• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Was this thread helpful?

• Total voters
Search This thread

J0ja

Nov 25, 2021
Problem with SAMSUNG A20 (SM-A205F)
-
My friend's phone had an update recently.
The update finished perfectly but after a while the phone shut down and when she turned it back on it showed this screen:

IMG_20211125_121932.jpg

"Recovery: Error validating footer.
No VBMETA
VBMETA ."

The phone shutdown after a few hours and it's not turning back on whatsoever

I don't want the internal storage to be wiped so i found a way using Home_CSC but i can't find a ROM with my carrier (i live in Syria) + the phone isn't working anymore.

Is there any way to fix this without losing my internal storage?
If wiping the internal storage is the only way please tell me how to fix it too.

Thanks in advance! and really sorry if this isn't the right place to post this i really have read the noobs guide. 💙

Model: SM-A205F

Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Problem with SAMSUNG A20 (SM-A205F)
-
My friend's phone had an update recently.
The update finished perfectly but after a while the phone shut down and when she turned it back on it showed this screen:

View attachment 5467419

"Recovery: Error validating footer.
No VBMETA
VBMETA ."

The phone shutdown after a few hours and it's not turning back on whatsoever

I don't want the internal storage to be wiped so i found a way using Home_CSC but i can't find a ROM with my carrier (i live in Syria) + the phone isn't working anymore.

Is there any way to fix this without losing my internal storage?
If wiping the internal storage is the only way please tell me how to fix it too.

Thanks in advance! and really sorry if this isn't the right place to post this i really have read the noobs guide. 💙

Model: SM-A205F
Try first getting the vbmeta image from the stock ROM, compress it in tar format and flash it in the AP slot through Odin.

If this doesn't solve it, you just need to find the right firmware for your device, not exactly from the carrier you are but with the CSC compatibility regards to a specific area/region.

If you can enter to recovery see the build number, download the same firmware (don't try to downgrade) and flash it.

fonzacus

Jun 23, 2016
30 Seconds From Mars
Xiaomi Redmi 8
xiaomi redmi 8

im asking for a group member who has issues with trying to install a fastboot rom on a half bricked phone

so as usual mitools arent very reliable, and consistently crash during the flash process. when suggesting to use the batch scripts, it clearly shows the error, flashing the sec.dat

from a quick search, the sec.dat is like the master tree record like thing, pointing to where|which partitions are

why is it failing? is there any way to force flash it in hopes of successfully continuing the full flashing?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
xiaomi redmi 8

im asking for a group member who has issues with trying to install a fastboot rom on a half bricked phone

so as usual mitools arent very reliable, and consistently crash during the flash process. when suggesting to use the batch scripts, it clearly shows the error, flashing the sec.dat

from a quick search, the sec.dat is like the master tree record like thing, pointing to where|which partitions are

why is it failing? is there any way to force flash it in hopes of successfully continuing the full flashing?
Can you provide more info in order to try to help you, upload some screenshot where the error appears (I guess in the fastboot CLI), and if you tried SP Flash tool, bootloader locked or not?

The better you can describe it, the better the help will be.

Reactions: fonzacus

fonzacus

Jun 23, 2016
30 Seconds From Mars
Xiaomi Redmi 8
Can you provide more info in order to try to help you, upload some screenshot where the error appears (I guess in the fastboot CLI), and if you tried SP Flash tool, bootloader locked or not?

The better you can describe it, the better the help will be.
device has been unlocked successfully. the ofi and unofficial tools do tend to crash without warnings, thats why we decided to try flash_all.bat and see if something pops up. it just gave a generic if error exit message. not much info provided.

its a huge red flag i guess, when even custom recoveries dont want to mount /sec(.dat). something very bad happened to something very critical, thats why i asked if there was any way to force flash this sec.dat before trying to continue the full flashing.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
device has been unlocked successfully. the ofi and unofficial tools do tend to crash without warnings, thats why we decided to try flash_all.bat and see if something pops up. it just gave a generic if error exit message. not much info provided.

its a huge red flag i guess, when even custom recoveries dont want to mount /sec(.dat). something very bad happened to something very critical, thats why i asked if there was any way to force flash this sec.dat before trying to continue the full flashing.
Did you try to flash the files one by one? I don't think sec.dat is a kind of mapper rather it is related with secure boot's chain, in Qualcomm the partition.xml. It is, which does the similar role than the scatter file for MediaTek devices.

Also, sometimes flashing the dummy image prior to a not allowed or problematic partition would solve it. A different approach; you can try to erase the sec partition and then flash the sec.dat file (if it is provided)

If the device is unlocked as I think it does, then the files from here should contain either a different/patched sec.dat and non-auth firehose

Reactions: fonzacus

fonzacus

Jun 23, 2016
30 Seconds From Mars
Xiaomi Redmi 8
Did you try to flash the files one by one? I don't think sec.dat is a kind of mapper rather it is related with secure boot's chain, in Qualcomm the partition.xml. It is, which does the similar role than the scatter file for MediaTek devices.

Also, sometimes flashing the dummy image prior to a not allowed or problematic partition would solve it. A different approach; you can try to erase the sec partition and then flash the sec.dat file (if it is provided)

If the device is unlocked as I think it does, then the files from here should contain either a different/patched sec.dat and non-auth firehose
after asking the person, yeah it was a failed bypass and phone hasnt been able to boot afterwards. sfuff like that are way above most peoples pay grade and he did learn his lesson (im pretty much against these things).

havent tried flashing 1 at a time but i might try that out the next time i full flash, along with the other tips and tricks you advised.

thanks for the pointers

username991

Dec 7, 2021
Hello there,
I realised that some of the system apps on my Note9 were not getting any updates. I downloaded some apk files from ApkPure and tried to update them, but it gave me an error every time.
I was wondering... is it possible to update them without rooting, just with editing the apk file via APK Editor UI?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hello there,
I realised that some of the system apps on my Note9 were not getting any updates. I downloaded some apk files from ApkPure and tried to update them, but it gave me an error every time.
I was wondering... is it possible to update them without rooting, just with editing the apk file via APK Editor UI?
If you are referring to the SGN9 you'll have a hard time trying to edit and sign the APKs to get it working, Samsung doesn't allow updates for system apps from unapproved sources apart from Galaxy/Play Store, if you are referring to the XRN9 then the better will be clear the caches and data from System Updater app and for both cases you still can search the app in Play Store if there is some update.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

username991

Dec 7, 2021
If you are referring to the SGN9 you'll have a hard time trying to edit and sign the APKs to get it working, Samsung doesn't allow updates for system apps from unapproved sources apart from Galaxy/Play Store, if you are referring to the XRN9 then the better will be clear the caches and data from System Updater app and for both cases you still can search the app in Play Store if there is some update.
Well, uh and can you tell me about rooting?
Like what would I lose or gain if I rooted my phone?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
There is a LOT to answer here, so much so that you cannot and should not expect anyone to spoon feed you here in this thread. There is this technology called a "web search". Do some searching and reading, and then you can come back with some intelligent and pointed questions.
www.google.com

fonzacus

Jun 23, 2016
30 Seconds From Mars
Xiaomi Redmi 8
honestly most people would say its safer to not update preincluded system apps as they are bundled together with the system. a failed app may lead to an even bigger crash down the road and lead to a broken system. there are safer ways like googleplay which will switch updated system apps as user apps

Reactions: username991

gobi1542

Dec 2, 2021
Hi ,can anyone tell me what is difference between Mediatek(MTK) Usb Vcom drivers & CDC drivers.Both seem to have the same functions,flashing firmware,transfer files etc.
And why the need to install both drivers in PC to connect & communicate with Mediatek powered Android devices via USB connection.

Last edited:

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hi ,can anyone tell me what is difference between Mediatek(MTK) Usb Vcom drivers & CDC drivers.Both seem to have the same functions,flashing firmware,transfer files etc.
And why the need to install both drivers in Mediatek powered Android devices.
There are various instances MediaTek devices should require depending on what the user need to be performed.
This doesn't pretend to cover all the technical aspects that this implies, though.

Usually the most that a non-advanced user can need is the MediaTek USB drivers to transfer any kind of files, the MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM is used as the name suggests to flashing purposes while in PreLoader mode, but sometimes the PreLoader mode fails (or it is intentionally fooled) then the MediaTek DA USB VCOM or the MediaTek USB VCOM is used to communicate device to PC while it stays or brings back to BROM mode, the flashing process is verified (and more operations) through SP Flash tool or other tools like Infinix tool, SP MDT or similar, with the same function, CDC is less often required, it is basically to use a device as a modem, tethering, a kind of ethernet or allow some transmission when in UART mode when you use some tool like Miracle or so where some authorization is needed over the net.

Every type of connection allows a specific set of commands, when you need to perform one thing that is supported for a specific driver (VCOM) but not for the other (CDC) and you need to pass to the next level it is when both are the compliment.

gobi1542

Dec 2, 2021
There are various instances MediaTek devices should require depending on what the user need to be performed.
This doesn't pretend to cover all the technical aspects that this implies, though.

Usually the most that a non-advanced user can need is the MediaTek USB drivers to transfer any kind of files, the MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM is used as the name suggests to flashing purposes while in PreLoader mode, but sometimes the PreLoader mode fails (or it is intentionally fooled) then the MediaTek DA USB VCOM or the MediaTek USB VCOM is used to communicate device to PC while it stays or brings back to BROM mode, the flashing process is verified (and more operations) through SP Flash tool or other tools like Infinix tool, SP MDT or similar, with the same function, CDC is less often required, it is basically to use a device as a modem, tethering, a kind of ethernet or allow some transmission when in UART mode when you use some tool like Miracle or so where some authorization is needed over the net.

Every type of connection allows a specific set of commands, when you need to perform one thing that is supported for a specific driver (VCOM) but not for the other (CDC) and you need to pass to the next level it is when both are the compliment.
Thank you very much for caring to explain in detail.

Reactions: mrrocketdog
I cannot set a screen lock such as pattern, pin or password. anyway to fix this?
Code:
2021-12-12 08:36:24.725 4657 20641 system E AndroidRuntime : FATAL EXCEPTION: AsyncTask #2
Process: com.android.settings, PID: 4657
java.lang.RuntimeException: An error occurred while executing doInBackground()
    at android.os.AsyncTask$4.done(AsyncTask.java:415)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.finishCompletion(FutureTask.java:383)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.setException(FutureTask.java:252)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:271)
    at android.os.AsyncTask$SerialExecutor$1.run(AsyncTask.java:305)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1167)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:641)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:923)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Fail to enroll user password when creating SP for user 0
    at android.os.Parcel.createExceptionOrNull(Parcel.java:2381)
    at android.os.Parcel.createException(Parcel.java:2357)
    at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:2340)
    at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:2282)
    at com.android.internal.widget.ILockSettings$Stub$Proxy.setLockCredential(ILockSettings.java:1208)
    at com.android.internal.widget.LockPatternUtils.setLockCredential(LockPatternUtils.java:660)
    at com.android.settings.password.ChooseLockPattern$SaveAndFinishWorker.saveAndVerifyInBackground(ChooseLockPattern.java:922)
    at com.android.settings.password.SaveChosenLockWorkerBase$Task.doInBackground(SaveChosenLockWorkerBase.java:138)
    at com.android.settings.password.SaveChosenLockWorkerBase$Task.doInBackground(SaveChosenLockWorkerBase.java:134)
    at android.os.AsyncTask$3.call(AsyncTask.java:394)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
    ... 4 more
Caused by: android.os.RemoteException: Remote stack trace:
    at com.android.server.locksettings.SyntheticPasswordManager.createPasswordBasedSyntheticPassword(SyntheticPasswordManager.java:779)
    at com.android.server.locksettings.LockSettingsService.initializeSyntheticPasswordLocked(LockSettingsService.java:2688)
    at com.android.server.locksettings.LockSettingsService.setLockCredentialInternal(LockSettingsService.java:1741)
    at com.android.server.locksettings.LockSettingsService.setLockCredential(LockSettingsService.java:1663)
    at com.android.internal.widget.ILockSettings$Stub.onTransact(ILockSettings.java:537)

2021-12-12 08:36:58.370 4317 4997 system E BufferQueueProducer : [com.android.settings/com.android.settings.password.ChooseLockPatternSize#0](id:10dd000000a7,api:0,p:-1,c:4317) disconnect: not connected (req=1)

bojan.1995

Aug 31, 2013
Why phones don't turn on after a while.
I realized that few devices I had won't turn on after let say 2 months or so...

I know phones has to be opened and battery charged but is this going to fix?

Mrjones31

Mar 10, 2021
Hello all,

I am new here. I have been more privacy conscious for an extended period of time now. I use CalyxOs because I still need some apps, both work and personal that do not work in GrapheneOs. However, the last one I have a question regarding the collection of data by Big Tech and I am wondering to what extent I am about my privacy and if I am not taking too much actions for nothing? After all, I see a lot of videos and tutorials about degoogled phones. I understand that with degoogled phones combined with minimizing apps (and especially not installing google apps) it becomes more difficult for the Big Tech to get a full profile than with a stock os. So this means that I take all kinds of precautions that make me put more effort, like not using a lot of easy apps anymore, in device (now Pixel 4) much less good specs than e.g. Galaxy S21 etc. My question now is, to what extent do I actually protect my privacy this way? Some examples: I no longer use Gmail but Protonmail, but many of my recipients still use Gmail, so my mail "comes anyway" to Gmail. Chats via Whatsapp, but also Signal or Session or Briar etc. are at my friends/family on a stock android. But then the conversations are also not private like on a CalyxOs right? So in short, what my question is, do these efforts and sacrifices of ease of use still have any use if all the two way interactions don't guarantee my privacy anyway?

I'm no expert and maybe someone can help me clarify the privacy process?

Thank you!

Last edited:

expired.crow

Dec 17, 2021
Hello! I'm new to the forum, as well as to rooting android devices... at least doing it properly haha.
Recently i lost my LG G8 and i finally accepted that it's not getting returned to me.
Tonight, though, I found an old smartphone I had forgotten about years ago.
BLU Life XL II , running android 5.1 . Only 1 pitiful gb of ram and 8gb rom
I'm certain that this is a phone that nobody cares about,
but the LG G7 and LG V45 i have are both messed up in different ways that make them unusable or make me not want to use them
Even over a crappy old BLU phone from 6 years ago...
As it's (rightfully) not a phone anyone cares about, I haven't been able to find any custom roms for it
I figured i might as well root it since I could probably get some extra use out of it,
but I haven't actually done this before, save for downloading "one click root" apks as a kid
Before you judge, I know better now lol and didn't have a computer until i was 18
In fact, that's why I'm asking here rather than going for any possibly dubious software from a google search that advertises being able to root android
I'm a college student working on getting my CompTIA A+, so i can figure it out once i've got the tools.
But if someone could point me in the direction of some good android-rooting software for windows
or possibly a rom that would work for my junkphone, (i accept that there likely arent any) I would greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there! I have some questions after a bunch of experiments flashing an old Samsung S5 (SM-G900F). Hope you can help me out :). I have no previous flashing experience so it has been difficult to navigate these waters.

Yesterday I found this old Samsung S5 lying around and, but it was running Android 5 and I decided to try and flash a more recent version. Since LineageOS seemed like the best documented ROM out there, I gave it a try by following these instructions.

After installing the custom LineageOS recovery with Odin, I sideloaded the LineageOS image using adb and rebooted the smartphone. Unfortunately, the result was and endless loop when trying to boot (i.e. it would show the LineageOS loading screen, then reboot).

The LineageOS instructions include a warning saying "Warning: Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android 6.0.1 firmware.", which I ignored (the device was running Android 5). Could this be the cause of the boot loop? Why does the existing Android version matter? How am I supposed to get the Android 6.0.1 firmware on the phone? Should I look for a stock Android 6.0.1 image and flash that first?

After this problem, I went on to try an official crDroid release I found in the forum, but that one also had a boot loop. After that, I went looking for a stock Android image to resurrect my phone. My search brought me to this firmware list on sammobile. I randomly tried a bunch of those Android 6.0.1 images, but in every case Odin failed, complaining about something related to not having enough space in the ext4 filesystem (I didn't copy the exact error message, but if necessary I could try to flash one of those images again to see what happens). The phone has an internal storage of 16 GB, so I would assume there is enough space for everything.

Finally, I noticed one of the images on sammobile was for Android 5.0. As a last resort, I tried it out and it worked! Though it has the usual carrier bloatware, at least the phone is alive.

Taking a step back, I'd be glad to hear what my options are to get a bloatware-free Android experience, preferably using a recent Android version.
    Firstly, I would recommend you make sure what your exact model is, not all the software saying for S5 suits for any S5 model...

Knowing your exact model, you could upgrade to the latest official version if available, that will serve as based to flash newer custom ROMs.

After that search for a TWRP for it, not ADB implied, just flash it through Odin, uncheck the auto-reboot option on the tool and reboot manually to TWRP, don't remember exactly, maybe 6 years ago I owned one and there was a lot of development for it.

Now, having TWRP installed, you can flash almost any ROM that suits for your model/variant (if available).

If you only want to "debloat it" you can upgrade (if any) and rooting it would be the easy way to do it.
    Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by "exact model"? I know it is a SM-G900F. Is that enough? Or do you mean something else?
    It's OK, then this is the model, the first step is covered.
    By the way, what do you mean when you say that the installed Android version is used as a base when flashing newer custom ROMs? My current mental model is that flashing a ROM is equivalent to formatting your computer and doing a clean install, but your reply gives me the impression that my understanding is inaccurate.
    This is more or less what you found before in the post where they say to flash this or that ROM being in MM-6.0, this means that the stock ROM MM-6.0 will serve as base. A custom ROM can't make exactly a clean install because a custom ROM only contains a part of the software, although this piece of software it's enough to run over a specific stock ROM, the only parts that are replaced are exactly those that are contained in that or this custom ROM.
    Hello guys..:)
    I would like you to go through XDA new users guide and you must read the FORUM RULES before posting here or anywhere else on xda.

The rate at which the new users are joining xda on daily basis is very high. A lot of users join because they have got some problems with their devices like bricked phone, bootloops etc. because of following incorrect processes. Some join to help out others, to share their knowledge and gain more.

So basically this thread is for all of those who want to ask questions and answer those.

So those who want to help here, just try to answer without flaming, let it be answered thousands of times earlier, show them the path, direction and let them do things on their own. Do not spoon feed, rather just try to point them to right direction.

This whole idea is of @undercover and the former OP Bruce Wayne and I thank him.

To The people asking questions here, don't forget to check for the links from 2nd post. That will help you increase your knowledge, and do answer the questions asked by others if you know the answer. Please don't simply say thanks if some member helps you, instead use the thanks button, that will help us keep this thread less cluttered.
    [Ask Any Question] [Help Thread] NOOB FRIENDLY

Here are the names of some of my friends helping you on the thread.(Updated often)
    @iamareebjamal
    @Zatta
    @dagger (the original OP of this thread)
    @Stryke_the_Orc
    @prototype-U
    @EatHeat
    @nlygamz
    @plegdroid
    @Gogeta
    @malybru
    @Jimlarck
    @ADDICT.ANK
    @Primokorn
    @luqman98
    @hnkotnis
    @thenookieforlife3
    @ИΘΘK¡€
    @Sam Nakamura
    @xunholyx

@SubwayChamp

@ktmom

@Ibuprophen

Please do let me know if I have missed some names..:)

For a list of guides,refer here.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2073370
    Thanks to @Hpsgill

Atlast

Please dont spam the thread..​
    Hi mate!
    Nice to see a much needed thread like this here.. hope new members as well as old ones find this thread useful! :thumbup:

"To err is human, to forgive is divine"
    Sent from my SGS II