[Asus MeMo Pad 7 : ME172V] [All in 1 App] Roms, Rooting, Bugs, General

Search This thread

frank_que

Jan 24, 2009
Milan, but soon...Bangkok!!!
I am on version 4.5.4.11993466_20130201

I'm almost sure that rootutil doesnt work with your firmware version...

But you can try to use it anyway...

If it will not work (boot loop) you can reboot the tablet with the same sd card you have used for root and select option unroot.

It will restore your original kernel and uboot environment.

Sent from my ME172V using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

If you have already made the dump, put the dump of partition 1 (mmcblk1p1) somewhere I can download it (send me a private msg with link) and in the next days I'll make the version of rootutil that works with US firmware version.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

Sorry, i've forget that i need also partition 2, it better you zip and upload full dump...

nerotNS

Nov 8, 2011
Hello, I am having similar issues to someone that has already been stated in this thread:

Originally Posted by bengkelandroid
my device detect on win7 x64 "WM8950 usb device driver"
i try driver download from asus website still can't detect device, i try connect from adb "device can't detect".
what should i have to do without send device to service center?
--> my device still stuck on "download mode"
(...)

I was in the same situation. My tablet connected to PC with loaded driver for WM8950 displayed same android with yellow construction helmet.
Without connection it was in recovery mode (android laying on its back).

My way was:
1. dump (DumpUtil v0.2) - for safe
2. root (RootUtil v0.1) -> black backlighted screen after reset (because of no system update before - see story above)
2. unroot -> tablet works
May this scenario will be right for you.

Using DroidHD Utility Delux, I was rooting my ME172V and during the process my cmd closed. Now, no matter what I do, the Asus logo shows on re-boot for a second and then I get a screen that says "No USB cable connected!" on my tablet. I have tried every variation of button presses to do a reset, and it always comes back to the same screen.

When plugged into my PC I get a pop-up for WM8950. I can't find any flashing software will now recognize my tablet...

Help?

You've sent it to download mode, and we don't have the ASUS software needed to flash it. You can restore a dump, that should fix your problem.

For the record: DON'T try rooting this tablet with anything else, as most root methods do a reboot bootloader or reboot recovery which causes these types of loops.

crazykiddo

Sep 30, 2010
Manila
www.crazykiddo.net
Beta APP

Since our "beta tester" team has not given much feedback I will now release the beta of the app.

GET IT HERE:
http://ampc.joops.dk/app/

REMEMBER THIS
- You need to remove any version of the old script from your External SD Card before installing this (Move it to another folder or to PC)
- The app is 30 MB since it has all the scripts/root kernels etc. Included inside.
- Some functions are not complete and might be buggy (LOG and BACKUP OVERVIEW)

PLEASE PLEASE if you try it give feedback...any feedback please (suggestions, bugs etc.)

WARNING:
Remember this is beta and if for whatever reason you brick your tablet it is not our fault!

Last edited:

frank_que

Jan 24, 2009
Hello, I am having similar issues to someone that has already been stated in this thread:

Originally Posted by bengkelandroid
my device detect on win7 x64 "WM8950 usb device driver"
i try driver download from asus website still can't detect device, i try connect from adb "device can't detect".
what should i have to do without send device to service center?
--> my device still stuck on "download mode"
(...)

I was in the same situation. My tablet connected to PC with loaded driver for WM8950 displayed same android with yellow construction helmet.
Without connection it was in recovery mode (android laying on its back).

My way was:
1. dump (DumpUtil v0.2) - for safe
2. root (RootUtil v0.1) -> black backlighted screen after reset (because of no system update before - see story above)
2. unroot -> tablet works
May this scenario will be right for you.

Using DroidHD Utility Delux, I was rooting my ME172V and during the process my cmd closed. Now, no matter what I do, the Asus logo shows on re-boot for a second and then I get a screen that says "No USB cable connected!" on my tablet. I have tried every variation of button presses to do a reset, and it always comes back to the same screen.

When plugged into my PC I get a pop-up for WM8950. I can't find any flashing software will now recognize my tablet...

Help?

To solve android with exclamation point screen....leave the tablet WAIT some minutes (more than 5) it will reboot automatically into normal kernel.

To solve "No USB cable connected!"...on the top of right side of tablet there's a little hole, this is a reset button...press it.

With "DroidHD Utility Delux" you can't root me172v, the only app can be used is my rootutil (read the OP), any other wont work!

Last edited:
Reactions: crazykiddo
Aug 2, 2013
Just wanted to confirm this before I do something stupid, I rooted with a 4GB SD Card, and then switched back over to my 8GB SD Card. The 8GB card doesn't have any of the files from the root zip, so am I fine to install the app, or is there something I need to remove on the device storage itself?

frank_que

Jan 24, 2009
Thanks for the input. If I could get the tablet back into a normal boot sequence, I would attempt this way of rooting. However, I came across this thread after using DroidHD.

I have also tried the reset button. It reboots and does the same sequence (Asus for a second and then the no USB connected screen). Any other ideas?

Did you try to boot with sd card with dumputil or rootutil?

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

Just wanted to confirm this before I do something stupid, I rooted with a 4GB SD Card, and then switched back over to my 8GB SD Card. The 8GB card doesn't have any of the files from the root zip, so am I fine to install the app, or is there something I need to remove on the device storage itself?

Sorry but I dont understand your question...but I try to answer...

If you have rooted successful your tablet you have just to save the contents of dump dir of sd card you have used to a safe place, just to restore it if you want unroot it...

crazykiddo

Sep 30, 2010
Manila
www.crazykiddo.net
Yes you are, as long as you don't have the me172v folder in the root. After first run you can copy your dumps back if u want. But best to do a new backup using app.

Reactions: saifmobile

Gino.meee

May 14, 2013
Mandaluyong
Sup guys, sorry I've been very inactive, lots of stuff going on right now, and I've been very busy these past few months and have not been able to catch up with the developments
I've seen the new application and will install it on my tablet soon, oh any anyone bother making an official video review or anything about the tablet? I can make one if anyone wants, as for the beta testing, I've been checking Gmail every now and then, nobody has emailed me for any further details about it yet, I would appreciate if you guys can email us for any updates

PS Hopefully in 2 weeks time I can get back to modding my tab, as I said I've been very busy

Sadly there's not much I can see on the website yet, rather than the new app, would anyone mind making an updates section in the webpage?
may it be from minor bug fixes to major new upgrades, other suggestions for the website would be a more friendly UI as the website is a little, not that nice... (lol sorry for being a bit high expectations, I'm sort of like that)
(I mean there are hundreds of easier/more user friendly website makers)(Blogger, webs, the list goes on...)

As for the video, I can make a review, or you guys, might want to make an official YT channel to upload vids about it etc...
I can help if you want by making how to's etc...

And that would be all my suggestions for now, BTW, Asus hasn't given the source code yet? :(

I can help out with the website, making of photos and generally, any UI for the website or program :)

Last edited:

nerotNS

Nov 8, 2011
Sup guys, sorry I've been very inactive, lots of stuff going on right now, and I've been very busy these past few months and have not been able to catch up with the developments
I've seen the new application and will install it on my tablet soon, oh any anyone bother making an official video review or anything about the tablet? I can make one if anyone wants, as for the beta testing, I've been checking Gmail every now and then, nobody has emailed me for any further details about it yet, I would appreciate if you guys can email us for any updates

PS Hopefully in 2 weeks time I can get back to modding my tab, as I said I've been very busy

Sadly there's not much I can see on the website yet, rather than the new app, would anyone mind making an updates section in the webpage?
may it be from minor bug fixes to major new upgrades, other suggestions for the website would be a more friendly UI as the website is a little, not that nice... (lol sorry for being a bit high expectations, I'm sort of like that)
(I mean there are hundreds of easier/more user friendly website makers)(Blogger, webs, the list goes on...)

As for the video, I can make a review, or you guys, might want to make an official YT channel to upload vids about it etc...

And that would be all my suggestions for now, BTW, Asus hasn't given the source code yet? :(

I can help out with the website, making of photos and generally, any UI for the website or program :)

Contact crazykiddo about the website, as for the videos I'm working on that. And no, ASUS still didn't give us the sources, but I'm waiting for a response from them about that.

Sent from my ME172V using XDA Premium HD app

crazykiddo

Sep 30, 2010
Manila
www.crazykiddo.net

You should have emails check your spam folder.
I have sent out a few to all beta testers.

The site is fine as it is, no need to change anything..we have what we need there..news, downloads, guides etc.
Again the website is for information and NOT to promote the tablet in any way.
So design does not matter and that is why its basic...take a look at slimroms site..basic and works as it should.

Anyways as for the video I think frank is doing some videos this week but your welcome to do any you would like. and we can add to thread/website

No need for YT channel, we only do this for fun. Also why we dont have FB page etc.
No need for that...we stick with XDA and website for now.

Reactions: nerotNS

crazykiddo

Sep 30, 2010
Manila
www.crazykiddo.net
App now added to settings ;)
Building a mini ROM soon....

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375901171202.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375901171202.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 241

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ASUS MEMO PAD 7 [ME172V]
    Asus-MeMO-Pad.jpg

UPDATE
    We now have root for latest firmware = asus-ME172V-WW_user_4.5.4.52875837_20140520

Attached to post :D

GET IT FROM THIS POST :D

GET ALTERNATIVE ROOT HERE (Copy.com)
    Remember this is based on the old root (manual) so READ THE README

===========================================================
    READ THE README.TXT INSIDE ZIP FILE !!
    ===========================================================

This thread is all about Asus MeMo Pad 7 (ME172V ONLY)
    will try keep this thread up to date when new things happend.

DOWNLOADS

==============================================
    AMPC BETA APP NOT FOR LATEST FIRMWARE!
    With root, unroot, dump, restore and much much more buildin.

GET IT HERE:
    LATEST VERSION
    LATEST VERSION MIRROR

This app has all the buildin tools for rooting, installing recovery etc.

REMEMBER THIS
    - You need to remove any version of the old script from your External SD Card before installing this (Move it to another folder or to PC)
    - The app is 35+ MB since it has all the scripts/root kernels etc. Included inside.
    - make sure your SD card is min. 4GB and formattet fat32 (And that it is active)

PLEASE PLEASE if you try it give feedback...any feedback please (suggestions, bugs etc.)
    WARNING:
    Remember this is beta and if for whatever reason you brick your tablet it is not our fault!

================================================

Roms:
    AMPC ROM NOT FOR LATEST FIRMWARE!
    THREAD

Mods:
    Circle battery + deodexed NOT FOR LATEST FIRMWARE!
    SystemUI

AMPC App added to Settings + deodexed NOT FOR LATEST FIRMWARE!
    Settings

Recovery (CWM):
    CWM 6 beta XDA Thread

ROOTED + CWM - Full Dump of System/Boot/Recovery FW : asus-ME172V-WW_user_4.5.4.52875837_20140520
    8GB : GET IT HERE

STOCK - Full Dump of System/Boot/Recovery FW : asus-ME172V-WW_user_4.5.4.52875837_20140520

Full Dump of System/Boot/Recovery
    mirror by HTC0017 (thanx buddy)

credits to uploader crazykiddo

8GB : https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/1C4110CAC33843DBA97D95EEABBB761AY?path=0
    credits to uploader zoyo149

Official USB Drivers:http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePAD/ME172V/ASUS_Android_USB_drivers_for_Windows_20130415.zip

Windows Drivers:
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1815830&d=1363661561
    Note: Should be installed manually

Clear Data Zip: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePAD/ME172V/cleardata.zip (Thanx to nerotNS)
    Has been confirmed working.
    Instructions:
    Asus MeMO Pad ClearData SOP
    1. Download the "cleardata.zip"
    2. Unzip to MicroSD card
    3. insert SD to device
    4. press power bottun to boot
    5. choose clear user data by volume key and press power key to do the clear data

ME172V Bugs:
    - Debug mode on and USB cable connected to PC..pull out cable and suddenly battery is 0% and it reboots (not every time but often)
    - WiFi on/off (and others) toast message does not go away sometimes (just press it again on/off)
    - Screen is very dark from looking from top and down (portrait mode) (HARDWARE ISSUE)
    - Doing adb reboot bootloader or adb reboot fastboot bricks the device.

Feel free to talk about issues/bugs/files whateva u want as long as its the MeMo Pad 7
    Please don't ask about root/roms etc...
    If it is out its here if not then not out!!

The wait is over....the utility for root Asus Memo Pad me172v is here!

Please read carefully this post and remember before to do something...SKILLS REQUIRED! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR TABLET!!!

you need:

Of course, a me172v tablet (I've tested the utility on a 16gb version)
    At least 2gb Micro SD card with partition table formatted as FAT16 or FAT32!!! Pay attention...Micro SD less than 2GB and formatted as VOLUME without partition table doesn't work!!!

NB: Asus cleardata.zip utility has the same problem, won't boot on a volume formatted SD card...it needs partition table, if you don't know how to do that, look at this post: http://xdaforums.com/wiki/SD_card_partitioning do, step 1, 2 and 4 but skip step 3. You also can use linux gparted to do it.

Procedure to root me172v:

Download Me172vDumpUtil_v0.2.zip at the end of this post.

Unzip Me172vDumpUtil_v0.2.zip to / (root) of SD card

Make sure the battery has full power and TURN OFF your me172v

Insert the SD Card in the slot

TURN ON your me172v

After a while a dark blue screen with a menu with 3 options will appear: (if your tablet won't boot...probably you've made something wrong or your tablet is not compatible)

"Dump me172v flash and some info"

"shutdown"

"Restore me172v flash (previously saved)"

"Press [power button] to Confirm or [Volume up or down] to Select"

Press [volume up] key and select "Dump me172v flash and some info" pressing [power button]

take a cup of coffee...the process will take 6/7 minutes or more!

When the process is finished the tablet will shutdown automatically.

This procedure is necessary to have a system rom's full backup (without user data partition)

Now save all the files you will found on /me172v/dump to a secure place.

Now download Me172vRootUtil_v0.1.zip at the end of this post.

If you want you can use another micro SD card but with the same feature (Fat16 or Fat32 formatted with partition table).

If you don't use a new one, delete all files on SD card (after the copy of rom files to pc)

Unzip Me172vRootUtil_v0.1.zip to / (root) of SD card

Make sure the battery has full power and TURN OFF your me172v

insert the SD Card in the slot

TURN ON your me172v

After some while a dark blue screen with a menu with 3 options will appear: (if your tablet won't boot...probably you've made something wrong or your tablet is not compatible)

"root me172v"

"shutdown"

"unroot me172v"

"Press [power button] to Confirm or [Volume up or down] to Select"

Press [volume up] key and select "root me172v" pressing [power button]

When the process is finished the utility will ask you to remove the micro sd card, after you remove it the system will reboot.

Your me172v is now rooted!! :)

people who wants to know what my Root utility does, here's in sequence what will happen:

Step 1) backup to /me172v/dump on sdcard of partition 2 (boot/kernel), partition 7 (logo) and u-boot environment (MTD1, MTD2)

Step 2) replacement of partition 2 on device

The differences between the original boot image and the new one (the rooted) are located into these 2 files:
    File default.prop:
    original:
    ro.secure=1
    ro.allow.mock.location=0
    ro.debuggable=0

modified:
    ro.secure=0
    ro.allow.mock.location=1
    ro.debuggable=1

File init.wmt.rc:
    Original:
    mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /system wait noatime nosuid nodev barrier=0 journal_checksum noauto_da_alloc
    on property:ro.secure=0
    class_start eng

Modified:
    mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /system wait noatime nodev barrier=0 journal_checksum noauto_da_alloc
    # on property:ro.secure=0
    # class_start eng

And of course...the new boot image is not signed!

Step 3) Remove rsa pubblic key (variable wmt.rsa.pem) from u-boot environment (without the key...device can bootstrap with a unsigned imaqe!)

Step 4) Add busybox, su and Superuser.apk to /system partition and set relative permissions (busybox doesn't replace original toolbox)

Step 5) Change the boot logo

Step 6) When the process is finished the utility will ask you to remove the micro sd card, after you remove it the system will reboot.

If you don't want the new boot logo, you can restore partition 7 with DumpUtil.

Please refer for all info of the both utilities into readme.txt inside the zip files.

People who wants install a firewall app on me172v rooted:

Some days ago, I started to attempt finding a way to root me172v device because I needed a firewall app on my tablet.

Now I've made the utility to root our tablet, but I've tested various android firewall without success.

The reason they don't work is that original kernel on me172v was compiled without CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_OWNER option.

Read this: http://code.google.com/p/droidwall/wiki/FAQ

I don't have any experience to recompile the kernel or modules...but I think that no one was born fully skilled, I just need the time to learn how to recompile it with the right options. ;)

And of course, don't ask me now this mod, if I will achieve my goal....it will be posted here.

Change log:

Me172vDumpUtil_v0.2.zip:
    Version 0.1 - 19/05/2013: Initial Version
    Version 0.2 - 27/05/2013: Some bug fix (partition 9 was excluded from backup), added Restore function

Me172vRootUtil_v0.1.zip
    Version 0.1 - 27/05/2013: Initial Version

Download files from here: http://ampc.argdev.dk/

A very special BIG THANKS to Crazykiddo (also for the mini site) and NerotNS for helping me to test and improve these utilities.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK/RUIN YOUR TABLET IN ANY WAY.

SKILLS REQUIRED! IF YOU DO NOT KNOW OF WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT...YOU ARE (PROBABLY) IN A WRONG PLACE.

PLEASE DON'T SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGE ABOUT THIS POST, WRITE ANY QUESTION HERE!

PLEASE, DON'T INSERT THE MICRO SD CARD ON "POWERED ON TABLET", I DON'T KNOW IF THERE IS SOME AUTORUN SCRIPT, REMEMBER I'VE USED CLEARDATA SCRIPT TO DO me172vRootUtil!!!

This work was made in my free time.

Frank Que
    the wait is almost over ;)

The wait is almost over...tomorrow I'll post the new DumpUtil 0.2 (with also restore function) and the RootUtil 0.1....try to guess what this utility will do???

Just wait, we need time, Crazykiddo will ask to admins if it's possible open a tread for device, because now our device is rooted!! ;)

Have fun during this wait!
    Me172v rooted!!!!

Hello guys,

I've good news....I've rooted my me172v!

attached the screenshots!

Now i'm testing, and if everything is ok in the next week the public release!!!

Please don't ask me to have root now or send me private message about it...I'm working, just please wait!!!!

Frank Que
    Good news everyone! A guy from ASUS said that he will give me some info on recovery as well as fastboot. Brace yourselves CWM is coming :)

Sent from my LG-P350 using xda premium