How To Guide ASUS ROG Phone 5 working on Verizon (US)

Search This thread
tl;dr - I was able to get my ROG phone 5 working on Verizon in the US. I thought I'd let people know of my success and give a rough guide, but won't be able to support a lot of follow-up questions. Also, if this doesn't work for you, sorry - I'd not go out and buy this phone just on the basis of this post, but just relaying my success and saying that it's confirmed possible.

Rough steps:
  1. Get a ROG 5 from US Store. Others might work, but the model I have is ASUS_1005DC
  2. Add HD Voice and CDMA-Less Provisioning to your account either via Customer Service or VZW Corporate store.
  3. Get a 5G SIM from a Verizon Corporate store
  4. Provision the 5G SIM in something that the VZW system will accept, to get it associated with your account. (iPhones work great).
  5. Set up your ROG 5 (both in the sense of Google, and then dial *#*#3642623344#*#* from your phone app's dialer and then going into settings and turning on WiFi calling and 4G Calling.
  6. Insert (or pop-out-and-then-back-in) your SIM card (Slot1).

Hey all -

I'm posting here (after a bunch of lurking) to let people know that I got my ROG Phone 5 working on Verizon Wireless (VZW)- as far as I can tell everything works (except for Verizon video calling, haven't tried that yet), and I don't really mind since there are significantly more common ways to get this working.

These are the steps *I* went through to get my device working. They might not all be necessary. They might not be all-inclusive. =) I also mess around a lot to get my device up and running, so it's possible I didn't document something. Anyway, enough with the disclaimers:

1. I bought a ROG 5 directly from this link. (I don't know if any other models work, or any CN models with flashed ROMs work.). I purchased this one because I specifically wanted the one with all the bands in the US, and the Tencent one does not appear to have as many bands - and the specifications on many of the reseller sites are unclear (and flat incorrect). Note that there are many different variants. The part number that I ordered was ZS673KS-16G256G-BK, and the part number on the sticker on the device itself is ASUS_1005DC. My current OS version is 18.0840.2104.49.
  2. Based on poking around here and reddit, I found that people had gotten non-CDMA devices to work on Verizon by having HD Voice and CDMA-less provisioning enabled on their accounts. (OnePlus 7 Pro was the reference device I used). Note that if you do not have BOTH of these enabled, weird stuff may happen. (No phone calls can be made, texts will go into /dev/null, texts might be sent but not received.)
  3. You need a 5G SIM card. I had a 4G one from my previous (non-CDMA device), but just physically transferring did not work. (at least some combination of 4G sim card and not having the right flags provisioning enabled on my account). I just want to a Verizon corporate store on the advice of a Cust Service rep and they were able to help me out.
  4. You need to have them provision the 5G SIM card to a device that the Verizon system will recognize, because if you try to provision the card and tell the VZW system that it's going into the RoG phone 5 (using the IMEI), it will fail horribly. The VZW person put it into an iPhone 12, associated the SIM with my account, and then I put it into my Rog 5 (Slot 1) and both the phone and device were happy.
  5. You need to go through the normal google setup steps, and then type *#*#3642623344#*#* into the phone app to expose the calling via 4G and wifi calling options (and video options). I don't think this survives a reboot.
    1. Enable 4G Calling: Settings->Network & Internet -> Mobile Network -> SIM1 -> 4G Calling. (I also turned on 5G and Auto 5G here, seems to work fine)
    2. Enable WiFi calling: Settings->Network & Internet -> Call -> Wi-Fi Calling
  6. Pop the card into the device (or remove-and-replace) to get the device to renegotiate the settings.
    Icons:
    1623789609742.png

Carrier Banner:
    1623789580388.png

Phone calls, text, work (send-and-receive via Google Messages.)

Last edited:

Mr_Mooncatt

Sep 13, 2019
This is great news and hopefully can be confirmed by others. I'm currently on the LG V60, but with LG leaving the market, this is about the only phone of interest to me (or perhaps the ROG 6 by the time I need to upgrade?). So far, the only other info I saw on this was a Reddit post that mentioned only getting data working but no voice calls.

faericia

May 10, 2016
Thank you for the steps. I finally got the phone and can confirm It is working on Verizon. For me, I just did it with my previous 4G sim with no other steps other than enable the wifi calling. (I may have done the enable HD voice to activate ROG phone 1 on Verizon as an FYI). Either way, calls and text are going through the Verizon sim just fine.

EDIT: So, the phone part works for both inbound and outbound. Text is only outbound right now for me. One question though. If I reboot the phone, then I have to reinsert the sim after it boots in order for the voLTE to work again. Does this happen to you or did it happen? If so any fix?

EDIT(Final) : Everything works fine now. Used oneplus 6t to force verizon set the line properly then popped into the phone. Just need to redo the dial code after a reboot. Thankfully just turning off the sim and turning it back on works instead of having to take out and reinserting.

This is on the ROG phone 5 Ultimate that I purchased form ASUS USA store.

Last edited:

TheFerret09

Dec 8, 2014
This is great news and hopefully can be confirmed by others. I'm currently on the LG V60, but with LG leaving the market, this is about the only phone of interest to me (or perhaps the ROG 6 by the time I need to upgrade?). So far, the only other info I saw on this was a Reddit post that mentioned only getting data working but no voice calls.
It works. Got it going on my 5s

TheFerret09

Dec 8, 2014
This does work and even works with the 5S and pro model. The only caveat I've found is that every couple days I won't be getting messages outside of the chat feature in Google messages. So people who don't use that or have iPhones you won't receive their messages unless you remove the sim and put it back in. Not a big deal as every couple days I like to reboot my phone and I just remove the SIM card and put it back in while I'm at it. Then I go into SIM settings and disable then re-enable 4G calling and everything works perfectly

morphius88

Dec 12, 2010
OnePlus 8T
Sony Xperia 1 III
Can confirm these steps work on the RoG Phone 5S Pro (USA model). However 5G seems to not allow incoming texts through (will test that again later) so I have 5G turned off. Sim card removal is not needed though as @TheFerret09 mentioned. I just turn on airplane mode on and off for 5 seconds and the texts will come through. Haven't rebooted in over a week now.

If you are rebooting the phone, you will need to enter the code in step 5 again and disable and reenable 4G. Removing the sim card and putting it back in does the same thing as the code I guess?

Reactions: TheFerret09

TheFerret09

Dec 8, 2014
Can confirm these steps work on the RoG Phone 5S Pro (USA model). However 5G seems to not allow incoming texts through (will test that again later) so I have 5G turned off. Sim card removal is not needed though as @TheFerret09 mentioned. I just turn on airplane mode on and off for 5 seconds and the texts will come through. Haven't rebooted in over a week now.

If you are rebooting the phone, you will need to enter the code in step 5 again and disable and reenable 4G. Removing the sim card and putting it back in does the same thing as the code I guess?
After following the steps like putting in the code and re-enabling vo 4g after a reboot, occasionally I can't get messages to come through, but removing the sim did the trick. Next time it happens I'll have to try just putting it in airplane mode to see if that does it. Would be easier for sure.

But I'll randomly just not be getting incoming messages even though the volte icon is visible (for me that means everything is working). So that's when I will remove the sim. Hopefully airplane mode helps. Thanks for the heads up.

morphius88

Dec 12, 2010
OnePlus 8T
Sony Xperia 1 III
After following the steps like putting in the code and re-enabling vo 4g after a reboot, occasionally I can't get messages to come through, but removing the sim did the trick. Next time it happens I'll have to try just putting it in airplane mode to see if that does it. Would be easier for sure.

But I'll randomly just not be getting incoming messages even though the volte icon is visible (for me that means everything is working). So that's when I will remove the sim. Hopefully airplane mode helps. Thanks for the heads up.
Ya see if that does the trick. How is your experience on 5G? I dont have any actual 5G in my area, just the nationwide crap. In my initial tests, the 4G in my area seems to be faster than 5G while connected to a tower that has both.

TheFerret09

Dec 8, 2014
Ya see if that does the trick. How is your experience on 5G? I dont have any actual 5G in my area, just the nationwide crap. In my initial tests, the 4G in my area seems to be faster than 5G while connected to a tower that has both.
In my area 5g blows so I don't use it. 4g is far better and faster for the time being so I haven't had a good chance to try it out.

bhagiratha

Apr 22, 2010
US East
www.inselfyoga.com
After weeks of trying to get Verizon to place the phone on their DMD and enable CDMA-Less on my account, they just kept saying that the Asus_1005DC is not fully compartible with their network and will not activate it. That was unfortunate and I had to return the device.

morphius88

Dec 12, 2010
OnePlus 8T
Sony Xperia 1 III
After weeks of trying to get Verizon to place the phone on their DMD and enable CDMA-Less on my account, they just kept saying that the Asus_1005DC is not fully compartible with their network and will not activate it. That was unfortunate and I had to return the device.
Well, you weren't supposed to specifically ask them to add this phone on their DMD. You needed to follow the directions above more carefully. You should have placed a 5G sim card in a phone already in their DMD (borrow a friends phone or use your old one) and ask them to provision it as CDMA-less. Then you would transfer the sim into the RoG Phone 5.

bhagiratha

Apr 22, 2010
US East
www.inselfyoga.com
Well, you weren't supposed to specifically ask them to add this phone on their DMD. You needed to follow the directions above more carefully. You should have placed a 5G sim card in a phone already in their DMD (borrow a friends phone or use your old one) and ask them to provision it as CDMA-less. Then you would transfer the sim into the RoG Phone 5.
How was I suppose to know what phones they have on the DMD? The only other phone I had was a verizon LG V60.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    tl;dr - I was able to get my ROG phone 5 working on Verizon in the US. I thought I'd let people know of my success and give a rough guide, but won't be able to support a lot of follow-up questions. Also, if this doesn't work for you, sorry - I'd not go out and buy this phone just on the basis of this post, but just relaying my success and saying that it's confirmed possible.

Rough steps:
    1. Get a ROG 5 from US Store. Others might work, but the model I have is ASUS_1005DC
    2. Add HD Voice and CDMA-Less Provisioning to your account either via Customer Service or VZW Corporate store.
    3. Get a 5G SIM from a Verizon Corporate store
    4. Provision the 5G SIM in something that the VZW system will accept, to get it associated with your account. (iPhones work great).
    5. Set up your ROG 5 (both in the sense of Google, and then dial *#*#3642623344#*#* from your phone app's dialer and then going into settings and turning on WiFi calling and 4G Calling.
    6. Insert (or pop-out-and-then-back-in) your SIM card (Slot1).

Hey all -

I'm posting here (after a bunch of lurking) to let people know that I got my ROG Phone 5 working on Verizon Wireless (VZW)- as far as I can tell everything works (except for Verizon video calling, haven't tried that yet), and I don't really mind since there are significantly more common ways to get this working.

These are the steps *I* went through to get my device working. They might not all be necessary. They might not be all-inclusive. =) I also mess around a lot to get my device up and running, so it's possible I didn't document something. Anyway, enough with the disclaimers:

1. I bought a ROG 5 directly from this link. (I don't know if any other models work, or any CN models with flashed ROMs work.). I purchased this one because I specifically wanted the one with all the bands in the US, and the Tencent one does not appear to have as many bands - and the specifications on many of the reseller sites are unclear (and flat incorrect). Note that there are many different variants. The part number that I ordered was ZS673KS-16G256G-BK, and the part number on the sticker on the device itself is ASUS_1005DC. My current OS version is 18.0840.2104.49.
    2. Based on poking around here and reddit, I found that people had gotten non-CDMA devices to work on Verizon by having HD Voice and CDMA-less provisioning enabled on their accounts. (OnePlus 7 Pro was the reference device I used). Note that if you do not have BOTH of these enabled, weird stuff may happen. (No phone calls can be made, texts will go into /dev/null, texts might be sent but not received.)
    3. You need a 5G SIM card. I had a 4G one from my previous (non-CDMA device), but just physically transferring did not work. (at least some combination of 4G sim card and not having the right flags provisioning enabled on my account). I just want to a Verizon corporate store on the advice of a Cust Service rep and they were able to help me out.
    4. You need to have them provision the 5G SIM card to a device that the Verizon system will recognize, because if you try to provision the card and tell the VZW system that it's going into the RoG phone 5 (using the IMEI), it will fail horribly. The VZW person put it into an iPhone 12, associated the SIM with my account, and then I put it into my Rog 5 (Slot 1) and both the phone and device were happy.
    5. You need to go through the normal google setup steps, and then type *#*#3642623344#*#* into the phone app to expose the calling via 4G and wifi calling options (and video options). I don't think this survives a reboot.
      1. Enable 4G Calling: Settings->Network & Internet -> Mobile Network -> SIM1 -> 4G Calling. (I also turned on 5G and Auto 5G here, seems to work fine)
      2. Enable WiFi calling: Settings->Network & Internet -> Call -> Wi-Fi Calling
    6. Pop the card into the device (or remove-and-replace) to get the device to renegotiate the settings.
      Icons:
      1623789609742.png

Carrier Banner:
      1623789580388.png

Phone calls, text, work (send-and-receive via Google Messages.)

Does anyone know the correct code for the Rog Phone 5s (1005DC)? This one *#*#3642623344#*#* isn't working. Thanks!
    It will appear as if its not working when you type it in but you should get the extra options in "Network & Internet" settings to complete the process.