• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

AstroGPSLauncher - Launch Tomtom/iGuidance/Other

Search This thread

AstronusX

Jul 14, 2006
First I would like to say thanks to Shadowmite and Baffles for their idea of GPS Launcher. Shadowmite's GPSLauncher and Baffles' GPS Launcher are great gps launcher but aren't suite my need so I decided to write one myself.

Shadowmite's GPSLauncher is nice and compact but more work, I need to launch the application and click the 'Tomtom' to launch it (2 step). I like Baffles' idea when click on it and launch immediately but unfortunately it use .NET use lot of RAM.

I have issue on both application for tomtom is that when turn off the screen or someone call in, gps connection get lost and re-click it to open up the gps port for tomtom.

This AstroGPSLauncher open the gps port and launch 'gps application'. AstroGPSLauncher will close itself upon 'gps application' exit in which won't have issue when someone call in or turn off the phone.

iGuidance has issue with refresh the screen. To get iGuidance work correctly you need to get GPS Gate to redirect com 4 to com 2 and use this launcher to launch iGuidanceQVGA.exe, on iGuidance set to com 2. This way won't have map refresh issue.

--How to use this AstroGPSLauncher ---
--Copy AstroGPSLauncher to your Main Memory
\AstroGPSLauncher\AstroGPSLauncher.exe
(YOu can copy AstroGPSLauncher to SD Card but you need to change the path inside the shortcut if you use)

This launcher launch gps application through parameter(if you know what I meant) . I have provide two shortcuts 'Tomtom Launcher' which and 'iGuidance Launcher' for your need(Make sure you install tomtom app or iGuidance to main memory which you should). If you install on different location, you need to use notepad and edit the shortcut to correct gps application and icon or you can use 'SK Shortcut Manager' to create a short that point to your launcher.

SK Shortcut Manager - New Short cut Instruction
Name = you provide
Command = select AstroGPSLauncher
Parameters = select your gps application
and set icon to your gps application.

BTW, this application only take 2k of RAM (very small) and 10k for disk memory. It much less memory usage than Shadowmite's GPSLauncher and Baffles' GPS Launcher

If you like this application, please give some comments.

Thanks to shadowmite cab the file.

Attachments

• AstroGPSLauncher.cab
    11.6 KB · Views: 11,462
Last edited:

AstronusX

Jul 14, 2006
For people have problem to get AstroGPSLauncer to work
Please use 'SK Shortcut Manager to create a shortcut for you and simplify your process

Sk Shortcut Manager can be download here http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/S...-Applications/SK-Shortcut-Manager-18241.shtml

[SK Shortcut Manager]
Create new Shortcut
Name = you provide
Command = select AstroGPSLauncher
Parameters = select your gps application
and set icon to your gps application.

YOu can uninstall SK Shortcut Manager after done create a shortcut for your GPS

If you use iGuidance, you can use TalynOne 'iGuidanceInternalGPSLauncher.mscr', with GPSGate to get one step launch solution
Read this thread for more detail.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=363431

Last edited:

TalynOne

Jun 25, 2007
Awesome! Thanks AstronusX, will be testing this soon. I updated my FAQ with info about your app.

Edit: Just tested it, I first had to change the IGuidance shortcut to point to my storage card, as you described. I tested both TomTom and IGuidance and they work as advertised. I also tested running TomTom, turning off my Mogul, waiting 30 seconds, and turning it back on, and TomTom reacquired the GPS within 10 seconds. Awesome, thanks again AstronusX!

Last edited:

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
What are the chances of adding auto-launch/auto-kill of GPSGate to this app? That would be the end-all-be-all launcher for iGuidance.

TalynOne

Jun 25, 2007
I created an iGuidance one tap autolauncher. If GpsGate is not running, it starts it. The script then stores your device's current Power timeout, and backlight timeout and brightness settings. Then sets your device for no timeouts for power and backlight, and sets your backlight to maximum brightness. It then sets iGuidance to skip the startup warning dialog, before launching iGuidance through AstroGPSLauncher. Once you exit iGuidance the script will restore your previous backlight/power settings. The only thing not working in the script right now is that it doesn't terminate GpsGate on exit if the script started GpsGate. I have not found a reliable way to close GpsGate. All current methods I've tried of closing/terminating GpsGate leave an unresponsive icon in the tray of the Today screen.

For those who are interested, I've made a copy of this script available for download HERE. Instructions on how to install/use the script are in the included "iGuidanceInternalGPSLauncher.mscr" Mortscript file.

friguy33

Mar 9, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
can we just dumb this down to my level for a sec lol...for my iguidance...

iGuidance has issue with refresh the screen. To get iGuidance work correctly you need to get GPS Gate to redirect com 4 to com 2 and use this launcher to launch iGuidanceQVGA.exe, on iGuidance set to com 2. This way won't have map refresh issue.

huh? i installed astrogpslauncher and changed the shortcut to open my iguidance on my sd card...it all opens, but whats with the redirect port? how would i do this? thanks! this is gonna make me sooooooooooo happy

AstronusX

Jul 14, 2006

huh? i installed astrogpslauncher and changed the shortcut to open my iguidance on my sd card...it all opens, but whats with the redirect port? how would i do this? thanks! this is gonna make me sooooooooooo happy

You need to install GPSGAte software or GPSProxy to redirect the port to com2 and use AstroGPSLauncher shortcuts to launch it.

Is there a way we can add run this launcher from the HTC home ? How would I get this launcher into the program shortcuts? thanks
- Yes you can, just copy the shortcut to \Windows\Start Menu\Programs and you can select from HTC Home selection

ok i have igo instlled on main memory can some one plz tell me what to edit the shortcut to? and were do i put the gps launcher and shortcut plz?

-- For iGo to work you also need to redirect your port as well, use GPSGate or GPSProxy to redirect your port to com2. After that, use 'Notepad' and open one of the short cut(eg. Tomtom Navigator Launcher) and change Tomtom Path to iGo Path and copy ur new shortcut to to \Windows\Start Menu\Programs and launch it from there (make sure you have gpsgate setup and it is running).
--Note: You can find 'Tomtom Navigator Launcher' shortcut in my zip file.

To create shortcut, you can use SK ShortCut Manager to make it simple and you can change icon as well.

Last edited:

1999TL

Jul 28, 2007
Washington D.C.
Yah, I figured out the shortcut last night. This program ROCKS! THank you so much. I find a signal in 10 secs. With my bluetooth receiver, sometimes the damn thing wouldn't even connect. THANKS!!

I love this damn phone. Iphone killer

TalynOne

Jun 25, 2007

More detailed instructions on how to setup GpsGate and iGuidance are here:

friguy33

Mar 9, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
So i got it working with iguidance, kinda annoying though. The GpsGate (which is not free, any free alternatives?) puts an icon on the today screen, so i run gpsgate then iguidance, what is the benefit of running the AstroGPSLauncher instead of just running iGuidance itself? iGuidnace was a little "choppy" when i drove to work today. might try tomtom (no TTS) sadly and see if its better.

TalynOne

Jun 25, 2007
So i got it working with iguidance, kinda annoying though. The GpsGate (which is not free, any free alternatives?) puts an icon on the today screen, so i run gpsgate then iguidance, what is the benefit of running the AstroGPSLauncher instead of just running iGuidance itself? iGuidnace was a little "choppy" when i drove to work today. might try tomtom (no TTS) sadly and see if its better.

Try my MortScript, it automates the AstroGPSLauncher, GpsGate launch process, it also turns off the backlight timeout while iGuidance is running, and skips the warning screen for you.

Without the AstroGPSLauncher iGuidance will not see the GPS at all, unless you ran another program that started the GPS for you, AstroGPSLauncher starts your GPS radio for you, and keeps it alive.

Also check my FAQ for a link to a free GpsGate alternative, though I haven't tested to see if it works.

friguy33

Mar 9, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I tried your mortscript but wasnt working...put the shortcut in the program folder, installed mortscript but when i try and run it says script/programs/GPSLauncher/iGuidanceinternalGPSLa (its then cut off) not found. waiting for existance. storage card not initialized?

iGuidance is on my storage card obviously but its all working other wise...how do i fix this? thanks...new to mort script so i apologize if this is basic crap...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    re SHIdleTimerReset

Thanks, Astro! I've cleaned up the code a little bit and added the timer call. Now WinMain looks something like this. Haven't run it yet, but I think it should work: (The WaitForSingleObject change is the only change of substance here.)

int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance,
    HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
    LPTSTR lpCmdLine,
    int nCmdShow)
    {
    STARTUPINFO si;
    PROCESS_INFORMATION pi;
    const int STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW = 0x00000001;
    const uint NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS = 0x0020;
    DWORD dwCode = 0;
    ZeroMemory ( &si, sizeof ( STARTUPINFO));
    si.cb = sizeof ( STARTUPINFO);
    si.dwFlags = STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW;
    si.wShowWindow = SW_SHOWNORMAL;

if(CreateProcess( lpCmdLine, L"", NULL, NULL, FALSE, NULL, NULL,
    NULL , &si, &pi))
    {
    HRESULT hr = E_FAIL;

CGPSSink *pGPSSink = NULL;
    CGPSController *pGPSController = NULL;

#ifndef WIN32_PLATFORM_WFSP
    HACCEL hAccelTable;
    hAccelTable = LoadAccelerators(hInstance, MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDC_MOBILEGPS));
    #endif // !WIN32_PLATFORM_WFSP

// Both CGPSSink and CGPSController instance are dynamically allocated
    // so that they can be shared with the worker thread
    pGPSSink = new CGPSSink();
    if (NULL == pGPSSink)
    {
    goto Exit;
    }
    pGPSController = new CGPSController();
    if (NULL == pGPSController)
    {
    goto Exit;
    }

hr = pGPSController->InitDevice(pGPSSink);
    if (FAILED(hr))
    {
    goto Exit;
    }

while (WaitForSingleObject(pi.hProcess, 50000) == WAIT_TIMEOUT)
    {
    // prevent the device from entering locked state
    ::SHIdleTimerReset();
    }

CloseHandle(pi.hThread);
    CloseHandle(pi.hProcess);
    Exit:
    if (NULL != pGPSController)
    {
    pGPSController->UninitDevice();
    }

// It is ok to call delete on a NULL pointer