Asus MeMO 7 (me176cx)

Search This thread

dog121

Oct 24, 2011
london
I'm loving it- took it out of the box, unlocked the bootloader, rooted it, and put Pure Nexus on it.

I still use the tablet for media (that's for the most part all I've used it for in the past few months) due to the bigger screen, but going from the Nexus to the MeMO at night is... not seamless, to say the least. The Nexus is buttery smooth- especially with ElementalX kernel with the Dark Spice profile installed. The MeMO? Well... not so much.

I might attempt the Advanced Interactive Governor Tweaks on the MeMO if I can find the time. It might help a ton- and since I'll be applying the tweaks with EX Kernel Manager, they're completely reversible if something messes up.
Near enough the same as I did ...I did try the nougat experience with dp5 which is great so just waiting for the pure Nexus nougat experience...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using XDA-Developers mobile app

jerbear294

Recognized Contributor
Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
Near enough the same as I did ...I did try the nougat experience with dp5 which is great so just waiting for the pure Nexus nougat experience...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using XDA-Developers mobile app

I haven't flashed DP5 on there, although I'm tempted to. I think I'll just wait for the Pure Nexus to come out for Nougat- shouldn't take long knowing BeansTown.

Reactions: dog121

Beaver_XT

Jun 1, 2015
Long time no see. After I downgraded it to 4.4 everything has been going smoothly. I don't root it because I don't have reason to. Amount of bloatware isn't that severe to me. Disabling them did the job.
Still, it'd be nice if I can install Windows on it. I'm intending to give it to my mom and I can't be bothered to teach her how to use Android. :p

Beaver_XT

Jun 1, 2015
Is there a big difference in performance and stability between kit kat and the russian lite lolipop rom?
I didn't use Russian .36 but I had .36 and rootuninstall almost everything apart from essential services so I got more than 460MB available ram.
Somehow the memory management in Lollipop still isn't as good as in Kitkat. For instance if I use music player while surfing the music process will be terminated almost immediately. I never have this problem with 4.4 even it show that I only start with about 260+ MB of ram available.
5.0 is fast and fluid but can only do one thing at a time. With 4.4 sometime when I scroll through pages it stutters a bit but at least it can do what I need which is music and reading at the same time.

Reactions: rodrengo and Nexive

Nexive

Feb 12, 2012
Brussels
I didn't use Russian .36 but I had .36 and rootuninstall almost everything apart from essential services so I got more than 460MB available ram.
Somehow the memory management in Lollipop still isn't as good as in Kitkat. For instance if I use music player while surfing the music process will be terminated almost immediately. I never have this problem with 4.4 even it show that I only start with about 260+ MB of ram available.
5.0 is fast and fluid but can only do one thing at a time. With 4.4 sometime when I scroll through pages it stutters a bit but at least it can do what I need which is music and reading at the same time.
Thanks for the feedback!
I'm now back on kit kat with root and like you said, switching between apps is much better than in lollipop.
The only shortcoming is that there isn't a permanent TWRP recovery for kit kat yet.
But after all, the important thing is that my tablet is usable again in multitasking.

Last edited:

jerbear294

Recognized Contributor
Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
I may have found a solution to the battery drain / tablet being warm to the touch during "sleep" mode (sleep being in quotation marks because with those symptoms there's no way the thing is sleeping) issue.

...yes, yes, I know, I've said I found the solution before. Pretty sure that "finding" was a placebo. But I feel confident this time. I've mostly been using my phone all day, but I've left my tablet on. It was draining and was rather warm, but now it has only drained one percent in the past hour and isn't warm at all.

I was experimenting with kernel settings in EX Kernel Manager, and found that the kernel is forcing the tablet in to what Intel calls "turbo boost" mode- 1.8GHz- at an even basis, even when the screen is off. My theory is that this is preventing the tablet from going in to deep sleep. I have a hunch that this is also why none of the "battery saver" applications have done much, either.

I've disabled a couple of kernel instructions relating to the turbo boost. I've disabled quite a bit, and some of it might be redundant, but it's just in case the kernel decides to be stupid and re-enable some of the settings. With this tablet... you never know. As an added bonus, I have disabled touchboost, which increases the clock speed when the screen is touched. In this case, touchboost went to the turbo boost frequency (of course, because that makes sense ASUS) which means this poor thing was at 1.8 GHz constantly. I'm pretty sure Intel designed that frequency to be a short boost to make an intensive task go quicker for a few seconds, not a constant thing. Touchboost may have been causing the tablet to become unstable and crashy due to this, but we'll see about that over time.

So far, I have had nothing but good results, but I'm going to be testing this for a few days to make sure it's really the cause of the problem and not a coincidence. Considering temperature is involved, I don't think this is a placebo, but regardless I think the best course of action is to keep the profile private for a few days. Just in case.

If results are good, I will be releasing the fix in two forms.

For those of you who have EX Kernel Manager, I will release an EXKM interactive governor profile (currently I'm calling it K013Redux since it appears to fix the majority of the problems people had with Lollipop, but I'm open to suggestions for the name). That way, the fix will be "plug-and-play."

For those of you who do not have EX Kernel Manager, I will have the parameters that I changed laid out in the post. Keep in mind that I have only tested the results on EX Kernel Manager, so your mileage may vary.

Sent from my LG Nexus 5X using XDA Labs

bryandroid98

Mar 30, 2016
I may have found a solution to the battery drain / tablet being warm to the touch during "sleep" mode (sleep being in quotation marks because with those symptoms there's no way the thing is sleeping) issue.

...yes, yes, I know, I've said I found the solution before. Pretty sure that "finding" was a placebo. But I feel confident this time. I've mostly been using my phone all day, but I've left my tablet on. It was draining and was rather warm, but now it has only drained one percent in the past hour and isn't warm at all.

I was experimenting with kernel settings in EX Kernel Manager, and found that the kernel is forcing the tablet in to what Intel calls "turbo boost" mode- 1.8GHz- at an even basis, even when the screen is off. My theory is that this is preventing the tablet from going in to deep sleep. I have a hunch that this is also why none of the "battery saver" applications have done much, either.

I've disabled a couple of kernel instructions relating to the turbo boost. I've disabled quite a bit, and some of it might be redundant, but it's just in case the kernel decides to be stupid and re-enable some of the settings. With this tablet... you never know. As an added bonus, I have disabled touchboost, which increases the clock speed when the screen is touched. In this case, touchboost went to the turbo boost frequency (of course, because that makes sense ASUS) which means this poor thing was at 1.8 GHz constantly. I'm pretty sure Intel designed that frequency to be a short boost to make an intensive task go quicker for a few seconds, not a constant thing. Touchboost may have been causing the tablet to become unstable and crashy due to this, but we'll see about that over time.

So far, I have had nothing but good results, but I'm going to be testing this for a few days to make sure it's really the cause of the problem and not a coincidence. Considering temperature is involved, I don't think this is a placebo, but regardless I think the best course of action is to keep the profile private for a few days. Just in case.

If results are good, I will be releasing the fix in two forms.

For those of you who have EX Kernel Manager, I will release an EXKM interactive governor profile (currently I'm calling it K013Redux since it appears to fix the majority of the problems people had with Lollipop, but I'm open to suggestions for the name). That way, the fix will be "plug-and-play."

For those of you who do not have EX Kernel Manager, I will have the parameters that I changed laid out in the post. Keep in mind that I have only tested the results on EX Kernel Manager, so your mileage may vary.

Hi, plz upload the settings of EX Kernel Manager. I'll be appreciated.

Beaver_XT

Jun 1, 2015
I'm not sure. I'm not on KitKat (nor do I plan to be any time soon) so I haven't tested it.

I'm sure you could use EX Kernel Manager or Kernel Adiutor and try to find the same settings in that kernel, but I can't guarantee it'll work.
Ok, I'll find sometime to try it but first I have to get it rooted.

jerbear294

Recognized Contributor
Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
Hi, plz upload the settings of EX Kernel Manager. I'll be appreciated.

Not yet. I plan to in a day or so, however. I'm still testing it and tweaking some of the kernel parameters.

Now, on to a status report.

So far, results are still good. I made some changes to the interactive kernel governor that go past just messing with boost options. I've changed when the CPU goes in to the 1.8GHz "turbo boost" mode, and I've also told it to only go to 1.3GHz as the maximum clock speed (what the clock should be) unless it needs to be at 1.8GHz (which I've currently defined as 80% CPU usage) in an attempt to emulate KitKat's turbo boost behavior. It seems to have worked, the tablet hasn't gone in to 1.8GHz since I set that- but I also don't really use the tablet for anything this intensive these days.

If all is good, I will release the kernel profile tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: bryandroid98

tim_h

Mar 22, 2011
Karlsruhe

Sounds promising! Keep us posted! :)

I have a hunch that this is also why none of the "battery saver" applications have done much, either.

I have had good results with DS Battery Saver - and I thought you did, too?

jerbear294

Recognized Contributor
Oct 9, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
Sounds promising! Keep us posted! :)

I have a hunch that this is also why none of the "battery saver" applications have done much, either.

I have had good results with DS Battery Saver - and I thought you did, too?
DS Battery Saver has had mixed results in my testing. It would work some of the time, but looking at the kernel manager it definitely wasn't staying in deep sleep usually. It could have been due to Viper4Android, though.

Essentially, my kernel profile acts as a "smarter" DS Battery Saver (going in to deep sleep only when necessary, without needing manual configuration and blacklisting, while simultaneously improving thermal temperatures and restoring Turbo Boost functionality back to how Intel designed it to be.

I had too much on my plate to release the profile yesterday- fingers crossed for a release today, though! :)

Reactions: phuq and groovychap

Nexive

Feb 12, 2012
Brussels
How do I get camera and bluetooth working on the Russian Lite .36?
I was on Kit Kat .182 and followed each Kit Kat OTA till .201.
After that, I installed the .17 Lollipop ROM, then I installed the repacked .36 ROM.
Once the .36 was installed, I flashed the Russian Lite .36. Everything works fine exept bluetooth and camera.

idoetzchen

Jun 7, 2014
How do I get camera and bluetooth working on the Russian Lite .36?
I was on Kit Kat .182 and followed each Kit Kat OTA till .201.
After that, I installed the .17 Lollipop ROM, then I installed the repacked .36 ROM.
Once the .36 was installed, I flashed the Russian Lite .36. Everything works fine exept bluetooth and camera.

I had the same problem, only after rollback to kitkat -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/memo-pad-7/general/how-to-rollback-lollipop-to-kitkat-t3422498 <- Bluetooth and camera works

Nexive

Feb 12, 2012
Brussels
I had the same problem, only after rollback to kitkat -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/memo-pad-7/general/how-to-rollback-lollipop-to-kitkat-t3422498 <- Bluetooth and camera works
What I've done to get camera and bluetooth working again on Lite .36:
1. Rolled back on .201 Kit Kat
2. I messed things up on .201 Kit Kat so I couldn't boot anymore :p
3. Followed the unbrick tread to get back on de CN .182 Kit Kat
4. Flashed the WW .182 Kit Kat, followed each OTA till .201 Kit Kat
5. Used the .17 Lollipop ROM in the collection ROM tread to update my tablet to Lollipop
6. I took the official .36 Lollipop ROM from the ASUS website and put it in the internal storage
7. Tablet detected a system update on the device and installed it
8. Unlocked the bootloader and permanent TWRP
9. Wiped dalvik cache, cache, system, data and internal storage and flashed the .36 Lite ROM

Now, everythings works fine. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: groovychap

Lautaro Mondaca

• Jun 14, 2013
    Mendoza
    DS Battery Saver has had mixed results in my testing. It would work some of the time, but looking at the kernel manager it definitely wasn't staying in deep sleep usually. It could have been due to Viper4Android, though.

Essentially, my kernel profile acts as a "smarter" DS Battery Saver (going in to deep sleep only when necessary, without needing manual configuration and blacklisting, while simultaneously improving thermal temperatures and restoring Turbo Boost functionality back to how Intel designed it to be.

I had too much on my plate to release the profile yesterday- fingers crossed for a release today, though! :)

hi! any news about this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      me176c

Is there any way to go back to WW from CN? Cause the play store doesn't seem to work now

its a litle complicated becouse when you try to sideloade ww version it gives error for not having inough space. So you need to give command to recovery to instal zip from location you want.
      1. root with rootzenfone.apk
      2. turn on usb debuging
      3. download ww rom and rename it update.zip
      4. download es or some other file menager that has root access.
      5. go to / (root) and manualy copy update.zip to /data folder
      6. open ADB and type line by line:

adb remount
      adb shell
      su
      echo 'boot-recovery ' > /cache/recovery/command
      echo '--update_package=/data/update.zip' >> /cache/recovery/command
      echo '--wipe_cache' >> /cache/recovery/command
      echo 'reboot' >> /cache/recovery/command
      reboot recovery

after this your device will reboot to recovery and automaticly instal ww rom. :)
      Interesting, what other form is there for them?

Sent from my i708Q using Tapatalk

I originally wrote an script/update.zip that is ran through the tethered twrp that generates an emergency PFT (Phone Flash Tool) package, then installed the .efi bootloader into the esp partition, and then would generate a twrp recovery from the devices stock recovery and then flash the generated twrp.img.

unfortunately some devices / some versions of the tethered recovery concept didn't like the scripting and would error on md5 checking so i scrapped that and am working on making it into an actual app that will also check if a device meets the requirements of the insecure bootloader to try to make it as safe as possible for unconfirmed devices.

Actually, I wouldn't recommend fastboot for this, I'd use dd. The only problem with that is if you don't know the partition numbers you can brick your device.

if you want i can send you a update-binary script that will do the flashing of the images through the tethered recovery instead of having to manually dd the images. i would like to eliminate and chance of bricking a device.
      Yep, with the insecure bootloader we can now flash a custom ROM
      @social-design-concepts is also working on Cyanogenmod 12.1 (I believe)

CM-12.1 and Android-M
      @jerbear294 I think hope to and really hoping to have something to test by the end of the weekend latest.

After tonights build I should have a better idea.
      And there is link http://d-h.st/1MK
      It is working!

Послато са K013