• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Was this thread helpful?

• Total voters
Search This thread

qaz6545

Aug 26, 2021
First off, is your bootloader unlocked?
i activate developer mode and from it activate OEM Unlock and USB Debugging. then install twrp then \e\ costume rom. if that the bootloader unlocked, so yes. also rotted it in my way to try change logo image.
Usually you just need to set it up the permission to w/r, if not mounting it you can edit it, but something is wrong again with your file, can you upload your param.bin to some place?
i change the permission manually from file properties i believe there's no other way. about param.bin file did you mean to see it. if that i will attached it to the post.
Just to be sure we are speaking the same, what you are trying to modify is the first boot stage, not the boot animation, isn't?. The first splash images displayed in your model are part of the bootloader where param.bin is placed, you won't find them into boot, recovery, system nor another partition.
1- i try change the first splash image (samsung logo fixed image that apper at the start of booting), that's my target.

2- during my search inside phone rooted system folder i find by chance compressed file called animation take copy extract it (just to learn but i like \e\ os animation).

3- boot, recovery, system etc is from stock rom that i unpack it on pc. as you say before
Code:
 "there's good chance something is wrong again with your file"
so i think why do not try extract it from the source (pure stock rom without flash it). so i download my phone stock rom, unpack it, transform the android image (boot, recovery, system etc) to normal image, then unpack every image and search inside it. try different ways hope reach at the end.

4- yoy say "The first splash images displayed in your model are part of the bootloader", there's any way to download stock bootloader? is it inside stock rom or it dowmloaded separately.
LogoBuilder uses splash/logo files.
you know i keep replay to you and you keep try help me so i try search also and do not keep all work on you.

Attachments

• param.bin
    10 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
i activate developer mode and from it activate OEM Unlock and USB Debugging. then install twrp then \e\ costume rom. if that the bootloader unlocked, so yes. also rotted it in my way to try change logo image.

i change the permission manually from file properties i believe there's no other way. about param.bin file did you mean to see it. if that i will attached it to the post.

1- i try change the first splash image (samsung logo fixed image that apper at the start of booting), that's my target.

2- during my search inside phone rooted system folder i find by chance compressed file called animation take copy extract it (just to learn but i like \e\ os animation).

3- boot, recovery, system etc is from stock rom that i unpack it on pc. as you say before
Code:
 "there's good chance something is wrong again with your file"
so i think why do not try extract it from the source (pure stock rom without flash it). so i download my phone stock rom, unpack it, transform the android image (boot, recovery, system etc) to normal image, then unpack every image and search inside it. try different ways hope reach at the end.

4- yoy say "The first splash images displayed in your model are part of the bootloader", there's any way to download stock bootloader? is it inside stock rom or it dowmloaded separately.

you know i keep replay to you and you keep try help me so i try search also and do not keep all work on you.
Try to extract it just from this path, don't use the alternative ones dd: /dev/block/platform/13500000.dwmmc0/by-name/param of=/sdcard/param.bin bs=4096 see for the similar on your device but chose what ends with ''by-name'' if you find other partition like up_param it should work too.

In the meantime, if you want to try this, if it doesn't work you may need to reflash your own stock file.

Attachments

• param.tar
    799.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Love
Reactions: qaz6545

qaz6545

Aug 26, 2021
Try to extract it just from this path, don't use the alternative ones dd: /dev/block/platform/13500000.dwmmc0/by-name/param of=/sdcard/param.bin bs=4096 see for the similar on your device but chose what ends with ''by-name'' if you find other partition like up_param it should work too.

In the meantime, if you want to try this, if it doesn't work you may need to reflash your own stock file.

greeting hope you fine and safe
after flashing param file phone enter reboot loop. so i download stock rom from internet, flashing it (try to solve boot loop and in same time see if i can get param file) but the boot looping still. try wipe cache, factory rest, remove battery for 10 minutes after flashing but still the boot loop.

before flashing the param file i take nandroid backup (g.3 Gb to back up everything) using this command
Code:
 "adb backup --twrp"
in console + mount all partions in twrp and check all thing in twrp back up windows to save backup on pc as phone did not have memory card. so when every thing faild to fix boot looping i try use the nandorid back up using this command
Code:
"abd restore backup.ab"

note i know the imei 2

nadorid backup succeed to restore:
boot, recovery
wiping data then restore data
wiping system then restore system
restore system image
wiping internal storage and removing all file under /storage
restoring internal storage
wiping hiding and restoring hiding
restoring efs
restoring imei 1
*untill reach restoring imei 2, and it look lik can not find it so it at this point for more than 15 minutes until i remove the battery, is there's any solution to skip imei 2 or there's way to out from back up without corebt the process or un back the backup.ab file and see the imei 1 file or code so create one for imei 2 (as i know the number) then pack it again and flash it.

now i am sure destiny refuse change samsung logo from my phone

i find tool called ab2tar_corr and ab2tar_cut but it did not work (it crate the first stage file but the second no i waite more than 2 hours thinks it need time as i large file at the end i create very small tar file and try convert it to ab(revers process, it part from the tools group) file but did not work

Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
greeting hope you fine and safe
Idem.
after flashing param file phone enter reboot loop. so i download stock rom from internet, flashing it (try to solve boot loop and in same time see if i can get param file) but the boot looping still. try wipe cache, factory rest, remove battery for 10 minutes after flashing but still the boot loop.

before flashing the param file i take nandroid backup (g.3 Gb to back up everything) using this command
Code:
 "adb backup --twrp"
in console + mount all partions in twrp and check all thing in twrp back up windows to save backup on pc as phone did not have memory card. so when every thing faild to fix boot looping i try use the nandorid back up using this command
Code:
"abd restore backup.ab"

note i know the imei 2

nadorid backup succeed to restore:
boot, recovery
wiping data then restore data
wiping system then restore system
restore system image
wiping internal storage and removing all file under /storage
restoring internal storage
wiping hiding and restoring hiding
restoring efs
restoring imei 1
*untill reach restoring imei 2, and it look lik can not find it so it at this point for more than 15 minutes until i remove the battery, is there's any solution to skip imei 2 or there's way to out from back up without corebt the process or un back the backup.ab file and see the imei 1 file or code so create one for imei 2 (as i know the number) then pack it again and flash it.
Probably you only needed to flash the param.bin that you did take a backup (pulled) and for restoring IMEI or baseband probably flashing the modem or restoring EFS would be enough, there are only firmware for J5 single SIM, be sure to choose the one for dual SIM, the IMEI is not really lost just it is overlapped, this tool could work too https://androidmtk.com/download-qualcomm-smartphone-write-imei-tool
now i am sure destiny refuse change samsung logo from my phone
Strange enough I did it for many devices, if 7zip refuses, or it is not implemented then I use Ark and works very well.

qaz6545

Aug 26, 2021
Idem.

Probably you only needed to flash the param.bin that you did take a backup (pulled) and for restoring IMEI or baseband probably flashing the modem or restoring EFS would be enough, there are only firmware for J5 single SIM, be sure to choose the one for dual SIM, the IMEI is not really lost just it is overlapped, this tool could work too https://androidmtk.com/download-qualcomm-smartphone-write-imei-tool

Strange enough I did it for many devices, if 7zip refuses, or it is not implemented then I use Ark and works very well.
i already create nandroid backup.ab for all operation system (using adb and twrp) before flash the param file. when try restore nandroid backup.ab it restore every thing but at the end of resotring process stop at restore imei 2. now i have two way first use pit file to reparation the storage (so what ever cause boot loop will be removed). or find way to patch the nandroid backup.ab (add imei 2 to the backup). as flash old param file did not work.

my phone it 8 gb internal storage. pit files that i find it for euro but the main problem they did not mention is it fore 8 or 16 or 32 internal storage volume, there's any way to know.

if i am correct flashing rom(one file rom) did not reparation the phone storage. but did it change the pit file. by other word the pit file that on my phone now is it the original or installed from the rom that i just flash it. if it the original there's way t extract it using twrp and adb.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
i already create nandroid backup.ab for all operation system (using adb and twrp) before flash the param file. when try restore nandroid backup.ab it restore every thing but at the end of resotring process stop at restore imei 2. now i have two way first use pit file to reparation the storage (so what ever cause boot loop will be removed). or find way to patch the nandroid backup.ab (add imei 2 to the backup). as flash old param file did not work.

my phone it 8 gb internal storage. pit files that i find it for euro but the main problem they did not mention is it fore 8 or 16 or 32 internal storage volume, there's any way to know.
They're the same for any of the storage capacity, unless they're intended for different regions.
if i am correct flashing rom(one file rom) did not reparation the phone storage. but did it change the pit file. by other word the pit file that on my phone now is it the original or installed from the rom that i just flash it. if it the original there's way t extract it using twrp and adb.
The ROM/firmware you downloaded and flashed it back contains PIT file, but Odin doesn't use it unless you mark this item in the tool, in the normal usage through Odin the PIT is just the mapper that gives the instructions where images have to be placed, but when you mark it then it does the re-partitioning; assuming that for one reason the file you flashed is slightly larger than what supports your param.bin partition then the PIT could solve it and the tiny portion that occupy the IMEI and that was overlapped will be freed up.

• Love
Reactions: qaz6545

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
Renaming a network printer?
Is it possible to change the name of a networked printer to a more meaningful name?
I know how to do it in Windows 10, but I don't know if it is feasible in android 10.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I guess it is not possible.

Reactions: maybeme2

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015

That works in windows. It does not change the name in android devices.

Unless I misunderstand what is meant by 'server'. These printers are on a home wlan. Is the router the 'server's?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016

Unless I misunderstand what is meant by 'server'. These printers are on a home wlan. Is the router the 'server's?
Not through Windows because in Windows will be easy, you need to change the name where it is identified and changing it through Windows you'd change just how Windows "want" to call it but not its visible name for the other devices in the same network.

This is supposedly what you have to do https://www.dummies.com/programming...cess-a-network-printer-using-a-web-interface/ it could depend on if your printer offers this kind of possibilities to interact with.

These 2 answers, from the first already linked site, complete the way to do it:

"Yet when I log into printer via its IP address: Choose Networking, Network Identification, Network Identification, Current Settings . . and try to change the Hostname field then click APPLY, the name changes back to the default hostname NPI5087A4. How can I change this??

The "default Hostname" filed is greyed out
"

...And the issue was for letting spaces between names;

"You can change the Host Name, but it can't have any spaces or I just use an underscore. (i.e. Color_Printer)

That's why everyone keeps getting the error
."

Reactions: maybeme2

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
Since I upgraded my rooted phone from android 9 to android 10, and then re-rooted using magisk, the phone would spontaneously reboot itself about once a day or so. I have not been able to identify what causes these system crashes. It sometimes happens at night when I'm not even using it.

I installed logcat reader to try and identify the cause but the logcat it produces always restarts after the reboot so I can never get a log from just before the crash.

How can I figure out what is causing these system crashes?

Thank you.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Since I upgraded my rooted phone from android 9 to android 10, and then re-rooted using magisk, the phone would spontaneously reboot itself about once a day or so. I have not been able to identify what causes these system crashes. It sometimes happens at night when I'm not even using it.

I installed logcat reader to try and identify the cause but the logcat it produces always restarts after the reboot so I can never get a log from just before the crash.

How can I figure out what is causing these system crashes?

Thank you.
random reboots are investigated using last_kmsg, not logcat.

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
Thank you. I did not know that.
I will lookup last_kmsg to see how to do that.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
I installed syslog app which can read last_kmsg. Unfortunately last_kmsg is grayed out because last_kmsg in not in my android version. I searched for it from root on and it is not there.

Can last_kmsg be added? If not, is there something else I can use to figure out why the phone reboots?

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210921-201552.png
    Screenshot_20210921-201552.png
    166.9 KB · Views: 4

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I installed syslog app which can read last_kmsg. Unfortunately last_kmsg is grayed out because last_kmsg in not in my android version. I searched for it from root on and it is not there.

Can last_kmsg be added? If not, is there something else I can use to figure out why the phone reboots?

Thanks for your time.
I use to use it a lot on my previous devices. However, on my Pixel 4A I have not seen it either.

The following implies it is ONLY written on a kernel panic
last kmsg
When the Android kernel crashes, it writes logs to last_kmsg.
This is like the last words of your Android device before it passes out. Android writes a quick log to last_kmsg before it reboots. last_kmsg helps to understand the reason of the issue.
There are a few other situations where Android writes to this log, such as kernel panics.

Right after force reboot, connect to ADB, and run:

adb shell cat /proc/last_kmsg > last_kmsg.txt
The last_kmsg log it only written to when a failure causes a crash, random reboot, or kernel panic (or a couple other things). It doesn’t always exist.

But there are also the other error logs, which may have a clue, at the top of the page.

qaz6545

Aug 26, 2021
They're the same for any of the storage capacity, unless they're intended for different regions.

The ROM/firmware you downloaded and flashed it back contains PIT file, but Odin doesn't use it unless you mark this item in the tool, in the normal usage through Odin the PIT is just the mapper that gives the instructions where images have to be placed, but when you mark it then it does the re-partitioning; assuming that for one reason the file you flashed is slightly larger than what supports your param.bin partition then the PIT could solve it and the tiny portion that occupy the IMEI and that was overlapped will be freed up.
greeting

i was lucky enough to find "Samsung Galaxy S III Neo", so now i own phone again 😊🥳🎉.
i know after my old j5 damage the logic direct me to leave the idea of changing splash image but i do not know why keep thing in it and ask why it did not work and what the true way to do it.

i succeed to install twarp then /e/OS build : Pie dev on my new Samsung Galaxy S III Neo. and find param partition is "bla bla 10" s repeat all past steps (on stock rom and after instal custom rom) and get same result as j5 (the param file did not open with any zip or tar soft).

so i think in another direction and unpack the boot.img as most article say the splash image is merge inside kernal and the kernal is inside boot.img. but i can not find it inside boot.img. also i read code of .sh (shell files) that inside bot.img but can not reach to any thing.

is there's any think like map you know some thing direct me to specific file in boot.img that i need to edit it change it for change or just remove the splash image? you know i think if i can reach the code "function" that point to splash image so i can edit it to point to another place that i will put new splash image. is the concept accepted?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
greeting

i was lucky enough to find "Samsung Galaxy S III Neo", so now i own phone again 😊🥳🎉.
i know after my old j5 damage the logic direct me to leave the idea of changing splash image but i do not know why keep thing in it and ask why it did not work and what the true way to do it.

i succeed to install twarp then /e/OS build : Pie dev on my new Samsung Galaxy S III Neo. and find param partition is "bla bla 10" s repeat all past steps (on stock rom and after instal custom rom) and get same result as j5 (the param file did not open with any zip or tar soft).

so i think in another direction and unpack the boot.img as most article say the splash image is merge inside kernal and the kernal is inside boot.img. but i can not find it inside boot.img. also i read code of .sh (shell files) that inside bot.img but can not reach to any thing.

is there's any think like map you know some thing direct me to specific file in boot.img that i need to edit it change it for change or just remove the splash image? you know i think if i can reach the code "function" that point to splash image so i can edit it to point to another place that i will put new splash image. is the concept accepted?
I think that in old devices the splash images were included in the bootloader (or part of it) itself, something like aboot, sbin, sboot.

Regards the param.bin you should also pull it using ADB shell, I think that there is some difference considering where you get it from.

You should search for tools that can unpack older bootloaders (or part of them).

May I'm wrong, but from all devices that I had I never saw that the splash image was inside the boot image.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I guess it is not possible.

Not through Windows because in Windows will be easy, you need to change the name where it is identified and changing it through Windows you'd change just how Windows "want" to call it but not its visible name for the other devices in the same network.

This is supposedly what you have to do https://www.dummies.com/programming...cess-a-network-printer-using-a-web-interface/ it could depend on if your printer offers this kind of possibilities to interact with.

These 2 answers, from the first already linked site, complete the way to do it:

"Yet when I log into printer via its IP address: Choose Networking, Network Identification, Network Identification, Current Settings . . and try to change the Hostname field then click APPLY, the name changes back to the default hostname NPI5087A4. How can I change this??

The "default Hostname" filed is greyed out
    "

...And the issue was for letting spaces between names;

"You can change the Host Name, but it can't have any spaces or I just use an underscore. (i.e. Color_Printer)

That's why everyone keeps getting the error
    ."
    Thank you subwaychamp. Problem solved. 👍👍
    You're right - in that, that you haven't seen them. But they are/were very common really...
    If you are still interested in doing this, try looking in param.lfs. I know it may be a bit late, I didn't see this post until now.
    If you are still interested in doing this, try looking in param.lfs. I know it may be a bit late, I didn't see this post until now.
    No, @qaz6545 was the one who was interested in that, I tried to guide them exactly for that partition you are mentioning (param) and that rarely a device has the bootlogo in the boot partition (except Sony devices not exactly in the boot but in the ramdisk) in my own experience newer Samsung devices has these images placed in the param.bin and in older models is in the bootloader. For a strange reason they insist on searching for in the boot image.
    Hello guys..:)
    I would like you to go through XDA new users guide and you must read the FORUM RULES before posting here or anywhere else on xda.

The rate at which the new users are joining xda on daily basis is very high. A lot of users join because they have got some problems with their devices like bricked phone, bootloops etc. because of following incorrect processes. Some join to help out others, to share their knowledge and gain more.

So basically this thread is for all of those who want to ask questions and answer those.

So those who want to help here, just try to answer without flaming, let it be answered thousands of times earlier, show them the path, direction and let them do things on their own. Do not spoon feed, rather just try to point them to right direction.

This whole idea is of @undercover and the former OP Bruce Wayne and I thank him.

To The people asking questions here, don't forget to check for the links from 2nd post. That will help you increase your knowledge, and do answer the questions asked by others if you know the answer. Please don't simply say thanks if some member helps you, instead use the thanks button, that will help us keep this thread less cluttered.
    [Ask Any Question] [Help Thread] NOOB FRIENDLY

Here are the names of some of my friends helping you on the thread.(Updated often)
    @iamareebjamal
    @Zatta
    @dagger (the original OP of this thread)
    @Stryke_the_Orc
    @prototype-U
    @EatHeat
    @nlygamz
    @plegdroid
    @Gogeta
    @malybru
    @Jimlarck
    @ADDICT.ANK
    @Primokorn
    @luqman98
    @hnkotnis
    @thenookieforlife3
    @ИΘΘK¡€
    @Sam Nakamura
    @xunholyx

@SubwayChamp

@ktmom

@Ibuprophen

Please do let me know if I have missed some names..:)

For a list of guides,refer here.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2073370
    Thanks to @Hpsgill

Atlast

Please dont spam the thread..​
    Hi mate!
    Nice to see a much needed thread like this here.. hope new members as well as old ones find this thread useful! :thumbup:

"To err is human, to forgive is divine"
    Sent from my SGS II