[Asus MeMo Pad 7 : ME172V] [All in 1 App] Roms, Rooting, Bugs, General

Search This thread

Hafford

Feb 3, 2012
Columbus
Anyone else have trouble getting CWM to load up after restore of dump?

I have gone through all of the steps and I have put terminal emulator on tablet(can't get computer to recognize tablet) but I can not get it to load into recovery....I have tried getting to the recovery via rom manager but still no luck. Any help?

mr.fouad1000

Jul 24, 2013
can you put the link for the rom to download your rom on me172v 8gb or is there no different just put a link to download the rom
thanks.....:good:

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

can you put the link for the rom to download your rom on me172v 8gb or is there no different just put a link to download the rom
thanks.....:good::good:

Last edited:

Hafford

Feb 3, 2012
Columbus
Trouble with CWM

Ok I have gone through all of the steps listed in the guide. I am having trouble getting to the recovery. My computer won't recognize my device and terminal emulator won't recognize any of the commands. I have tried booting into recovery via rom manager and it restarts and loads for a few seconds but them I get an error...the android is lieing on his back with an exclamation point in a red triangle. Can anyone help?

Last edited:

frank_que

Jan 24, 2009
Milan, but soon...Bangkok!!!
Ok I have gone through all of the steps listed in the guide. I am having trouble getting to the recovery. My computer won't recognize my device and terminal emulator won't recognize any of the commands. I have tried booting into recovery via rom manager and it restarts and loads for a few seconds but them I get an error...the android is lieing on his back with an exclamation point in a red triangle. Can anyone help?

Try leave the tablet WAIT some minutes with the android with exclamation point...it should reboot automatically into normal kernel...

Sent from my ME172V using xda app-developers app

nerotNS

Nov 8, 2011
45.2500° N, 19.8500° E (Novi Sad)

Ok so first, please don't quote the entire OP as it takes too much unneeded space. Please edit that part out and also please don't make two same posts, if you want to add something to your previous one, you have the edit option. Second, have you installed the sdk and the required drivers for the tablet onto your computer? Then what do you mean by terminal emulator not recognizing commands? Which command did you try sending? Third, we are not supported by ROM manager, and in my recovery thread, I said to use adb reboot recovery as the only way to reboot to it, as any other way could potentially damage your device. Also, were you on latest firmware at the time of flashing the recovery? The recovery is made using the files from my own tablet which is up to date. And finally, what is the state of the device at this moment? Is it bootable? Is it stuck in a loop? What does the screen say. Answer all of these questions and we might be able to help then.

---------- Post added at 03:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 AM ----------

thanks.....:good:

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

thanks.....:good::good:

Currently there are no ROMs, there are only dumps. Please don't confuse the two as they are not nearly the same thing. Also, if you are searching for dumps, you can find the link in post one in this thread.

Hafford

Feb 3, 2012
Columbus
Sorry

I don't normally post on the forums I apologize for everything that I did wrong... Was just trying to give more information.... I have sdk and adb on my computer haven't been able to find the drivers... My tablet is fully functional and but when I type...... Su or reboot recovery into android terminal emulator I get a command not recognized. The only reason that I tried to boot into recovery via ROM manager is because the other options weren't working for me..... So you know where I can get the drivers for this tablet. Again sorry if I do something wrong its just that I normally don't post

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

It just stays on that screen for about 7 minutes and then reboots

Try leave the tablet WAIT some minutes with the android with exclamation point...it should reboot automatically into normal kernel...

crazykiddo

Sep 30, 2010
Manila
www.crazykiddo.net
I don't normally post on the forums I apologize for everything that I did wrong... Was just trying to give more information.... I have sdk and adb on my computer haven't been able to find the drivers... My tablet is fully functional and but when I type...... Su or reboot recovery into android terminal emulator I get a command not recognized. The only reason that I tried to boot into recovery via ROM manager is because the other options weren't working for me..... So you know where I can get the drivers for this tablet. Again sorry if I do something wrong its just that I normally don't post

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

It just stays on that screen for about 7 minutes and then reboots
Your not giving us any concrete information.
1. is your tablet rooted correctly??
2. in terminal type "su" ENTER and see..
Remember that root and CWM (Recovery) Is NOT the same thing...

Hafford

Feb 3, 2012
Columbus
Pretty sure i rooted correctly

In terminal emulator it says su not found..... But titanium back up says I have root access and also any time I open an app that requires root access super user asks me if I want to Grant or deny permissions.

Your not giving us any concrete information.
1. is your tablet rooted correctly??
2. in terminal type "su" ENTER and see..
Remember that root and CWM (Recovery) Is NOT the same thing...

nerotNS

Nov 8, 2011
45.2500° N, 19.8500° E (Novi Sad)
In terminal emulator it says su not found..... But titanium back up says I have root access and also any time I open an app that requires root access super user asks me if I want to Grant or deny permissions.

Ok so for starters you didn't answer half of my questions. Second if you read the OP that you've quoted, you would find the needed drivers linked. After that, did you change the default path in the terminal emulator and did you grant it superuser permissions?
Also, what did terminal say after you tried typing reboot recovery? Answer ALL of my previous questions and the news and then we can continue diagnosing what's wrong. Remember that I cannot help you in any way if you don't supply me with the information I asked for...
And for future reference, don't try any of this stuff without carefully READING the entire OP and instructions.

Sent from my ME172V using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

And also, an update for everyone else. I've been talking to ASUS again, and after several discussions, the guy from the support told me that he will forward my questions, bug reports, and source code requests to the his superiors and that he will come back to me as soon as he has any news/info.

Last edited:

alexontheweb

Jul 6, 2013
me172v 32gb

Hi all. I just bought the me172v 32gb tablet. My question is can i root my device. I have read entire OP and i only see for 8gb and 16gb. does this mean it does not work for 32gb. Thanks for help.

frank_que

Jan 24, 2009
Milan, but soon...Bangkok!!!
Hi all. I just bought the me172v 32gb tablet. My question is can i root my device. I have read entire OP and i only see for 8gb and 16gb. does this mean it does not work for 32gb. Thanks for help.

You can root your tablet using my utility if you have the right firmware version... it should work also on 32gb version...

Make sure to do a full dump before root, in case something goes wrong you can restore your tablet.

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

I have gone through all of the steps and I have put terminal emulator on tablet(can't get computer to recognize tablet) but I can not get it to load into recovery....I have tried getting to the recovery via rom manager but still no luck. Any help?

Why do you need to go in recovery mode?

Hafford

Feb 3, 2012
Columbus
Thanks for the Help

I figured it out guys thanks for the help. It was a corrupt download. I finally got a good download and the tablet is now rooted and flash with cwm. Now all I need is a rom to flash to it!!!! Again thanks for all of your help!

Ok so for starters you didn't answer half of my questions. Second if you read the OP that you've quoted, you would find the needed drivers linked. After that, did you change the default path in the terminal emulator and did you grant it superuser permissions?
Also, what did terminal say after you tried typing reboot recovery? Answer ALL of my previous questions and the news and then we can continue diagnosing what's wrong. Remember that I cannot help you in any way if you don't supply me with the information I asked for...
And for future reference, don't try any of this stuff without carefully READING the entire OP and instructions.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

And also, an update for everyone else. I've been talking to ASUS again, and after several discussions, the guy from the support told me that he will forward my questions, bug reports, and source code requests to the his superiors and that he will come back to me as soon as he has any news/info.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ASUS MEMO PAD 7 [ME172V]
    Asus-MeMO-Pad.jpg

UPDATE
    We now have root for latest firmware = asus-ME172V-WW_user_4.5.4.52875837_20140520

Attached to post :D

GET IT FROM THIS POST :D

GET ALTERNATIVE ROOT HERE (Copy.com)
    Remember this is based on the old root (manual) so READ THE README

===========================================================
    READ THE README.TXT INSIDE ZIP FILE !!
    ===========================================================

This thread is all about Asus MeMo Pad 7 (ME172V ONLY)
    will try keep this thread up to date when new things happend.

DOWNLOADS

==============================================
    AMPC BETA APP NOT FOR LATEST FIRMWARE!
    With root, unroot, dump, restore and much much more buildin.

GET IT HERE:
    LATEST VERSION
    LATEST VERSION MIRROR

This app has all the buildin tools for rooting, installing recovery etc.

REMEMBER THIS
    - You need to remove any version of the old script from your External SD Card before installing this (Move it to another folder or to PC)
    - The app is 35+ MB since it has all the scripts/root kernels etc. Included inside.
    - make sure your SD card is min. 4GB and formattet fat32 (And that it is active)

PLEASE PLEASE if you try it give feedback...any feedback please (suggestions, bugs etc.)
    WARNING:
    Remember this is beta and if for whatever reason you brick your tablet it is not our fault!

================================================

Roms:
    AMPC ROM NOT FOR LATEST FIRMWARE!
    THREAD

Mods:
    Circle battery + deodexed NOT FOR LATEST FIRMWARE!
    SystemUI

AMPC App added to Settings + deodexed NOT FOR LATEST FIRMWARE!
    Settings

Recovery (CWM):
    CWM 6 beta XDA Thread

ROOTED + CWM - Full Dump of System/Boot/Recovery FW : asus-ME172V-WW_user_4.5.4.52875837_20140520
    8GB : GET IT HERE

STOCK - Full Dump of System/Boot/Recovery FW : asus-ME172V-WW_user_4.5.4.52875837_20140520

Full Dump of System/Boot/Recovery
    mirror by HTC0017 (thanx buddy)

credits to uploader crazykiddo

8GB : https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/1C4110CAC33843DBA97D95EEABBB761AY?path=0
    credits to uploader zoyo149

Official USB Drivers:http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePAD/ME172V/ASUS_Android_USB_drivers_for_Windows_20130415.zip

Windows Drivers:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1815830&d=1363661561
    Note: Should be installed manually

Clear Data Zip: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePAD/ME172V/cleardata.zip (Thanx to nerotNS)
    Has been confirmed working.
    Instructions:
    Asus MeMO Pad ClearData SOP
    1. Download the "cleardata.zip"
    2. Unzip to MicroSD card
    3. insert SD to device
    4. press power bottun to boot
    5. choose clear user data by volume key and press power key to do the clear data

ME172V Bugs:
    - Debug mode on and USB cable connected to PC..pull out cable and suddenly battery is 0% and it reboots (not every time but often)
    - WiFi on/off (and others) toast message does not go away sometimes (just press it again on/off)
    - Screen is very dark from looking from top and down (portrait mode) (HARDWARE ISSUE)
    - Doing adb reboot bootloader or adb reboot fastboot bricks the device.

Feel free to talk about issues/bugs/files whateva u want as long as its the MeMo Pad 7
    Please don't ask about root/roms etc...
    If it is out its here if not then not out!!

The wait is over....the utility for root Asus Memo Pad me172v is here!

Please read carefully this post and remember before to do something...SKILLS REQUIRED! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR TABLET!!!

you need:

Of course, a me172v tablet (I've tested the utility on a 16gb version)
    At least 2gb Micro SD card with partition table formatted as FAT16 or FAT32!!! Pay attention...Micro SD less than 2GB and formatted as VOLUME without partition table doesn't work!!!

NB: Asus cleardata.zip utility has the same problem, won't boot on a volume formatted SD card...it needs partition table, if you don't know how to do that, look at this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/SD_card_partitioning do, step 1, 2 and 4 but skip step 3. You also can use linux gparted to do it.

Procedure to root me172v:

Download Me172vDumpUtil_v0.2.zip at the end of this post.

Unzip Me172vDumpUtil_v0.2.zip to / (root) of SD card

Make sure the battery has full power and TURN OFF your me172v

Insert the SD Card in the slot

TURN ON your me172v

After a while a dark blue screen with a menu with 3 options will appear: (if your tablet won't boot...probably you've made something wrong or your tablet is not compatible)

"Dump me172v flash and some info"

"shutdown"

"Restore me172v flash (previously saved)"

"Press [power button] to Confirm or [Volume up or down] to Select"

Press [volume up] key and select "Dump me172v flash and some info" pressing [power button]

take a cup of coffee...the process will take 6/7 minutes or more!

When the process is finished the tablet will shutdown automatically.

This procedure is necessary to have a system rom's full backup (without user data partition)

Now save all the files you will found on /me172v/dump to a secure place.

Now download Me172vRootUtil_v0.1.zip at the end of this post.

If you want you can use another micro SD card but with the same feature (Fat16 or Fat32 formatted with partition table).

If you don't use a new one, delete all files on SD card (after the copy of rom files to pc)

Unzip Me172vRootUtil_v0.1.zip to / (root) of SD card

Make sure the battery has full power and TURN OFF your me172v

insert the SD Card in the slot

TURN ON your me172v

After some while a dark blue screen with a menu with 3 options will appear: (if your tablet won't boot...probably you've made something wrong or your tablet is not compatible)

"root me172v"

"shutdown"

"unroot me172v"

"Press [power button] to Confirm or [Volume up or down] to Select"

Press [volume up] key and select "root me172v" pressing [power button]

When the process is finished the utility will ask you to remove the micro sd card, after you remove it the system will reboot.

Your me172v is now rooted!! :)

people who wants to know what my Root utility does, here's in sequence what will happen:

Step 1) backup to /me172v/dump on sdcard of partition 2 (boot/kernel), partition 7 (logo) and u-boot environment (MTD1, MTD2)

Step 2) replacement of partition 2 on device

The differences between the original boot image and the new one (the rooted) are located into these 2 files:
    File default.prop:
    original:
    ro.secure=1
    ro.allow.mock.location=0
    ro.debuggable=0

modified:
    ro.secure=0
    ro.allow.mock.location=1
    ro.debuggable=1

File init.wmt.rc:
    Original:
    mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /system wait noatime nosuid nodev barrier=0 journal_checksum noauto_da_alloc
    on property:ro.secure=0
    class_start eng

Modified:
    mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /system wait noatime nodev barrier=0 journal_checksum noauto_da_alloc
    # on property:ro.secure=0
    # class_start eng

And of course...the new boot image is not signed!

Step 3) Remove rsa pubblic key (variable wmt.rsa.pem) from u-boot environment (without the key...device can bootstrap with a unsigned imaqe!)

Step 4) Add busybox, su and Superuser.apk to /system partition and set relative permissions (busybox doesn't replace original toolbox)

Step 5) Change the boot logo

Step 6) When the process is finished the utility will ask you to remove the micro sd card, after you remove it the system will reboot.

If you don't want the new boot logo, you can restore partition 7 with DumpUtil.

Please refer for all info of the both utilities into readme.txt inside the zip files.

People who wants install a firewall app on me172v rooted:

Some days ago, I started to attempt finding a way to root me172v device because I needed a firewall app on my tablet.

Now I've made the utility to root our tablet, but I've tested various android firewall without success.

The reason they don't work is that original kernel on me172v was compiled without CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_OWNER option.

Read this: http://code.google.com/p/droidwall/wiki/FAQ

I don't have any experience to recompile the kernel or modules...but I think that no one was born fully skilled, I just need the time to learn how to recompile it with the right options. ;)

And of course, don't ask me now this mod, if I will achieve my goal....it will be posted here.

Change log:

Me172vDumpUtil_v0.2.zip:
    Version 0.1 - 19/05/2013: Initial Version
    Version 0.2 - 27/05/2013: Some bug fix (partition 9 was excluded from backup), added Restore function

Me172vRootUtil_v0.1.zip
    Version 0.1 - 27/05/2013: Initial Version

Download files from here: http://ampc.argdev.dk/

A very special BIG THANKS to Crazykiddo (also for the mini site) and NerotNS for helping me to test and improve these utilities.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK/RUIN YOUR TABLET IN ANY WAY.

SKILLS REQUIRED! IF YOU DO NOT KNOW OF WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT...YOU ARE (PROBABLY) IN A WRONG PLACE.

PLEASE DON'T SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGE ABOUT THIS POST, WRITE ANY QUESTION HERE!

PLEASE, DON'T INSERT THE MICRO SD CARD ON "POWERED ON TABLET", I DON'T KNOW IF THERE IS SOME AUTORUN SCRIPT, REMEMBER I'VE USED CLEARDATA SCRIPT TO DO me172vRootUtil!!!

This work was made in my free time.

Frank Que
    the wait is almost over ;)

The wait is almost over...tomorrow I'll post the new DumpUtil 0.2 (with also restore function) and the RootUtil 0.1....try to guess what this utility will do???

Just wait, we need time, Crazykiddo will ask to admins if it's possible open a tread for device, because now our device is rooted!! ;)

Have fun during this wait!
    Me172v rooted!!!!

Hello guys,

I've good news....I've rooted my me172v!

attached the screenshots!

Now i'm testing, and if everything is ok in the next week the public release!!!

Please don't ask me to have root now or send me private message about it...I'm working, just please wait!!!!

Frank Que
    Good news everyone! A guy from ASUS said that he will give me some info on recovery as well as fastboot. Brace yourselves CWM is coming :)

Sent from my LG-P350 using xda premium
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone