Ask Me Anything on the Google Pixel 3 XL and Pixel Stand

Search This thread

MishaalRahman

Editor in Chief
Nov 2, 2015
www.xda-developers.com
Hello everyone,

I'm the Editor-in-Chief of the XDA Portal. I received the Pixel 3 XL in Just Black for review from Google. I also have the Pixel Stand and Pixel USB-C Earbuds.

I posted part 1 of my review here: https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-xl-camera-software-design-pixel-stand/

Have posted a ton of little tidbits of information here: https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-google-pixel-3-xl-minor-features/

And my announcement article also has a ton of information: https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-google-pixel-3-xl-specs-features-pricing-availability/

But if you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer them now that the review embargo has been lifted.

uicnren

Jun 19, 2007
Google Nexus 5
Google Pixel 2 XL
Does audio sound '40%' louder, as Google claims? (I know it doesn't, but is the difference appreciable?)

I visited Best Buy to try them out, but the display units are crippled, and have no internet, and no pre-loaded media, so i could not compare anything other than ringtone previews. Of course, those only play out of one speaker, so I couldnt compare at all really.

Zorachus

Dec 15, 2010
Lombard, IL.
Does the 3 XL ship with 9.1 or slightly updated version of Android 9, compared to what current Pixel 2's have ? Dark mode is rumored to be coming in more stock Google apps, like the Phone, the Google Now news feed panel, etc... is that on the Pixel 3 ?

MishaalRahman

Editor in Chief
Nov 2, 2015
www.xda-developers.com
Does audio sound '40%' louder, as Google claims? (I know it doesn't, but is the difference appreciable?)

I visited Best Buy to try them out, but the display units are crippled, and have no internet, and no pre-loaded media, so i could not compare anything other than ringtone previews. Of course, those only play out of one speaker, so I couldnt compare at all really.

I don't know about "40%" louder, but it definitely sounded louder than the Pixel 2 XL.

MishaalRahman

Editor in Chief
Nov 2, 2015
www.xda-developers.com
Does the 3 XL ship with 9.1 or slightly updated version of Android 9, compared to what current Pixel 2's have ? Dark mode is rumored to be coming in more stock Google apps, like the Phone, the Google Now news feed panel, etc... is that on the Pixel 3 ?

It doesn't ship with Android 9.1, but it does run a newer version of Android 9 than what's in AOSP. Fun fact: when you enable "dark theme", the Google Feed (now called Discover) does seem to react to it and turn dark mode on. I believe that's new with Feed.

MishaalRahman

Editor in Chief
Nov 2, 2015
www.xda-developers.com
Hello,

Thanks for the insightful review. So given what you've seen on the pixel 3. What would you want and expect google to execute with the pixel 4?

• I don't see the Pixel 4 getting rid of the notch, but I do want to see the bottom bezel mostly eliminated.
  • Faster wireless charging. Google came out the gate with a 10W wireless charger in the same week that Razer came out with a 15W one and Huawei is coming out with a 15W one also tomorrow.
  • Can't speak about battery life yet, but more mAhs can't hurt.
  • 4GBs of RAM is starting to show its age, especially for anyone who plays mobile games. 6GBs of RAM would be a nice bump.

slayerming2

Oct 15, 2018
  • I don't see the Pixel 4 getting rid of the notch, but I do want to see the bottom bezel mostly eliminated.
  • Faster wireless charging. Google came out the gate with a 10W wireless charger in the same week that Razer came out with a 15W one and Huawei is coming out with a 15W one also tomorrow.
  • Can't speak about battery life yet, but more mAhs can't hurt.
  • 4GBs of RAM is starting to show its age, especially for anyone who plays mobile games. 6GBs of RAM would be a nice bump.

Okay got it thanks! Just curious, does the pixel 2 xl case fit on the pixel 3 xl?

bsg411

Nov 23, 2007
I don't see the Pixel 4 getting rid of the notch, but I do want to see the bottom bezel mostly eliminated.
Faster wireless charging. Google came out the gate with a 10W wireless charger in the same week that Razer came out with a 15W one and Huawei is coming out with a 15W one also tomorrow.
Can't speak about battery life yet, but more mAhs can't hurt.
4GBs of RAM is starting to show its age, especially for anyone who plays mobile games. 6GBs of RAM would be a nice bump.

More mAh?? How about at least not going backwards and decreasing the battery capacity. Also 6 gb of RAM is mandatory next phone.

MishaalRahman

Editor in Chief
Nov 2, 2015
www.xda-developers.com
What do u think about the scatches on back issue? Is it really an issue or people have blown ot out of proportion?

Nobody has used it long enough to say if it's really an issue. I baby my devices so it's less likely to happen to me, but we'll find out once it's in the hands of the general public.

Okay got it thanks! Just curious, does the pixel 2 xl case fit on the pixel 3 xl?

Yes, my Pixel 2 XL's Fabric Case does fit on my Pixel 3 XL. However, the volume rocker is a bit loose. Also, the position of the top microphone is different on the Pixel 3 XL and Pixel 2 XL, so you'll be blocking out one of the 3 microphones by using a Pixel 2 XL case on a Pixel 3 XL.

See the diagrams here: https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7157629?vid=0-906551887502-1539656529603

Have you rooted it?

I'm waiting until factory images are available before I attempt to root it.

Reactions: ROMAD27

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

I'm the Editor-in-Chief of the XDA Portal. I received the Pixel 3 XL in Just Black for review from Google. I also have the Pixel Stand and Pixel USB-C Earbuds.

I posted part 1 of my review here: https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-xl-camera-software-design-pixel-stand/

Have posted a ton of little tidbits of information here: https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-google-pixel-3-xl-minor-features/

And my announcement article also has a ton of information: https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-google-pixel-3-xl-specs-features-pricing-availability/

But if you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer them now that the review embargo has been lifted.
    How long does it take to fully charge the Pixel 3 Xl using the the stand ?

I've only tested one full charge cycle with the Pixel Stand, but it took about 2 hours and 37 minutes to go from 5% to 100% battery. About 59 minutes to go from 5% to 50%.
    How is the vibration strength compared vs Pixel XL (original) or OnePlus 5T?
    I went with OnePlus 5T instead of upgrading from XL to XL 2 and it's got very weak vibration, to the point I dont' even notice the phone vibrate in my pocket.

It's a really good motor and supports a lot of fine vibrations. Some have said it's the best haptic engine for Android devices, second to the iPhone.

Thanks MishaalRahman for the memory usage screenshot!

Just curious, does the camera app support manual camera controls now, and if not, do other camera software that does support manual controls, specifically extended shutter times i.e 2 - 10 seconds work on the Pixel 3 XL?

I recommend Moment Pro Camera for manual controls. It even supports the PVC.

I will be a little more specific: What is your experience with all the additional features, in real life? Are they useful, and do they work well -- or is this just a gimmick?

Thanks!

Well, your phone basically becomes a hybrid of a Home Mini and Home Hub in that it supports Assistant voice controls but also supports visual responses, though not as neatly as the Home Hub. Depending on where you work and how often you use Assistant, you might find it useful to have by your side. For me, I'm always near a Home Mini so I don't see myself calling out to my phone lol.

To touch on this. Can they be turned off. With the free offer it'll be nice to have it but for charging overnight on my night stand. Those features would be distractions to sleep

Yeah, they're all optional.

Is the video sound recording bad again?

It's not "bad" but it's not as good as the iPhone, yet. Perhaps an update will bring some improvements.
    For info, wireless charging coil is on battery just under the fingerprint (sorry basically in the middle between the bottom of the device and the fingerprint). Thanks ifixit :)

Anyways, got my answer : magnet car supports are NO GO.

Sent from my OnePlus5 using XDA Labs
    Can I trouble you to screen shot the "Running Services" screen to show how much memory System and Apps are using?

I'm really keen on the Pixel 3 XL, but the 4GB RAM is a bummer. Having said that, if the System isn't using significantly more than the 1.1 GB that it's using on my Nexus 6P, i'd probably still consider it since I don't game.

Also is it confirmed that the CPU has been underclocked versus other SD 845 devices as reported on GSMArena?

Thanks! :D

Here's the memory page.

And CPU frequencies go up to 2.8GHz per apps like CPU-Z and DevCheck, so it doesn't seem underclocked. The reviewer's guide does state that the maximum frequency is 2.5GHz, though, so I'm not sure why there's a discrepancy.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone