• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Assertive display, improve adaptive brightness and battery life

Search This thread

fedef12evo

Jul 21, 2013
Modica
Hello i extracted this tweaks from xperia z3 ROM and it seems to be working,I went from 5 hours Sot to 6+ hours Sot add them to bottom of build.prop, and put the file in system/etc with 644 permission then reboot

# Assertive Display
ro.qcom.ad=1
ro.qcom.ad.calib.data=/system/etc/ad_calib.cfg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6bevwk4awi38w2/ad_calib.cfg?dl=0

thanks to berndt_toast we have a flashable zip!

use adaptive brightness to get maximum potential battery save!
Lot of people tried this mod and told me that adaptive brightness works better and faster with assertive display, also in direct sunlight display is more visible

Attachments

• AssertiveDisplay.zip
    133.3 KB · Views: 6,978
Last edited:

an21281

Hello i extracted this tweaks from xperia z3 ROM and it seems to be working,I went from 5 hours Sot to 6+ hours Sot add them to bottom of build.prop, and put the file in system/etc with 644 permission then reboot

# Assertive Display
ro.qcom.ad=1

# Modem power save enabled
persist.radio.add_power_save=1

# Limit Modem signaling to save power
persist.radio.data_no_toggle=1

So we're supposed to add this to the bottom of our build.prop file(which is in system) and then put it in system/etc. Does that mean we should keep our original file in system and also have this one in system/etc?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

berndt_toast

Mar 16, 2011
So we're supposed to add this to the bottom of our build.prop file(which is in system) and then put it in system/etc. Does that mean we should keep our original file in system and also have this one in system/etc?

I beleive he means, add the tweaks to build.prop as normal in /system and then add the downloaded file from the dropbox link to /system/etc and change permissions.

Reactions: zute333

erk1725

Oct 24, 2013
Lancaster, PA
Thanks for this! Im always down for ways to save more juice! I just installed everything following the OP instructions and rebooted....phone is up and running! Everything seems ok so far.....have to give it some time to see if battery is any different

Thanks again:good:

Edit: Phone "feels" a lot faster for some reason....haven't changed any other settings in probably about a week??

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reactions: stas333
Aug 27, 2011
After half a day I'm going to have to say I'm convinced. I usually only make it to 3.5-4 hours of sot and I'm over 4.25 hours and still have 30% battery left. This is encrypted on M preview 3.

pavik62

Apr 20, 2011
Volgograd
4pda.ru

# Assertive Display
ro.qcom.ad=1

Add in the first post. Install through recovery. The script itself will prescribe the appropriate lines in the build.prop and set ad_calib.cfg

Attachments

• ad_calib.zip
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,740

mumboender

Jun 18, 2007
Simi Valley, CA
OnePlus One
OnePlus 3
I have no idea what this does.... But I'm a believer. I usually take my phone off the charger at 6am and have to charge early afternoon with around 3 hours screen on... Applying this last night I'm still at 43% at 730 pm and over 4 hours screen on time. I never got over 4 before. Now I also applied a black theme so that may be helping but this is much better than before.

26.2man

Aug 12, 2010
Forest Hill MD
I have no idea what this does.... But I'm a believer. I usually take my phone off the charger at 6am and have to charge early afternoon with around 3 hours screen on... Applying this last night I'm still at 43% at 730 pm and over 4 hours screen on time. I never got over 4 before. Now I also applied a black theme so that may be helping but this is much better than before.
Did you just flash the zip file or something additional.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

# Assertive Display
    ro.qcom.ad=1

thanks to berndt_toast we have a flashable zip!

use adaptive brightness to get maximum potential battery save!
    Lot of people tried this mod and told me that adaptive brightness works better and faster with assertive display, also in direct sunlight display is more visible

# Assertive Display
    ro.qcom.ad=1

Add in the first post. Install through recovery. The script itself will prescribe the appropriate lines in the build.prop and set ad_calib.cfg
    Attached is a modified zip with only the Assertive Display build.prop change.
    # Assertive Display
    ro.qcom.ad=1

These tweaks spawned some questions. Like everything else in life, nothing is free. Performance/responsiveness are usually opposing features to battery life. By enabling modem power save and limit modem signaling, are we reducing cellular performance? In other words, in good/stable coverage areas, maybe things will work fine, but in a fringe area, might these tweaks cause the phone to lose signal more often? For Project Fi users, where the phone is supposed to monitor service quality and switch to an alternative carrier, might these tweaks throw a wrench into the logic?

On the Assertive Display, I found the following:
    http://www.apical.co.uk/assertive/display/

It would appear that Nokia, Samsung and [maybe] Sony all have some models that use this technology, but I cannot find any evidence that Motorola/N6 uses Assertive Display. This means that this mod may have no effect on the N6.

There is currently no ad_calib.cfg file in system/etc, which suggests that this feature, if exists, was not implemented. If the values inside the .cfg file can reduce the brightness (thereby saving power) and improve contrast, why wouldn't Moto/Google implement it by default?

All of the above is conjecture. I am interested in understanding the implications of the modem power tweaks--what am I giving up?

I am appreciative of OP sharing this information. We NEED people finding ways to improve battery life and sharing them with the community. At the same time, I want to know to a greater depth what I am doing to my phone.
    is it only for qualcomm devices?
    Yes! Only Qualcomm...
    Is it possible to make it work properly with newer version on n6? If so can you provide a guide or files to do so?

Sure.

Since Sony use 1080p non Amoled Screens there is a big diffrence in Config.
    One of them is the resolution. It's set Default to 720/1080p but We need 1440p.

There are a lot of other things that need to be changed in order to take a effect on Amoled Screens. But i can't remeber Now... So i've Uploaded my AD Config file in Version 1.3 for You guys. There are some really big changes between V1 and V1.3 thanks to Sony, APICAL and Qualcomm!

You can Play with the Values in the Config to get diffrent results. But Test by Yourself.
    In my Opinion should things like that always included in any Android ROM for Qualcomm devices. But people doesn't care or know about things like that. Thats really a shame... There are a lot of Awesome Qualcomm only Tweaks out there!

Here is just a Link to my AD Config in V1.3. You should replace it with the one from the first Post: https://goo.gl/qpR6kc

BR and Enjoy:highfive:

Edit: if you have problems with this config in your ROM just change your ROM or disbale one of the best Parts by making this:
    # power_saving_coeff
    # power_saving_coeff

Edit2: Btw. Qualcomm Tweaks. If there is any interrest, i can share more Qualcomm specific Tweaks that You don't have ever Seen...
    It's just Awesome! Qualcomm Snapdragon! FTW!