arter97 kernel for LG G Watch

Search This thread

johnvuong1999

Feb 11, 2015
San Francisco
on a Ubuntu 14.04 can I run build_kernel.sh script to build the kernel by myself?
And I have a stock version 5.0.1 G watch.

---------- Post added at 01:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

I try to compile it by myself.
gcc-arm-linux-androideabi can not found, I need to download the latest version Android NDK to compile the kernel? or I have to compile the gcc-arm-linux-androideabi from Google uploaded AOSP source code?
I mean I have to use the same version as Android wear 5.0.1 used gcc to compile it?

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

It is said android wear 5.0.1 need by compiled by gcc version 4.9 with clang 3.6
but the latest NDK gcc version is 4.8, so how to compile the kernel?

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 AM ----------

my mistake from here https://android.googlesource.com/pl...abi-4.8/+/android-wear-5.0.0_r1/arm-eabi/bin/ , it sompiled with gcc 4.8, for 64 bit arm, it compiled with gcc 4.9

make[1]: stat: crypto/md5.c: File name too long
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `crypto/md5.c', needed by `crypto/md5.o'. Stop.

it seems, you link md5.c from other directory.

---------- Post added at 02:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 AM ----------

./build_kernel.sh
kerneldir = /home/vip/arter97-android_kernel_lge_dory
ramfs_source = /home/vip/arter97-android_kernel_lge_dory/ramdisk
ramfs_tmp = /tmp/arter97-dory-ramdisk
Compiling kernel
scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
CHK include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
CHK include/generated/utsrelease.h
make[1]: `include/generated/mach-types.h' is up to date.
CALL scripts/checksyscalls.sh
CC scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s
GEN scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.h
HOSTCC scripts/mod/file2alias.o
HOSTLD scripts/mod/modpost
CHK include/generated/compile.h
CC crypto/md5.o
LD crypto/built-in.o
LINK vmlinux
LD vmlinux.o
arch/arm/lib/lib.a: error adding symbols: value
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

I am compiling on a Ubunbu 14.04, with NDK from https://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/ndk/index.html#Installing
why failed?

Lasiu

Aug 15, 2014
I'd like to know if this kernel supports recovery :p I mean, i saw some posts long time ago that recovery is not accesible with this kernel or something like that (im not sure if it was about twrp one, or stock... if only twrp, then its ok). Can someone tell me how it works now? (Not going to mention that I'd like to know if its 5.0.2 compatible, or we have to wait for update :p)

fossean

Sep 7, 2004
I can vouch that the kernel runs fine on lollipop 5.0.2 — my LG G arrived today and the first thing I did was to update, unlock, root, install TWRP and arter97 :)

If you want to keep access to TWRP, you must delete f2fs_wipe.img from the kernel folder before running install_windows.cmd. Then the file system remains as ext4 rather than being converted to f2fs which is still incompatible with TWRP.

Lasiu

Aug 15, 2014
I can vouch that the kernel runs fine on lollipop 5.0.2 — my LG G arrived today and the first thing I did was to update, unlock, root, install TWRP and arter97 :)

If you want to keep access to TWRP, you must delete f2fs_wipe.img from the kernel folder before running install_windows.cmd. Then the file system remains as ext4 rather than being converted to f2fs which is still incompatible with TWRP.

Good to know! I will try flashing it. Thanks for tip about twrp :D Im not sure if should offtop here like that, but btw i just realised that busybox and kernel adiutor works on gwatch, just sideload :p Maybe someone will need this info :p
EDIT: Actually, not having this wipe file will somehow affect my watch or make this kernel work worse? :p

Last edited:
Reactions: ratcom

xenx

Feb 26, 2007
Everett, WA
Good to know! I will try flashing it. Thanks for tip about twrp :D Im not sure if should offtop here like that, but btw i just realised that busybox and kernel adiutor works on gwatch, just sideload :p Maybe someone will need this info :p
EDIT: Actually, not having this wipe file will somehow affect my watch or make this kernel work worse? :p
f2fs definitely is an improvement. It's not leaps and bounds, but it's a solid enough increase. However, it hobbles your ability to reset the watch or format data. Normal people, it shouldn't matter too much. It's only a real downside if you do a lot of rom flashing on your phone or move the watch between devices regularly. You'll have to hook it up to a computer to do the reset.

fossean

Sep 7, 2004

If you are asking whether deleting f2fs_wipe.img will affect the running of watch/kernel, then no, it only affects the file system. Arter97 himself suggested a few posts earlier that it can safely be deleted. The installer then defaults to standard ext4 fs. I've used F2FS on a couple of other devices, and some people say it runs a bit faster. But until TWRP for this watch is compatible I think I'll wait.

Thanks for the tip about kernel auditor, that's useful!

Lasiu

Aug 15, 2014
If you are asking whether deleting f2fs_wipe.img will affect the running of watch/kernel, then no, it only affects the file system. Arter97 himself suggested a few posts earlier that it can safely be deleted. The installer then defaults to standard ext4 fs. I've used F2FS on a couple of other devices, and some people say it runs a bit faster. But until TWRP for this watch is compatible I think I'll wait.

Thanks for the tip about kernel auditor, that's useful!

Vibration strength can be adjusted from there. Though it still isnt enough for me... If there was a way/app to make vibrations longer :eek: (like tweaks in gohma). I currently updated my watch to 5.0.2 and flashed gohma over it to get back to 5.0.1, so now i wont get this stupid notification about update. Its also nice solutions for those of you who dont want this crappy notification on their watch.

Reactions: fossean

Lasiu

Aug 15, 2014
Init?

Runs good on mine. Thanks.

Always loved faux kernel so seeing this was nice. Thanks A

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk Pro

Let me explain my problem. I want to make vibrations longer and im doing this by command/script that is changing value in file in init.d to 190 instead of 20 :eek: What is a problem is that everytime i restart watch it goes back to stock so i have to run script again. Its not big problem since i can do it like with 2 or 3 touches with special app, but its a little bit annoying. I realised that i have to edit boot.img to run this script on boot so im further exploring what and how to do some things :p If you got any other idea, then tell me :p

theinspector

Mar 16, 2014
Will this be updated for 5.0.2? The battery life is amazing on it. Been on for three days and at 61% still. My only problem is the vibration is not good.

Edit: people are saying it works already with 5.0.2? Is battery life better or worse then stock 5.0.2?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    gwatch_arter97.png

/* Features */

Upgraded to the latest Linux kernel
    Upgraded to the latest Google Linux kernel fork
    Compiled using latest Linaro-toolchain with optimization options
    Speed improvements
    Battery life improvements

/* Details */

Upgraded to the latest Linux 3.10.75
    Kernel & ramdisk compression in LZO format
    Full unaligned access enabled
    BFQ v7r5 I/O Schedulers added
    Improved interactive CPU Governor replacing stock userspace governor
    Full CPU frequency range 0.3 GHz ~ 1.2 GHz unlocked
    Touch booster implemented for buttery smooth touch responsiveness (by faux123)
    No-op I/O Scheduler replacing stock ROW scheduler
    Asynchronous I/O speed improved
    Asynchronous fsync from hTC ported (by faux123)
    Disabled MMC-CRC for better speed
    Random driver backported from Linux 3.18+
    Westwood as default TCP congestion control for best networking speed
    Built with LTO(Link-Time-Optimizations) to provide optimum performance
    Full f2fs switch for much better file-system performance
    i2c clock rates lowered properly for better battery life
    SELinux set to permissive
    Power-efficient workqueues from Linaro
    Uses Samsung's sdcardfs replacing Google's FUSE daemon for better battery and performance
    Vibration strength increased 25%

/* Disclaimer */

Your warranty is now void.
    I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.

/* Supported device */

LG G Watch (LG-W100)

/* Unsupported device */

LG G Watch R
    Samsung Gear Live
    Motorola Moto 360

/* What you need to know */

'Opensource' does not mean 'no-respect'
    Leave credits to original developers

Stock LG G Watch kernel locks CPU frequency to 0.7 GHz with userspace CPU governor
    This kernel unlocks all 0.3 GHz ~ 1.2 GHz range to improve battery life and performance

Your device's data will be wiped if you're not already on f2fs

/* Thanks to */

faux123
    temasek

/* Contact */

Email : [email protected]
    Twitter : @arter97_dev

/* Downloads */

Git repository

/* Installation */

The installation takes place on your computer.

Download installer from above URL
    and execute install_linux.sh(from Terminal) or install_windows.cmd depending on your computer OS.
    Follow the instructions on your screen.

XDA:DevDB Information
    arter97 kernel for LG G Watch, Kernel for the LG G Watch

Contributors
    arter97, faux123, temasek
    Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 2.1
    Stable Release Date: 2015-01-16

Created 2014-10-13
    Last Updated 2015-04-21
    Next version will be ready for 5.0.1 Lollipop :)

Already merged..

Sent from my SHV-E330S using XDA Free mobile app
    Version 2.1 is up :)

Upgraded to the latest Linux 3.10.64
    File-system performance improved
    NEON utilizations added
    f2fs updated
    Misc performance & stability improvements
    ext4 / f2fs hybrid support added
    Sigh.

I need to totally rework the kernel for Android 5.1, which is a nightmare.

It'll take some time, don't expect any updates soon.
    Greetings to LG G Watch owners..

Hope I can contribute to this wearable community :)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone