• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Was this thread helpful?

• Total voters
Search This thread

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
After I extract, I get 5 different .tar.md5 files, one of which is significantly larger than the rest. I'm not sure how to extract the tar from that and which ones to install though.

OK, that is what you need, here you have a guide how to install through Odin https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/use-odin-flash-samsung-galaxy-stock-firmware-0182037/ in the case you are in some issue with bootloop you would need to erase data then you have to choose from the two CSC files; plain CSC not CSC_xxx. I hope you took some notes of the last build firmware you were on so the bootloader version had to be same or superior than 7 (if you'll go to flash this firmware)

Since I don't have a ROM installed, I have not tried Smart Switch with the device on. I have tried when I had an error message, another time on the "downloading, do not turn off target" screen after holding down all the buttons

SmartSwitch for backup purposes just work while device is running, you have to set it up firstly. No, you can't backup nothing in download mode, this mode is only for flashing purposes.

, and once in TWRP. All have shown that the device is not supported.

I didn't quite understand this line, if you sometime ran on TWRP then you could back up almost everything.

I also watched a video on Smart Switch where one of the comments linked to this https://forum. xda-developers.com/s7-edge/help/device-initialization-tab-smart-switch-t3700574) (space betwen . and xda to get around no links for me), saying that smart switch can no longer be used for stock flash or something along those lines.

BTW, really appreciate your help!

Well, I never recommend SmartSwitch to flash something, it never worked for me.

Sotureg

Oct 13, 2020
OK, that is what you need, here you have a guide how to install through Odin https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/use-odin-flash-samsung-galaxy-stock-firmware-0182037/ in the case you are in some issue with bootloop you would need to erase data then you have to choose from the two CSC files; plain CSC not CSC_xxx. I hope you took some notes of the last build firmware you were on so the bootloader version had to be same or superior than 7 (if you'll go to flash this firmware)

SmartSwitch for backup purposes just work while device is running, you have to set it up firstly. No, you can't backup nothing in download mode, this mode is only for flashing purposes.

I didn't quite understand this line, if you sometime ran on TWRP then you could back up almost everything.

Well, I never recommend SmartSwitch to flash something, it never worked for me.

Initially when I used Odin, I think I was installing ROM that was not for the same area, which causes it to fail (according to some youtube video). I switched to a patched version of Odin and it fully installed and booted. I really appreciate your help its been a stressful day :)

TBK12

Oct 14, 2020
Downgrade Modern Tablet to Old Android Version

Hi XDA,

First time poster, so I apologise if this isn't the right place. I just have a quick question and was hoping to get some insight from those a bit more knowledgeable.

I have an issue where a customer has a tablet purchased in 2019 (Samsung SM-T290 XSA) that currently requires running a discontinued but still business-critical app [no changing to a new system/app is not an option, trust me, I've tried to convince them]. The problem is that their old tablet died and this app requires a much older version of Android - thinking Marshmallow or Nougat. My question is whether or not this is possible? At this stage I'm happy to use non-stock/custom firmware if this has a chance of yielding a more stable experience.

I've tried searching the forum for this, and there a lot of posts regarding an older device to a newer OS, but very little information for the converse (understandably).

Any insight/guidance people have would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
TBK

Honda ef8

Oct 11, 2020
Sorry for my ignorance but it's there a way to pull the firmware off from my device so I can patch it I believe I read somewhere that Android image kitchen may do that. I'm not totally illiterate but it does get a little confusing at times since I don't do this for a living. Can I do these things without custom recovery (I'm aware I need to unlock the bootloader first which my device does have the option in dev mode and I know that's only the first step to unlocking bootloader)
you can use another device to do it but that device has to already be rooted and you need an OTG cable. You also will need to flash a few files to your device as well like ADB and fastboot. I've actually used my tablet to flash firmware to another device on several occasions.

Sent from my LGE LM-K500 using XDA Labs

Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hi XDA,

First time poster, so I apologise if this isn't the right place. I just have a quick question and was hoping to get some insight from those a bit more knowledgeable.

I have an issue where a customer has a tablet purchased in 2019 (Samsung SM-T290 XSA) that currently requires running a discontinued but still business-critical app [no changing to a new system/app is not an option, trust me, I've tried to convince them]. The problem is that their old tablet died and this app requires a much older version of Android - thinking Marshmallow or Nougat. My question is whether or not this is possible? At this stage I'm happy to use non-stock/custom firmware if this has a chance of yielding a more stable experience.

I've tried searching the forum for this, and there a lot of posts regarding an older device to a newer OS, but very little information for the converse (understandably).

Any insight/guidance people have would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
TBK

I never saw this kind of things, a device that was launched e.g., with Pie out of the box; has a firmware that was adapted/optimized and hard coded to this specific hardware specs to match with.

The most you could try is https://www.vmos.com/ actually running on nougat, i didn't test it so far in newer devices (actually I'm on 10) and also some OEMs like mine are very restrictive to let the app running well but you could let it a try.

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 5
Sorry for my ignorance but it's there a way to pull the firmware off from my device so I can patch it I believe I read somewhere that Android image kitchen may do that. I'm not totally illiterate but it does get a little confusing at times since I don't do this for a living. Can I do these things without custom recovery (I'm aware I need to unlock the bootloader first which my device does have the option in dev mode and I know that's only the first step to unlocking bootloader)

What device? You may be able to download the factory image for it, then pull the firmware from that

Honda ef8

Oct 11, 2020
It's the metro pcs by t mobile Revvl 4 model 5007z. I just got my old baby back 2 days ago (OnePlus One 64G, just installed Tugapower with Android 10 and it's way better than the brand new Revvl!!?) I want to know if I can use my OPO to do the work required on the Revvl without pc because I don't have access to one for a while (meaning unlock bootloader, pull whatever files I may need to patch for root) any help would be greatly appreciated!
What device? You may be able to download the factory image for it, then pull the firmware from that

Sumit6996

Oct 3, 2019
ADB errors

Hi Team,

I am getting two different errors while uninstalling the bloatware apps on samsung phone.

1. [DELETE_FAILED_DEVICE_POLICY_MANAGER]

2. [DELETE_FAILED_OWNER_BLOCKED]

Please help me to RESOLVE them out.

petar9404

Oct 20, 2020
Hey!! I need app to stream audio from phone 1 and my phone to play that audio live. I have access to both android phones and I want to hide the app and run it background

Nov 10, 2016
Ok, don't laugh at me.

I had an LG G3 D850 for AT&T which started giving me issues, but I love it. After looking around for something better (I don't want the latest & greatest), I determined that I really can't find anything bug-free for under $100, so decided to buy another LG G3.

The problem here is that it's on Android 5.0.1. Even when I put my SIM in, I can't update to 6.0. I can make/receive calls, so I know it's compatible on AT&T. However, whether I use LG Suite, or check for updates through the phone, I'm told this is the latest update. We all know this is false.

I see that there people who have updated to 7.0 or even 8.0 with a G3, so my questions are:
(a) How can I update to 6.0 without rooting? Or...
(b) If I have to root, which OS should I go with, and how do I do it?

Thanks!

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Ok, don't laugh at me.

I had an LG G3 D850 for AT&T which started giving me issues, but I love it. After looking around for something better (I don't want the latest & greatest), I determined that I really can't find anything bug-free for under $100, so decided to buy another LG G3.

The problem here is that it's on Android 5.0.1. Even when I put my SIM in, I can't update to 6.0. I can make/receive calls, so I know it's compatible on AT&T. However, whether I use LG Suite, or check for updates through the phone, I'm told this is the latest update. We all know this is false.

I see that there people who have updated to 7.0 or even 8.0 with a G3, so my questions are:
(a) How can I update to 6.0 without rooting? Or...
(b) If I have to root, which OS should I go with, and how do I do it?

Thanks!

Official updates stopped on MM (you don't need to root it to update till 6.0), here you have a complete guide and links to download the latest firmware for your device https://firmware-up.com/lg-g3 double check what step/s you are missing, you may consider that OTA updates may not work for a device 6 years old.

It looks like there are some newer versions like Android 7 or 8 (in the custom side), all you need is here https://forum.xda-developers.com/att-lg-g3

sk74261700027

Aug 10, 2016
Hello.

i am looking to solve an issue being experienced on a LG G4 phone.

the display is timing out while actively using the phone. like i can be doing something like tapping in a game, or scrolling through a list or in the web browser or even while using the phone app.

i have already considered it was the tap2wake function, but it is not. and have also tried a factory reset to no avail.

only work-a-round i found is to simply set the display timeout value to "Never", which is not something we want.

would someone know of a fix for this? how to fix? :(

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Hello.

i am looking to solve an issue being experienced on a LG G4 phone.

the display is timing out while actively using the phone. like i can be doing something like tapping in a game, or scrolling through a list or in the web browser or even while using the phone app.

i have already considered it was the tap2wake function, but it is not. and have also tried a factory reset to no avail.

only work-a-round i found is to simply set the display timeout value to "Never", which is not something we want.

would someone know of a fix for this? how to fix? :(
Sounds like a sensor may not be working correctly.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Sounds like a sensor may not be working correctly.

Might be an application forcing the device into sleep mode or at least stand by. Look for applications that might be forcing some kind of profile where the values override the system and shut the screen off at a set. Regardless of whether it's being used or not. Also look for applications in battery settings that are being optimized to use less power or resources and try giving an exemption to some of the system apps like the Android system itself and maybe the settings application.

you could try and locate what you believe to be the proximity sensor on the front of your device and find some way to block it and see if it has an effect on auto brightness and or shutting the screen off. if you notice a pattern then you might have your answer.

Sent from my LGE LM-K500 using XDA Labs

sk74261700027

Aug 10, 2016
@Droidriven @DragonFire1024

the sensor seems to be working fine and auto-brightness too. and the display properly turns off during phone calls when putting my finger over it.

i have went through every visible app and settings through app's and system settings too. checked things like accessibility settings and such. and, after trying a factory reset, i have also tried disabling some app's outright then restarting the phone. for the ones that started up, despite being disabled, i used the PC and ADB command line to uninstall those. ( they are restored on a factory reset, so no worries there. )

well, i don't know... this is just outright confusing. i am 100% certain this isn't normal, owning at least 8 Android phones myself and 3 of them being LG. of those 3, one is an LG K7 and another an LG Fortune.

i am completely stumped on this one.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
@Droidriven @DragonFire1024

the sensor seems to be working fine and auto-brightness too. and the display properly turns off during phone calls when putting my finger over it.

i have went through every visible app and settings through app's and system settings too. checked things like accessibility settings and such. and, after trying a factory reset, i have also tried disabling some app's outright then restarting the phone. for the ones that started up, despite being disabled, i used the PC and ADB command line to uninstall those. ( they are restored on a factory reset, so no worries there. )

well, i don't know... this is just outright confusing. i am 100% certain this isn't normal, owning at least 8 Android phones myself and 3 of them being LG. of those 3, one is an LG K7 and another an LG Fortune.

i am completely stumped on this one.
I'm thinking that the feature that turns off the screen due to no touch being detected might be going screwy on you. As in, it is turning off the screen even while you are using it because it somehow isn't aware that you are touching the screen/using the device. It might be another app interfering with this feature as @DragonFire1024 suggested.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Nov 10, 2016
Official updates stopped on MM (you don't need to root it to update till 6.0), here you have a complete guide and links to download the latest firmware for your device https://firmware-up.com/lg-g3 double check what step/s you are missing, you may consider that OTA updates may not work for a device 6 years old.

It looks like there are some newer versions like Android 7 or 8 (in the custom side), all you need is here https://forum.xda-developers.com/att-lg-g3

Sorry.... thanks for the help, but I'm looking for the "Upgrade Your G3 For Dummies" version, lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys..:)
    I would like you to go through XDA new users guide and you must read the FORUM RULES before posting here or anywhere else on xda.

The rate at which the new users are joining xda on daily basis is very high. A lot of users join because they have got some problems with their devices like bricked phone, bootloops etc. because of following incorrect processes. Some join to help out others, to share their knowledge and gain more.

So basically this thread is for all of those who want to ask questions and answer those.

So those who want to help here, just try to answer without flaming, let it be answered thousands of times earlier, show them the path, direction and let them do things on their own. Do not spoon feed, rather just try to point them to right direction.

This whole idea is of @undercover and the former OP Bruce Wayne and I thank him.

To The people asking questions here, don't forget to check for the links from 2nd post. That will help you increase your knowledge, and do answer the questions asked by others if you know the answer. Please don't simply say thanks if some member helps you, instead use the thanks button, that will help us keep this thread less cluttered.
    [Ask Any Question] [Help Thread] NOOB FRIENDLY

Here are the names of some of my friends helping you on the thread.(Updated often)
    @iamareebjamal
    @Zatta
    @dagger (the original OP of this thread)
    @Stryke_the_Orc
    @prototype-U
    @EatHeat
    @nlygamz
    @plegdroid
    @Gogeta
    @malybru
    @Jimlarck
    @ADDICT.ANK
    @Primokorn
    @luqman98
    @hnkotnis
    @thenookieforlife3
    @ИΘΘK¡€
    @Sam Nakamura
    @xunholyx

@SubwayChamp

@ktmom

@Ibuprophen

Please do let me know if I have missed some names..:)

For a list of guides,refer here.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2073370
    Thanks to @Hpsgill

Atlast

Please dont spam the thread..​
    Hi mate!
    Nice to see a much needed thread like this here.. hope new members as well as old ones find this thread useful! :thumbup:

"To err is human, to forgive is divine"
    Sent from my SGS II