Was this thread helpful?

• Total voters
Search This thread

jawz101

Hey all. I know it's a big ask and I'm sure this will get buried in the thread but I was wondering if you all would star an issue I submitted a while ago ( and even a while ago before as well)

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/146322464

The request is to give us the ability to control location accuracy on a per-app basis. Rather than simply giving an app location permission, it would be nice to restrict the accuracy of the location.

Example: a weather app does not need to know my location down to the foot to tell me the weather in my city. A driving app would need that level of accuracy.

Apple coincidentally introduced this as a privacy feature in iOS 14 called Approximate Location. I would like to think they follow the Android issue tracker and whored it off of my request.

Anyways, if you could take 2 seconds to star that issue I would appreciate it. And maybe you'd like the idea too.

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
  • Feb 14, 2016
    Google Nexus 10
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Hey all. I know it's a big ask and I'm sure this will get buried in the thread but I was wondering if you all would star an issue I submitted a while ago ( and even a while ago before as well)

The request is to give us the ability to control location accuracy on a per-app basis. Rather than simply giving an app location permission, it would be nice to restrict the accuracy of the location.

Example: a weather app does not need to know my location down to the foot to tell me the weather in my city. A driving app would need that level of accuracy.

Apple coincidentally introduced this as a privacy feature in iOS 14 called Approximate Location. I would like to think they follow the Android issue tracker and whored it off of my request.

Anyways, if you could take 2 seconds to star that issue I would appreciate it. And maybe you'd like the idea too.
    I fully agree.

Until Android 10, I normally turned off location.

Most apps that target SDK29, now have to require access to location because of this.

Google knows better than the rest of us. Just ask them..
    No, not just coarse location. Now we require fine location.

tliebeck said it best here.
    [APP][2.1+] FX File Explorer Dev Thread (5.0: Material Design UI, Wi-Fi Direct Xfers) xdaThread - Post 4,504 - Link

You got a star from me on both IssueTracker tickets. :D

Cheers. :cowboy:

Reactions: jawz101 and osm0sis

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
  • Aug 31, 2013
    Sydney

OT for AdAway. But android already has this. There are separate permissions for: COURSE_LOCATION and FINE LOCATION

Last edited:

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
  • Feb 14, 2016
    Google Nexus 10
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    OT for AdAway. But android already has this. There are separate permissions for: COURSE_LOCATION and FINE LOCATION
    A bit OT but, since jawz101 is maintaining the adaway hosts file, I think we have some leeway. ;)
    Edit note: Posts were moved from the AdAway thread.

Since Android 10, Google has required ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION for API(s) that a lot of apps use.

When a user is asked to allow location there is nothing about coarse or fine.
    As far as I know, you (user) can not modify the location setting of an app on Android.

Unless you are using a navigation app, there is no reason an app needs to know you exact geolocation.
    No need for location at all in some cases.

As noted, in the IssueTracker ticket, iOS14 has this option.
    support.apple.com WebSite - Control the location information you share on iPhone - Link
    To allow an app to use your specific location, leave Precise Location turned on. To share only your approximate location—which may be sufficient for an app that doesn’t need your exact location—turn Precise Location off.

Unlike Android, Apple gives location control back to the user. :D

Cheers. :cowboy:

Last edited:
    Reactions: osm0sis

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
  • Aug 31, 2013
    Sydney
    Since Android 10, Google has required ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION for API(s) that a lot of apps use.

When a user is asked to allow location there is nothing about coarse or fine.
    As far as I know, you (user) can not modify the location setting of an app on Android.

Unless you are using a navigation app, there is no reason an app needs to know you exact geolocation.
    No need for location at all in some cases.

As noted, in the IssueTracker ticket, iOS14 has this option.
    support.apple.com WebSite - Control the location information you share on iPhone - Link
    Yep, your right. I had a look at the permissions for some apps, and the ones that had Location ONLY had the fine location permission, so there does not appear to be a way to turn of fine location and allow course location. Although, and I do highly doubt it, just explicitly settling the permissions (FINE ==> DENY and COURSE==>ALLOW) *may* only provide course location. But as I said, I doubt it would work but I have not tried it.

But, you can turn off permission for any location of a specific app in A11 via the Settings UI. And there is always the shell command (pm revoke ...) to do it also .... wait a sec .... actually, i just found an app (an old spirit level app) that has permissions for COURSE_LOCATION and FINE_LOCATION. So, I would assume I could turn off the FINE_LOCATION and the app would only have access to COURSE_LOCATION. It would appear that the developers of individual apps are the ones that could enable the feature.

Reactions: ipdev

jawz101

Thanks for giving some feedback. What's even more confusing is that it can't be just giving us the ability to fuzz the location- regardless of if it is acquired by coarse or fine.

Coarse: cell towers and WiFi signal association

Fine: GPS, cell towers, and WiFi signal association

I don't know about you but coarse doesn't feel fuzzy enough to me. Like a weather widget or an app wanting to deliver up local news stories can do so with a 25 mile radius. I'd say the WiFi part of coarse location would be crazy accurate. It's not just based on your WiFi network- Google has collected and mapped every SSID every Android phone has seen and associated their relative signal strength to the GPS coordinates of the device. So if I'm in an apartment complex and my phone sees 20 wifi networks around me and each is seen with a certain strength from where I sit, when you come over your phone will guess it's at jawz101's place.

Coarse ain't that coarse. It may take a dozen wireless networks around you and be just as accurate as 3 overhead but I have a feeling it could be about as accurate as GPS.

I have about 5 privacy wishes that Android could change to make me feel better that we're in control but I don't think some will ever happen

Last edited:

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013

done.: good:

Oct 14, 2020
    Hello guys..:)
    I would like you to go through XDA new users guide and you must read the FORUM RULES before posting here or anywhere else on xda.

The rate at which the new users are joining xda on daily basis is very high. A lot of users join because they have got some problems with their devices like bricked phone, bootloops etc. because of following incorrect processes. Some join to help out others, to share their knowledge and gain more.

So basically this thread is for all of those who want to ask questions and answer those.

So those who want to help here, just try to answer without flaming, let it be answered thousands of times earlier, show them the path, direction and let them do things on their own. Do not spoon feed, rather just try to point them to right direction.

This whole idea is of @undercover and the former OP Bruce Wayne and I thank him.

To The people asking questions here, don't forget to check for the links from 2nd post. That will help you increase your knowledge, and do answer the questions asked by others if you know the answer. Please don't simply say thanks if some member helps you, instead use the thanks button, that will help us keep this thread less cluttered.
    Good day, I have a Samsung Galaxy j7v for about 3 yrs or more that my friend bought from a person overseas and from I got the phone it keeps asking me for a pin. It seems the phone is tied to an organization and as such I can't use the phone, is there anyone that can help me with removing this organization thing from the phone please?

Attachments

• 20201108_071516.jpg
      20201108_071516.jpg
      2 MB · Views: 11
    • 20201109_095229.jpg
      20201109_095229.jpg
      2 MB · Views: 11
    • 20201109_100512.jpg
      20201109_100512.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 11

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
    NC
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Good day, I have a Samsung Galaxy j7v for about 3 yrs or more that my friend bought from a person overseas and from I got the phone it keeps asking me for a pin. It seems the phone is tied to an organization and as such I can't use the phone, is there anyone that can help me with removing this organization thing from the phone please?
    It seems your device is a company/corporate phone, that means the device actually belongs to the company/corporation and not to the person that you got it from. With that being the case, we can't help you because we would effectively be helping you steal the device from the company/corporation that it actually belongs to.

Oct 14, 2020
    It seems your device is a company/corporate phone, that means the device actually belongs to the company/corporation and not to the person that you got it from. With that being the case, we can't help you because we would effectively be helping you steal the device from the company/corporation that it actually belongs to.
    I totally understand, I guess my friend wasted money buying this thing, oh well.....thanks for responding much respect

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
  • Feb 14, 2016
    Google Nexus 10
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Just because a device is preset for a corporation/company does not mean it is always their property.
    There are legitimate reasons why this could happen.
    A lazy or non-existent IT department comes to mind. ;)

I totally understand, I guess my friend wasted money buying this thing, oh well.....thanks for responding much respect
    If this is a legitimate purchase of a preset device..

You could contact the manufacture and ask if they can reset it to a factory rom.
    This would be best since they (manufacture) have access to proprietary and hidden partitions.
    They (manufacture) will also be able to verify the device.​

Search for a way to reset it to the factory rom.
    Samsung Galaxy J7 - xda Forum - Link

Cheers all. :cowboy:

Last edited:
    Reactions: God's Child.cp
    Oct 14, 2020
    Just because a device is preset for a corporation/company does not mean it is always their property.
    There are legitimate reasons why this could happen.
    A lazy or non-existent IT department comes to mind. ;)

If this is a legitimate purchase of a preset device..

You could contact the manufacture and ask if they can reset it to a factory rom.
    This would be best since they (manufacture) has access to proprietary and hidden partitions.​
    They (manufacture) will also be able to verify the device.​

Search for a way to reset it to the factory rom.
    Samsung Galaxy J7 - xda Forum - Link

Cheers all. :cowboy:
    Thank very much for your input, giving me some hope. I'll check it out right away. Much respect.

Umar Nadeem

Aug 26, 2018
    Hello.... I have tablet from Huawei and neither it has any custom ROMs nor a custom recovery.
    I really want to upgrade it to a newer version (if not the latest).
    Model no. Huawei M2-A01L
    Device - Huawei Mediapad M2 10"

ronnieshane1

Feb 12, 2014
    LG Q7
    I have a att LM-Q720 and i want to know how to root, and also how can i put a custom recovery on it? I dont think i can use twrp on it yet. Kingoroot and kingroot both failed using both the apk and the computer via usb methods.

devicemodder

Jun 4, 2016
    I have an android dev board running android 6.0 from aliexpress, that's connected to a 1920x480 screen. when the screen is in portrait mode, part of the navbar on the bottom is cut off. There should be 2 more icons to the right as can clearly be seen in landscape mode.
    namely the Volume up, and the navbar hide button.

is there any way that i can re-arrange these buttons, and put them closer together, so i can have all the buttons in portrait mode? Being too close for touch isn't an issue as this doesn't have a digitiser, and as such is used with a mouse and keyboard.

Yes, the android on here is rooted.

DhrubZBTW

May 2, 2021
    Can I ask this question? I need serious help with this..... Please someone help me...

So I rooted my Xiaomi Redmi 4x (running android 7.1.2) with SuperSU and installed Foldermount so I can play my games on my SD CARD because I have only 16GB Storage space. I did everything right with Foldermount and pasted the folders on the OBB Folder storage/sdcard/android/obb. Source was also right. I clicked the green switch. And I tried to launch GTA San Andreas app but it said, "

Download failed because you may not have purchased this app"​

Please help me through this issue. I really need help.

Thanks to whoever helps me.

TheOutdated

• May 9, 2021
    Before reading, please understand that i am very new to rooting android phones and that my english skills aren't the best so please explain everything as simply as possible.

So i've just rooted my Mottola Moto X using magisk and TWRP but my phone got stuck in a bootloop after i installed the Xposed framework.

The problem started when my phone crashed while i was restoring it from a backup i made earlier wich made it impossible to boot into android. I tried restoring the backup again and again but it kept crashing.

After a factory reset, the phone booted into android but all apps keep crashing. Every solution i tried made the problem worse.

So i'm pretty much locked out of my phone and all i can access is the fastboot menu and my TWRP recovery. Is there any way of completely reinstalling android on my phone or of completely restoring the phone?

(The factory reset deleted my backup)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Have a Vivo Y70, I can't find much in the way of custom firmware or root other than the usual "root with one click, I promise it works" sites.

Is it the processor (snapdragon 665), being locked by Vivo, or just lack of sales that would cause this?

Asking only as I can move to another phone and ideally want something to run a stripped down OS.

the Y70 is fine for my needs but would prefer more control.
      From what I know Vivo devices are hard to be unlocked, the SD665 doesn´t play a role here, it´s a policy of the OEM, Vivo doesn´t facilitate a control over its devices. Search for method for similar devices from other Vivo variant if you find something to unlock bootloader rooting it might be not so hard.

For the next It´s always better to have some look on which devices are best candidates to have some extra customizations before to buy it.
      Hello guys..:)
      I would like you to go through XDA new users guide and you must read the FORUM RULES before posting here or anywhere else on xda.

The rate at which the new users are joining xda on daily basis is very high. A lot of users join because they have got some problems with their devices like bricked phone, bootloops etc. because of following incorrect processes. Some join to help out others, to share their knowledge and gain more.

So basically this thread is for all of those who want to ask questions and answer those.

So those who want to help here, just try to answer without flaming, let it be answered thousands of times earlier, show them the path, direction and let them do things on their own. Do not spoon feed, rather just try to point them to right direction.

This whole idea is of @undercover and the former OP Bruce Wayne and I thank him.

To The people asking questions here, don't forget to check for the links from 2nd post. That will help you increase your knowledge, and do answer the questions asked by others if you know the answer. Please don't simply say thanks if some member helps you, instead use the thanks button, that will help us keep this thread less cluttered.
      [Ask Any Question] [Help Thread] NOOB FRIENDLY

Here are the names of some of my friends helping you on the thread.(Updated often)
      @iamareebjamal
      @Zatta
      @dagger (the original OP of this thread)
      @Stryke_the_Orc
      @prototype-U
      @EatHeat
      @nlygamz
      @plegdroid
      @Gogeta
      @malybru
      @Jimlarck
      @ADDICT.ANK
      @Primokorn
      @luqman98
      @hnkotnis
      @thenookieforlife3
      @ИΘΘK¡€
      @Sam Nakamura
      @xunholyx

@SubwayChamp

@ktmom

@Ibuprophen

Please do let me know if I have missed some names..:)

For a list of guides,refer here.
      http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2073370
      Thanks to @Hpsgill

Atlast

Please dont spam the thread..​
      Hi mate!
      Nice to see a much needed thread like this here.. hope new members as well as old ones find this thread useful! :thumbup:

"To err is human, to forgive is divine"
      Sent from my SGS II
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone