Ask Me Anything about the OnePlus Nord

Search This thread

WhiteWolf

Jan 11, 2013
Really confused between this and other options like realme x3 ... Only the developer support is swaying me towards nord as x3 wont have as good developer support..

jmac052002

Hi XDA,

I've used the OnePlus Nord for nearly 3 weeks now and did a review of it for XDA: https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-nord-review/

If you have any questions about the device, ask them here and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.

So what do you have a European version or Indian and are you using it in the U.S. if so does mobile data work well, I have thought about importing one. Also I own the pixel 4 XL and I love and appreciate all your coverage on pixels and the Android developer previews and betas.

MishaalRahman

Retired Editor in Chief
Nov 2, 2015
www.xda-developers.com
Really confused between this and other options like realme x3 ... Only the developer support is swaying me towards nord as x3 wont have as good developer support..

The Snapdragon 855+ in the Realme X3 SuperZoom has better CPU and GPU performance. The Realme X3 SuperZoom also offers better camera versatility with its telephoto lens and a better primary camera sensor. It also has a higher refresh rate display (albeit it's LCD and not OLED if that bothers you). However, you're right that long-term support of the Realme X3 SuperZoom is a lot iffier.

Nord has dual-frequency GPS, i.e. support for L5/E5 signals and bands that could give meter precision (compared to about 5m without).
How is the GPS quality?

Sorry, with COVID-19 and me working from home, I can't really give you any detailed tests on this.

So what do you have a European version or Indian and are you using it in the U.S. if so does mobile data work well, I have thought about importing one. Also I own the pixel 4 XL and I love and appreciate all your coverage on pixels and the Android developer previews and betas.

European version - using it with my T-Mobile SIM card in the U.S. I don't use mobile data much but everything "works." I can't tell you how well it actually works in big downtown areas or in every city - check the supported bands to see how well it'll work in your area.

One simple, two other questions

How broad is this phone, could you use it with onehand? If i grasp my current phone my thumb can't reach past the middle of the screen. I don't enjoy that.

How many googleapps are on this phone? I didn't like they use googlephone and messages instead of their own.
Then news said googlefeed is on the phone if you swipe left, can you turn this feature off or is it baked in oxygenos?
Is this phone for someone who does not use google a lot?

Last question; can you disable paralell apps feature and use your own app for it ? (Like island for sandboxing apps.)
ty so much for your time.

Yes, I can use the phone in one hand. However, OOS really needs to bring back its one-handed mode that appeared in an earlier OOS beta for the 7 series...that would help with reaching buttons on the top.

In addition to all the Google apps present on all GMS-certified phones, there's also the Google Phone app and Google Messages as the default dialer and messaging app.

Google Feed can be turned off in OnePlus Launcher settings. The Shelf is thankfully still accessible with a swipe down gesture (it's no longer available on the minus one screen to the left where Google Feed is, though).

Well, you don't have to use Google apps if you don't want to. You can change the default dialer and messaging apps and pretty much everything else.

For Parallel apps: You don't have to use it, so yes, you can use Island or Shelter or whatever other work profile/sandboxing app you want.

hemachandransk

Jul 30, 2020
Please upload the all screen shot of camera 2 api probe compatibility test so that I can know the video frame rates etc..
And also please do the free filmic pro evaluater test (it is free in Google play) and share the screenshot.

---------- Post added at 04:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 AM ----------

Please upload the all screen shot of camera 2 api probe compatibility test so that I can know the video frame rates etc..
And also please do the free filmic pro evaluater test (it is free in Google play) and share the screenshot.

Hi XDA,

I've used the OnePlus Nord for nearly 3 weeks now and did a review of it for XDA: https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-nord-review/

If you have any questions about the device, ask them here and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.

cheptii

Nov 28, 2014
Tunis
Do you have screen tinting issues like in this screenshot ?: (at low brightness)
1377102-f2926c2a82e330879f83baf925b63a7d.jpg

MishaalRahman

Retired Editor in Chief
Nov 2, 2015
www.xda-developers.com
Can you check if display tint issue is present like in OnePlus 8 series?

Nope, no green or purple tinting issues at low brightnesses and with black/gray colors showing on screen. My unit seems normal.

Filmic Pro Evaluator and Camera2 API Probe results: https://imgur.com/a/wzAfUrB

Do you have screen tinting issues like in this screenshot ?: (at low brightness)

As mentioned above, no screen tinting issues. I've read the Reddit and OnePlus forum posts and do not see any green or purple tinting at low brightnesses.

Reactions: Aaron26

Ozozuz

Mar 16, 2015
Hi, can you share what are your temperatures with some generic light/use?
I'm noticing that just watching some youtube video/netflix will bring the battery to around 38C, cpu temp will follow at 37-39C.
Not enought to hurt by any means, but it's kinda unpleasant to feel.

Buxeri

Jul 31, 2020
hello any problem with notifications ? i am missing a lot, only appears when i unlock the phone. I try to disable battery smart optimization but nothing. :(

Reactions: DIR49DNOR0N

MishaalRahman

Retired Editor in Chief
Nov 2, 2015
www.xda-developers.com
Hi, can you share what are your temperatures with some generic light/use?
I'm noticing that just watching some youtube video/netflix will bring the battery to around 38C, cpu temp will follow at 37-39C.
Not enought to hurt by any means, but it's kinda unpleasant to feel.

For me, the phone stayed very cool even during heavy gaming (Dolphin Emulator, Citra Emulator) and didn't throttle at all. So I would say temperatures haven't been an issue for me.

hello any problem with notifications ? i am missing a lot, only appears when i unlock the phone. I try to disable battery smart optimization but nothing. :(

Yes, this is a problem with OxygenOS, unfortunately. Make sure you disable "sleep standby optimization" https://www.xda-developers.com/files/2020/07/OxygenOS-10.5-Sleep-Standby-Optimization-300x200.jpg and set each app you want to get notifications for to "don't optimize": https://www.xda-developers.com/files/2020/07/OxygenOS-10.5-Intelligent-Control-254x300.jpg

This won't guarantee a fix, but it may help.

Will do a folder to allow us to see full quality pictures ?

Sorry, my storage space would be quickly eaten up if I stored folders in original quality for every review!

mathew_ver1

Apr 21, 2020
The Nord seems to be priced just right (and it's from OnePlus, so it's popular already among XDA users) for it to gain traction. I think there'll be a decent selection of custom ROMs.

Speaking of that, I'm confused between k20 pro and Nord.
Considering, K20 pro is set to get official Lineage soon, development is good and at the same time every piece of hardware on it is better or at least on par while costing less about 6k in the upcoming sale.
What would you prefer personally for a person who uses a device for about 5 years ? For now, nord doesn't seem promising in terms of dev support as there isn't any dev seeding program from oneplus for this device and we already saw what happened with almost similarly priced 7/7T without that program. I guess barely any recognized developer would get the nord out of his pocket for that price unless I'm wrong. What's your suggestion and take on it ?

acizane80

Nov 18, 2007
Is there a possibility to use call recorder on the OnePlus Nord? I have been looking for days now and could not find it. I know the nord has the google dialer, is there a possibility to use the OnePlus dialer with joneplus app?

MishaalRahman

Retired Editor in Chief
Nov 2, 2015
www.xda-developers.com
Considering, K20 pro is set to get official Lineage soon, development is good and at the same time every piece of hardware on it is better or at least on par while costing less about 6k in the upcoming sale.
What would you prefer personally for a person who uses a device for about 5 years ? For now, nord doesn't seem promising in terms of dev support as there isn't any dev seeding program from oneplus for this device and we already saw what happened with almost similarly priced 7/7T without that program. I guess barely any recognized developer would get the nord out of his pocket for that price unless I'm wrong. What's your suggestion and take on it ?

OnePlus does have a dev seeding program they just don't publicize it. The Redmi K20 Pro is a great phone and I can't recommend against it. It already has proven it will have a thriving developer community. However, its official support won't last as long as the new Nord, so make of that what you will.

Is OnePlus Nord supporting full Camera2API ?

This should have all you're looking for: https://pastebin.com/raw/8fQeL7YM

Is there a possibility to use call recorder on the OnePlus Nord? I have been looking for days now and could not find it. I know the nord has the google dialer, is there a possibility to use the OnePlus dialer with joneplus app?

Google Phone app does support call recording but not in all regions and not enabled on all device models. I live in the U.S. where it's not enabled, but I can't tell you about Europe or India.

Reactions: Cyterafle

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi XDA,

The Snapdragon 855+ in the Realme X3 SuperZoom has better CPU and GPU performance. The Realme X3 SuperZoom also offers better camera versatility with its telephoto lens and a better primary camera sensor. It also has a higher refresh rate display (albeit it's LCD and not OLED if that bothers you). However, you're right that long-term support of the Realme X3 SuperZoom is a lot iffier.

Nord has dual-frequency GPS, i.e. support for L5/E5 signals and bands that could give meter precision (compared to about 5m without).
    How is the GPS quality?

Sorry, with COVID-19 and me working from home, I can't really give you any detailed tests on this.

European version - using it with my T-Mobile SIM card in the U.S. I don't use mobile data much but everything "works." I can't tell you how well it actually works in big downtown areas or in every city - check the supported bands to see how well it'll work in your area.

One simple, two other questions

How broad is this phone, could you use it with onehand? If i grasp my current phone my thumb can't reach past the middle of the screen. I don't enjoy that.

How many googleapps are on this phone? I didn't like they use googlephone and messages instead of their own.
    Then news said googlefeed is on the phone if you swipe left, can you turn this feature off or is it baked in oxygenos?
    Is this phone for someone who does not use google a lot?

Last question; can you disable paralell apps feature and use your own app for it ? (Like island for sandboxing apps.)
    ty so much for your time.

Yes, I can use the phone in one hand. However, OOS really needs to bring back its one-handed mode that appeared in an earlier OOS beta for the 7 series...that would help with reaching buttons on the top.

In addition to all the Google apps present on all GMS-certified phones, there's also the Google Phone app and Google Messages as the default dialer and messaging app.

Google Feed can be turned off in OnePlus Launcher settings. The Shelf is thankfully still accessible with a swipe down gesture (it's no longer available on the minus one screen to the left where Google Feed is, though).

Well, you don't have to use Google apps if you don't want to. You can change the default dialer and messaging apps and pretty much everything else.

For Parallel apps: You don't have to use it, so yes, you can use Island or Shelter or whatever other work profile/sandboxing app you want.
    Can you check if display tint issue is present like in OnePlus 8 series?

Nope, no green or purple tinting issues at low brightnesses and with black/gray colors showing on screen. My unit seems normal.

Filmic Pro Evaluator and Camera2 API Probe results: https://imgur.com/a/wzAfUrB

As mentioned above, no screen tinting issues. I've read the Reddit and OnePlus forum posts and do not see any green or purple tinting at low brightnesses.

OnePlus does have a dev seeding program they just don't publicize it. The Redmi K20 Pro is a great phone and I can't recommend against it. It already has proven it will have a thriving developer community. However, its official support won't last as long as the new Nord, so make of that what you will.

Is OnePlus Nord supporting full Camera2API ?

This should have all you're looking for: https://pastebin.com/raw/8fQeL7YM

Google Phone app does support call recording but not in all regions and not enabled on all device models. I live in the U.S. where it's not enabled, but I can't tell you about Europe or India.