Was this thread helpful?

• Total voters
Search This thread

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Thank you but i'm not asking about root, my problem is TWRP briking my phone, when i install TWRP on my phone i'm unable to find any file with the install option of TWRP, any file like pictures, temp or other apk, not only magisk (if i use the option TWRP advanced/file manager the file is show tho, but i can't install from file manager), and then, when i exit TWRP, my phone stay in the "mi"logo screen every time, i'm able to un-brick the phone installing a official ROM with MiFlash, but if i try to install/use again TWRP the same problem repeat and brick my phone again, i already try 2 different versions of TWRP and 2 ROM.
How did you flash TWRP? Are you sure you flashed permanently, or only booted to it? When you are saying, not able to flash anything through TWRP, then, isn't the option there? Can you upload some screenshot through TWRP´ main screen? As I think you can communicate to your PC through file transfer, then you can copy the screenshot file from your device to have a reference, and, as a side note, you can still use the ADB sideload feature to flash the file from your PC using TWRP.
Device not booting may be, either, due to not formatting data or not flashing the vbmeta for your device or lastly, not flashing the DM verity disabler.

Reactions: Artuditto

Artuditto

Jun 29, 2022
How did you flash TWRP? Are you sure you flashed permanently, or only booted to it? When you are saying, not able to flash anything through TWRP, then, isn't the option there? Can you upload some screenshot through TWRP´ main screen? As I think you can communicate to your PC through file transfer, then you can copy the screenshot file from your device to have a reference, and, as a side note, you can still use the ADB sideload feature to flash the file from your PC using TWRP.
Device not booting may be, either, due to not formatting data or not flashing the vbmeta for your device or lastly, not flashing the DM verity disabler.
Thank you for your help:

How did you flash TWRP? Are you sure you flashed permanently, or only booted to it?

I install it with adb command "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img", i think the install is correct (also the phone brick again after the install)

When you are saying, not able to flash anything through TWRP, then, isn't the option there? Can you upload some screenshot through TWRP´ main screen?

I add 2 pictures, in picture 1 is the option "install" of twrp, as you can see the side bar is the lowest it can go and as you can see no files are show, only folders, in picture 2 i use the "file manager" option on "Advanced", here you can see the Magisk apk but of course i can't install from file manager.

You can still use the ADB sideload feature to flash the file from your PC using TWRP.

I read something about that, but i read a comment of someone wipping the info of the PC so i don't risk since i'm a noob.

Again, i'm a noob, i only apply the "monkey see, monkey do" after watching tutorials, i can't understand anything about this part, i mean, formating what data? no idea what "vbmeta" is, also no idea about what is "DM verification Disabler"

Sorry, I'm oversaturated with info because i search for a solution for like 10 hours+ in various websites and youtube, probably i miss something simple.

Attachments

• im1.jpg
    im1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • im2.jpg
    im2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12

AtoZ0to9

What happened to rom development compared to 5 or 10 years ago? I figured thought that development would have increased over time. I thought it was just my device (OP9), just a few roms with very few likes on them, so I stopped in the pixel 6 / 6 pro forums, and there weren't any roms. Is xda dying?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Thank you for your help:

How did you flash TWRP? Are you sure you flashed permanently, or only booted to it?

I install it with adb command "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img", i think the install is correct (also the phone brick again after the install)
If you are in MM, then you should use these files, https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/ask-any-question-newbie-friendly.2259645/page-1592#post-87089841 not sure which process you did, in those days, some users pretend to bypass the official unlocking process, and just flashed a custom aboot file to bypass, AVB security, so it depends on what exactly you did,
When you are saying, not able to flash anything through TWRP, then, isn't the option there? Can you upload some screenshot through TWRP´ main screen?

I add 2 pictures, in picture 1 is the option "install" of twrp, as you can see the side bar is the lowest it can go and as you can see no files are show, only folders, in picture 2 i use the "file manager" option on "Advanced", here you can see the Magisk apk but of course i can't install from file manager.
Did you navigate to where the file is? It looks like Magisk is in your SD card, not in your internal memory?
Edit; I noticed you didn't change the Magisk file extension, so probably TWRP install menu won't find it.
You can still use the ADB sideload feature to flash the file from your PC using TWRP.

I read something about that, but i read a comment of someone wipping the info of the PC so i don't risk since i'm a noob.
No, it's just other method to flash a file, also you can transfer or sideload the file to your Android device, then flashing it through your PC either using the ADB sideload or some TWRP scripts that is available through your CMD Windows PC (or Linux based)

Again, i'm a noob, i only apply the "monkey see, monkey do" after watching tutorials, i can't understand anything about this part, i mean, formating what data? no idea what "vbmeta" is, also no idea about what is "DM verification Disabler"

Sorry, I'm oversaturated with info because i search for a solution for like 10 hours+ in various websites and youtube, probably i miss something simple.
If you didn't do something unofficial to unlock the bootloader, then you can boot to TWRP, and then flash this file to can boot to system https://build.nethunter.com/android-tools/no-verity-opt-encrypt/no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0.zip

Last edited:

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
What happened to rom development compared to 5 or 10 years ago? I figured thought that development would have increased over time. I thought it was just my device (OP9), just a few roms with very few likes on them, so I stopped in the pixel 6 / 6 pro forums, and there weren't any roms. Is xda dying?
I used to compile ROMs for my previous devices (I think I built & published about 10+ ROMS for up to 4 device here on XDA). Its now becoming a LOT more difficult & time consuming. These are things that make the OS better, just more difficult to develop for. For example, the RO system partition, although much more secure and stable, it makes it a HUGE hassle if a dev wants to simply go into TWRP, modify/replace a file or two to test a concept. Actually, previously one could often simply modify the file on a rooted device, and sometimes not even have to reboot or flash. Also, even building a ROM is taking much more time (ie the build process) and more demanding on computer specs. So a dev needs bigger & better computers and drives and have to wait longer for the build to complete, only to find it fails at the last step, and then make the change and start the build again. ie the longer it takes can have an almost exponential effect. These are my roadblocks, others will have their reasons.

Last edited:

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
I used to compile ROMs for my previous devices (I think I built & published about 10+ ROMS for up to 4 device here on XDA). Its now becoming a LOT more difficult & time consuming. These are things that make the OS better, just more difficult to develop for. For example, the RO system partition, although much more secure and stable, it makes it a HUGE hassle if a dev wants to simply go into TWRP, modify/replace a file or two to test a concept. Actually, previously one could often simply modify the file on a rooted device, and sometimes not even have to reboot or flash. Also, even building a ROM is taking much more time (ie the build process) and more demanding on computer specs. So a dev needs bigger & better computers and drives and have to wait longer for the build to complete, only to find it fails at the last step, and then make the change and start the build again. ie thye longer it takes can have an almost exponential effect. These are my roadblocks, others will have their reasons.
so basically "things" were simpler a few years ago?
my guess (NOT a developer) would be about android 9?
when would you say "roughly" that things changed mr. @DiamondJohn ?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
so basically "things" were simpler a few years ago?
my guess (NOT a developer) would be about android 9?
when would you say "roughly" that things changed mr. @DiamondJohn ?
Yes, things were definitely simpler.

I think it is very dependent on the device. ie hardware-software integration and r/o partitions etc etc I know Oreo was pretty easy for my devices, which were shipped originally with much older androids. And now my Pixel 4a is a big commitment to do my first attempt at a 12 build. From memory, my PC could pump out an oreo build from source in 1hr. Also from memory, I tried a Pie build, and that jumped to 1.5hrs. On a side, I personally think that the availability and functionality of TWRP for the device is a good "acid test". Note, there still isnt a stable and fully functional TWRP for my Pixel 4a. ITS A PIXEL DEVICE! People think if they can flash it, then its stable and fully functional. Its not the case. Having TWRP is different to a fully functional and usable TWRP. To put it into some perspective, TWRP used to take only 8 minutes to build for my device, compared to 1hr for a ROM.

Just for another example of what I was talking about above, previously to change the boot animation was simply a case of copying a ZIP file to the system partition. Now, to do it properly requires a new build & flash of the whole ROM. It can be "half done" using magisk, but on my current Pixel 4a, it plays the old animation until after a forced warm reboot in the module, thus showing a few seconds of the stock animation, followed by a restart from the very start of the new animation.

Artuditto

Jun 29, 2022
If you are in MM, then you should use these files, https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/ask-any-question-newbie-friendly.2259645/page-1592#post-87089841 not sure which process you did, in those days, some users pretend to bypass the official unlocking process, and just flashed a custom aboot file to bypass, AVB security, so it depends on what exactly you did,

Did you navigate to where the file is? It looks like Magisk is in your SD card, not in your internal memory?
Edit; I noticed you didn't change the Magisk file extension, so probably TWRP install menu won't find it.

No, it's just other method to flash a file, also you can transfer or sideload the file to your Android device, then flashing it through your PC either using the ADB sideload or some TWRP scripts that is available through your CMD Windows PC (or Linux based)

If you didn't do something unofficial to unlock the bootloader, then you can boot to TWRP, and then flash this file to can boot to system https://build.nethunter.com/android-tools/no-verity-opt-encrypt/no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0.zip
I honestly appreciate the time you take to read and try to solve my problem but i think it's better to quit, i kinda understand what you are saying but i'm really a complete noob about android tools, terminology, process and everything you say (i don't even undertand what "If you are in MM" means), for me everything is a full new process i need to learn and actually i'm kinda bored of Pokemon Go, the only reason i try to update the phone in the first place (i root and flash other phones with ease, i don't understand why xiaomi phones are so complicated). I will visit your reply again in the future, once the frustration of all this fail process fades from my mind. Thank you for the help,

Reactions: SubwayChamp

Biden2020prez

May 30, 2022
Hi, is there a way I could look up secret codes specifically for my Android Device. I have a flip phone, and those kinds of phones often have special codes for certain functionalities like developer settings. Is there a method to find those codes?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Hi, is there a way I could look up secret codes specifically for my Android Device. I have a flip phone, and those kinds of phones often have special codes for certain functionalities like developer settings. Is there a method to find those codes?
You can access to developer options by tapping repeatedly in build number 7 times.
Also, to launch some actions/activities, as some of them, are not usually accessible to every user, or non having an interface to interact with, by using some app like this or similar https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.szalkowski.activitylauncher&hl=es_PY&gl=US.
And for so-called "secret" or hidden codes you may search in Google, "secret codes for Samsung devices", also based on the processor, "secret codes for Qualcomm/MediaTek devices", I don't think you find something special about Exynos though.

Biden2020prez

May 30, 2022
You can access to developer options by tapping repeatedly in build number 7 times.
Also, to launch some actions/activities, as some of them, are not usually accessible to every user, or non having an interface to interact with, by using some app like this or similar https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.szalkowski.activitylauncher&hl=es_PY&gl=US.
And for so-called "secret" or hidden codes you may search in Google, "secret codes for Samsung devices", also based on the processor, "secret codes for Qualcomm/MediaTek devices", I don't think you find something special about Exynos though.
Flip phones are built different. Build number 7 times doesn't enable developer options, the phone doesn't have play store, etc. I found a code to enable USB debugging. Basically, the codes are probably stored somewhere in the phone, (maybe the root), I just want to know where and how to search it.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Flip phones are built different. Build number 7 times doesn't enable developer options, the phone doesn't have play store, etc. I found a code to enable USB debugging. Basically, the codes are probably stored somewhere in the phone, (maybe the root), I just want to know where and how to search it.
Flip refers to a different thing, they don't have a different OS because they are flip phones, probably you are referring to a feature phone, and probably powered by KaiOS, there are flip and non-flip phones powered by KaiOS, the same way that there are flip and non-flip phones powered by Android, to not mention those powered by Symbian, the old days, some of them still alive.

If I'm not wrong, in the forum is not discussed these feature phones, anyway I found a little about this kind of devices https://forum.xda-developers.com/tags/kaios/

Biden2020prez

May 30, 2022
Flip refers to a different thing, they don't have a different OS because they are flip phones, probably you are referring to a feature phone, and probably powered by KaiOS, there are flip and non-flip phones powered by KaiOS, the same way that there are flip and non-flip phones powered by Android, to not mention those powered by Symbian, the old days, some of them still alive.

If I'm not wrong, in the forum is not discussed these feature phones, anyway I found a little about this kind of devices https://forum.xda-developers.com/tags/kaios/
No, it's a TCL Flip 2 and runs Android 11. But Flip Phones are a little different then Smartphones still. They have no Google Play. I tried to install APK, but couldn't. This thread explains a lot https://forums.apps4flip.com/d/596-alcatel-tcl-flip-2-t408dl/35

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
No, it's a TCL Flip 2 and runs Android 11. But Flip Phones are a little different then Smartphones still. They have no Google Play. I tried to install APK, but couldn't. This thread explains a lot https://forums.apps4flip.com/d/596-alcatel-tcl-flip-2-t408dl/35
Then probably, just my assumption, it's a modified Android, a less powered one with limited functions, or probably runs a kind of MozillaOS/FireOS, it's normally intended for seniors or people that don't want to run in troubles or in a complicated environment, I saw that in the forum you linked there is a CMD command to enter to developer options.
secret codes: https://forums.apps4flip.com/d/197-secret-codes-for-flip-phones/5

Biden2020prez

May 30, 2022
Then probably, just my assumption, it's a modified Android, a less powered one with limited functions, or probably runs a kind of MozillaOS/FireOS, it's normally intended for seniors or people that don't want to run in troubles or in a complicated environment, I saw that in the forum you linked there is a CMD command to enter to developer options.
secret codes: https://forums.apps4flip.com/d/197-secret-codes-for-flip-phones/5
Yeah, I'm just trying to find other codes, I know someone once found a code for the NUU F4L (another AOSP Android flip phone, which allowed it to install apk). Im just curious how people find these codes in the first place. But I'm pretty sure it has Google, because the package name of the browser is com.chromium.chrome, I see no indication of Firefox or webapps.

MiSSigNNo

Feb 7, 2006
Madrid
4p.marketing
Is this guide still valid nowadays?
I see it was made 10 years ago. Surely there should be new methods currently.
Any guidance on learning about ROM Development for 2022?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Is this guide still valid nowadays?
I see it was made 10 years ago. Surely there should be new methods currently.
Any guidance on learning about ROM Development for 2022?
A few years ago I started building ROMs; iv'e had a break the last few. The best info/instructions I found was on the LOS "how to build for ????" they give instructions for each device. I would read that AND all the other examples you can find. The XDA threads started a long time ago, but they are good edit goo to gooD if you get a problem along the way. ie the instructions in the OP are outdated. The one I used in the past was
edit: but reading is a big part of learning, so the old has some info that may still apply. Its just no longer a step by step for the latest android, whereas the LOS ones will be closer to complete, but I have seen errors in there too

Last edited:

MiSSigNNo

Feb 7, 2006
Madrid
4p.marketing
edit: but reading is a big part of learning, so the old has some info that may still apply. Its just no longer a step by step for the latest android, whereas the LOS ones will be closer to complete, but I have seen errors in there too
This is from 2016. Do you think is still valid?

Firstly I need some foundations to start moving forward. I would like to start by replicating one of the ROMs that I already know, are working under my device. Basically I want to start with the premise the if someone did it, I could do it again, before I venture in "new devices" into the unknown camp.

I think I could build from sources and all that without issues, but I don't really know where I must be touching and tweaking things to make things work. I have 0 knowledge about this topic.

plegdroid

Recognized Contributor
Sep 15, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hi, Sir I need TWRP recovery for Vivo Y30 with Android 10. Can you please help me?
Welcome to xda matey. You have not stated, what steps you have already taken to locate this version of Twrp, so I googled it for you, top of the list....

I cannot pertain to the validity of the linked site or if this version of TWRP will be compatible or not with android 10.

😊 ☕

Last edited:
Reactions: mrrocketdog

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok , not sure if there is help for this but ; i got a used htc m9 thats att branded but had been used on metropcs. i cannot get a data connection. cannot change APNs. when opening apn screen there is a message , "apn settings unavailable for this user".
    i went ahead and used kingroot to gain root thinking that would allow me to modify apns in system (if thats where they are and if i could find them) but system is read only and so far cannot get rw permission. have tried with a root app and TE using "remount -o ………"
    anyone have an idea for me to get rw in system?
    p.s. tried "supersume" app to get superSU but fails every time so far.
    p.p.s. phone not recognized in computer. when plug it in no dialog pops up about allow this device always etc.
    any ideas , thoughts r most welcome ,
    dave
    Probably, you can modify those files and push them back using TWRP. Also, you have this https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-superrw-featuring-makerw-read-write.4247311/
    Hello,

I am new to this forum and sorry to duplicate the question. I posted it in a separate (stand-alone) thread but have not received any responses.

Basically, I just bought 2 prepaid TracFones, one is TCL A509DL (Android 11) and the other is LG Stylo 5 (Android 9). I was trying to make them my GPS units without activating them. One caveat, I have headaches from EMFs, so my thought was to put both phones in Airplane Mode and to use a USB to Ethernet dongle and connect them to the Internet over the wired connection to run initial updates and to update maps. None of the phones recognized the Ethernet connection.

Is it possible to run initial updates using Ethernet with the stock drivers/firmware, how do I update to the latest? Or do I need to root the phone and find some alternatives to google maps?

Would you please suggest?
    Thank you

Airplane mode makes it ignore connections via internal radio and USB. You probably won't find a solution to work while airplane mode is enabled.
    Is it possible to change a phones ppi

Can we use samsung m21 rom in m30s since all specs are same except selfie camera ?​

Probably, if the camera doesn't work, you might be able to extract the files to make it work from your stock firmware and apply them to your ROM.
    I'm sure there's a better place to ask this, so apologies. Is there only the one xda app available (on Google Play)? It seems incomplete, or just hard to use. I get a better experience in the mobile browser. Am I missing something?
    i think most peeps get better experience in mobile browser. i personally use the app though. but whichever suits best.
    Hello guys..:)
    I would like you to go through XDA new users guide and you must read the FORUM RULES before posting here or anywhere else on xda.

The rate at which the new users are joining xda on daily basis is very high. A lot of users join because they have got some problems with their devices like bricked phone, bootloops etc. because of following incorrect processes. Some join to help out others, to share their knowledge and gain more.

So basically this thread is for all of those who want to ask questions and answer those.

So those who want to help here, just try to answer without flaming, let it be answered thousands of times earlier, show them the path, direction and let them do things on their own. Do not spoon feed, rather just try to point them to right direction.

This whole idea is of @undercover and the former OP Bruce Wayne and I thank him.

To The people asking questions here, don't forget to check for the links from 2nd post. That will help you increase your knowledge, and do answer the questions asked by others if you know the answer. Please don't simply say thanks if some member helps you, instead use the thanks button, that will help us keep this thread less cluttered.
    [Ask Any Question] [Help Thread] NOOB FRIENDLY

Here are the names of some of my friends helping you on the thread.(Updated often)
    @iamareebjamal
    @Zatta
    @dagger (the original OP of this thread)
    @Stryke_the_Orc
    @prototype-U
    @EatHeat
    @nlygamz
    @plegdroid
    @Gogeta
    @malybru
    @Jimlarck
    @ADDICT.ANK
    @Primokorn
    @luqman98
    @hnkotnis
    @thenookieforlife3
    @ИΘΘK¡€
    @Sam Nakamura
    @xunholyx

@SubwayChamp

@ktmom

@Ibuprophen

Please do let me know if I have missed some names..:)

For a list of guides,refer here.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2073370
    Thanks to @Hpsgill

Atlast

Please dont spam the thread..​
    Hi mate!
    Nice to see a much needed thread like this here.. hope new members as well as old ones find this thread useful! :thumbup:

"To err is human, to forgive is divine"
    Sent from my SGS II