• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How To Guide Asus ROG phone 5: unlock bootloader and root guide

Search This thread

bleach4u

Jun 17, 2018
ASUS ROG Phone 5
I just got a bootloop trying the bootloader unlocker (version WW-18.0830.2101.86) how would i fix this? this is my first non-samsung phone

EDIT: somehow fixed it by trying to install raw firmware but that failing and just repairing my current OS lol

Last edited:
Reactions: zinou213

Sheerazniazi

Jul 26, 2021
And if I can use this so please tell me the step by step procedure because i have brand new rog 5 and Don't know the bootloader is locked or unlocked.. I need to root this device

Anubarak16

Oct 24, 2014
ASUS ROG Phone 5
Yes bro I want to unlock the boot loader and root my rog 5 tencent edition
And this is the thread for it... You asked for a guide and your guide is the first post in this thread.
What else do you want?

The only thing you need to pay attention to is to download your correct firmware version.
The linked version in the first post is WW, you need to search for CN firmware.

Sheerazniazi

Jul 26, 2021
I
And this is the thread for it... You asked for a guide and your guide is the first post in this thread.
What else do you want?

The only thing you need to pay attention to is to download your correct firmware version.
What else do you want?

In my device I have tencent edition but seller flashed the ww rom in it. Now what to do ? How to root it?

Anubarak16

Oct 24, 2014
ASUS ROG Phone 5
Follow the instructions in the first post in case your bootloader is still unlocked (since it's already flashed) just skip the "bootloader unlock" part.
If your bootloader is re-locked you won't be able to root your phone as of now.
Asus let you only unlock the bootloader once and those re-sellers tend to unlock, flash WW and relock it.

There is no official public available way to unlock it a second time without paying money to more or less trustful people.

Make sure platform tools have been properly installed

It is recommended that platform tools is extracted to the root directory (C:\) on Windows or the home folder (~/) on Mac / Linux. Replace PLATFORM_TOOLS_FOLDER with the full path below.

Adding platform tools to PATH (Windows courtesy of LifeHacker):
  1. Open the Start menu and search for “advanced system settings.”
  2. Click “View advanced system settings.”
  3. Click the box that says “Environment Variables.”
  4. Under “System variables” click on the variable named “Path”.
  5. Click “Edit...”
  6. (Windows 7,8): Add ;[PLATFORM_TOOLS_FOLDER] to the end of the “Variable value” box. Do not forget the semicolon.

(Windows 10): Click “New” and paste the folder path where you extracted the Platform Tools. Hit Enter and click OK.
Adding platform tools to PATH (Mac / Linux):
  1. Add the following line to ~/.bash_profile (or .profile)
    PATH=$PATH:[PLATFORM_TOOLS_FOLDER]
  2. Open a terminal window and enter this command
    source ~/.bash_profile (or .profile, is used above)

I don't provide one on one support for rooting through PMs. That won't help the next person with the same problem.

Last edited:

Sheerazniazi

Jul 26, 2021

Make sure platform tools have been properly installed

I don't provide one on one support for rooting through PMs. That won't help the next person with the same problem.
Thank you sir but my device is not going to bootloader state. Power + volume key then restart to bootloader then mobile restrt again and not going to bootloader so I can't check bootloader is locked or unlocked

Anubarak16

Oct 24, 2014
ASUS ROG Phone 5
Seems like your device has a locked bootloader in this case. You could only try to use the unlock software but I doubt it will work - at least based on the current information. Maybe you are lucky and still on CN version without knowing it.

I really wonder why so many people buy a converted CN -> WW version. Doesn't Asus sell a normal version in so many countries?

Reactions: twistedumbrella

BILLYB187

May 9, 2014
Seems like your device has a locked bootloader in this case. You could only try to use the unlock software but I doubt it will work - at least based on the current information. Maybe you are lucky and still on CN version without knowing it.

I really wonder why so many people buy a converted CN -> WW version. Doesn't Asus sell a normal version in so many countries?
Pricing is much cheaper. Most people don't realize that band support is limited, and that the bootloader can only be unlocked one time.

Pricing is much cheaper. Most people don't realize that band support is limited, and that the bootloader can only be unlocked one time.

I went with a Tencent version from Taiwan (CN device / WW firmware) because 5G wasn't worth $300, but a lot of people probably thought they were getting 5G support from a listing that lied about it.

I still don't know if Taiwanese Tencent devices come preloaded with the WW firmware or the seller knew how to preserve unlocking, but it could still be unlocked. I doubt it was him, since he claimed to "not know" that the Tencent devices had a different set of bands.

Sheerazniazi

Jul 26, 2021
Hold volume up. Press power just long enough for it to turn on and IMMEDIATELY let it go, but continue to hold volume up.

Take your time. Rushing through everything is how you end up making mistakes. There are no awards for beating the current time.
It's not working bro.
I pressed volume up + power then I saw start, fastboot mode and restart to bootloader, when I click to restart to bootloader to restart again to this state in which I saw start , fastboot mode and restart to bootloader.
And I can't even see the bootloader is locked or unlocked.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Asus rog phone 5 guide

note: you follow this guide on your own responsibility. also You should note that unlocking via the official Asus app will void warranty and blacklist the device for future otas.

bootloader unlock:

! note that unlocking the bootloader will erase the phone, back up your data before starting !
    - install asus unlock application from asus website (direct link)
    - open the app, scroll to the bottom accept the user agreement
    -scroll to the bottom, click on agree. enter your pin
    - your phone should now reboot and you should see the warning message indicating that you have unlocked bootloader

! now if you don't see the warning screen and your phone was not formatted, this means this unlock method didn't work and you should seek other methods !

updating to the latest ww firmware

- download the latest firmware zip from asus website (direct link) to Version WW-18.0830.2101.86.
    -move the .zip file to your main storage directory.
    the phone should detect the update file, if it doesn't reboot your device and it should detect it.

after updating, set up your device, then install magisk app (download link)

extract the boot.img from the above software downloaded from asus, using payload dumper (google it).

then copy the extracted boot.img to your phone.
    install magisk.
    open magisk
    click install.
    choose patch boot.img
    once the patch is completed, copy the patched boot.img to you pc
    for further info, magisk patching guide
    on your PC you need to install your device drivers, and ADB & fastboot. and enable usb debugging on your device

flashing patched boot image
    - open adb, approve the request on your device
    - enter the command
    Code:
    adb devices
    you should see your device and authorized. if not find a guide how to access your device
    -next reboot to bootloader using the command
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    - in bootloader flash the boot.img from above using the following command
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    where boot image should be the address to the location of your boot image.
    if you boot image is on your D:/ drive and in a folder called rootstuff.
    your command should look like this.
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot D:\rootstuff\boot.img

once you flash the patched boot.img, reboot your phone.
    open magisk app, check your root status you should be rooted.

congratulations
    Sorry guys I forgot to mention you need the safety net universal fix module here's the XDA link I forgot to mention that in the video my apologies

I put together a video I successfully rooted the phone and passed safetynet. I'm not a YouTuber or anything I just took bits and pieces from this forum and posts and put this video together hopefully it helps somebody

Somebody successfully succeeded with the bootloader & Rooting this Asus ROG 5 phone?
    how did you open the bootloader? using asus app?

because it did not work before i rooted i was on 2101.86 at the time. i tried goind down to 2100.95 also did not work.

i had to rent a guy to do it via edl. which he is not sharing the method because he wants to make money
    I updated the firmware to the latest official version, extract the boot.img from the last official firmware, and installed the official unlock tool from the ASUS website, I just had to follow the tutorial.