Asus Mypal A6x6 WM6.5 rom version 4 (8-30-10)

Search This thread

Steven855

It's been pretty hectic over the past few weeks with me trying to finish up my summer online class that I'm taking, getting ready for the fall semester of my sophmore year of college, and trying to get rom building done. But I did manage to put together an updated "back-to-school" rom in the process. For those of you waiting on international version roms with WM6.5(.3), I apologize. I haven't had much time for rom building lately. However, international roms are coming soon (I can promise you that).

Thanks to Makuu (for helping to get me started), Lenny, AstainHellbring (thank you for all the nightly help sessions), the creators of the tools I used to make this rom, and anyone else that I failed to mention in name who gave me the knowledge to complete this rom.

Asus Mypal A6x6 WM6.5 version 4
Windows CE version 5.2.21911 (Build 21911.5.0.94)

This was tested on an Asus Mypal A626 (and works). It should work with the A686/A696, but the other models were not tested. Any other models NOT mentioned above WILL NOT WORK.

Updates
1. new compression type
3. os build
4. bug fixes

Additions (since last release)
1. none

Removals (since last release)
1. none

download: http://www.easy-share.com/1911728470/Asus_A6x6_WM65_4.rar

At this time, this will be the only download link. Mirrors will be created in the future (after I give permission).

Instructions (I have included a txt file with same instructions for offline convenience)

Before you do anything, make sure you have at least a 256mb SD card and a card reader (you can get one at a place like Radio Shack or Office Depot). You also need to install winrar (found at http://www.win-rar.com/download.html). Your SD card must be formatted with the FAT16 file system.

To format your SD Card with the FAT16 file system

Step 1: To do this insert the SD Card into the reader and go to "My Computer".
Step 1a: BACKUP YOUR FILES before you start!!
Step 2: Right-click the drive letter of the SD Card reader (differs for each computer, probably either E:\ or F:\ or G:\) and click "Format".
Step 2a: Don't worry about any of the options except for file system, choose "FAT"
Step 3: Click "Start" and wait until it is done

Step 1: Get (OS) rom image
Step 2: Extract files to any folder on hard drive using Winrar
Step 3: Go to the folder where you extracted the files in the RAR archive
Step 4: Make sure that the filename is "CANNES_A_WM6.img"
Step 4a: if the img file it's not exactly "CANNES_A_WM6.img", rename it to that
Step 5: Format the SD card if you haven't already done so using the instructions above
Step 6: Copy the img file to the SD card, see step 6a
Step 6a: Make sure that the img file is the ONLY file on the SD card after formatting
Step 7: Take SD Card out of SD Card reader and put it in the a6x6
Step 8: Make sure that the a6x6 is plugged in via ac adapter before doing the next few steps
Step 9: activate SD Loader using the following instructions {
Step 9a: Hold down the power button and enter button (that's the button in the center of the d-pad)
Step 9b: Double tap the soft reset button while holding the other 2 buttons
Step 9c: After double tapping the soft reset button, keep the other 2 buttons held until a blue screen comes up that says something like Asus Cannes flashing utility
Step 9d: Wait until the process is finished (it's near the end when it says "writing private")
}
Step 10: At this point, your a6x6 should reboot on its own
Step 11: enjoy your updated rom

If you have any questions, feel free to just post or PM me.

As I release new roms, if you have a support question, please give me the rom version so I know what rom you are working with. You can get the rom version from the filename of the rom pack.

Example: Asus_A626_WM614_1
A626 = device (most often it will be A626, will rarely be different), WM614 = os version, 1 = release #

frederickcar

Nov 15, 2007
Help!!! I need to downgrade to my original WM6 rom from this ROM, tried already the usbloader but it doesn't work....

Steven855

Help!!! I need to downgrade to my original WM6 rom from this ROM, tried already the usbloader but it doesn't work....

In order to flash the stock rom, you have to change two hex values in the IMG file. Starting at location 0x0C, there should be 2 hex values which read (in order) "09 04". YOu need to change those values to "36 D6". For those of you who think this is too advanced for you, I guess I should upload the WM6 stock rom when I get a chance.

frederickcar

Nov 15, 2007
What happens when you try to downgrade?:confused:

I haven't tried this release yet, but will after I charge up my device!

Thanks! I was able to revert back to my WM6.0 ROM already, using USBLOADER. Its just I did it the wrong way on the first time.

The WM6.5 ROM is great, I think my screen became more sensitive with this ROM. I just needed to go back to WM6.0 because I am using my Asus A626 mainly for my work. WM6.5 in my opinion, is best when you are using your device as a Portable Mobile Device.

Steven855

Thanks! I was able to revert back to my WM6.0 ROM already, using USBLOADER. Its just I did it the wrong way on the first time.

The WM6.5 ROM is great, I think my screen became more sensitive with this ROM. I just needed to go back to WM6.0 because I am using my Asus A626 mainly for my work. WM6.5 in my opinion, is best when you are using your device as a Portable Mobile Device.

Well, you could always try my WM6.1 final mix rom (which is long overdue). I will try to upload that sometime either today or tomorrow.

imre00

Oct 30, 2008
Bug report

Hi Steven,

This ROM is near perfect, Thanks for your work! One problem I noticed: In my A696 with these ROM I can't configure the messaging, if I select the new account the program goes directly to outlook mail, not to account configuration.

Can you release a cab fix or some registry entries for fixing the problem?

Thanks again,

Liopleurodon

May 11, 2009
Hello,

I really appreciate your work a lot, and I would like to upgrade the OS of my A696. However, do you have any Dutch versions of the 6.1 or 6.5 released?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:
I have another question too: how can I backup my curent ROM, so that I can revert to it back if something goes wrong?

Last edited:

imre00

Oct 30, 2008
Hi Steven,

This ROM is near perfect, Thanks for your work! One problem I noticed: In my A696 with these ROM I can't configure the messaging, if I select the new account the program goes directly to outlook mail, not to account configuration.

Can you release a cab fix or some registry entries for fixing the problem?

Thanks again,

Any news? Anybody has the same problem, or only my pda is in this situation?

coozoo

Sep 21, 2008
Vinnitsya
Hi, really great work! I will try it.
But few questions that is worried me. Please answer if you can.
1. First more important for me:
a. How much free RAM memory do you have in you device, when you just load your firmware without any startup programs (for example on my A696 with latest asus firmware free memory 32-35 MB).
b. How much free ROM is available for user? as I understood it is should be less comparing to default Asus firmware. And I have intension that is not correctly to compare it by image size :)
2. And another one: have it original Start button and desktop like WM6.0? (Can you please provide few screenshots) I mean non finger oriented interface that I saw in a new smartphones, it's not comfortable for me I hate this )))
3. And last question ASUSstatus utility Is present here? it is very nice utility for set CPU or usb mode.

Hope it's not to much questions, and not very hard.
And again big work thanks a lot.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Somebody have asked you about host usb. I think you are right it is used by BT. But this processor have another one if it is interesting for you, you can see it here 27895102.pdf (please search in google, because I'm not able to put external link here :( or try this int.xscale-freak.com/XSDoc/PXA27X/27895102.pdf) on the page 29. But I'm not sure that is exist the way to use it, even with hardware modification due that all processors pins are hidden from us. If believe to handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/MyPal696 only internal host usb will work, so addition of driver just will give a calm of soul for us that it is present )))

PS and sorry, hope my English is not to hard for understanding

Last edited:

coozoo

Sep 21, 2008
Vinnitsya
I've successfully installed it and....
Hey dude that's really cool (on the first look)
I will ask on my questions myself (ASUS A696) after boot next results
a. Free RAM 29-30 MB (I think it's enough)
b. Free ROM (inside storage) ~173mB (wow)
2. Interface is acceptable for me after changing few settings.
3. Yes ASUSstatus utility is present here :cool:

I'm happy, thanks.

Now I will try setup my favorite software I'll install nice virtual keyboard for three languages (or more MS still doesn't implemented it :confused:), videoplayer ... etc

I'll continue my testing.

And one question:
Maybe you can suggest utility for backup state of pda. I've used earlier spb backup Is it nice to use with this firmware? did you try it& I'm asking because I have bad experience with default asus firmware, after few rollbacks diffirent applications always crashed.

thanks. thanks. thanks..... :cool:

Steven855

I've successfully installed it and....
Hey dude that's really cool (on the first look)
I will ask on my questions myself (ASUS A696) after boot next results
a. Free RAM 29-30 MB (I think it's enough)
b. Free ROM (inside storage) ~173mB (wow)
2. Interface is acceptable for me after changing few settings.
3. Yes ASUSstatus utility is present here :cool:

I'm happy, thanks.

Now I will try setup my favorite software I'll install nice virtual keyboard for three languages (or more MS still doesn't implemented it :confused:), videoplayer ... etc

I'll continue my testing.

And one question:
Maybe you can suggest utility for backup state of pda. I've used earlier spb backup Is it nice to use with this firmware? did you try it& I'm asking because I have bad experience with default asus firmware, after few rollbacks different applications always crashed.

thanks. thanks. thanks..... :cool:
SPB Backup is still usable with WM6.5, but you have to download the latest version (it can be a trial version) from the SPB site (and make sure you have you key handy; the setup program will ask for it to install the full version). I've been using SPB Backup with all of my roms with no problems (I just didn't install it on the last 2 flashes due to time constraints). As far as video players are concerned, the ever-popular "TCPMP" works quite well. For video mode, just don't choose gapi as the video mode; the A6x6 has a bad implementation of gapi due to it being a landscape device and gapi (by default) assumes the device is a portrait one. The gapi issue is something that only Asus can fix (well, I could probably do it if I had more time on my hands and had some firsthand knowledge of how Asus implemented gxdma.dll).

Steven855

Speaking of gapi, does ANYONE know of a way to enable the virtual gamepad on pocketgnuboy with gapi enabled (since I am dealing with a landscape device; whenever I enable the virtual gamepad, it's there, but the area that the virtual gamepad uses is "blacked out")? If not, is there a way to keep the framerate from slowing down when disabling gapi on pocketgnuboy, OR is there another gameboy (color) emulator out there that has a virtual gamepad that you've tried and it ACTUALLY has a decent framerate (+ sound)??

bmasephol

Jul 29, 2008
Wisconsin
Steve - I know you are busy with school and what not but any chance you will be dropping the new ROM anytime soon, otherwise I'll flash V4 and test it.