[Asus MeMo Pad 7 : ME172V] [All in 1 App] Roms, Rooting, Bugs, General

Search This thread

san_099

Aug 20, 2012
Selangor
This tablet is really slow compared with many android devices.
So it would be great if someone could figure out how to overclock the tab beyond the standard 1080mz, maybe by making custom kernel.

Alternativly this could work
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2273317

To my understanding its just scripts and the developer says it works with all android devcies. I use it in my Samsung Galaxy and it is amazing...

eureka9092000

Dec 30, 2010
Is there anyone who manage to play gameloft games in this tablet? I already tried to play and install gameloft games but all of them seem to have same problem. Modern Combat 4, Nova 3, Gangstar Vegas. The games only work until menu but when I start to play and enter gameplay, it will force close. The same thing happen with sim free play, Mass Effect Infiltrator and pacific rim the mobile. I know some of these games are not supported but the pattern problem for all the games is same, I afraid the tablet itself has problem to handle certain type of 3d graphics which can be consider as a bug. When it comes to high 3d graphic the only games that work for this tablet is madfinger games (dead trigger and shadowgun).

Claj

Sep 1, 2012
Is there anyone who manage to play gameloft games in this tablet? I already tried to play and install gameloft games but all of them seem to have same problem. Modern Combat 4, Nova 3, Gangstar Vegas. The games only work until menu but when I start to play and enter gameplay, it will force close. The same thing happen with sim free play, Mass Effect Infiltrator and pacific rim the mobile. I know some of these games are not supported but the pattern problem for all the games is same, I afraid the tablet itself has problem to handle certain type of 3d graphics which can be consider as a bug. When it comes to high 3d graphic the only games that work for this tablet is madfinger games (dead trigger and shadowgun).

I noticed that xbmc app fc too

Sent from my ME172V using xda app-developers app

nerotNS

Nov 8, 2011
45.2500° N, 19.8500° E (Novi Sad)

Most gameloft games work ok on my tab, and high graphics not working isn't a bug...We don't exactly have a Tegra...
Sent from my LG-P350 using xda premium

clarkinchina

Jul 13, 2013
steps to reproduce???

I managed to install gapps with CWM and all is fine.

Hey Newworld77!

I'm also in China, got the 8gb me127v for my wife. We'd also like to get gapps running fine on it. The guys I bought if from tried to install play and framework services but they don't work. I'm always getting error messages (unfortunately google framework services has stopped, play won't let me sign in, says that no data connection can be established, etc) So obviously has something to do with the system and rom.

I know a little bit about terminal, because I've used it in ubuntu, I can follow the steps, could I trouble you for more details?

I got as far as dumping and restoring with Frank's util (thanks Frank_que!) but the international rom won't boot up, just like you said. So I've restored back to my original CN dump (unfortunately its got the manually installed play store and google framework services still installed).

So I'm lost on what to do first.

Somehow its Apps and factory restore menus are locked and grayed out, so I don't know how to remove these broken apps, I don't know, is it necessary to remove them since they're not working?

Or do I restore the international rom, then root the tablet and then run ClockworkMod? Is it solved with correct partitioning or through a way of installing gapps?

Thanks a ton in advance!

Peace!

clarkinchina

Jul 13, 2013
Terminal emulator or adb on pc.

Sent from my ME172V using XDA Premium HD app

will quickadb work for this boot of CWM recovery?

I haven't tried it yet, but I've already done a dump and tried restoring the international stock rom (it wouldn't boot).

My goal is just to get gapps working on the m127v I bought in China. I've restored it back to the original rom, it works, but without play store, etc.

how does one interface with the terminal emulator on the tablet itself? Do I have to have it connected to my PC? I understand the instructions about quickadb found at androidcentral. Should I just go that route?

Thanks so much for any replies!

frank_que

Jan 24, 2009
Milan, but soon...Bangkok!!!
Hey Newworld77!

I'm also in China, got the 8gb me127v for my wife. We'd also like to get gapps running fine on it. The guys I bought if from tried to install play and framework services but they don't work. I'm always getting error messages (unfortunately google framework services has stopped, play won't let me sign in, says that no data connection can be established, etc) So obviously has something to do with the system and rom.

I know a little bit about terminal, because I've used it in ubuntu, I can follow the steps, could I trouble you for more details?

I got as far as dumping and restoring with Frank's util (thanks Frank_que!) but the international rom won't boot up, just like you said. So I've restored back to my original CN dump (unfortunately its got the manually installed play store and google framework services still installed).

So I'm lost on what to do first.

Somehow its Apps and factory restore menus are locked and grayed out, so I don't know how to remove these broken apps, I don't know, is it necessary to remove them since they're not working?

Or do I restore the international rom, then root the tablet and then run ClockworkMod? Is it solved with correct partitioning or through a way of installing gapps?

Thanks a ton in advance!

Peace!

If someone put somewhere the ORIGINAL complete dump of a Chinese version of tablet and send me a private message with link, I'll try to understand the difference between it and the International version...

sss2sssss

May 7, 2012
BTW why the Memo Pad series number will change dunno is after root or after unroot?
I got check this tablet series number after bought and before root, it's match with the box and receipt....
Here's the buyer who bought my memo pad send the picture to me...
post-501949-1373802048.jpg

Currently now after I unroot and restore the system file which I backup and factory reset it......
I root so many device also not encounter this problem before, so give me an answer please....

Last edited:

frank_que

Jan 24, 2009
BTW why the Memo Pad series number will change dunno is after root or after unroot?
I got check this tablet series number after bought and before root, it's match with the box and receipt....
Here's the buyer who bought my memo pad send the picture to me...
post-501949-1373802048.jpg

Currently now after I unroot and restore the system file which I backup and factory reset it......
I root so many device also not encounter this problem before, so give me an answer please....

from one of my precedent post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=42832125&postcount=466
Code:
mmcblk1p8	kernel-logo 2MB vfat	some tablet settings ([COLOR="Red"]serial number, [/COLOR]calibrations, etc...)

Serial number is a text file named "ISN" on the partition 8....

Maybe you have replaced mmcblk1p8 coming from an another dump...

sss2sssss

May 7, 2012
from one of my precedent post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=42832125&postcount=466
Code:
mmcblk1p8	kernel-logo 2MB vfat	some tablet settings ([COLOR="Red"]serial number, [/COLOR]calibrations, etc...)

but when I restore I use back my own tablet system dump....
I put every dump file back so that it can be restore all to before root status....

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Code:

There's got any tool I can open the img file?
Just I tried EXT4 unpacker and EXT2 explorer but no work....

frank_que

Jan 24, 2009
but when I restore I use back my own tablet system dump....
I put every dump file back so that it can be restore all to before root status....

Also my tablet has a serial number different from the one printed on the BOX label...

But the serial number show in android comes from file ISN on partition8...

I'm not sure but probably SSN printed on memo pad BOX refer to a Hardware serial number...

Are you sure to have seen the same number before?

For how to open the image....partition is formatted with FAT file system!!!

Code:
mmcblk1p8	kernel-logo 2MB [COLOR="Red"]vfat[/COLOR]	some tablet settings (serial number, calibrations, etc...)

Last edited:

sss2sssss

May 7, 2012
Also my tablet has a serial number different from the one printed on the BOX label...

But the serial number show in android comes from file ISN on partition8...

I'm not sure but probably SSN printed on memo pad BOX refer to a Hardware serial number...

Are you sure to have seen the same number before?

Ya....
I'm sure after I bought then back home and I check for everything include series number ady...
Since that time I'm register the product to vip.asus there....
BTW I tired DooMLoRd created img extractor, the partition 8 file also won't extract...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=961164

frank_que

Jan 24, 2009
Ya....
I'm sure after I bought then back home and I check for everything include series number ady...
Since that time I'm register the product to vip.asus there....
BTW I tired DooMLoRd created img extractor, the partition 8 file also won't extract...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=961164

I don't know WHY you whould change the serial number of your tablet...

Anyway.... if your tablet is rooted you can install a terminal application like this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm and after mount partition8 and edit the txt file...

But I'm sure you're doing something wrong, because if you have restored your original dump, you also have restored the original file showed from android settings app.

After you seen your old serial number, did you do a system update??

sss2sssss

May 7, 2012
I don't know WHY you whould change the serial number of your tablet...

Anyway.... if your tablet is rooted you can install a terminal application like this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm and after mount partition8 and edit the txt file...

But I'm sure you're doing something wrong, because if you have restored your original dump, you also have restored the original file showed from android settings app.

After you seen your old serial number, did you do a system update??

I got do the system update to the current version before root this tablet....

frank_que

Jan 24, 2009
I got do the system update to the current version before root this tablet....

It's so strange that system update change the serial number.... but if you have done a full dump with dumputil before root and system update, you can restore all dump, and I think you will have the old serial number. (of course you loose root and system update).

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

Iv'e found where is the number PRINTED ON MEMO PAD BOX, is also in partition 8 but the name is "PhoneInfo_log"

Probably after system update the app show the other serial number that is in ISN file.

And for this reason I suggest you to don't touch anything....:)

Last edited:
Reactions: sss2sssss

sss2sssss

May 7, 2012
It's so strange that system update change the serial number.... but if you have done a full dump with dumputil before root and system update, you can restore all dump, and I think you will have the old serial number. (of course you loose root and system update).

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

Iv'e found where is the number PRINTED ON MEMO PAD BOX, is also in partition 8 but the name is "PhoneInfo_log"

Probably after system update the app show the other serial number that is in ISN file.

And for this reason I suggest you to don't touch anything....:)

I think u should update to OP since some ppl like my ME172V buyer scared it would void the warranty even it all restore back to factory state...

mikolaj_kamler

Jul 16, 2013
ASUS Memo 7 HD sytem update loops forever

Hello,
Yes, I'm a noob.

A notification appeared, prompting me to update my system. The one supplied with my tablet, of course, didn't try to root it or anything else, being such a giant noob of a noob.:eek: It's five hours now since the tablet started updating the system and it seems stuck in a loop - there's a message saying "Installing system update..." along with a progress bar on my screen.
When the bar reaches the end, it disappears for a second and then is back at the start again, and so on and on...

I tried resetting the tablet by pressing the power button - nothing happens, only the screen goes a bit dimmer and messages appear onscreen, telling me that it's "Installing update", "verifying current system", "removing unneeded files", "Patching system files", "Patching boot image", "Unpacking new files", "Unpacking new recovery", "Symlinks and permissions" and "Patching remaining system files". The last of these messages appears when the progress bar reaches its end, and when it starts again, the message is "Installing update" again...

I tried pressing the power button for a *really* long time (a little short of a minute) - nothing. So perhaps there is another way to force restart on this tablet? I found information in this thread that there is a small hole on one side where one can insert a needle to restart - but I guess this happens only on the ME172, since the only hole apart from the phones, USB and micro SD ports is the mic port. But perhaps there would be another way?

Or perhaps this isn't a loop at all - perhaps this update is really supposed to take this #^$%ing long...
If you have any idea what I should do in such a situation, please let me know...

Thanks in advance,
Mikołaj

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ASUS MEMO PAD 7 [ME172V]
    Asus-MeMO-Pad.jpg

UPDATE
    We now have root for latest firmware = asus-ME172V-WW_user_4.5.4.52875837_20140520

Attached to post :D

GET IT FROM THIS POST :D

GET ALTERNATIVE ROOT HERE (Copy.com)
    Remember this is based on the old root (manual) so READ THE README

===========================================================
    READ THE README.TXT INSIDE ZIP FILE !!
    ===========================================================

This thread is all about Asus MeMo Pad 7 (ME172V ONLY)
    will try keep this thread up to date when new things happend.

DOWNLOADS

==============================================
    AMPC BETA APP NOT FOR LATEST FIRMWARE!
    With root, unroot, dump, restore and much much more buildin.

GET IT HERE:
    LATEST VERSION
    LATEST VERSION MIRROR

This app has all the buildin tools for rooting, installing recovery etc.

REMEMBER THIS
    - You need to remove any version of the old script from your External SD Card before installing this (Move it to another folder or to PC)
    - The app is 35+ MB since it has all the scripts/root kernels etc. Included inside.
    - make sure your SD card is min. 4GB and formattet fat32 (And that it is active)

PLEASE PLEASE if you try it give feedback...any feedback please (suggestions, bugs etc.)
    WARNING:
    Remember this is beta and if for whatever reason you brick your tablet it is not our fault!

================================================

Roms:
    AMPC ROM NOT FOR LATEST FIRMWARE!
    THREAD

Mods:
    Circle battery + deodexed NOT FOR LATEST FIRMWARE!
    SystemUI

AMPC App added to Settings + deodexed NOT FOR LATEST FIRMWARE!
    Settings

Recovery (CWM):
    CWM 6 beta XDA Thread

ROOTED + CWM - Full Dump of System/Boot/Recovery FW : asus-ME172V-WW_user_4.5.4.52875837_20140520
    8GB : GET IT HERE

STOCK - Full Dump of System/Boot/Recovery FW : asus-ME172V-WW_user_4.5.4.52875837_20140520

Full Dump of System/Boot/Recovery
    mirror by HTC0017 (thanx buddy)

credits to uploader crazykiddo

8GB : https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/1C4110CAC33843DBA97D95EEABBB761AY?path=0
    credits to uploader zoyo149

Official USB Drivers:http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePAD/ME172V/ASUS_Android_USB_drivers_for_Windows_20130415.zip

Windows Drivers:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1815830&d=1363661561
    Note: Should be installed manually

Clear Data Zip: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePAD/ME172V/cleardata.zip (Thanx to nerotNS)
    Has been confirmed working.
    Instructions:
    Asus MeMO Pad ClearData SOP
    1. Download the "cleardata.zip"
    2. Unzip to MicroSD card
    3. insert SD to device
    4. press power bottun to boot
    5. choose clear user data by volume key and press power key to do the clear data

ME172V Bugs:
    - Debug mode on and USB cable connected to PC..pull out cable and suddenly battery is 0% and it reboots (not every time but often)
    - WiFi on/off (and others) toast message does not go away sometimes (just press it again on/off)
    - Screen is very dark from looking from top and down (portrait mode) (HARDWARE ISSUE)
    - Doing adb reboot bootloader or adb reboot fastboot bricks the device.

Feel free to talk about issues/bugs/files whateva u want as long as its the MeMo Pad 7
    Please don't ask about root/roms etc...
    If it is out its here if not then not out!!

The wait is over....the utility for root Asus Memo Pad me172v is here!

Please read carefully this post and remember before to do something...SKILLS REQUIRED! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR TABLET!!!

you need:

Of course, a me172v tablet (I've tested the utility on a 16gb version)
    At least 2gb Micro SD card with partition table formatted as FAT16 or FAT32!!! Pay attention...Micro SD less than 2GB and formatted as VOLUME without partition table doesn't work!!!

NB: Asus cleardata.zip utility has the same problem, won't boot on a volume formatted SD card...it needs partition table, if you don't know how to do that, look at this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/SD_card_partitioning do, step 1, 2 and 4 but skip step 3. You also can use linux gparted to do it.

Procedure to root me172v:

Download Me172vDumpUtil_v0.2.zip at the end of this post.

Unzip Me172vDumpUtil_v0.2.zip to / (root) of SD card

Make sure the battery has full power and TURN OFF your me172v

Insert the SD Card in the slot

TURN ON your me172v

After a while a dark blue screen with a menu with 3 options will appear: (if your tablet won't boot...probably you've made something wrong or your tablet is not compatible)

"Dump me172v flash and some info"

"shutdown"

"Restore me172v flash (previously saved)"

"Press [power button] to Confirm or [Volume up or down] to Select"

Press [volume up] key and select "Dump me172v flash and some info" pressing [power button]

take a cup of coffee...the process will take 6/7 minutes or more!

When the process is finished the tablet will shutdown automatically.

This procedure is necessary to have a system rom's full backup (without user data partition)

Now save all the files you will found on /me172v/dump to a secure place.

Now download Me172vRootUtil_v0.1.zip at the end of this post.

If you want you can use another micro SD card but with the same feature (Fat16 or Fat32 formatted with partition table).

If you don't use a new one, delete all files on SD card (after the copy of rom files to pc)

Unzip Me172vRootUtil_v0.1.zip to / (root) of SD card

Make sure the battery has full power and TURN OFF your me172v

insert the SD Card in the slot

TURN ON your me172v

After some while a dark blue screen with a menu with 3 options will appear: (if your tablet won't boot...probably you've made something wrong or your tablet is not compatible)

"root me172v"

"shutdown"

"unroot me172v"

"Press [power button] to Confirm or [Volume up or down] to Select"

Press [volume up] key and select "root me172v" pressing [power button]

When the process is finished the utility will ask you to remove the micro sd card, after you remove it the system will reboot.

Your me172v is now rooted!! :)

people who wants to know what my Root utility does, here's in sequence what will happen:

Step 1) backup to /me172v/dump on sdcard of partition 2 (boot/kernel), partition 7 (logo) and u-boot environment (MTD1, MTD2)

Step 2) replacement of partition 2 on device

The differences between the original boot image and the new one (the rooted) are located into these 2 files:
    File default.prop:
    original:
    ro.secure=1
    ro.allow.mock.location=0
    ro.debuggable=0

modified:
    ro.secure=0
    ro.allow.mock.location=1
    ro.debuggable=1

File init.wmt.rc:
    Original:
    mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /system wait noatime nosuid nodev barrier=0 journal_checksum noauto_da_alloc
    on property:ro.secure=0
    class_start eng

Modified:
    mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /system wait noatime nodev barrier=0 journal_checksum noauto_da_alloc
    # on property:ro.secure=0
    # class_start eng

And of course...the new boot image is not signed!

Step 3) Remove rsa pubblic key (variable wmt.rsa.pem) from u-boot environment (without the key...device can bootstrap with a unsigned imaqe!)

Step 4) Add busybox, su and Superuser.apk to /system partition and set relative permissions (busybox doesn't replace original toolbox)

Step 5) Change the boot logo

Step 6) When the process is finished the utility will ask you to remove the micro sd card, after you remove it the system will reboot.

If you don't want the new boot logo, you can restore partition 7 with DumpUtil.

Please refer for all info of the both utilities into readme.txt inside the zip files.

People who wants install a firewall app on me172v rooted:

Some days ago, I started to attempt finding a way to root me172v device because I needed a firewall app on my tablet.

Now I've made the utility to root our tablet, but I've tested various android firewall without success.

The reason they don't work is that original kernel on me172v was compiled without CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_OWNER option.

Read this: http://code.google.com/p/droidwall/wiki/FAQ

I don't have any experience to recompile the kernel or modules...but I think that no one was born fully skilled, I just need the time to learn how to recompile it with the right options. ;)

And of course, don't ask me now this mod, if I will achieve my goal....it will be posted here.

Change log:

Me172vDumpUtil_v0.2.zip:
    Version 0.1 - 19/05/2013: Initial Version
    Version 0.2 - 27/05/2013: Some bug fix (partition 9 was excluded from backup), added Restore function

Me172vRootUtil_v0.1.zip
    Version 0.1 - 27/05/2013: Initial Version

Download files from here: http://ampc.argdev.dk/

A very special BIG THANKS to Crazykiddo (also for the mini site) and NerotNS for helping me to test and improve these utilities.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK/RUIN YOUR TABLET IN ANY WAY.

SKILLS REQUIRED! IF YOU DO NOT KNOW OF WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT...YOU ARE (PROBABLY) IN A WRONG PLACE.

PLEASE DON'T SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGE ABOUT THIS POST, WRITE ANY QUESTION HERE!

PLEASE, DON'T INSERT THE MICRO SD CARD ON "POWERED ON TABLET", I DON'T KNOW IF THERE IS SOME AUTORUN SCRIPT, REMEMBER I'VE USED CLEARDATA SCRIPT TO DO me172vRootUtil!!!

This work was made in my free time.

Frank Que
    the wait is almost over ;)

The wait is almost over...tomorrow I'll post the new DumpUtil 0.2 (with also restore function) and the RootUtil 0.1....try to guess what this utility will do???

Just wait, we need time, Crazykiddo will ask to admins if it's possible open a tread for device, because now our device is rooted!! ;)

Have fun during this wait!
    Me172v rooted!!!!

Hello guys,

I've good news....I've rooted my me172v!

attached the screenshots!

Now i'm testing, and if everything is ok in the next week the public release!!!

Please don't ask me to have root now or send me private message about it...I'm working, just please wait!!!!

Frank Que
    Good news everyone! A guy from ASUS said that he will give me some info on recovery as well as fastboot. Brace yourselves CWM is coming :)

Sent from my LG-P350 using xda premium
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone