ASUS ME176C/CX- Unlock Bootloader & Install TWRP

Search This thread

jerbear294

Recognized Contributor
Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
Please note: the information in this thread is out of date. I recommend installing me176c-boot instead, found in https://forum.xda-developers.com/me...tloader-me176c-boot-asus-memo-pad-7-t3780225.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT responsible for anything that goes wrong with your device. This tablet's very resilient and theoretically unbrickable, but it can still happen.

@social-design-concepts is working on a bootloader "unlock" for all Intel Bay Trail devices running Lollipop. It's working fine on our tablet, so he's given me permission to release the unlock for this device, as well as a TWRP image.

Download the images from here:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=312978532265362065
UPDATED! TWRP is now version 3.0.2!

MAKE A BACKUP OF ESP AND RECOVERY IN CASE ANYTHING GOES WRONG. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

These images aren't in a Nandroid or anything, you'll have to flash them manually via dd.

REQUIREMENTS
ASUS ME176C or ASUS ME176CX with root (duh :p)

and either-
Terminal Emulator must be installed on the tablet, and given root access
or
Access to a computer w/ ADB installed

INSTALLATION
Download the linked file from above, then unzip them to somewhere on your tablet. This directory will be noted as /path/to/unzipped/zip in this tutorial.

Open up a command prompt and plug in your tablet (if you're on PC) or just launch Terminal Emulator on your tablet.

This first command can be skipped if you're installing this without a computer, but if you're using ADB, then first run
Code:
adb shell

The next steps are universal for both Terminal Emulator and the PC command prompt or terminal.
While we could use tethered TWRP to back up these partitions, it cannot properly back up the ESP, so we'll be backing up the partitions manually. To do so, run the following to get root permission and back up the original recovery and ESP.
Code:
su
dd if=/dev/block/by-name/ESP of=/path/to/unzipped/zip/stock_ESP.img
dd if=/dev/block/by-name/recovery of=/path/to/unzipped/zip/stock_recovery.img

Then, to install:
Code:
dd if=/path/to/unzipped/zip/ESP.img of=/dev/block/by-name/ESP
dd if=/path/to/unzipped/zip/recovery.img of=/dev/block/by-name/recovery

Finally, reboot the tablet to make sure it worked. The ASUS screen should be replaced with an Intel one.

Volume Down + Power will give you an option of either fastboot or recovery, instead of just booting to fastboot like the stock bootloader.

Last edited:

Mis012

Aug 31, 2014
do we still get otas? what happends if the ota contains a uefi update will it become locked again?

Becouse the firmware update is for unknown reason always included in the esp.img, then the answer is yes no matter how unlogical it is.

P.S anybody still having 16GB whole emmc dd backup? Some guy from my country who doesn't speak English contacted me on PM, he tried to run some KK to LP update from 4pda.ru while already on lollipop. Now he is stuck in Aptio Setup Utlility (lying to him saying it's BIOS :p) and so far this seems to be the only option to help him.

P.P.S I have finaly ordered a Y OTG cable from ebay so next month when I get it I can start debugging my debirf-xkiosk running on kali kernel to find out what's the problem.

*EDIT ilogical maybe?

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Why your tutorial can be in general and mine was moved to Q&A? It's unfair :'(

seamo123

Jun 8, 2012
I got this 'Read only file system' message when I tried the first backup.. this shouldn't be happening, right? Presumably the backup failed?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb shell
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
[email protected]_1:/ $ su
su
[email protected]_1:/ # dd if=/dev/block/by-name/ESP of=/recoverystuff/stock_ESP.img
dd if=/dev/block/by-name/ESP of=/recoverystuff/stock_ESP.img
dd: /recoverystuff/stock_ESP.img: Read-only file system
1|[email protected]_1:/ #

jerbear294

Recognized Contributor
Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
I got this 'Read only file system' message when I tried the first backup.. this shouldn't be happening, right? Presumably the backup failed?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb shell
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
[email protected]_1:/ $ su
su
[email protected]_1:/ # dd if=/dev/block/by-name/ESP of=/recoverystuff/stock_ESP.img
dd if=/dev/block/by-name/ESP of=/recoverystuff/stock_ESP.img
dd: /recoverystuff/stock_ESP.img: Read-only file system
1|[email protected]_1:/ #

Try doing it through Terminal Emulator, see if that helps.

Mis012

Aug 31, 2014
Nah, same result using terminal emulator.. what's wrong I wonder?

Android in it's natire has no real rootfs so writing backup to /customdir/ rather than /sdcard/customdir is not gonnw work. If you "remounted" rootfs rw (not sure if you can remount ramdisk) it would still be all in ram.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Android in it's natire has no real rootfs so writing backup to /customdir/ rather than /sdcard/customdir is not gonnw work. If you "remounted" rootfs rw (not sure if you can remount ramdisk) it would still be all in ram.
I wonder why people use ADB for shell when they don't have to

seamo123

Jun 8, 2012

Oh ok, I'll just move the folder to the sdcard and give it a try..

seamo123

Jun 8, 2012
@Mis012 is right, either move it to a micro SD and make the path /Removable/MicroSD/recoverystuff or put it on the internal storage and make the path /storage/emulated/0/recoverystuff

Seemed to work fine, thanks! Boots up perfectly with the 'Intel' image. How does one get into recovery though? The volume up/down press/let go power button shenanigans for this pad always drove me totally up the wall. Anytime I ever got into stock recovery it was always by accident! ;)
What's the key combo?

jerbear294

Recognized Contributor
Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
Seemed to work fine, thanks! Boots up perfectly with the 'Intel' image. How does one get into recovery though? The volume up/down press/let go power button shenanigans for this pad always drove me totally up the wall. Anytime I ever got into stock recovery it was always by accident! ;)
What's the key combo?

Volume Down + Power, just like on the stock bootloader.

When you see the Intel screen release Power but keep holding Volume Down. You'll see a screen with a generic warning, then options to go to either fastboot or recovery.

Reactions: seamo123

Ruben Craveiro

Feb 18, 2015
Lisboa
Becouse the firmware update is for unknown reason always included in the esp.img, then the answer is yes no matter how unlogical it is.

P.S anybody still having 16GB whole emmc dd backup? Some guy from my country who doesn't speak English contacted me on PM, he tried to run some KK to LP update from 4pda.ru while already on lollipop. Now he is stuck in Aptio Setup Utlility (lying to him saying it's BIOS :p) and so far this seems to be the only option to help him.

P.P.S I have finaly ordered a Y OTG cable from ebay so next month when I get it I can start debugging my debirf-xkiosk running on kali kernel to find out what's the problem.

*EDIT ilogical maybe?

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Why your tutorial can be in general and mine was moved to Q&A? It's unfair :'(

why just not simply go to dnx mode? then from there make fastboot flash osloader efilinux.efi and then fastboot boot droidboot.img from there it should boot to droidboot and allow to load temp recovery and flash .36(ive already been stuck in uefi for at least 2 times and this method helped me... yesterday i was stuck and its working again)

seamo123

Jun 8, 2012
Volume Down + Power, just like on the stock bootloader.

When you see the Intel screen release Power but keep holding Volume Down. You'll see a screen with a generic warning, then options to go to either fastboot or recovery.
That's great, thanks! So does this mean that we're all ready to install a custom ROM when one comes along? Running CM or AOSP on this device would be brilliant, I can finally forget all about that piercing white ASUS ui for a start :)

Last edited:

Mis012

Aug 31, 2014
why just not simply go to dnx mode? then from there make fastboot flash osloader efilinux.efi and then fastboot boot droidboot.img from there it should boot to droidboot and allow to load temp recovery and flash .36(ive already been stuck in uefi for at least 2 times and this method helped me... yesterday i was stuck and its working again)

He tried, it complained about some partitions not existing.

social-design-concepts

Aug 30, 2012
Cincinnati
He tried, it complained about some partitions not existing.

he needs to repartition the tablet :

Code:
fastboot oem start_partitioning
fastboot oem partition /system/etc/partition.tbl
fastboot oem format factory
fastboot oem format cache
fastboot oem format system
fastboot oem format config
fastboot oem format logs
fastboot oem format misc
fastboot oem format data
fastboot oem stop_partitioning

intNERD

Oct 31, 2012
Does it work with Build .36?

Hello,

i updated my me176c to the build number WW_V12.10.1.36_20151230 can i use your unlocked bootloader ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please note: the information in this thread is out of date. I recommend installing me176c-boot instead, found in https://forum.xda-developers.com/me...tloader-me176c-boot-asus-memo-pad-7-t3780225.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT responsible for anything that goes wrong with your device. This tablet's very resilient and theoretically unbrickable, but it can still happen.

@social-design-concepts is working on a bootloader "unlock" for all Intel Bay Trail devices running Lollipop. It's working fine on our tablet, so he's given me permission to release the unlock for this device, as well as a TWRP image.

Download the images from here:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=312978532265362065
    UPDATED! TWRP is now version 3.0.2!

MAKE A BACKUP OF ESP AND RECOVERY IN CASE ANYTHING GOES WRONG. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

These images aren't in a Nandroid or anything, you'll have to flash them manually via dd.

REQUIREMENTS
    ASUS ME176C or ASUS ME176CX with root (duh :p)

and either-
    Terminal Emulator must be installed on the tablet, and given root access
    or
    Access to a computer w/ ADB installed

INSTALLATION
    Download the linked file from above, then unzip them to somewhere on your tablet. This directory will be noted as /path/to/unzipped/zip in this tutorial.

Open up a command prompt and plug in your tablet (if you're on PC) or just launch Terminal Emulator on your tablet.

This first command can be skipped if you're installing this without a computer, but if you're using ADB, then first run
    Code:
    adb shell

The next steps are universal for both Terminal Emulator and the PC command prompt or terminal.
    While we could use tethered TWRP to back up these partitions, it cannot properly back up the ESP, so we'll be backing up the partitions manually. To do so, run the following to get root permission and back up the original recovery and ESP.
    Code:
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/by-name/ESP of=/path/to/unzipped/zip/stock_ESP.img
    dd if=/dev/block/by-name/recovery of=/path/to/unzipped/zip/stock_recovery.img

Then, to install:
    Code:
    dd if=/path/to/unzipped/zip/ESP.img of=/dev/block/by-name/ESP
    dd if=/path/to/unzipped/zip/recovery.img of=/dev/block/by-name/recovery

Finally, reboot the tablet to make sure it worked. The ASUS screen should be replaced with an Intel one.

Volume Down + Power will give you an option of either fastboot or recovery, instead of just booting to fastboot like the stock bootloader.
    @jerbear294 @vampirefo

still alot of work left but . . .

Screenshot_2016-03-01-00-12-35.png
    Great work sdc! What are the stuff that need more work? Do you think all tablet functionality will be kept with CyanogenMod? GPS, bluetooth etc.

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

I need to clean up my baytrail / intel_base device tree some more to start it's a mess there are somethings in it i don't think are needed and things that still have to be added, i'll work on this today so i can have a build to work off of that is more complete.

I hope to keep as much functionality as possible. Audio, Bluetooth, GPS and Camera don't work yet, WiFi has crashed a couple of times, but hopefully can have an alpha build for users to test by the weekend.
    So you're scrapping 12.1 and moving onto 13?

No just needed to clear my head before i built cm-12.1 again, I just wanted to have a base time on how long a build from clobber takes on cm-13.0,
    cm-12.1 cleared ccache 2 hours 45 minutes - after building with ccache 45 minutes
    cm-13.0 cleared ccache 1 hour 54 minutes - after building with ccache 55 minutes

so a with fresh build i only need to wait a hour.

so now it's off to determine what proprietary blobs are actually common across all baytrail tablets so we can use the ones from a 5.1 device on cm-12.1 or from a 6.0 device on cm-13
    we'll resolved a couple of things last night on cm-12.1 but audio is still making me bang my head against the wall, so i have cm-13.0 building for fugu ( nexus player ) to fill up ccache so that rebuilds wont take so long when working on porting over to cm-13.0 figure if i'm going to have to bang my head against the wall it might as well be on android-6 off to run some errands.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone