• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General Asus camera update vs GCam

Search This thread

Tom100%

Jul 10, 2021
The recent Asus system update includes improvements to the stock camera’s picture quality, so I did a quick test to see if I could spot any obvious difference when compared to the GCam (Wichita 1.4) that’s also on my Zenfone 8.

In my previous tests I found pictures from the Asus camera to be over sharpened. This makes foliage look good on a small screen but when viewed large the pictures have an overall processed look. This is something I’m aware of since I’ve made largish prints (50 x 70cm) from some of my previous smartphone shots.

Unfortunately I didn’t spot any improvement that the latest update has made as they are still aggressively sharpened.

GCam pictures have the opposite problem and look too soft when enlarged. So in this test I’ve altered the sharpness: Settings > Advanced > Ram Patcher > Sharpness > 1.500.

The GCam Jpegs are also consistently too dark. I tried to alter the brightness using Settings > Advanced > Ram Patcher > HDR Overall Lightness, but this just blew out the highlights and negated the HDR effect. I’ll have to experiment with some of the other HDR settings to see if I can lighten just the shadows and midtones. I lightened the Jpeg in Photoshop for this comparison.

It’s also possible to shoot a Raw+Jpeg with the GCam. Raw files look flat and greyish straight from the camera but when post processed they give a slightly cleaner and sharper result. They are only16MP rather than the full 64MP the camera is capable of, so hopefully Wichaya will alter this in future mods.

The GCam still gives better picture quality compared with the Asus, but the bright and punchy look of the Asus shots is very good too. If you are into photography and want to get the most from the Zenfone 8 then it’s worth trying the GCam and fine tuning it to suit your needs. The examples below are cropped from the central area of the picture.

If a developer brings out a mod of the Asus camera that allows adjustments to sharpness and brightness, etc, I’d certainly be interested, especially if it could also shoot 64MP Raw.

Attachments

• Asus Camera Jpeg.jpg
    Asus Camera Jpeg.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 248
  • GCam Raw, processed.jpg
    GCam Raw, processed.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 247
  • GCam Jpeg, brightened.jpg
    GCam Jpeg, brightened.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 250

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The recent Asus system update includes improvements to the stock camera’s picture quality, so I did a quick test to see if I could spot any obvious difference when compared to the GCam (Wichita 1.4) that’s also on my Zenfone 8.

In my previous tests I found pictures from the Asus camera to be over sharpened. This makes foliage look good on a small screen but when viewed large the pictures have an overall processed look. This is something I’m aware of since I’ve made largish prints (50 x 70cm) from some of my previous smartphone shots.

Unfortunately I didn’t spot any improvement that the latest update has made as they are still aggressively sharpened.

GCam pictures have the opposite problem and look too soft when enlarged. So in this test I’ve altered the sharpness: Settings > Advanced > Ram Patcher > Sharpness > 1.500.

The GCam Jpegs are also consistently too dark. I tried to alter the brightness using Settings > Advanced > Ram Patcher > HDR Overall Lightness, but this just blew out the highlights and negated the HDR effect. I’ll have to experiment with some of the other HDR settings to see if I can lighten just the shadows and midtones. I lightened the Jpeg in Photoshop for this comparison.

It’s also possible to shoot a Raw+Jpeg with the GCam. Raw files look flat and greyish straight from the camera but when post processed they give a slightly cleaner and sharper result. They are only16MP rather than the full 64MP the camera is capable of, so hopefully Wichaya will alter this in future mods.

The GCam still gives better picture quality compared with the Asus, but the bright and punchy look of the Asus shots is very good too. If you are into photography and want to get the most from the Zenfone 8 then it’s worth trying the GCam and fine tuning it to suit your needs. The examples below are cropped from the central area of the picture.

If a developer brings out a mod of the Asus camera that allows adjustments to sharpness and brightness, etc, I’d certainly be interested, especially if it could also shoot 64MP Raw.