• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ARM64][ROM][11.0][OFFICAL] AICP 16.1 [Addison]

Search This thread

marcost22

Jun 26, 2019
Moto Z Play
Moto Z2 Play
yeah, as i expected most of the tweaks it's applying aren't applicable to our kernel/android version. Not saying it's doing nothing but either most of those tweaks are already part of the rom, or don't apply at all

bower1994

Dec 1, 2010
Hi! It's nice to encounter someone who goes in-depth for this kind of stuff. While yes it is true that the device launched with a 32bit kernel and is now running a 64bit kernel camera issues mostly stem from the blobs being 8.0 based, between android O MR1 and R a lot of changes to fw_av have been merged fundamentally changing how camera is supposed to work. I've done my best to patch them up but some still slip through. Is the shifting colors green-ish in nature? If so i might know the issue, otherwise a logcat might help. Otherwise setting persist.camera.HAL3.enabled to 0 in build.prop will disable camera2 and might help you out.

PS: I know it's not a kernel issue because even devices like Moto One that launched with a 64bit kernel use 32bit camera blobs, that is because the kernel driver is 32bit always

Curious, after the last update everything should be smooth (I'd forgotten to pin SystemUI), mind attaching /data/lspeed/log/main_log.log?
Hey thanks for the reply! I wouldn't quite say that I go really in-depth! I am in no way savy about how exactly the develoment works but I've been around long enough and always been a flashalcoholic to know a little bit I guess :). To the point now:
I have been waiting to take the phone from my girlfriend into my hands and I tried to deactivate camera 2 api. It seems it's working! I checked that it was correctly deactivated with a play store app and it's really working and the washed off colors intermitent switching have disappeared from whatsapp video calls. I couldn't quite test lots of camera apps but for the moment it's certainly a succes. I could still changue it back and grab some logs if you think that would be useful nontheless.

Thank you very much for keeping such a old device alive! In my opinion, it still has a pretty capable cpu even for this days. A pity how the companies always let die the hardware to get the new sales right?

Have a wonderful day my friend. I'll be sending you some beer/cafe money soon ;).

EDIT: I see a donation button in OP but it's fur AICP. While I appreciate the work, I was wondering if you personally had a link from yourself. Thanks =)

marcost22

Jun 26, 2019
Moto Z Play
Moto Z2 Play
Hey thanks for the reply! I wouldn't quite say that I go really in-depth! I am in no way savy about how exactly the develoment works but I've been around long enough and always been a flashalcoholic to know a little bit I guess :). To the point now:
I have been waiting to take the phone from my girlfriend into my hands and I tried to deactivate camera 2 api. It seems it's working! I checked that it was correctly deactivated with a play store app and it's really working and the washed off colors intermitent switching have disappeared from whatsapp video calls. I couldn't quite test lots of camera apps but for the moment it's certainly a succes. I could still changue it back and grab some logs if you think that would be useful nontheless.

Thank you very much for keeping such a old device alive! In my opinion, it still has a pretty capable cpu even for this days. A pity how the companies always let die the hardware to get the new sales right?

Have a wonderful day my friend. I'll be sending you some beer/cafe money soon ;).

EDIT: I see a donation button in OP but it's fur AICP. While I appreciate the work, I was wondering if you personally had a link from yourself. Thanks =)
Do tell? How long have you been around if you don't mind me asking? Me i've been around since ICS days, not as a dev of course.
Glad that it's working for you! While i'd like a logcat to track the issue down, as they say "if it ain't broken don't fix it" so, your call.

Yeah, i'm a dev for this and it's big brother, albus (Same cpu, +1 gig of ram and better camera).

Yeah, don't have to tell us devs that, you know that the big sales point of the Z line was it's SW support as well? We were promised three mayor android versions, they followed through with the first Z (6.0.1->7.1.1->8.0.0) the Z2's (7.1.1->8.0.0->9) but with the Z3 they completely dropped the ball (8.0->9.0)

Cheers to you, and yeah i don't like having a donate button tbh, it makes this feel like less of a hobby but if enough people show interest i just might have to make one. Do donate to AICP tho! Those servers aren't cheap and they are a really nice bunch, come to the discord sometime ;)

JIaroJIy4

Sep 18, 2012
In case I'm asking stuff that was mentioned a number of times - just shoot me in the foot.
I'm using XT1635-02 (I have SD-card bug but I guess I messed up repairs again).
1. My camera is not doing 4K video recording - it doesn't go higher than 1920x1080 (FullHD).
Is this intentional or "bug" or related to my hardware?
2. In other ARM64 ROMs encryption was broken - is it fixed here? If so - how can we check?
3. Is there a recommended version of TWRP recovery? Links aren't necessary, version number should suffice.

If these things are global - can you add information in the OP so people get less confused (I hope).
P.S. I have to applaud for the amount of work done to get this running
P.P.S. Sooner (or later) I will be testing AICP on Moto G4 Play (have to fix broken bootloader on hardware level).

Last edited:

marcost22

Jun 26, 2019
Moto Z Play
Moto Z2 Play
In case I'm asking stuff that was mentioned a number of times - just shoot me in the foot.
I'm using XT1635-02 (I have SD-card bug but I guess I messed up repairs again).
1. My camera is not doing 4K video recording - it doesn't go higher than 1920x1080 (FullHD).
Is this intentional or "bug" or related to my hardware?
2. In other ARM64 ROMs encryption was broken - is it fixed here? If so - how can we check?
3. Is there a recommended version of TWRP recovery? Links aren't necessary, version number should suffice.

If these things are global - can you add information in the OP so people get less confused (I hope).
P.S. I have to applaud for the amount of work done to get this running
P.P.S. Sooner (or later) I will be testing AICP on Moto G4 Play (have to fix broken bootloader on hardware level).
Haven't heard of that sdcard bug; care to explain?

1. If you are talking about the included camera, that's because it isn't designed to do so; snap cam is designed to just cover the basics, something like opencamera or gcam will allow you to record at 4k (tho i wouldn't recommend it due to hw encoding limitations)
2. It works here, go to settings->security->encryption->encrypt device and if you have >80% battery you'll see the encrypt button, click it and the phone will reboot to start encrypting, after that it will reboot again, fully encrypted
3. The official one, as is expected unless specified, i'm working on a build of twrp-9 because otherwise you can't decrypt the phone in twrp (twrp limitation) but it's slow and it will be available through official channels when it's done

Usually issues like these are added in the "Know issues" section, if it isn't there it's expected to work
Not that much work thankfully, some oddities here and there, but that's the fun part of it ;)
Ah, harpia, i'm good friends with the developer for it

JIaroJIy4

Sep 18, 2012
Haven't heard of that sdcard bug; care to explain?

1. If you are talking about the included camera, that's because it isn't designed to do so; snap cam is designed to just cover the basics, something like opencamera or gcam will allow you to record at 4k (tho i wouldn't recommend it due to hw encoding limitations)
2. It works here, go to settings->security->encryption->encrypt device and if you have >80% battery you'll see the encrypt button, click it and the phone will reboot to start encrypting, after that it will reboot again, fully encrypted
3. The official one, as is expected unless specified, i'm working on a build of twrp-9 because otherwise you can't decrypt the phone in twrp (twrp limitation) but it's slow and it will be available through official channels when it's done

Usually issues like these are added in the "Know issues" section, if it isn't there it's expected to work
Not that much work thankfully, some oddities here and there, but that's the fun part of it ;)
Ah, harpia, i'm good friends with the developer for it
SDCard bug - almost none of my SD cards (16,64 or 128GB) are no longer recognized. When I plug them in (in device mode) in logcat I get only one message:
--- mmc_gpio_cd_irqt: mmc cd gpio status: 1 (which may not even be related to SD card slot at all)
and it changes to status: 0 upon unplugging. Most likely some hardware failure - I had to replace screen and battery and during assembly might have misaligned some parts (because speaker sounds like complete garbage unless I press onto the screen)
BTW - this issue persists in any TWRP recovery, definitely pointing to hardware error - If I use USB-C hub and plug the same SD in card reader - it's recognized without any issues.

About my questions:
1. But 4K video recording is available in Stock ROM - was it a "hack" on Motorola/Lenovo part?
3. Still would like to hear which version is preferred. For instance I cannot flash anything above version 3.5.0. unless I repartition Recovery (they're 16.5 MB while partition is only 16.0). And version 3.5.0. in particular after several boots will not be able to work with "internal_sd" or data partition properly. Leaving me with 3.3.1.

marcost22

Jun 26, 2019
Moto Z Play
Moto Z2 Play
SDCard bug - almost none of my SD cards (16,64 or 128GB) are no longer recognized. When I plug them in (in device mode) in logcat I get only one message:
--- mmc_gpio_cd_irqt: mmc cd gpio status: 1 (which may not even be related to SD card slot at all)
and it changes to status: 0 upon unplugging. Most likely some hardware failure - I had to replace screen and battery and during assembly might have misaligned some parts (because speaker sounds like complete garbage unless I press onto the screen)
BTW - this issue persists in any TWRP recovery, definitely pointing to hardware error - If I use USB-C hub and plug the same SD in card reader - it's recognized without any issues.

About my questions:
1. But 4K video recording is available in Stock ROM - was it a "hack" on Motorola/Lenovo part?
3. Still would like to hear which version is preferred. For instance I cannot flash anything above version 3.5.0. unless I repartition Recovery (they're 16.5 MB while partition is only 16.0). And version 3.5.0. in particular after several boots will not be able to work with "internal_sd" or data partition properly. Leaving me with 3.3.1.
That log indicates that the device can read that something is in the slot, if it isn't recognized you might have damaged a data line for it

1. Because motorola shipped their motocam, i could ship it too, but it's 8.0 based, and arm based so i'd have to do a lot of work for a camera that's honestly not that great. Snap is there just as a basic camera, giving you the choice that if you want more you can download anything
3. Wouldn't be able to answer, but hearing that it really sounds like i gotta step up the twrp application

JIaroJIy4

Sep 18, 2012
That log indicates that the device can read that something is in the slot, if it isn't recognized you might have damaged a data line for it

1. Because motorola shipped their motocam, i could ship it too, but it's 8.0 based, and arm based so i'd have to do a lot of work for a camera that's honestly not that great. Snap is there just as a basic camera, giving you the choice that if you want more you can download anything
3. Wouldn't be able to answer, but hearing that it really sounds like i gotta step up the twrp application
That log line actually indicated whether SIM/SDCard tray is installed or removed. Even if I install empty tray I get these lines.
Since reassembly was in order - and yes, contact group was misaligned. Surprisingly both SIM card slots worked (which made me very confused). But now I've broken a flex cable (battery temp sensor) and now battery is "cold"(-26°C), so I'm into some additional expenses (it's not that bad though).

Additionally I have more questions:
1. Battery - Why is "nominal" capacity reported as 3000 mAh? Can't we update that value in next builds to proper factory value of 3510 mAh? I know it's a nitpick and phone is half a decade old (so not even replacement batteries will get that capacity) but it would be nice.
2. (Probably not your specialty) In AICP Extras there are two Statusbar network activity - normal works but provides only bytes/s value - I would like the option to choose between bytes and bits per second. And "Expanded statusbar network activity" doesn't seem to work at all (if logs would be helpful - can provide, but I require some pointing towards proper logs of that matter)
3. About that camera app - including motocam is completely up to you and optional (OpenCamera cannot record video in 4K btw, I tested).
4. Since I'm onto subject of included apps and features - Digital TV app doesn't work at all for me - no on-screen error messages or anything - it isn't a big deal, but might as well share this info (hopefully it's not a double report) - can possibly assist with logging that.

Last edited:

marcost22

Jun 26, 2019
Moto Z Play
Moto Z2 Play
That log line actually indicated whether SIM/SDCard tray is installed or removed. Even if I install empty tray I get these lines.
Since reassembly was in order - and yes, contact group was misaligned. Surprisingly both SIM card slots worked (which made me very confused). But now I've broken a flex cable (battery temp sensor) and now battery is "cold"(-26°C), so I'm into some additional expenses (it's not that bad though).

Additionally I have more questions:
1. Battery - Why is "nominal" capacity reported as 3000 mAh? Can't we update that value in next builds to proper factory value of 3510 mAh? I know it's a nitpick and phone is half a decade old (so not even replacement batteries will get that capacity) but it would be nice.
2. (Probably not your specialty) In AICP Extras there are two Statusbar network activity - normal works but provides only bytes/s value - I would like the option to choose between bytes and bits per second. And "Expanded statusbar network activity" doesn't seem to work at all (if logs would be helpful - can provide, but I require some pointing towards proper logs of that matter)
3. About that camera app - including motocam is completely up to you and optional (OpenCamera cannot record video in 4K btw, I tested).
4. Since I'm onto subject of included apps and features - Digital TV app doesn't work at all for me - no on-screen error messages or anything - it isn't a big deal, but might as well share this info (hopefully it's not a double report) - can possibly assist with logging that.

1. I have no idea as that isn't handled from my side, it might be that something changed in how android expects the battery capacity to be reported between O and now, but i'll have to look into it

2. I'll have to ask the team and come back to you on that. The "Expanded statusbar network activity" works as intended, maybe the wording is a bit vague, but it adds that activity to the expanded statusbar. I.E, when you pull down to show all of your quicksettings it appears in the corner

3. I wont do it because it's a huge time investment for a terrible camera app, opencamera IS capable of 4k recording (that's why i recommended it in the first place). You need to go settings-> Recording settings -> Video resolution and there you can select 4k. I know it is recording in 4k because the bitrate matches and so do the dimensions

4. It's for a tv moto mod; this one
The app was designed to only appear on brazil retail units, but since i can't check and choose who installs the rom i keep it for compatibility

JIaroJIy4

Sep 18, 2012
1. I have no idea as that isn't handled from my side, it might be that something changed in how android expects the battery capacity to be reported between O and now, but i'll have to look into it

2. I'll have to ask the team and come back to you on that. The "Expanded statusbar network activity" works as intended, maybe the wording is a bit vague, but it adds that activity to the expanded statusbar. I.E, when you pull down to show all of your quicksettings it appears in the corner

3. I wont do it because it's a huge time investment for a terrible camera app, opencamera IS capable of 4k recording (that's why i recommended it in the first place). You need to go settings-> Recording settings -> Video resolution and there you can select 4k. I know it is recording in 4k because the bitrate matches and so do the dimensions

4. It's for a tv moto mod; this one
The app was designed to only appear on brazil retail units, but since i can't check and choose who installs the rom i keep it for compatibility
3. I managed to get 4K recording to work. In OpenCamera you have to pick "Camera2 API" before anything else.
If "Original Camera API" is used - resolution does not show up in the list and "Force 4K UHD" toggle does nothing - none of the recordings using "original API" were made in 4K, only in FullHD.

Also about 2. I thought "Expanded" version adds stuff so shame on me for not checking properly. Cheers

marcost22

Jun 26, 2019
Moto Z Play
Moto Z2 Play
3. I managed to get 4K recording to work. In OpenCamera you have to pick "Camera2 API" before anything else.
If "Original Camera API" is used - resolution does not show up in the list and "Force 4K UHD" toggle does nothing - none of the recordings using "original API" were made in 4K, only in FullHD.

Also about 2. I thought "Expanded" version adds stuff so shame on me for not checking properly. Cheers
Sorry, i forget; i've used it for so long that i always forget it comes by default using Camera1

Yeah, that's a clarity issue on the rom developers, but given that two of them are german i think we can cut them some slack

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

logo_black.png

AICP
    Android Ice Cold Project

AICP is known by everyone as the "Ice Cold Project" that started on a Desire HD years ago (2012) and since then has evolved into a mature ROM with the BEST community that you can find!!!

Until Android Lollipop, the ROM has always been based on AOKP. Unfortunately, since AOKP stopped development (but made a comeback later), we changed our base to CM.
    With the re-brand of CM to LineageOS (LOS), we became LineageOS based with some tweaks from AOSP and then changed to be based on the "Ground Zero Open Source Project" (GZOSP) for Android Pie.
    We changed again for Android Q-R with a base of AOSP repositories and some additions from LineageOS for device-specific repositories.

If there are any bugs we will sort them out if it concerns our codebase. This ROM isn't LineageOS supported, so there is no need to report errors/bugs to them!!

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you. Hard & a lot.
    */

features.png

Feature list (rough overview)

credits.png

In the beginning we would like to thank:

GZOSP team
    LineageOS & CM (R.I.P.) team
    @maxwen and the rest of the OmniRom team
    DU team
    Resurrection Remix team
    AOSiP team
    Community

team.png

@LorD ClockaN
    @eyosen
    @semdoc
    @SpiritCroc
    @wartomato
    @Miccia
    plus the rest of the crazy bunch that we call "team"

donations.png

We are paying for servers that build weeklies and everything that comes with this, so EVERY DONATION will really be appreciated and be used to cover those expenses.
    Thank you!!

downloads.png

Latest Stable Release Version 16.1

Download link: https://dwnld.aicp-rom.com/

Please note that official builds will be deleted from our servers every month due to maintenance services.
    Starting with AICP 15 we will be storing a copy of the most recent release here: https://media.aicp-rom.com/vault/.

changelog.png

Full Changelog link: https://dwnld.aicp-rom.com/
    (Just click the changelog button next to the download link in the list of builds available for your device)

issues.png

Camera mods are not and will not be supported

FAQ:
    Before using the ROM:
    Q. Can I have an ETA for the next build?
    A. Yes, just look here to see what day your device is built on.

Q. Does this ROM support custom kernels officially?
    A. No. You can still use them, but the discussion should go in the thread of the respective kernel. We don't offer support for bugs you might encounter while using them!

Q. Does this ROM include GApps or do I have to flash them separately?
    A. No, we do not include prebuilt GApps, because of possible licensing issues with Google Software and because some users do not want GApps preinstalled as they want to use alternative services like MicroG or just prefer flashing a GApps "flavor" of their liking.

Q. Does this ROM use the camera or gallery app from stock?
    A. It depends on the device. In most cases these apps include proprietary libs/code and cannot be included in the device trees on Github or we risk having the ROM banned from Github. In this case, we might try to make them installable (separate from the ROM zip), or we might provide a version of these apps with the ROM that doesn't include any proprietary libs. It's also sometimes the case that these apps are simply not included because we didn't feel the need to do so for the device in question.

Q. Does this ROM have Extended/Scrolling screenshot?
    A. No, extended screenshot was implemented using an app extracted and modified from manufacturer firmware/system images and is proprietary as well. It led to the closing of many ROM's sources on GitHub.

Q. Does this ROM have FaceUnlock?
    A. No, FaceUnlock was also an app extracted and modified from some manufacturers. Even Google removed the Trusted Face (FaceUnlock) feature for security reasons on Android 9.0/10.x. Adding the modified feature did the same to ROM sources as described above.

Q. Can you add (insert favorite weather provider)?
    A. No, we cannot add more weather providers as the implementations change and we (the ROM) now have to pay for most services, and that is not cheap, so we decided to use the best free service that we could find, the only way to add your own is for users to apply for their own API key to use their preferred service.

Q. Does this ROM have private official builds with the above proprietary libs included?
    A. No, we believe in open source software, this way users know what's in the build and can replicate it themselves, all official builds are built on our build servers using the public sources from github and no one can (or would) add their own private sources to the build.

Flashing the ROM:
    Q. What do I need to know before flashing?
    A. Check the flashing instructions...

Q. Can the builds be dirty flashed over each other?
    A. Yes, this is the usual behavior on flashing a new official build by (or using) the build-in updater service.

Q. How do I 'dirty flash' builds?
    A. Wipe the System, Cache, and ART/Dalvik cache. Flash the ROM, GApps (only needed if you wipe the system), your preferred root solution, and reboot. Or just use the OTA app to perform that task for you.

Q. How do I flash kernel builds?
    A1. If it's a .img file, boot into TWRP and go to the install page in TWRP, in the bottom right corner select "install image", select the desired kernel, then select "boot" as the destination, then swipe to flash, then go back to the install screen and install your root method again, if you don't want to lose root and reboot.
    A2. If it's a flashable ZIP, you can flash it together with a ROM update or separately. Go to the install page in TWRP, choose the kernel zip (or add it to the flash queue right after the ROM zip). Then add your root method to the queue if you don't want to lose root. Now swipe to flash and reboot afterward.

Using the ROM:

Q. Do I need to provide a logcat if I'm reporting a bug?
    A. If you want it to be fixed faster (or at all) then yes, you should definitely provide a logcat AND the model name. (Note: Please just link the logcat from your GDrive, Dropbox, etc. Do not post the content here. Thanks.)

Q. How do I get a logcat, what type should I get, and more questions that can conveniently be answered by my pre-determined answer?
    A1. Read this thoroughly. Also, here's a good app for getting logs: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tortel.syslog (Root needed).
    A2. If you are already rooted, you can use the built-in feature to make a logcat and provide that. Just look into the others section on the AICP Extras main page.

instructions.png

The ROM should contain everything you need to enjoy Android R. You don't need to install any Add-ons, simply download the latest ROM and GApps, then follow the flashing instructions and go!
    If you want the device to run the ROM "rooted", you can flash a root solution of your choice after the ROM zip file.

It is STRONGLY recommended to fully wipe your device before flashing and please avoid restoring system apps and system data with Titanium Backup (or with any backup/restore app) as this can cause stability issues that are very hard to debug, restoring regular apps is fine though.
    If you believe you know what you're doing - then fine, go ahead, but please don't complain if you experience any strange behavior.

How to flash for the first time:
    (Again: Don't do it if you don't know!)

1. Download the ROM and GApps and transfer them to your device.
    2. Boot to recovery (TWRP recommended).
    3. Wipe the System, Cache, and Data (you might need to format the data partition!).
    4. Flash the ROM zip file.
    5. Flash the GApps (optional, needed for e.g. Google Playstore to work)
    6. Reboot and set up your device, enable developer settings and in them, OEM unlock/Advanced reboot/USB tethering.
    7. Reboot back into TWRP recovery.
    8. Flash the root solution of your choice (optional).
    9. Reboot your device.
    The procedure may vary from device to device and is a bit different on system updates!

The ROM has GApps persistence in between dirty flashes, so you only have to flash them once! This might differ on AvB Devices.

Currently supported Root Solution:

Magisk stable
    Magisk versions >= 20.4 don't usually need to be flashed on every dirty flash.
    Depending on the device, you may need to flash it every time, unless your maintainer says otherwise, you should be fine.

PREREQUISITE FOR OTA ("Over-The-Air" Updates):
    TWRP recovery is needed to be able to flash using the built-in OTA app.
    Please make sure that you are on the latest TWRP recovery, keep in mind that this could also be an unofficial version!
    On encrypted devices, you will have to enter your PIN/password in TWRP before the process starts.

sources.png

If you want to contribute to AICP, or if you want to see what is being worked on/merged, feel free to visit our Gerrit code review system. (Link is at the bottom!!!)

Kernel source:
    Device tree source:
    Vendor source:

Follow this guide if you want to extract the vendor blobs

ROM & Additional links:
    AICP's Homepage
    AICP Gerrit Code Review
    AICP sources on Github
    AICP Download page for official builds and media content
    AICP Discord Community
    AICP Telegram channel for server notifications on official builds

Contributors: