Was this thread helpful?

• Total voters
Search This thread

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
{Mod edit: Quoted post has been deleted}

You may be better off posting on the following threads. However, they have been quiet of recent times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mrrocketdog

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hi all,
I wanna ask something about this logcat reader app (https://github.com/darshanparajuli/LogcatReader)
I use it on non rooted device with adb mode. I have 2 question here
1. If the device is rebooted does the permission set by adb gone & ?
2. Will the permission lose after I disable usb debugging ?
1 - Permissions survive within reboots, but, some devices tend (are programmed, depending on specific build number, this is ruled by the OEM´will) to disable the USB debugging on every reboot, although the permission still remains, the ADB will show no device, as you can see, it won't say "unauthorized".
2 - Permission is gone only when you revoke USB authorization, do a factory reset, change the device ID, delete the correspondent ADB keys either from your PC or your device.

Reactions: zputnyq

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
My device is Lenovo manufacturer, but I want to know is if I could change it to run HTC manufacturing. It has Android 10.
If you're asking if you can just flash the HTC software on the Lenovo and have everything working, the answer is no.

If the Lenovo and HTC have the same CPU architecture/chipset, it might work if you modify/port the HTC software to work on your Lenovo but it won't be simple or easy to do.

If they do not have the same CPU/chipset, you will not be able to use the HTC software on your Lenovo.

Be warned, if you try porting the HTC software to work on your Lenovo, if you aren't careful or if you don't get everything right, you could very easily brick your device when you flash the modified HTC software on your Lenovo.

Mirlacher

Apr 28, 2022
Hi,

i got a smartphone as present. It is a chinese one from banggood or something like that. The guy who bought it was get rid of it and gave it to me ...

I have resetted it to factory defaults and realised that the Android 10 Image which is installed is awful ....
Now i am considering for a costum Rom for this device. I know nothing about the manufacturer and so on.

I checked the IMEI an the check told me a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G. The device Information tells me a MT6889 CPU, 16GB RAM and 512GB ROM ...

Please can you tell me if ther is a Costum Rom wich can be installed on this device and help me trough the process? I installed some CyanogenMod on Sony Devices long time ago, and was pretty happy with it.

Please excuse my bad english. Thank you for your help in advance.
Christian

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
Google Pixel 5
Moto G 5G
I bought a new phone (Moto one 5G ace 128 GB with an additional sdcard slot) and I can avoid rooting it if I could do 2 things on an unrooted phone:
1. Create the equivalent of TWRP's nandroid backup
2. Do the equivalent of Titanium Backup of apps.

I believe they are possible (preferably to the 2nd sdcard) but I don't know how. Can someone help?

Thank you.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
I bought a new phone (Moto one 5G ace 128 GB with an additional sdcard slot) and I can avoid rooting it if I could do 2 things on an unrooted phone:
1. Create the equivalent of TWRP's nandroid backup
2. Do the equivalent of Titanium Backup of apps.

I believe they are possible (preferably to the 2nd sdcard) but I don't know how. Can someone help?

Thank you.
The only way to get a proper nandroid backup is either with root or with TWRP. Without at least one of those, you will not be able to make a nandroid backup or any kind of backup that is as thorough as a nandroid backup. There are plenty of ways to backup data without root or TWRP but none of them can back up the things that a nandroid backup can.

Reactions: maybeme2

Iredo

May 3, 2022
I have a HP 8 G2 Tablet. When I start the unit it displays, "E: failed to mount". I have tried to do a factory reset but cannot get past this screen.

I appreciate any help or advice.

Mirlacher

Apr 28, 2022
Hi,

i got a smartphone as present. It is a chinese one from banggood or something like that. The guy who bought it was get rid of it and gave it to me ...

I have resetted it to factory defaults and realised that the Android 10 Image which is installed is awful ....
Now i am considering for a costum Rom for this device. I know nothing about the manufacturer and so on.

I checked the IMEI an the check told me a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G. The device Information tells me a MT6889 CPU, 16GB RAM and 512GB ROM ...

Please can you tell me if ther is a Costum Rom wich can be installed on this device and help me trough the process? I installed some CyanogenMod on Sony Devices long time ago, and was pretty happy with it.

Please excuse my bad english. Thank you for your help in advance.
Christian
Can nobody help?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
The first you need to know, is exactly, the specs from your device, which processor really has, among other info. As you can realize, the specs from the manufacturer are absolutely surreal.

Starting from this point, I don't think, you find a specific custom ROM for such generic device, so the step 2 would be, try to port this ROM for your device, to achieve this, you should find a custom ROM that is actually, running on a device with the closer similar specs to yours, then learn how to port it. Assume that your device really have an MT6889, then you should search, for example, something like: "Devices with processor MT6889", then, from the list you'll have, search "custom ROM for X device", this ROM would be a good candidate, to try to port it.

If your device is running Android 8.1, most likely Android 9 (more available files for), then you should use a GSI.

The long process would be building it from source, I don't think you find a source for such generic/obscure device.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I have a HP 8 G2 Tablet. When I start the unit it displays, "E: failed to mount". I have tried to do a factory reset but cannot get past this screen.

I appreciate any help or advice.
Flashing the stock ROM would solve it. The scripts verified in the flashing process mount every partition to re-write them, once by once, again.

Mirlacher

Apr 28, 2022
The first you need to know, is exactly, the specs from your device, which processor really has, among other info. As you can realize, the specs from the manufacturer are absolutely surreal.

Starting from this point, I don't think, you find a specific custom ROM for such generic device, so the step 2 would be, try to port this ROM for your device, to achieve this, you should find a custom ROM that is actually, running on a device with the closer similar specs to yours, then learn how to port it. Assume that your device really have an MT6889, then you should search, for example, something like: "Devices with processor MT6889", then, from the list you'll have, search "custom ROM for X device", this ROM would be a good candidate, to try to port it.

If your device is running Android 8.1, most likely Android 9 (more available files for), then you should use a GSI.

The long process would be building it from source, I don't think you find a source for such generic/obscure device.
Thank you for your support. Is there an app wich is able to connect the real hardware specs by examing the device?

Mirlacher

Apr 28, 2022
Well, i found a tool for examining the phone. The Output i transfered to a PDF-File i added here. Can you please help me find a compatible ROM for the device? Thank you in advance for your help!

Attachments

• DeviceInfo.pdf
    774.4 KB · Views: 11

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Well, i found a tool for examining the phone. The Output i transfered to a PDF-File i added here. Can you please help me find a compatible ROM for the device? Thank you in advance for your help!
This is not exactly a tool but an app, I don't know from a hardware tool that can do this, and I doubt even it exists.
An app only can read the info that is written in the firmware, all the info displayed is misleading.
You can't expect better things from a device that is sold in these conditions.
No way to know for real, if the device is capable of 4G, would be grateful.
Anyway, there are some info that could be possible, again, take in account that this is absolutely non-technical/untrusted, it seems the device ports a MediaTek SoC 6889, it's running MM, and it's a 32-bit processor, under the risky to mess some things you could try the next:

- Download this tool, to back up every partition https://github.com/bkerler/mtkclient
- You can unlock bootloader with the linked tool, search and learn the previous steps to take that.
- Search (as I said you previously) "devices with MediaTek 6889 or with mt6889"
- From the list you get, discard those sold that ran newer versions than MM, out of the box.
- From the list you get, search "Device X XDA" to find if the device has a dedicated thread here., if not, then search "Custom ROMs for device X"
- Then search for "How to port custom ROMs for MediaTek devices"
- Be sure, again, that the device is running the same version as your device claims to run, MM.
- Apply, under risk/trial & error, all the learned.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Thank you for your reply! Can you suggest a place where I could find the stock ROM? I have looked everywhere.
I don't know, the most you can do is search for "stock ROM for X device", first search if your tablet have other variants, for other regions, in some way the firmware for them, could work too, for your device, in case some exists.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iredo

Top Liked Posts

This is from 2016. Do you think is still valid?
    Re-read my post. I did NOT say that the thread I linked to was the ultimate or current guide. I advised to look at LOS as they had current guides.
    The XDA threads started a long time ago, but they are good if you get a problem along the way. ie the instructions in the OP are outdated
    I specifically said the OP instructions were outdated!

Firstly I need some foundations to start moving forward. I would like to start by replicating one of the ROMs that I already know, are working under my device. Basically I want to start with the premise the if someone did it, I could do it again, before I venture in "new devices" into the unknown camp.
    And thats why I suggested reading the how to build LOS. They probably have the largest device coverage, and have instructions for each device. So if your device was "kirin"

But if you look at the base GIT pages for a custom ROM they usually also have instructions on how to build, but not normally device specific or as thorough as LOS. Did i mention you better get comfortable with GIT...

I think I could build from sources and all that without issues, but I don't really know where I must be touching and tweaking things to make things work. I have 0 knowledge about this topic.
    Im not sure how little you know about programming or how much you wish to modify the ROM, so thats like asking how long a piece of string is. READ! where to tweak is going to rely heavily on programming ability. oh, and READING
    What happened to rom development compared to 5 or 10 years ago? I figured thought that development would have increased over time. I thought it was just my device (OP9), just a few roms with very few likes on them, so I stopped in the pixel 6 / 6 pro forums, and there weren't any roms. Is xda dying?
    I used to compile ROMs for my previous devices (I think I built & published about 10+ ROMS for up to 4 device here on XDA). Its now becoming a LOT more difficult & time consuming. These are things that make the OS better, just more difficult to develop for. For example, the RO system partition, although much more secure and stable, it makes it a HUGE hassle if a dev wants to simply go into TWRP, modify/replace a file or two to test a concept. Actually, previously one could often simply modify the file on a rooted device, and sometimes not even have to reboot or flash. Also, even building a ROM is taking much more time (ie the build process) and more demanding on computer specs. So a dev needs bigger & better computers and drives and have to wait longer for the build to complete, only to find it fails at the last step, and then make the change and start the build again. ie the longer it takes can have an almost exponential effect. These are my roadblocks, others will have their reasons.
    I have it taken care of thanks for all the helpful advice and recommendations.
    I dont have or ever had the problem but it may help others if you post some info of how you sorted it.
    so basically "things" were simpler a few years ago?
    my guess (NOT a developer) would be about android 9?
    when would you say "roughly" that things changed mr. @DiamondJohn ?
    Yes, things were definitely simpler.

I think it is very dependent on the device. ie hardware-software integration and r/o partitions etc etc I know Oreo was pretty easy for my devices, which were shipped originally with much older androids. And now my Pixel 4a is a big commitment to do my first attempt at a 12 build. From memory, my PC could pump out an oreo build from source in 1hr. Also from memory, I tried a Pie build, and that jumped to 1.5hrs. On a side, I personally think that the availability and functionality of TWRP for the device is a good "acid test". Note, there still isnt a stable and fully functional TWRP for my Pixel 4a. ITS A PIXEL DEVICE! People think if they can flash it, then its stable and fully functional. Its not the case. Having TWRP is different to a fully functional and usable TWRP. To put it into some perspective, TWRP used to take only 8 minutes to build for my device, compared to 1hr for a ROM.

Just for another example of what I was talking about above, previously to change the boot animation was simply a case of copying a ZIP file to the system partition. Now, to do it properly requires a new build & flash of the whole ROM. It can be "half done" using magisk, but on my current Pixel 4a, it plays the old animation until after a forced warm reboot in the module, thus showing a few seconds of the stock animation, followed by a restart from the very start of the new animation.
    This is from 2016. Do you think is still valid?
    Re-read my post. I did NOT say that the thread I linked to was the ultimate or current guide. I advised to look at LOS as they had current guides.
    The XDA threads started a long time ago, but they are good if you get a problem along the way. ie the instructions in the OP are outdated
    I specifically said the OP instructions were outdated!

Firstly I need some foundations to start moving forward. I would like to start by replicating one of the ROMs that I already know, are working under my device. Basically I want to start with the premise the if someone did it, I could do it again, before I venture in "new devices" into the unknown camp.
    And thats why I suggested reading the how to build LOS. They probably have the largest device coverage, and have instructions for each device. So if your device was "kirin"

But if you look at the base GIT pages for a custom ROM they usually also have instructions on how to build, but not normally device specific or as thorough as LOS. Did i mention you better get comfortable with GIT...

I think I could build from sources and all that without issues, but I don't really know where I must be touching and tweaking things to make things work. I have 0 knowledge about this topic.
    Im not sure how little you know about programming or how much you wish to modify the ROM, so thats like asking how long a piece of string is. READ! where to tweak is going to rely heavily on programming ability. oh, and READING
    Thank you for your help:

How did you flash TWRP? Are you sure you flashed permanently, or only booted to it?

I install it with adb command "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img", i think the install is correct (also the phone brick again after the install)
    If you are in MM, then you should use these files, https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/ask-any-question-newbie-friendly.2259645/page-1592#post-87089841 not sure which process you did, in those days, some users pretend to bypass the official unlocking process, and just flashed a custom aboot file to bypass, AVB security, so it depends on what exactly you did,
    When you are saying, not able to flash anything through TWRP, then, isn't the option there? Can you upload some screenshot through TWRP´ main screen?

I add 2 pictures, in picture 1 is the option "install" of twrp, as you can see the side bar is the lowest it can go and as you can see no files are show, only folders, in picture 2 i use the "file manager" option on "Advanced", here you can see the Magisk apk but of course i can't install from file manager.
    Did you navigate to where the file is? It looks like Magisk is in your SD card, not in your internal memory?
    Edit; I noticed you didn't change the Magisk file extension, so probably TWRP install menu won't find it.
    You can still use the ADB sideload feature to flash the file from your PC using TWRP.

I read something about that, but i read a comment of someone wipping the info of the PC so i don't risk since i'm a noob.
    No, it's just other method to flash a file, also you can transfer or sideload the file to your Android device, then flashing it through your PC either using the ADB sideload or some TWRP scripts that is available through your CMD Windows PC (or Linux based)
    Device not booting may be, either, due to not formatting data or not flashing the vbmeta for your device or lastly, not flashing the DM verity disabler.

Again, i'm a noob, i only apply the "monkey see, monkey do" after watching tutorials, i can't understand anything about this part, i mean, formating what data? no idea what "vbmeta" is, also no idea about what is "DM verification Disabler"

Sorry, I'm oversaturated with info because i search for a solution for like 10 hours+ in various websites and youtube, probably i miss something simple.
    If you didn't do something unofficial to unlock the bootloader, then you can boot to TWRP, and then flash this file to can boot to system https://build.nethunter.com/android-tools/no-verity-opt-encrypt/no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0.zip
    Hello guys..:)
    I would like you to go through XDA new users guide and you must read the FORUM RULES before posting here or anywhere else on xda.

The rate at which the new users are joining xda on daily basis is very high. A lot of users join because they have got some problems with their devices like bricked phone, bootloops etc. because of following incorrect processes. Some join to help out others, to share their knowledge and gain more.

So basically this thread is for all of those who want to ask questions and answer those.

So those who want to help here, just try to answer without flaming, let it be answered thousands of times earlier, show them the path, direction and let them do things on their own. Do not spoon feed, rather just try to point them to right direction.

This whole idea is of @undercover and the former OP Bruce Wayne and I thank him.

To The people asking questions here, don't forget to check for the links from 2nd post. That will help you increase your knowledge, and do answer the questions asked by others if you know the answer. Please don't simply say thanks if some member helps you, instead use the thanks button, that will help us keep this thread less cluttered.
    [Ask Any Question] [Help Thread] NOOB FRIENDLY

Here are the names of some of my friends helping you on the thread.(Updated often)
    @iamareebjamal
    @Zatta
    @dagger (the original OP of this thread)
    @Stryke_the_Orc
    @prototype-U
    @EatHeat
    @nlygamz
    @plegdroid
    @Gogeta
    @malybru
    @Jimlarck
    @ADDICT.ANK
    @Primokorn
    @luqman98
    @hnkotnis
    @thenookieforlife3
    @ИΘΘK¡€
    @Sam Nakamura
    @xunholyx

@SubwayChamp

@ktmom

@Ibuprophen

Please do let me know if I have missed some names..:)

For a list of guides,refer here.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2073370
    Thanks to @Hpsgill

Atlast

Please dont spam the thread..​
    Hi mate!
    Nice to see a much needed thread like this here.. hope new members as well as old ones find this thread useful! :thumbup:

"To err is human, to forgive is divine"
    Sent from my SGS II