Was this thread helpful?

• Total voters
Search This thread

TiTiB

Jun 19, 2015
Earth
Looking for a good/free File Encrytion App

Android 11 (rooted)

I don't want to invest time learning how to use an app (hundreds of individual encrytion operations) just to find out later that there is a better way/app that I should have used.

I'm experimenting with:
  • Cryptomator (paid)
  • EDS Lite (open source)
  • S.S.E. Secrect Space Encryptor (free)
  • DroisFS
...but am not really satisfied with the 'user friendliness' of them, i.e. not very quick-and easy. Maybe the pain in the ass factor is just inherent to using such apps, or I don't know how to efficiently use them yet.

What I want to be able to do:
  • Securely Encrypt only a selected folder and all files within it on my external SD (actual external SD, the one I inserted myself.
  • Not have a 'vault' that is only accessible from within the app, but have individual encrypted files that I can copy to wherever. From my experimenting, I think Cryptomator, and maybe EDS Lite, won't work for me in this respect.
  • Be able to DEcrypt containers with another app. My reasoning for this is that I don't like to depend on a single app. Though, as I'm typing this I'm realizing that this might not be a problem because I have backups of all the .apks I use, so decrypting in the future (maybe years from now) shouldn't be a problem. Thoughts?
Any suggestions much appreciated, even if it's to tell me that I need to go about this in a different way. 😀

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
  • Aug 31, 2013
    Sydney
    Looking for a good/free File Encrytion App

Android 11 (rooted)

I don't want to invest time learning how to use an app (hundreds of individual encrytion operations) just to find out later that there is a better way/app that I should have used.

I'm experimenting with:
    • Cryptomator (paid)
    • EDS Lite (open source)
    • S.S.E. Secrect Space Encryptor (free)
    • DroisFS
    ...but am not really satisfied with the 'user friendliness' of them, i.e. not very quick-and easy. Maybe the pain in the ass factor is just inherent to using such apps, or I don't know how to efficiently use them yet.

What I want to be able to do:
    • Securely Encrypt only a selected folder and all files within it on my external SD (actual external SD, the one I inserted myself.
    • Not have a 'vault' that is only accessible from within the app, but have individual encrypted files that I can copy to wherever. From my experimenting, I think Cryptomator, and maybe EDS Lite, won't work for me in this respect.
    • Be able to DEcrypt containers with another app. My reasoning for this is that I don't like to depend on a single app. Though, as I'm typing this I'm realizing that this might not be a problem because I have backups of all the .apks I use, so decrypting in the future (maybe years from now) shouldn't be a problem. Thoughts?
    Any suggestions much appreciated, even if it's to tell me that I need to go about this in a different way. 😀
    You did say "any suggestion"... I have not had a need to encrypt something to an extreme security level, normally when I wish to quickly encrypt / password protect a file (normally to send or enable via public download) , I just go with something like a zip file which has built in simple encryption. As I said, I dont need to do it too often or use the encrypted file locally, but i think most file managers can browse zip files as folders. Maybe ask the question on the MiX FAQ thread, I am certain you would get a more targeted response from someone else who is more into encryption of data.

Last edited:
    Reactions: TiTiB

TiTiB

Jun 19, 2015
    Earth
    You did say "any suggestion"... I have not had a need to encrypt something to an extreme security level, normally when I wish to quickly encrypt / password protect a file (normally to send or enable via public download) , I just go with something like a zip file which has built in simple encryption. As I said, I dont need to do it too often or use the encrypted file locally, but i think most file managers can browse zip files as filders. Maybe ask the question on the MiX FAQ thread, I am certain you would get a ore targetted response from someone else who is more into encryption of data.
    Thanks. MiXplorer was my initial thought, but I'm always looking for a quicker/better way to do things and figured a purpose-built app would be just that. I'm curious to see whst others have to say.

SubwayChamp

• Aug 6, 2016
    Before reading, please understand that i am very new to rooting android phones and that my english skills aren't the best so please explain everything as simply as possible.

So i've just rooted my Mottola Moto X using magisk and TWRP but my phone got stuck in a bootloop after i installed the Xposed framework.

The problem started when my phone crashed while i was restoring it from a backup i made earlier wich made it impossible to boot into android. I tried restoring the backup again and again but it kept crashing.

After a factory reset, the phone booted into android but all apps keep crashing. Every solution i tried made the problem worse.

So i'm pretty much locked out of my phone and all i can access is the fastboot menu and my TWRP recovery. Is there any way of completely reinstalling android on my phone or of completely restoring the phone?

(The factory reset deleted my backup)
    Flash the official firmware according your model.

Reactions: Kumar Asmit

borisSweden

May 10, 2021
    Amy way to trick the carrier in a Android phone? A carrier tjat offers a premium owns a MVNO and the tier system is BS. Slower speed, no VoLTE, VoWifi, no IMS status. Is there anything that can be done?

deathnote08

May 9, 2013
    Hi good day please help on my samsung a800yz
    sadly we dont have a custom rom on our varian but i saw this post and tried to do it on my own
    1620889323667.png

this is what I've tried
    1620889568605.png

SubwayChamp

• Aug 6, 2016
    Hi good day please help on my samsung a800yz
    sadly we dont have a custom rom on our varian but i saw this post and tried to do it on my own
    View attachment 5307677
    this is what I've tried
    View attachment 5307679
    I'm not sure exactly what you did so you put an screenshot instead of a relevant link i.e the link from where the thread is discussed, you should just copy the number post and paste it here.

But for what I understood you are trying to build a ROM from other already done using some kitchen tool, if this is the case you shouldn't try to build it but following these steps and requirements:
    - Your device must have similar specs with the device which the ROM was taken, there are many cross-development with some Samsung devices with no great improvements in its upgrades.
    - Your device must be running in the same minimal android version required.
    - You don't need to put your boot image in the kitchen folder directory to re-create from there a part of the process, if the ROM is already built just open the zip, search for the boot directory and replace it for the yours also delete all the others boot images if the Aroma installer support other models to not make a mistake.
    - But if just replacing the boot didn't work then you should need to port it somewhere from the other.

opasx

Aug 25, 2013
    Perth
    Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
    Have a Vivo Y70, I can't find much in the way of custom firmware or root other than the usual "root with one click, I promise it works" sites.

Is it the processor (snapdragon 665), being locked by Vivo, or just lack of sales that would cause this?

Asking only as I can move to another phone and ideally want something to run a stripped down OS.

the Y70 is fine for my needs but would prefer more control.

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
    Recently, when I open certain apps I get a popup asking me if 'I wish to fireproof' that app. Since I do not know who is asking or what fireproof is I say no.

What is 'fireproof' and who is asking?

Thank you.

SubwayChamp

• Aug 6, 2016
    Have a Vivo Y70, I can't find much in the way of custom firmware or root other than the usual "root with one click, I promise it works" sites.

Is it the processor (snapdragon 665), being locked by Vivo, or just lack of sales that would cause this?

Asking only as I can move to another phone and ideally want something to run a stripped down OS.

the Y70 is fine for my needs but would prefer more control.
    From what I know Vivo devices are hard to be unlocked, the SD665 doesn´t play a role here, it´s a policy of the OEM, Vivo doesn´t facilitate a control over its devices. Search for method for similar devices from other Vivo variant if you find something to unlock bootloader rooting it might be not so hard.

For the next It´s always better to have some look on which devices are best candidates to have some extra customizations before to buy it.

Reactions: opasx

borisSweden

May 10, 2021
    I dont know of its illegal, help with this particular irritation.
    Let's say Carrier A is a standard expensive cellular provider that offers EVERYTHING you can imagine with a contract.

Carrier B is owned by Carrier A but offers everything expect roaming outside of the EU and customer support.

Carrier C is a independent or owned by A, but it's very budget. Doesn't have VoLTE, e-Sim, VoWifi and free roaming but alot of data for your money. The bill is to A and C isn't a MVNO.

So is there a way to "spoof" C to the cellular network that it's a A or B? Technically they are all the same company.

Last edited:

borisSweden

May 10, 2021
    Another dumb question, is it possible to port Cat12 to a Cat6 phone but both devices use the same modem? SoC MSM8996/pro. Or porting the modem firmware from a S6XX SoC?

Last edited:

Jungles001

Jun 9, 2021
    Please how do I fix this I rooted my device Samsung A12 and then I decided to unroot it. Then I tried locking back the bootloader my device refused to on. And I also tried flashing it it just feels

Attachments

• 20210609_115412.jpg
      20210609_115412.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 5

sreejiraj

Nov 28, 2013
    I have an android 9 (mobile OS) device that does not have an orientation sensor or accelerometer or gyroscope since it's a set-top box.

The device has its display permanently set into the landscape mode (since it's designed to be used with a TV).

However, there are certain video apps that seem to depend on a reorientation event to go full-screen. Such video apps end up playing the video only on the top half of the TV, while dedicating the bottom half to displaying details, suggestions and so on.

This is a problem with those apps that only operate in the portrait mode by default, even if you hold a phone in the landscape mode (when you launch such apps on a regular phone, the app will force a change in the orientation of the screen to the portrait mode even if the phone is being held horizontally. This does not happen in case of my android box as this process is somehow getting overridden, and the app launches in the portrait mode on a landscape display, with everything bunched up together vertically.)

Clicking on the maximize button inside the video does not result in the video going full-screen, probably because the device is already in the landscape mode, and there's no oncreate method being triggered etc..

Is there any app or something that can force such video apps to start sideways (portrait mode) on the TV so that, when I click on the maximize button inside the video, it will reorient itself properly and occupy the whole screen? Or is there any other way, for example, to stop the android mobile OS from forcing the app to launch in the vertical mode on a display that is permanently fixed horizontally, and get back the original behavior (that one sees on a phone)?

PS: I have tried a couple of screen orientation apps from the playstore that have app-specific settings to try to set the display orientation of these apps in the portrait mode, but somehow, the tweaked OS seems to be overriding whatever these apps are doing as well.

Last edited:

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
  • Aug 31, 2013
    Sydney
    I have an android 9 (mobile OS) device that does not have an orientation sensor or accelerometer or gyroscope since it's a set-top box.

The device has its display permanently set into the landscape mode (since it's designed to be used with a TV).

However, there are certain video apps that seem to depend on a reorientation event to go full-screen. Such video apps end up playing the video only on the top half of the TV, while dedicating the bottom half to displaying details, suggestions and so on.

This is a problem with those apps that only operate in the portrait mode by default, even if you hold a phone in the landscape mode (when you launch such apps on a regular phone, the app will force a change in the orientation of the screen to the portrait mode even if the phone is being held horizontally. This does not happen in case of my android box as this process is somehow getting overridden, and the app launches in the portrait mode on a landscape display, with everything bunched up together vertically.)

Clicking on the maximize button inside the video does not result in the video going full-screen, probably because the device is already in the landscape mode, and there's no oncreate method being triggered etc..

Is there any app or something that can force such video apps to start sideways (portrait mode) on the TV so that, when I click on the maximize button inside the video, it will reorient itself properly and occupy the whole screen? Or is there any other way, for example, to stop the android mobile OS from forcing the app to launch in the vertical mode on a display that is permanently fixed horizontally, and get back the original behavior (that one sees on a phone)?

PS: I have tried a couple of screen orientation apps from the playstore that have app-specific settings to try to set the display orientation of these apps in the portrait mode, but somehow, the tweaked OS seems to be overriding whatever these apps are doing as well.
    I havent tried the following, but it looks like what you are looking for.

They have a couple of different methods, so maybe one of them will work. You would also possibly have to switch back and forth a couple of times as well.

RyuukenZenkou

• May 14, 2016
    Santiago
    Hey guys it's been a while since I wrote here. Well.. I've been wondering about rooting my galaxy J4 (SM-J400M) but in wondering about the following:
    the device is currently running stock Android pie but I'm considering to update it to Android 10 by downloading the latest firmware then using Odin. Can I use this method as I always used to do? Is it safe? I'm not sure as I've read a lot and I'm aware of the security layers that the phone has. I even wondered about downgrading it to Android 8, if possible, but I'm looking forward to Android 10.
    After flashing it, is there a way to root it? Is there TWRP for this device if I flash stock Android 10? I don't mind using the stock ROM but I would like to have it rooted.
    So far I haven't found any information relevant to this so I'm still on stock software. So do you have info about how to achieve this? Any reply, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Columbus93

Jun 19, 2021
    Noob here, I've been HACKED and I need some help.
    I have a Huawei p30 phone with last security patch received in august 2020, not rooted and never been in strangers hands.
    This crazy psycopath woman has been stalking me badly for a year, but then in september 2020 she shared a weird (fake) video with the image of a pixeled pony on my Facebook page. I clicked on it but strangely it won't open. Few hours later this crazy woman deleted the supposed video and started to write me about things I said privately to a friend via Whatsapp! and in the following months she started insulting me with fake Instagram profiles every time I chatted privately with other girls. She seems to see everything on every social network! And even when I took a picture with a girl that I never shared but only had privately in my gallery, she reacted to it by insulting me!
    I don't know what kind of trojan or RAT is this but I would like so much to get rid of it!

1) Can you guys tell me how can I get rid of this RAT? I've already searched with Kaspersky, Malawarebytes, Avast for Android but they can't see a damn thing.

2) Can I put my sim card with my whole whatsapp (and related backup messages and contacts) on the new device or I am going to risk?

3) Can I keep my Gmail and Instagram accounts by disconnecting them from the hacked device and changing passwords from the new device?

Syed Arqam

Jul 21, 2015
    I have a LG V30 Plus, Docomo Variant (L-01K).
    Recently it started showing that annoying "charging blocked due to moisture" error.
    I found a way to disable it by going into the hidden menu on one of the forums but I can't get into the menu because I don't know what model number to write at the end.
    Typing "01" doesn't work, can someone please help me out? Also it keeps on saying "unable to operate".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210617-160201.png
      Screenshot_20210617-160201.png
      352.2 KB · Views: 3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Hello guys..:)
      I would like you to go through XDA new users guide and you must read the FORUM RULES before posting here or anywhere else on xda.

The rate at which the new users are joining xda on daily basis is very high. A lot of users join because they have got some problems with their devices like bricked phone, bootloops etc. because of following incorrect processes. Some join to help out others, to share their knowledge and gain more.

So basically this thread is for all of those who want to ask questions and answer those.

So those who want to help here, just try to answer without flaming, let it be answered thousands of times earlier, show them the path, direction and let them do things on their own. Do not spoon feed, rather just try to point them to right direction.

This whole idea is of @undercover and the former OP Bruce Wayne and I thank him.

To The people asking questions here, don't forget to check for the links from 2nd post. That will help you increase your knowledge, and do answer the questions asked by others if you know the answer. Please don't simply say thanks if some member helps you, instead use the thanks button, that will help us keep this thread less cluttered.
      [Ask Any Question] [Help Thread] NOOB FRIENDLY

Here are the names of some of my friends helping you on the thread.(Updated often)
      @iamareebjamal
      @Zatta
      @dagger (the original OP of this thread)
      @Stryke_the_Orc
      @prototype-U
      @EatHeat
      @nlygamz
      @plegdroid
      @Gogeta
      @malybru
      @Jimlarck
      @ADDICT.ANK
      @Primokorn
      @luqman98
      @hnkotnis
      @thenookieforlife3
      @ИΘΘK¡€
      @Sam Nakamura
      @xunholyx

@SubwayChamp

@ktmom

@Ibuprophen

Please do let me know if I have missed some names..:)

For a list of guides,refer here.
      http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2073370
      Thanks to @Hpsgill

Atlast

Please dont spam the thread..​
      Hi mate!
      Nice to see a much needed thread like this here.. hope new members as well as old ones find this thread useful! :thumbup:

"To err is human, to forgive is divine"
      Sent from my SGS II