Ask for upgrading firmware

Search This thread

yusepridwan

Feb 26, 2016
Sorry for my bad english and stupid question too.
I have htc m8 , i want to upgrade firmware to the latest 6.0xx.xxx, and my current firmware still 1.90x.xxx.
Can i jump flashing to 6.0x.xxx or flssh previous version 4.xxx? Thx for your answer siry , many thanks.

f9088e860b14d9d1661c922370b38d21.jpg

Sent from my HTC M8 using Tapatalk

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Are you having problems? Unless you have S-off, it is not recommended to flash newer firmware.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

What? Anyone can update firmware as long as it is signed. You only need S-Off to flash modified/unsigned firmware

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

I want go back to stock rom sir

Post the results here of fastboot getvar all with your IMEI and serial # removed ( that's private info), and I or someone else here will be able to point you to an RUU that will return you to the stock ROM and recovery.

Reactions: redpoint73

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Read my reply again. I told him that it is not recommended to flash newer firmware, I did not say you can not flash newer firmware as you can not go down unless you have S-Off.

Not recommended by who? Are people who are S-On just supposed to stay on old firmware forever?
I've never heard of anyone not recommending to S-On users to not update their firmware, they just can't use a modified firmware package. It won't damage their devices if they try, but they will get a signature error (error 155 or possibly error 12) and the firmware flash will abort.

Last edited:

Hidden Username

Dec 25, 2012
Not recommended by who? Are people who are S-On just supposed to stay on old firmware forever?
I've never heard of anyone not recommending to S-On users to not update their firmware, they just can't use a modified firmware package. It won't damage their devices if they try, but they will get a signature error (error 155 or possibly error 12) and the firmware flash will abort.

People on S-On are better off staying in their older firmware if everything is working as expected. If somebody was on 5.1.1 and upgraded to 6.0 with the new firmware, it would be impossible for them to go back. Now if they were on 5.1.1 and upgraded to 6.0 without the firmware, just the ROM, then they could go back no problem.

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
People on S-On are better off staying in their older firmware if everything is working as expected. If somebody was on 5.1.1 and upgraded to 6.0 with the new firmware, it would be impossible for them to go back. Now if they were on 5.1.1 and upgraded to 6.0 without the firmware, just the ROM, then they could go back no problem.

It's ALWAYS recommended to be on the latest firmware. It includes new security updates among other things like bug fixes. You can always go back to an older ROM version even if you have updated your firmware.

I'll state it as clear as I can for you.
What you are saying is wrong. Period.

Hidden Username

Dec 25, 2012
It's ALWAYS recommended to be on the latest firmware. It includes new security updates among other things like bug fixes. You can always go back to an older ROM version even if you have updated your firmware.

I'll state it as clear as I can for you.
What you are saying is wrong. Period.
I'll have to disagree. You can not go back on an older firmware if you have newer firmware (Unless you have S-Off). Try flashing Kitkat on an S-On M8 that has Marshmallow installed. It will fail.

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I'll have to disagree. You can not go back on an older firmware if you have newer firmware (Unless you have S-Off). Try flashing Kitkat on an S-On M8 that has Marshmallow installed. It will fail.

Really? Okay, I'm just heading out for dinner right now, but when I get home I'll flash a KitKat ROM onto my M8 with Marshmallow firmware and post some screenshots.
The thing here is, I know more about firmware than any aspect of the M8's operating system.

I'll ask one more time, recommended by who? Link me to the thread that states this. And I don't mean a thread with a comment from some noob in it. I mean a thread by someone with some experience that states not to update your firmware if you are S-On.

Hidden Username

Dec 25, 2012
Really? Okay, I'm just heading out for dinner right now, but when I get home I'll flash a KitKat ROM onto my M8 with Marshmallow firmware and post some screenshots.
The thing here is, I know more about firmware than any aspect of the M8's operating system.

I'll ask one more time, recommended by who? Link me to the thread that states this. And I don't mean a thread with a comment from some noob in it. I mean a thread by someone with some experience that states not to update your firmware if you are S-On.
Sorry I meant downgrading officially as in flashing an RUU of kitkat. Not via a TWRP ZIP. As for the recommendation, look around XDA, you will not find anyone saying to upgrade firmware and requests to "downgrade" with S-On are filled with people saying impossible to do with an RUU.

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Sorry I meant downgrading officially as in flashing an RUU of kitkat. Not via a TWRP ZIP. As for the recommendation, look around XDA, you will not find anyone saying to upgrade firmware and requests to "downgrade" with S-On are filled with people saying impossible to do with an RUU.

Yeah it is, but there is no reason to downgrade firmware. Security updates and bug fixes. The ROM is independent of the firmware.
Okay, stay on KitKat. Enjoy that Stagefright exploit.

Hidden Username

Dec 25, 2012
Yeah it is, but there is no reason to downgrade firmware. Security updates and bug fixes. The ROM is independent of the firmware.
Not sure why you are taking this so personally. Typical teenage minds, I don't blame you.

As for the Kitkat thing, I am on 6.0. Did not know that's also Kitkat.

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Not sure why you are taking this so personally. Typical teenage minds, I don't blame you.

Teenaged mind? I'm 49 years old. And I'm not taking it personally, I'm trying to stop the spread of misinformation.

Another thing about staying updated with your firmware is that if you don't, flashing ROMs on newer bases will break stuff. For instance, if you flash Lollipop+ ROMs onto a phone with Kitkat firmware, your wifi won't work.

yusepridwan

Feb 26, 2016
What? Anyone can update firmware as long as it is signed. You only need S-Off to flash modified/unsigned firmware

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

Post the results here of fastboot getvar all with your IMEI and serial # removed ( that's private info), and I or someone else here will be able to point you to an RUU that will return you to the stock ROM and recovery.
This is sir, please help me to find correct firmware and wich step to flash, via RUU or Hboot? Im noob sir sorry

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.18.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.19.21331147A1.09G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 2.22.707.4
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno:
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B11***
(bootloader) cidnum: 11111111
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 5e4b24e4
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.022s

Last edited:

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
This is sir, please help me to find correct firmware and wich step to flash, via RUU or Hboot? Im noob sir sorry

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.18.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.19.21331147A1.09G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 2.22.707.4
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno:
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B11***
(bootloader) cidnum: 11111111
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 5e4b24e4
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.022s

First off, edit your post and delete your IMEI and serial #
Okay, your firmware isn't 1.90 as you stated, it's 2.22.707.4. The firmware version you are seeing is in settings > about > software version. That's the ROM base, and from those numbers I would guess you are running one of the new ROMs ported from the HTC 10.

Okay. Make a nandroid backup and save it to your extSD. Also make sure that anything important to you is backed up as well, like photos and contacts and stuff (just in case you can't restore you nandroid) that Google will already have backed up for you if you opted in for that. I'm telling you to do this because the RUU you are about to run will wipe your phone clean.

Download this RUU to your PC. It's an update to Lollipop, and after you are done flashing it, you will be prompted soon for a software update on your phone for Marshmallow 6.0 via OTA

After the download is finished, hook your phone up to your PC and double click on the download (no need to re-lock your bootloader since you are S-Off). Follow the prompts and you'll soon be running Lollipop. You will also be on stock ROM and recovery. Wait for the OTA update (you can also go to settings > about > software updates to check ~ it's faster usually) and after that you will be on 6.0

When you are up to MM firmware, flash the latest TWRP, restore your nandroid (if it's worth it ~ if you flashed a ported ROM from the 10, you probably clean flashed), and then flash your favorite ROM

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007

There is nothing here that indicates that xunholyx is taking anything personally. He simply pointed out where your info is incorrect, which nearly all of it is.

You on the other hand, should tread carefully in making quick and unfounded assumptions about other users. xunholyx is one of the most helpful, knowledgeable folks remaining here on the M8 forums. His reputation for helping others is nearly beyond question; and I've always seen his posts to be polite and on-topic.

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

xunholyx wasn't talking about downgrading firmware. He was talking about running the MM firmware with an older ROM (such as LP) flashed in TWRP, which if fully possible.

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Are you having problems? Unless you have S-off, it is not recommended to flash newer firmware.

OP is on still on Kitkat, and its a poor recommendation to advise staying on an Android version that is 2 years old; as stated by xunholyx, there have been a huge number of security fixes over that period of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: xunholyx

yusepridwan

Feb 26, 2016
First off, edit your post and delete your IMEI and serial #
Okay, your firmware isn't 1.90 as you stated, it's 2.22.707.4. The firmware version you are seeing is in settings > about > software version. That's the ROM base, and from those numbers I would guess you are running one of the new ROMs ported from the HTC 10.

Okay. Make a nandroid backup and save it to your extSD. Also make sure that anything important to you is backed up as well, like photos and contacts and stuff (just in case you can't restore you nandroid) that Google will already have backed up for you if you opted in for that. I'm telling you to do this because the RUU you are about to run will wipe your phone clean.

Download this RUU to your PC. It's an update to Lollipop, and after you are done flashing it, you will be prompted soon for a software update on your phone for Marshmallow 6.0 via OTA

After the download is finished, hook your phone up to your PC and double click on the download (no need to re-lock your bootloader since you are S-Off). Follow the prompts and you'll soon be running Lollipop. You will also be on stock ROM and recovery. Wait for the OTA update (you can also go to settings > about > software updates to check ~ it's faster usually) and after that you will be on 6.0

When you are up to MM firmware, flash the latest TWRP, restore your nandroid (if it's worth it ~ if you flashed a ported ROM from the 10, you probably clean flashed), and then flash your favorite ROM
Amazing sir, many thanks for your great help.
One more thanks sir [emoji4]

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I want go back to stock rom sir

Read my reply again. I told him that it is not recommended to flash newer firmware, I did not say you can not flash newer firmware as you can not go down unless you have S-Off.

Teenaged mind? I'm 49 years old. And I'm not taking it personally, I'm trying to stop the spread of misinformation.

Another thing about staying updated with your firmware is that if you don't, flashing ROMs on newer bases will break stuff. For instance, if you flash Lollipop+ ROMs onto a phone with Kitkat firmware, your wifi won't work.