[ASK] Rooting Redmi 6a without TWRP / using Magisk Boot Image Patching

Search This thread

adista

Apr 7, 2015
Surabaya
I was read https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html. That link describe how to install Magisk in our device in few ways. I was interested "Boot Image Patching" section that tell us about rooting device without TWRP.

Before this, I have 5 redmi devices and 3 of it were rooted-well via TWRP. 1 bricked (totally bricked) :laugh: and 1 still un-rooted (Redmi 6A-cactus).

My spec of Redmi 6A are:
  • Security Level Patch: 2019-03-01
  • MIUI Version: Global Stable 10.2.8.0 (oCBMIXM)
  • Unlocked: False (i know that i should unlocked it later, i still waiting my 360 hours :D)
  • RAM: 2GB
  • Storage: 16GB

Since i found that link, i still wondering and keep searching about: "is anybody succesfull root their device (especially Redmi 6A with same spec above) with "Boot Image Patching" way?

if any, please let me know. i just want to hear their review and (of course) their experience.

thanks ;)

jonaaa

• Feb 9, 2014
    Recife
    Yes, i got it working but i still recommend the TWRP method, but if you're still interested, be careful, don't disable the forceencrypt while patching, you can disable dm-verity but DO NOT disable the forceencrypt or you'll lose IMEI/Baseband.

Anyway, this is the patched_boot.img i've used (extracted from the latest V10.2.8.0.OCBMIXM rom).

https://www80.zippyshare.com/v/2zWEXIcM/file.html

Repeating, i still prefer the TWRP method, be careful.

Reactions: adista

adista

Apr 7, 2015
    Surabaya
    Yes, i got it working but i still recommend the TWRP method, but if you're still interested, be careful, don't disable the forceencrypt while patching, you can disable dm-verity but DO NOT disable the forceencrypt or you'll lose IMEI/Baseband.

Anyway, this is the patched_boot.img i've used (extracted from the latest V10.2.8.0.OCBMIXM rom).

Nice... i'll try that soon when my 360 hours run out..

thanks. ;)

adista

Apr 7, 2015
    Surabaya
    Hi @jonaaa, its me again..

i was success root my 6a with patched_boot.img. but i've got problem when i installing systemless xposed. Xposed Zip successfully installed, but when i tried to install Xposed Manager then reboot, i got stuck in mi logo. i've been trying for 3 times and getting frustrated

now i decided to install twrp and (again) i got stuck in encryption problem. most of google result said that data partition should be formatted and that dont make any sense for me. how could i formatting data partition while that partition is untouchable.

so i wanna ask you: how you get rid from twrp encrypt-decrypt problem?

adista

Apr 7, 2015
    Surabaya
    Hi @jonaaa, its me again..

i was success root my 6a with patched_boot.img. but i've got problem when i installing systemless xposed. Xposed Zip successfully installed, but when i tried to install Xposed Manager then reboot, i got stuck in mi logo. i've been trying for 3 times and getting frustrated

now i decided to install twrp and (again) i got stuck in encryption problem. most of google result said that data partition should be formatted and that dont make any sense for me. how could i formatting data partition while that partition is untouchable.

so i wanna ask you: how you get rid from twrp encrypt-decrypt problem?

Forget it..

My step was wrong. i was ignoring "fastboot format userdata" command in first and install twrp directly...

thanks for your suggestion ;) :good:

ahhl

Jul 23, 2007
    Forget it..

My step was wrong. i was ignoring "fastboot format userdata" command in first and install twrp directly...

thanks for your suggestion ;) :good:
    hi
    can share your steps in detail, from beginning to end

Sent from my Redmi 6A using Tapatalk

adista

Apr 7, 2015
    Surabaya
    hi
    can share your steps in detail, from beginning to end

Sent from my Redmi 6A using Tapatalk

i dont recommend to use my step, because right now i even dont have twrp in my redmi 6a. In other word, im failed.

1. UBL
    2. Enabling Developer Option
    3. Entry Fastboot mode
    4. fastboot devices (to check it's connected well with pc)
    5. fastboot format userdata
    6. fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.3.0.0.img
    7. fastboot boot twrp-3.3.0.0.img
    For a while, i was able to entry twrp without any password asked and installing magisk (magisk-19.0.zip) smoothly.
    But, when i rebooting, i've got stuck at mi logo (i've been wait more than 40 minutes and still at mi logo). When i tried to Volume Up + Power, just nothing happened but back to mi logo and stuck again (and more 40 minutes :rolleyes::silly::eek:).

and finally i did install fastboot-rom from scratch... :laugh::laugh: and since that, twrp wont installed on my redmi even i flash fastboot-rom again and again. Till now i still wondering why and not found the answer yet.:confused:

jonaaa

• Feb 9, 2014
    Recife
    i dont recommend to use my step, because right now i even dont have twrp in my redmi 6a. In other word, im failed.

1. UBL
    2. Enabling Developer Option
    3. Entry Fastboot mode
    4. fastboot devices (to check it's connected well with pc)
    5. fastboot format userdata
    6. fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.3.0.0.img
    7. fastboot boot twrp-3.3.0.0.img
    For a while, i was able to entry twrp without any password asked and installing magisk (magisk-19.0.zip) smoothly.
    But, when i rebooting, i've got stuck at mi logo (i've been wait more than 40 minutes and still at mi logo). When i tried to Volume Up + Power, just nothing happened but back to mi logo and stuck again (and more 40 minutes :rolleyes::silly::eek:).

and finally i did install fastboot-rom from scratch... :laugh::laugh: and since that, twrp wont installed on my redmi even i flash fastboot-rom again and again. Till now i still wondering why and not found the answer yet.:confused:

Use the TWRP-1020 instead, it works much better.

whothehellami

Jun 15, 2017

My IMEI/Baseband are gone, when I install xposed framework and reboot it's stuck in MI logo, and I tried factory reset from my original MI recovery, it's fix the bootloop but my IMEI/Baseband are gone.... Do you know how to fix it? I spend my time searching to fix it and no result. And I tried flash stock ROM too and no result. Hope you know how fix my issue, thanks!!

jonaaa

• Feb 9, 2014
    Recife
    My IMEI/Baseband are gone, when I install xposed framework and reboot it's stuck in MI logo, and I tried factory reset from my original MI recovery, it's fix the bootloop but my IMEI/Baseband are gone.... Do you know how to fix it? I spend my time searching to fix it and no result. And I tried flash stock ROM too and no result. Hope you know how fix my issue, thanks!!

Someone said to encrypt the data on settings, i don't know how though, if you fix it, next time, don't disable the forceencrypt.

ahhl

Jul 23, 2007
    i was looking around on how to flash twrp but theres no clear guide on how to do it. i keep noticing people said dont disable verity, they didn't mentioned where and when not to disable it.

because after we flash twrp, we boot to twrp. then what?

Sent from my vivo 1723 using Tapatalk

jonaaa

• Feb 9, 2014
    Recife
    i was looking around on how to flash twrp but theres no clear guide on how to do it. i keep noticing people said dont disable verity, they didn't mentioned where and when not to disable it.

because after we flash twrp, we boot to twrp. then what?

Sent from my vivo 1723 using Tapatalk

Uhh... just flash the TWRP and you're done.

The dm-verity removal is necessary if you want to install any GSI.

ahhl

Jul 23, 2007

well i got this issue after flash twrp. after boot and reboot
    i got this annyoing android system error, contact manufacturer for detail.

gusitir

May 6, 2019
    Quito
    I have a similar problem
    I was rooting my redmi 6a and now its bricked
    First i intall the twrp, then i flash the Magisk with DisableEncryption, the first boot work fine, i update the magisk app and the new version isnt compatible with the magisk installed
    Well i repeat the steps and then i lost the signal, in that moment i didnt know it is the IMEI lost, then i try to install Lineage OS 15.1 GSI for Redmi6a cause i think that is the solution
    but the system dont boot, only boot the Xiaomi Tittle with "unlocked" (I unlock the phone before) and then get me to TWRP
    Im only one with this problem?
    I try use the MiFlashTool for flash the stock rom but not work, now im trying with MiFlashTool flash the MIUI9 and MIUI10.2 and other versions

I think, the problem maybe is the Boot.img
    (Sorry for my bad English)

Edit-
    I dont have any backup lol

---------- Post added at 02:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

¿Can you share your correct steps to have the Lineage OS 15.1 in Redmi6A Please? :)

Last edited:

jonaaa

• Feb 9, 2014
    Recife
    well i got this issue after flash twrp. after boot and reboot
    i got this annyoing android system error, contact manufacturer for detail.

This "contact manufacturer" error happens when you disable dm-verity, you can install Magisk without disabling it.

adista

Apr 7, 2015
    Surabaya

Sorry for late post :D

Just make sure that you flash Fastboot ROM, not just STOCK ROM. I did that last time when my IMEI/Baseband are gone. Of course it will wipe all of your data. Just be prepare for it.. :laugh:

adista

Apr 7, 2015
    Surabaya
    Can you post questions in the questions and answers section next time?

Ups sorry.. i didnt notice that is exists :silly:

No, it wasnt like that :laugh:,, actually i did confused where should i put this question, because in Question & Answers (for me) the topic just too general and i was thinking that my question (maybe) still in development because i didnt found that in Question & Answer... :D

All my fault, Sorry again, :) :D

adista

Apr 7, 2015
    Surabaya
    Use the TWRP-1020 instead, it works much better.

that just un-official TWRP, right??

i will try that in this weekend. Last time i remember that i can not boot into twrp. Till now, my devices still unrooted. I flash it back to stock ROM. But, when OTA update notification comes and reboot for installing, it give me bootloop into twrp (not to system), and that's mean my TWRP still inside i just cannot boot into.

so, i'll try that TWRP-1020 this weekend. Thanks. ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

that just un-official TWRP, right??

i will try that in this weekend. Last time i remember that i can not boot into twrp. Till now, my devices still unrooted. I flash it back to stock ROM. But, when OTA update notification comes and reboot for installing, it give me bootloop into twrp (not to system), and that's mean my TWRP still inside i just cannot boot into.

so, i'll try that TWRP-1020 this weekend. Thanks. ;)

Yes, the unofficial works better.

About OTA, you should download the OTAs from here instead of MIUI Updater, MIUI Updater only works with Stock Recovery.
      Yes, the unofficial works better.

About OTA, you should download the OTAs from here instead of MIUI Updater, MIUI Updater only works with Stock Recovery.

Nice..

Downloading ... ... ...

But wait, "MIUI Updater only works with Stock Recovery", is that mean that this doesnt support even i install from twrp? :confused:
      Hi guys.
      I have a redmi 6a with miui 10.3.2.0 and I juat wanna root my device. What's the best way to do this? I don't wanna install any custom Roms and just wanna use root for installing HD games on SdCard...so that I don't wanna install any Xposed frameworks too!
      Is there any way to Have root permissions without losing Imei?? With or without Twrp... I just don't wanna lose imei!
      And i can unlock my bootloader in 49 more hours...then I can install and do everything.
      Thanks guys