Asus ME581CL / Downgrade from x.x.77 and root now possible / worldfirst!

Search This thread

konsolen

Jan 28, 2012
Vienna
Hi guys, ITS done!

UPDATE: 8.5.2015
Today i found the last fastboot command to downgrade.
Now its possible to downgrade from .77 to the rootable versions .53 or .57.
After downgrade and root, its possible to save the su with the root ab and upgrade your device to the newest .77 version.
Thx to the creator of the rootzenfone app!

So everyone who was to fast with the upgrades, can now go back and root the ASUS ME581CL.
I try now to pack all data in an apk, so that everyone can use it without to type. :good:

UPDATE: 9.5.2015
I will post now the steps to downgrade because of guys who want faster the root.
Intelflashtool: https://mega.co.nz/#F!B1lCHKbQ!pHQkVqwBcD5gQkaKhjd1hA

1. Make a backup of your apps with the asus backup tool or adb backup.
2. Copy the firmware .53 or .57 from the asus site and put it on your sdcard.
Rename to MOFD_SDUPDATE. (Look at your SKU ww,tw)
3. Factory reset and boot to droidboot with adb reboot bootloader or vol+ and power button on offline device.

4. Now we are flash the following files:
a. fastboot flash token bom-token.bin
b. fastboot flash dnx dnx_fwr.bin
c. fastboot flash dnx dnx_osr.bin
d. fastboot flash dnx ifwi.bin
e. fastboot flash radio radio_firmware.bin
f. fastboot flash tlv update.tlv
5. Now push vol- button to the point „sd update“ and press the power button. Plug off USB. The device is in Intel SOC mode now with an offline screen. No panic.
The last file to start flashing is the correct droidboot, this will done in next point...

6. Open Intel phone flash tool and choose "custom flash". On upper left choose "systemblankphone"
and click the files we flashed before (radio and tlv not need). Inclusive fastboot.img.pos.bin and boot.img in the lines.
Check the box with on-demand flash mode and press "start flash."
7. Press vol+ and vol- at same time on the tablet and plug usb in your pc. Release the vol buttons and then flash starts. Now its a little bit tricky but you can not brick your device. After around 3 min plug off usb and stop the flash. Uncheck all and let only OS Image actice.
Start Intelphone flasher again with "start flash". After around 2 min plug off device again and stop the intel tool. Now its ready!

8. This point is not really relevant but i push the power button for 10 sec and plug in the usb. Now the tab is charging and the display switch on. Start device with power button and the downgrade to .53 or .57 is starting.
9. Install the root zenfone tool, activate airplane mode and start the root app. Now your tab is rootet on .53 or .57. Open root tool again and look if root keeper is active. So, now you can upgrade to the newer versions. but use only the OTA updates then your root is safe.

I tried many weeks and this methode is safe, works without problems. Asus ME581CL rooted, job is done!

Have fun!

ps. now i will work for a app that can backup and flash nandroid within android. First tests look good.

Thx

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-09-00-42-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-09-00-42-01.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 3,279
  • asusflash.jpg
    asusflash.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 3,345
  • asusflash2.jpg
    asusflash2.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 3,262
  • flashfiles.zip
    673.8 KB · Views: 1,483
  • RootZenFone-1.4.6.8r.apk
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,219
  • boot.zip
    9.3 MB · Views: 1,543
  • fastboot.img.pos.zip
    12.3 MB · Views: 2,398
  • update.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 1,406
Last edited:

ShrekDTH

Jul 1, 2010
Duisburg
I managed it to root my Asus ME581C, firmware version KVT49L.WW_epad-11.8.2.58-20141021 with the Intel Atom Root Pack from this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/intel-android-devices-root-temp-cwm-t2975096

First of all i enabled USB debugging in expert mode and copy the SuperSU Zip on the internal storage. Then i installed all USB drivers for Windows. At last i start the launch.bat from the root pack, first type "ACCEPT" in the shell window and then "T3". I got the temp CWM Recovery and flash the SuperSU Zip and restart my device. All runs well now.

But i have one question. My device say, there is a firmware update, and that my files are not get lost if i start the update. Did i have already superSU if i do the update? Did someone tested it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Saeed rehman
Mar 31, 2015
I managed it to root my Asus ME581C, firmware version KVT49L.WW_epad-11.8.2.58-20141021 with the Intel Atom Root Pack from this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/intel-android-devices-root-temp-cwm-t2975096

First of all i enabled USB debugging in expert mode and copy the SuperSU Zip on the internal storage. Then i installed all USB drivers for Windows. At last i start the launch.bat from the root pack, first type "ACCEPT" in the shell window and then "T3". I got the temp CWM Recovery and flash the SuperSU Zip and restart my device. All runs well now.

But i have one question. My device say, there is a firmware update, and that my files are not get lost if i start the update. Did i have already superSU if i do the update? Did someone tested it?
Hello
You really rooted the Asus Memo Pad ME581C ?

Mar 31, 2015
SuperSU installed doesn't mean we gained root. Did you check it with root checker ? An application like titanium or adaway works?
Don't think I have a doubt in your world but till now nobody got root on ME581C (on the contrary ME572C). I receive mine at the end of this week and I'm really interested to root It. I cannot use anymore tab or phone without clean master, greenify, titanium and adaway.

ShrekDTH

Jul 1, 2010
Duisburg
As you can see on the second Picture, i already installed Titanium Backup, and it works. Same with Apps like Lucky Patcher, Aptoide or AdFree. Works all like a charm :)

Mar 31, 2015
Ok, this is a good new, I receive my ME581C tomorrow or friday.
But where did you get the firmware version KVT49L.WW_epad-11.8.2.58-20141021 ?
you didn't update to WW-11.8.2.72 ?

ShrekDTH

Jul 1, 2010
Duisburg
i got my ME581C at the 8th of april. The manufacturing date on the packaging says 11/2014. I think i got a lucky shot with this device :D The device came with the firmware KVT49L.WW_epad-11.8.2.58-20141021.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2015
I got mine last friday.
First thing I did, check firmware version. It's WW_epad-11.8.2.58-20141021 too.
I tried RootZenFone-1.4.6.8r and to my great surprise, it worked. So, for now, I'm in the same place as you, I don't know if I can update firmware without lost root.
If we can make a backup of system partition, we could reverse by recovery.
besides, tab is really nice and screen is large enough for everything. As comfortable as 10' for a tab size close to 7'. But I discovered some little problems:
- too large to be taken in one hand
- whites are not real white. It seems that colorimetry is too hot. I compared with ME572C which got real clean whites.
- speakers are not as good as ME572C, sound is flat.
On the contrary, the 7' screen of ME572C is too small for comics, games, etc ...
Funny thing, ME581C screen could enter into ME572C. That will be the perfect :D

konsolen

Jan 28, 2012
Vienna
root

Hi guys,

Sry for delay. Was busy with study and the new Smsung 920 and 925.
Root is no problem until firmware x.x.65 arrived.

My goal is to root the new firmware x.x.77.

What ive done now is flash the Asus down from the x.x.77 to the x.x.54.
The problem is that after the upgrade, root get lost.
I made a backup off all mmcbl partitions. I flashed all partitions without problems, so if the root is lost i can go back to the x.x.54 firmware.

Anyone know a solution to keep root after the update? Erase Asus the system partition with an upgrade?
So thats the problem su cant hide.

Reactions: nightmoonlight

LokkyVio

Apr 30, 2014
But where is update.tlv? I cannot find it =(

Also on step 7 nothing happen and I have 1 unknowns device "MOOREFIELD"...
And finally it's bricked...no any reaction after step 6, only unknowns device "MOOREFIELD".

UPD: strange, but it works ))) Actually update.tlv not necessary. Trying to update via OTA

Last edited:

konsolen

Jan 28, 2012
Vienna
Nice to hear. I will look for the tlv. But not all files are needet to work, i posted all files what we can flash for the best compatility.

I tried many weeks now for a solution and "bricked" it many times. But i get it always back with this tool.
The main problem was the ifwi file. Without that, no downgrade is possible. And to flash this file, was also not possible.
But now it worked.
You can make a nandroid backup with twrp live or nandroid manager to keep a safe backup.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys, ITS done!

UPDATE: 8.5.2015
    Today i found the last fastboot command to downgrade.
    Now its possible to downgrade from .77 to the rootable versions .53 or .57.
    After downgrade and root, its possible to save the su with the root ab and upgrade your device to the newest .77 version.
    Thx to the creator of the rootzenfone app!

So everyone who was to fast with the upgrades, can now go back and root the ASUS ME581CL.
    I try now to pack all data in an apk, so that everyone can use it without to type. :good:

UPDATE: 9.5.2015
    I will post now the steps to downgrade because of guys who want faster the root.
    Intelflashtool: https://mega.co.nz/#F!B1lCHKbQ!pHQkVqwBcD5gQkaKhjd1hA

1. Make a backup of your apps with the asus backup tool or adb backup.
    2. Copy the firmware .53 or .57 from the asus site and put it on your sdcard.
    Rename to MOFD_SDUPDATE. (Look at your SKU ww,tw)
    3. Factory reset and boot to droidboot with adb reboot bootloader or vol+ and power button on offline device.

4. Now we are flash the following files:
    a. fastboot flash token bom-token.bin
    b. fastboot flash dnx dnx_fwr.bin
    c. fastboot flash dnx dnx_osr.bin
    d. fastboot flash dnx ifwi.bin
    e. fastboot flash radio radio_firmware.bin
    f. fastboot flash tlv update.tlv
    5. Now push vol- button to the point „sd update“ and press the power button. Plug off USB. The device is in Intel SOC mode now with an offline screen. No panic.
    The last file to start flashing is the correct droidboot, this will done in next point...

6. Open Intel phone flash tool and choose "custom flash". On upper left choose "systemblankphone"
    and click the files we flashed before (radio and tlv not need). Inclusive fastboot.img.pos.bin and boot.img in the lines.
    Check the box with on-demand flash mode and press "start flash."
    7. Press vol+ and vol- at same time on the tablet and plug usb in your pc. Release the vol buttons and then flash starts. Now its a little bit tricky but you can not brick your device. After around 3 min plug off usb and stop the flash. Uncheck all and let only OS Image actice.
    Start Intelphone flasher again with "start flash". After around 2 min plug off device again and stop the intel tool. Now its ready!

8. This point is not really relevant but i push the power button for 10 sec and plug in the usb. Now the tab is charging and the display switch on. Start device with power button and the downgrade to .53 or .57 is starting.
    9. Install the root zenfone tool, activate airplane mode and start the root app. Now your tab is rootet on .53 or .57. Open root tool again and look if root keeper is active. So, now you can upgrade to the newer versions. but use only the OTA updates then your root is safe.

I tried many weeks and this methode is safe, works without problems. Asus ME581CL rooted, job is done!

Have fun!

ps. now i will work for a app that can backup and flash nandroid within android. First tests look good.

Thx
    Method confirmed!

I also managed to root my newly bought Asus Memopad 8 using konsolen's method, with slight variations:

* The backup step was skipped, as I didn't really have anything to backup on my just-bought tablet.
    * Downloaded the .57 firmware from the Asus website, copied it to the sd card and renamed it to MOFD_UPDATE.zip
    * The factory reset step was skipped
    * Booted the tablet into droidboot
    * Flashed the files using fastboot.exe in Windows. I used the fastboot from a different root kit I tried before. (fastboot in my Linux installation wouldn't see my tablet). I didn't flash the update.tlv file, as I couldn't find it. The "radio_firmware.bin" file was from the firmware zip.
    * Selected with the Vol- button the "SD dowload" entry from the menu, pressed the power button and disconnected from USB.
    * Followed the rest of the steps as in the guide by konsolen. During the second "start flash" step, I saw some errors, but I still stopped the flashing process after two minutes as in the guide.

I recommend installing the intel phone flash tool beforehand so you have it ready when it is needed in the middle of the boot process. I found the rooting process a bit trippy so I wouldn't advice this to the faint-hearted. However it is great that there is now a rooting method for this tablet.

So many thanks to konsolen developing and documenting this method, and to shakalaca for the ROOT ZenPhone tool.
    :good:

Yep, i attached some pics.
    Downgrade update doesn't install! Help

After flash tool i unplugged my tablet, then i started it but it says only intel inside :confused: ... i tried to boot into bootloader but it does not work. Please help me, i need my tablet fixed. :crying: