Search This thread

Kumar Asmit

• Jun 4, 2020
    Samsung Galaxy E Series
    Reactions: mrrocketdog

Robin512

Mar 23, 2021
    Hello,

I am currently trying to build lineageOS 17.1 for my Xperia Z. I have previously built lineage 15.1, which used to be officially supported, but this is my first time trying myself at an unsupported release.

I have followed the steps on the official build guide up to the the breakfast command step. I know I need to include manifests for the device tree and kernel, and thought I could simply use those made available by lineage from the 15.1 and 16.0 releases, and could add a revision="lineage-xx.x" tag accordingly. I am attaching the .repo/local_manifests/roomservice.xml which I am now using.

My problem: When running the breakfast yuga command I still get an error because it queries the lineage-17.1 branch of the LineageOS github repository. I don't understand why this is happening. isn't the explicit use of the revision="lineage-xx.x" tags in my manifest supposed to tell breakfast to not use the default lineage-17.1 branch? I am including the complete error log bellow (there are other errors there, but now I am more interested in finding a solution to this current problem).

As mentioned in the error log attached, one can set the ROOMSERVICE_BRANCHES environment variable to use other branches as backup, and this would solve the problem, but I don't understand why I should have to use this since I am explicitly mentioning which branch I want to use in my roomservice.xml.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• errorlog.txt
      1.3 KB · Views: 1
    • roomservice.xml
      958 bytes · Views: 1

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
    Aug 31, 2013
    Sydney
    Hello,

I am currently trying to build lineageOS 17.1 for my Xperia Z. I have previously built lineage 15.1, which used to be officially supported, but this is my first time trying myself at an unsupported release.
    ...snip...

Thank you in advance.
    You may get more targeted help from the following thread. But it has been quiet of late

Last edited:

Tesno

May 10, 2009
    Hi. I need help with old tablet. I can't find topics or roms for my Lenovo Tab (gen 1) since the name is so generic. My mother removed some files and managed to get it to freeze after boot animation and it should be flashed I guess. I just don't have image and I'm not sure about the model name. I can get to recovery menu with normal boot, fast boot and recovery. recovery only brings some android robot picture with error message.

Last edited:

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
    yes , i am aware this android. but ; any linux enthusiasts who know how close (really) the librem5 is to being a DD?
    i read their posts on telegram but no solid info.
    apologies for OT.

SubwayChamp

• Aug 6, 2016
    Hi. I need help with old tablet. I can't find topics or roms for my Lenovo Tab (gen 1) since the name is so generic. My mother removed some files and managed to get it to freeze after boot animation and it should be flashed I guess. I just don't have image and I'm not sure about the model name. I can get to recovery menu with normal boot, fast boot and recovery. recovery only brings some android robot picture with error message.

Can you communicate through fastboot with device? If so you could try
    Code:
    fastboot getvar
    or
    Code:
    fastboot getvar product
    if doesn´t work I guess there is some apps in Play Store that can identify something through the camera like Google Lens, I´m not really sure you but it worths a try. Or comparing with every model released around the same approximated years based on pictures from the net or on the Lenovo site. The last further step would be taking the back cover and looking around.

This will give you some approach to know the model then it will left you to know the exaxt variant, from there you could try with some firmware released for the same region/model.

Tesno

May 10, 2009
    Can you communicate through fastboot with device? If so you could try
    Code:
    fastboot getvar
    or
    Code:
    fastboot getvar product
    if doesn´t work I guess there is some apps in Play Store that can identify something through the camera like Google Lens, I´m not really sure you but it worths a try. Or comparing with every model released around the same approximated years based on pictures from the net or on the Lenovo site. The last further step would be taking the back cover and looking around.

This will give you some approach to know the model then it will left you to know the exaxt variant, from there you could try with some firmware released for the same region/model.
    There is a fastboot option in boot mode menu, but I can't remember how to use these since it's been like 10 years I did something with this slate. It just says => Fastboot mode... and nothing happens

SubwayChamp

• Aug 6, 2016
    There is a fastboot option in boot mode menu, but I can't remember how to use these since it's been like 10 years I did something with this slate. It just says => Fastboot mode... and nothing happens
    OK, I understand that you don´t remember how to do a thing after ten years but you should complement the info that I did give you with some quick searching, maybe: "How to use/set up fastboot"? in this way you could advance a little more in this right?

BigBoi0724

Mar 31, 2021
    Phone: Lenovo A6600d40
    Android: Marshmallow

Phone battery condition: Totally new. Bought few days back.

Phone battery percentage is ALWAYS incorrect. Some times it doesn't charge after say 47% or sometime after 64% etc. When battery voltage is checked in this situation battery shows full voltage (3800 mV for this phone).
    But phone never shows 100% at 3800mV , its always either 47% or 64% or something else.
    Tried every app and other quirks and methods (even 2 hard resets) for battery calibration but nothing is working.

Battery is 3800mV and 2300maH max.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210331-220110.png
      Screenshot_20210331-220110.png
      124.9 KB · Views: 16

Tesno

May 10, 2009
    yeah. I just think I need a file of some sort to flash and I don't know where to get one. But I'll check if I can dig up something I don't know yet.
    OK, I understand that you don´t remember how to do a thing after ten years but you should complement the info that I did give you with some quick searching, maybe: "How to use/set up fastboot"? in this way you could advance a little more in this right?

SubwayChamp

• Aug 6, 2016
    yeah. I just think I need a file of some sort to flash and I don't know where to get one. But I'll check if I can dig up something I don't know yet.
    Well, I just pointed out some troubleshooting steps that you should/could follow in order to going further to can identify the real model of your device, there is not a simple file that you can flash to solve that but you'd need to flash the proper firmware to revive it and here is where the eternal cycle is stucked; you need to flash a firmware for a model that you don't know which is.

Reactions: Kumar Asmit

jawz101

Hey all. I know it's a big ask and I'm sure this will get buried in the thread but I was wondering if you all would star an issue I submitted a while ago ( and even a while ago before as well)

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/146322464

The request is to give us the ability to control location accuracy on a per-app basis. Rather than simply giving an app location permission, it would be nice to restrict the accuracy of the location.

Example: a weather app does not need to know my location down to the foot to tell me the weather in my city. A driving app would need that level of accuracy.

Apple coincidentally introduced this as a privacy feature in iOS 14 called Approximate Location. I would like to think they follow the Android issue tracker and whored it off of my request.

Anyways, if you could take 2 seconds to star that issue I would appreciate it. And maybe you'd like the idea too.

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
  • Feb 14, 2016
    Google Nexus 10
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Hey all. I know it's a big ask and I'm sure this will get buried in the thread but I was wondering if you all would star an issue I submitted a while ago ( and even a while ago before as well)

The request is to give us the ability to control location accuracy on a per-app basis. Rather than simply giving an app location permission, it would be nice to restrict the accuracy of the location.

Example: a weather app does not need to know my location down to the foot to tell me the weather in my city. A driving app would need that level of accuracy.

Apple coincidentally introduced this as a privacy feature in iOS 14 called Approximate Location. I would like to think they follow the Android issue tracker and whored it off of my request.

Anyways, if you could take 2 seconds to star that issue I would appreciate it. And maybe you'd like the idea too.
    I fully agree.

Until Android 10, I normally turned off location.

Most apps that target SDK29, now have to require access to location because of this.

Google knows better than the rest of us. Just ask them..
    No, not just coarse location. Now we require fine location.

tliebeck said it best here.
    [APP][2.1+] FX File Explorer Dev Thread (5.0: Material Design UI, Wi-Fi Direct Xfers) xdaThread - Post 4,504 - Link

You got a star from me on both IssueTracker tickets. :D

Cheers. :cowboy:

Reactions: jawz101 and osm0sis

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
    Aug 31, 2013
    Sydney

OT for AdAway. But android already has this. There are separate permissions for: COURSE_LOCATION and FINE LOCATION

Last edited:

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
  • Feb 14, 2016
    Google Nexus 10
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    OT for AdAway. But android already has this. There are separate permissions for: COURSE_LOCATION and FINE LOCATION
    A bit OT but, since jawz101 is maintaining the adaway hosts file, I think we have some leeway. ;)
    Edit note: Posts were moved from the AdAway thread.

Since Android 10, Google has required ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION for API(s) that a lot of apps use.

When a user is asked to allow location there is nothing about coarse or fine.
    As far as I know, you (user) can not modify the location setting of an app on Android.

Unless you are using a navigation app, there is no reason an app needs to know you exact geolocation.
    No need for location at all in some cases.

As noted, in the IssueTracker ticket, iOS14 has this option.
    support.apple.com WebSite - Control the location information you share on iPhone - Link
    To allow an app to use your specific location, leave Precise Location turned on. To share only your approximate location—which may be sufficient for an app that doesn’t need your exact location—turn Precise Location off.

Unlike Android, Apple gives location control back to the user. :D

Cheers. :cowboy:

Last edited:
    Reactions: osm0sis

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
    Aug 31, 2013
    Sydney
    Since Android 10, Google has required ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION for API(s) that a lot of apps use.

When a user is asked to allow location there is nothing about coarse or fine.
    As far as I know, you (user) can not modify the location setting of an app on Android.

Unless you are using a navigation app, there is no reason an app needs to know you exact geolocation.
    No need for location at all in some cases.

As noted, in the IssueTracker ticket, iOS14 has this option.
    support.apple.com WebSite - Control the location information you share on iPhone - Link
    Yep, your right. I had a look at the permissions for some apps, and the ones that had Location ONLY had the fine location permission, so there does not appear to be a way to turn of fine location and allow course location. Although, and I do highly doubt it, just explicitly settling the permissions (FINE ==> DENY and COURSE==>ALLOW) *may* only provide course location. But as I said, I doubt it would work but I have not tried it.

But, you can turn off permission for any location of a specific app in A11 via the Settings UI. And there is always the shell command (pm revoke ...) to do it also .... wait a sec .... actually, i just found an app (an old spirit level app) that has permissions for COURSE_LOCATION and FINE_LOCATION. So, I would assume I could turn off the FINE_LOCATION and the app would only have access to COURSE_LOCATION. It would appear that the developers of individual apps are the ones that could enable the feature.

Reactions: ipdev

jawz101

Thanks for giving some feedback. What's even more confusing is that it can't be just giving us the ability to fuzz the location- regardless of if it is acquired by coarse or fine.

Coarse: cell towers and WiFi signal association

Fine: GPS, cell towers, and WiFi signal association

I don't know about you but coarse doesn't feel fuzzy enough to me. Like a weather widget or an app wanting to deliver up local news stories can do so with a 25 mile radius. I'd say the WiFi part of coarse location would be crazy accurate. It's not just based on your WiFi network- Google has collected and mapped every SSID every Android phone has seen and associated their relative signal strength to the GPS coordinates of the device. So if I'm in an apartment complex and my phone sees 20 wifi networks around me and each is seen with a certain strength from where I sit, when you come over your phone will guess it's at jawz101's place.

Coarse ain't that coarse. It may take a dozen wireless networks around you and be just as accurate as 3 overhead but I have a feeling it could be about as accurate as GPS.

I have about 5 privacy wishes that Android could change to make me feel better that we're in control but I don't think some will ever happen

Last edited:

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013

done.: good:

Reactions: ipdev
    Oct 14, 2020
    Hello guys..:)
    I would like you to go through XDA new users guide and you must read the FORUM RULES before posting here or anywhere else on xda.

The rate at which the new users are joining xda on daily basis is very high. A lot of users join because they have got some problems with their devices like bricked phone, bootloops etc. because of following incorrect processes. Some join to help out others, to share their knowledge and gain more.

So basically this thread is for all of those who want to ask questions and answer those.

So those who want to help here, just try to answer without flaming, let it be answered thousands of times earlier, show them the path, direction and let them do things on their own. Do not spoon feed, rather just try to point them to right direction.

This whole idea is of @undercover and the former OP Bruce Wayne and I thank him.

To The people asking questions here, don't forget to check for the links from 2nd post. That will help you increase your knowledge, and do answer the questions asked by others if you know the answer. Please don't simply say thanks if some member helps you, instead use the thanks button, that will help us keep this thread less cluttered.
    Good day, I have a Samsung Galaxy j7v for about 3 yrs or more that my friend bought from a person overseas and from I got the phone it keeps asking me for a pin. It seems the phone is tied to an organization and as such I can't use the phone, is there anyone that can help me with removing this organization thing from the phone please?

Attachments

• 20201108_071516.jpg
      20201108_071516.jpg
      2 MB · Views: 9
    • 20201109_095229.jpg
      20201109_095229.jpg
      2 MB · Views: 9
    • 20201109_100512.jpg
      20201109_100512.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 9

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Good day, I have a Samsung Galaxy j7v for about 3 yrs or more that my friend bought from a person overseas and from I got the phone it keeps asking me for a pin. It seems the phone is tied to an organization and as such I can't use the phone, is there anyone that can help me with removing this organization thing from the phone please?
      It seems your device is a company/corporate phone, that means the device actually belongs to the company/corporation and not to the person that you got it from. With that being the case, we can't help you because we would effectively be helping you steal the device from the company/corporation that it actually belongs to.
      It seems your device is a company/corporate phone, that means the device actually belongs to the company/corporation and not to the person that you got it from. With that being the case, we can't help you because we would effectively be helping you steal the device from the company/corporation that it actually belongs to.
      Just because a device is preset for a corporation/company does not mean it is always their property.
      There are legitimate reasons why this could happen.
      A lazy or non-existent IT department comes to mind. ;)

I totally understand, I guess my friend wasted money buying this thing, oh well.....thanks for responding much respect
      If this is a legitimate purchase of a preset device..

You could contact the manufacture and ask if they can reset it to a factory rom.
      This would be best since they (manufacture) have access to proprietary and hidden partitions.
      They (manufacture) will also be able to verify the device.​

Search for a way to reset it to the factory rom.
      Samsung Galaxy J7 - xda Forum - Link

Cheers all. :cowboy:
      Looking for a good/free File Encrytion App

Android 11 (rooted)

I don't want to invest time learning how to use an app (hundreds of individual encrytion operations) just to find out later that there is a better way/app that I should have used.

I'm experimenting with:
      • Cryptomator (paid)
      • EDS Lite (open source)
      • S.S.E. Secrect Space Encryptor (free)
      • DroisFS
      ...but am not really satisfied with the 'user friendliness' of them, i.e. not very quick-and easy. Maybe the pain in the ass factor is just inherent to using such apps, or I don't know how to efficiently use them yet.

What I want to be able to do:
      • Securely Encrypt only a selected folder and all files within it on my external SD (actual external SD, the one I inserted myself.
      • Not have a 'vault' that is only accessible from within the app, but have individual encrypted files that I can copy to wherever. From my experimenting, I think Cryptomator, and maybe EDS Lite, won't work for me in this respect.
      • Be able to DEcrypt containers with another app. My reasoning for this is that I don't like to depend on a single app. Though, as I'm typing this I'm realizing that this might not be a problem because I have backups of all the .apks I use, so decrypting in the future (maybe years from now) shouldn't be a problem. Thoughts?
      Any suggestions much appreciated, even if it's to tell me that I need to go about this in a different way. 😀
      You did say "any suggestion"... I have not had a need to encrypt something to an extreme security level, normally when I wish to quickly encrypt / password protect a file (normally to send or enable via public download) , I just go with something like a zip file which has built in simple encryption. As I said, I dont need to do it too often or use the encrypted file locally, but i think most file managers can browse zip files as folders. Maybe ask the question on the MiX FAQ thread, I am certain you would get a more targeted response from someone else who is more into encryption of data.
      Before reading, please understand that i am very new to rooting android phones and that my english skills aren't the best so please explain everything as simply as possible.

So i've just rooted my Mottola Moto X using magisk and TWRP but my phone got stuck in a bootloop after i installed the Xposed framework.

The problem started when my phone crashed while i was restoring it from a backup i made earlier wich made it impossible to boot into android. I tried restoring the backup again and again but it kept crashing.

After a factory reset, the phone booted into android but all apps keep crashing. Every solution i tried made the problem worse.

So i'm pretty much locked out of my phone and all i can access is the fastboot menu and my TWRP recovery. Is there any way of completely reinstalling android on my phone or of completely restoring the phone?

(The factory reset deleted my backup)
      Flash the official firmware according your model.
      Hello guys..:)
      I would like you to go through XDA new users guide and you must read the FORUM RULES before posting here or anywhere else on xda.

The rate at which the new users are joining xda on daily basis is very high. A lot of users join because they have got some problems with their devices like bricked phone, bootloops etc. because of following incorrect processes. Some join to help out others, to share their knowledge and gain more.

So basically this thread is for all of those who want to ask questions and answer those.

So those who want to help here, just try to answer without flaming, let it be answered thousands of times earlier, show them the path, direction and let them do things on their own. Do not spoon feed, rather just try to point them to right direction.

This whole idea is of @undercover and the former OP Bruce Wayne and I thank him.

To The people asking questions here, don't forget to check for the links from 2nd post. That will help you increase your knowledge, and do answer the questions asked by others if you know the answer. Please don't simply say thanks if some member helps you, instead use the thanks button, that will help us keep this thread less cluttered.
      [Ask Any Question] [Help Thread] NOOB FRIENDLY

Here are the names of some of my friends helping you on the thread.(Updated often)
      @iamareebjamal
      @Zatta
      @dagger (the original OP of this thread)
      @Stryke_the_Orc
      @prototype-U
      @EatHeat
      @nlygamz
      @plegdroid
      @Gogeta
      @malybru
      @Jimlarck
      @ADDICT.ANK
      @Primokorn
      @luqman98
      @hnkotnis
      @thenookieforlife3
      @ИΘΘK¡€
      @Sam Nakamura
      @xunholyx

@SubwayChamp

@ktmom

@Ibuprophen

Please do let me know if I have missed some names..:)

For a list of guides,refer here.
      http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2073370
      Thanks to @Hpsgill

Atlast

Please dont spam the thread..​
      Hi mate!
      Nice to see a much needed thread like this here.. hope new members as well as old ones find this thread useful! :thumbup:

"To err is human, to forgive is divine"
      Sent from my SGS II
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone