ART in KitKat - May replace Dalvik Cache in the future

Search This thread

manast

Jan 14, 2011
Chennai
Just read this piece of news on GSMArena.

http://www.gsmarena.com/google_debuts_art_in_kitkat_aims_to_change_android-news-7143.php

Android Run Time is available in KitKat 4.4 and might well replace Dalvik cache in the future Android versions. :good: It is expected to cut app start up times in half. :D

Looks it is going to be an interesting run-up to Galaxy S5! Samsung is also investing in improving Touchwiz and rumors are it will introduce ISOCELL camera as well.

negrobembon

Jul 17, 2011
panamá
yeah, with all these changes and samsung finally deciding to fix touchwiz, the S5 might be a truly awesome device( but so will the other flagships from other brands)

the competition will be intense next year

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RossFixxed

negrobembon

Jul 17, 2011
panamá
Unless there's a GE it won't be.

a GE would be awesome but the touchwiz version is what matters the most to Samsung because most of galaxy flagships sales come from the touchwiz version, most people don't even know the S4 had a google edition

some don't even know the difference between 9500 or 9505, all they see is an S4, this is people that matters the most to Samsumg, the average consumer

Bordo_Bereli51

Dec 27, 2012
Vienna
a GE would be awesome but the touchwiz version is what matters the most to Samsung because most of galaxy flagships sales come from the touchwiz version, most people don't even know the S4 had a google edition

some don't even know the difference between 9500 or 9505, all they see is an S4, this is people that matters the most to Samsumg, the average consumer

+1 Yeah You are right!

sorg

Sep 5, 2006
台灣
And when ART will replace dalvik finally, you can say bye bye to android modding, at least to the way as it's done now. ROMs will come pre-compiled into ART like it's now done in dalvik (odex). Dalvik can be easily decompiled into text almost like source code, while ART will be native code and won't be decompiled the same way. It will require disassemble and hex patching which is not portable even between ROMs of the same device.

manast

Jan 14, 2011
Chennai
And when ART will replace dalvik finally, you can say bye bye to android modding, at least to the way as it's done now. ROMs will come pre-compiled into ART like it's now done in dalvik (odex). Dalvik can be easily decompiled into text almost like source code, while ART will be native code and won't be decompiled the same way. It will require disassemble and hex patching which is not portable even between ROMs of the same device.

By modding, I assume you mean changing the appearance of the ROM through patches, Wanam Xposed etc. Right?

Custom ROM's like CM will continue to exist and become even better I guess ;)

sorg

Sep 5, 2006
台灣
By modding, I assume you mean changing the appearance of the ROM through patches, Wanam Xposed etc. Right?

Yep, i mean modding of stock ROM (adding new functionality, not only appearance) with full hardware features enabled. ROMs like CM/AOSP with crippled functionality will probably continue to exist, but don't expect the same freedom as now. Even CM/AOSP ports are based on hacks and info taken from dalvik de-compilation. When new devices with ART-only engine will appear, don't expect quick port of CM/AOSP.

Having dalvik code is almost like having source code. You can compare how many mods are based on dalvik code modifications and binary (*.so files) modifications. I would say 100:1 or even 1000:1.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unless there's a GE it won't be.

Yep, i mean modding of stock ROM (adding new functionality, not only appearance) with full hardware features enabled. ROMs like CM/AOSP with crippled functionality will probably continue to exist, but don't expect the same freedom as now. Even CM/AOSP ports are based on hacks and info taken from dalvik de-compilation. When new devices with ART-only engine will appear, don't expect quick port of CM/AOSP.

Having dalvik code is almost like having source code. You can compare how many mods are based on dalvik code modifications and binary (*.so files) modifications. I would say 100:1 or even 1000:1.
    yeah, with all these changes and samsung finally deciding to fix touchwiz, the S5 might be a truly awesome device( but so will the other flagships from other brands)

the competition will be intense next year