How To Guide Asus ROG Phone 6 / 6 Pro [ROOT GUIDE/SUP]

Search This thread

leathan

Sep 15, 2013
Hey, I have rooted a few of these and helped a few people as well and feel confident I can help most anyone with the problems they face rooting this beast. Also I'm posting this to have a place I can send people I help so I don't have to keep retyping stuff. From what I can tell the steps to root this phone are almost the same as the last model.

For now I will just post rough steps and use this as a place to provide support to people.

STEPS: (Rough guide/ please use other sources of information also)

1.) Fully update your phone

2.) Download the bootloader unlock app from asus official website. Also download and install Magisk. I recommend canary release.

3.) Get a patched boot.img or learn with a search engine how to extract the boot.img from payload.bin which can be found inside the large firmware zip files on the asus website (same link as unlock app but click firmware). Follow a tutorial.

4.) Turn on adb settings, and roboot into fastboot. adb reboot bootloader

For me for windows I needed to download fastboot drivers and go to device manager and install/update them.

5.) Unlock the bootloader with: fastboot flashing unlock

6.) Flash the patched boot image with: fastboot flash boot magisk_patched####.img

7.) Download safteynetfix and go to Magisk -> Modules and install safteynetfix.zip. Then go to Magisk -> Settings and enable Zygisk, and Enforce Denylist. Then turn on airplane mode and click on Configure deny list. add apps that are not working with root here, then delete their storage in App->Settings and reboot, remove airplane mode, and force close the apps in question.

For example select Show -> system apps. and add Google Play Store and Google play services to the deny list. Then go to App->Settings and delete both of those app's storage. Then when you reboot and remove airplane mode and force close google play and reopen it and go to Google Play -> Settings -> About you should see at the bottom "Device is certified".

If this last step does not show certified you did something wrong or I described it bad, check with a tutorial how to set up safteynet + configure deny list. Or post here and I will help you.

FINAL NOTE: After this the OTA updates that ASUS pushes will not be downloaded by our phone. We need to go to the same website we downloaded the unlock app from and we need to download the firmware files (WW for me) and put them in /sdcard/UL-ASUS-Al2201....zip and reboot. We then need to repeat the root process and the Magisk module process. Also I think we need to do this for every update along the way and cannot skip to the most recent update but not sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Navani and fux1976

fux1976

Jun 22, 2016
ASUS ROG Phone II
Hi! Thank you very much for sharing and helping. I have Tencent edition, from CN to WW, but a couple of things don't work properly:

- Android Auto does not communicate with my car (phone detected and bluetooth connected) bit app stops.

- Gboard voice dictation does not work (google assistant yes)

Country is WW. Safetynet passed. Play certified.

..I followed your guide.

I flashed the posted xda raw throuh fastboot and the the Magisk patched .img

When I tried TO apply latest updates (160) the Same message error appeared.

There is spmething strange (or are least I think It strange):

When I start in "fastboot" (black screen with capital text single line) my device isn'r recognized by PC. Then I switch to "recovery" and then to "fastboot" and a menu (several lines) with title "fastbootd" appears and the phone is recognized by PC (fastboot devices). If I choose bootloader the first screen appears.

I tried to reflash the raw but either the phone isn't recognized or a message appears on the cmd window showing "not rog 6" (more or less) and stops. But the phone is recognized everywhere as rog6...

I miss my broken rog2, it was much easier to root 😭

Do you have any idea what's going on? Or when the twrp boot will be released so that I can brutally flash any zip?

Last edited:

fux1976

Jun 22, 2016
ASUS ROG Phone II
Hey, I have rooted a few of these and helped a few people as well and feel confident I can help most anyone with the problems they face rooting this beast. Also I'm posting this to have a place I can send people I help so I don't have to keep retyping stuff. From what I can tell the steps to root this phone are almost the same as the last model.

For now I will just post rough steps and use this as a place to provide support to people.

2.) Download the bootloader unlock app from asus official website. Also download and install Magisk. I recommend canary release.

3.) Get a patched boot.img or learn with a search engine how to extract the boot.img from payload.bin which can be found inside the large firmware zip files on the asus website (same link as unlock app but click firmware). Follow a tutorial.

For me for windows I needed to download fastboot drivers and go to device manager and install/update them.

6.) Flash the patched boot image with: fastboot flash boot magisk_patched####.img

7.) Download safteynetfix and go to Magisk -> Modules and install safteynetfix.zip. Then go to Magisk -> Settings and enable Zygisk, and Enforce Denylist. Then turn on airplane mode and click on Configure deny list. add apps that are not working with root here, then delete their storage in App->Settings and reboot, remove airplane mode, and force close the apps in question.

For example select Show -> system apps. and add Google Play Store and Google play services to the deny list. Then go to App->Settings and delete both of those app's storage. Then when you reboot and remove airplane mode and force close google play and reopen it and go to Google Play -> Settings -> About you should see at the bottom "Device is certified".

If this last step does not show certified you did something wrong or I described it bad, check with a tutorial how to set up safteynet + configure deny list. Or post here and I will help you.

FINAL NOTE: After this the OTA updates that ASUS pushes will not be downloaded by our phone. We need to go to the same website we downloaded the unlock app from and we need to download the firmware files (WW for me) and put them in /sdcard/UL-ASUS-Al2201....zip and reboot. We then need to repeat the root process and the Magisk module process. Also I think we need to do this for every update along the way and cannot skip to the most recent update but not sure.
Sorry, I messed with the reply: it's my previous post.

leathan

Sep 15, 2013
Hi! Thank you very much for sharing and helping. I have Tencent edition, from CN to WW, but a couple of things don't work properly:

- Android Auto does not communicate with my car (phone detected and bluetooth connected) bit app stops.

..I followed your guide.

When I start in "fastboot" (black screen with capital text single line) my device isn'r recognized by PC. Then I switch to "recovery" and then to "fastboot" and a menu (several lines) with title "fastbootd" appears and the phone is recognized by PC (fastboot devices). If I choose bootloader the first screen appears.

I tried to reflash the raw but either the phone isn't recognized or a message appears on the cmd window showing "not rog 6" (more or less) and stops. But the phone is recognized everywhere as rog6...

Do you have any idea what's going on? Or when the twrp boot will be released so that I can brutally flash any zip?
I cant really help as I can't reproduce those problems. My phone was originally WW, but did you try to apply the non latest update? Then work your way up to 160?

leathan

Sep 15, 2013

..I followed your guide.

To answer some other stuff, did you try looking in Device manager and maker sure your android device/asus rog is listed without an exclamation? I was having similar issues on windows until I installed the usb drivers. You should be able to run fastboot devices from within the bootloader menu.

Reactions: fux1976

fux1976

Jun 22, 2016
ASUS ROG Phone II
I cant really help as I can't reproduce those problems. My phone was originally WW, but did you try to apply the non latest update? Then work your way up to 160?
Hi there! I flashed raw .134 and then the magisk patched boot .img as dedcribed in one forums guide, then tried to upgrade to .160 when I saw it on the asus support page. I was thinking of using edl and hard reset the phone and start again (in the next few days as it take times). I found a guide and tools (don't know if I can post the external link here). Do you think that could work? I downloaded raw .160 from the asus site (then i'll reflash the magisk patched boot).
To be honest it tickles me to try out this things (hoping not to end up with a brick of course)

fux1976

Jun 22, 2016
ASUS ROG Phone II
Hi there! I flashed raw .134 and then the magisk patched boot .img as dedcribed in one forums guide, then tried to upgrade to .160 when I saw it on the asus support page. I was thinking of using edl and hard reset the phone and start again (in the next few days as it take times). I found a guide and tools (don't know if I can post the external link here). Do you think that could work? I downloaded raw .160 from the asus site (then i'll reflash the magisk patched boot).
To be honest it tickles me to try out this things (hoping not to end up with a brick of course
To answer some other stuff, did you try looking in Device manager and maker sure your android device/asus rog is listed without an exclamation? I was having similar issues on windows until I installed the usb drivers. You should be able to run fastboot devices from within the bootloader menu.
I fortunately have several pcs so i switched to the one with no drivers issues. As written I can only use fastboot commands when the phone is in fastbootd mode (sort of recover looking screen). The bootloader mode (one line, capital letters) is not recognized by pc..that's why I was thinking about EDL and reflashing the first level boot. Is it hazardous?

leathan

Sep 15, 2013
To be honest it tickles me to try out this things (hoping not to end up with a brick of course

I fortunately have several pcs so i switched to the one with no drivers issues. As written I can only use fastboot commands when the phone is in fastbootd mode (sort of recover looking screen). The bootloader mode (one line, capital letters) is not recognized by pc..that's why I was thinking about EDL and reflashing the first level boot. Is it hazardous?
I would continue to try to get my PC to recognize my Phone in bootloader mode using the drivers I linked. After helping 2 people who had windows, on both of their machines, I had to install the drives. On linux is just worked.

Also the raw image that I linked is of 93 so you should have needed to download 95, 97, 134, and 160 from asus. Then after 160 I repatched the boot img and re-rooted.

There is another person who said after tencent -> WW she was able to update to 134 where she had some problem. But I don't know how to reproduce that stuff :( Hope you figure it out though.

fux1976

Jun 22, 2016
ASUS ROG Phone II
I would continue to try to get my PC to recognize my Phone in bootloader mode using the drivers I linked. After helping 2 people who had windows, on both of their machines, I had to install the drives. On linux is just worked.

Also the raw image that I linked is of 93 so you should have needed to download 95, 97, 134, and 160 from asus. Then after 160 I repatched the boot img and re-rooted.

There is another person who said after tencent -> WW she was able to update to 134 where she had some problem. But I don't know how to reproduce that stuff :( Hope you figure it out though.
Phone looks certified, country WW, safetynet passed and upgraded to .160. Only 2 problema left: voice dictation of GBoaed and Android auto not working.
I tried several ways but they didn't solve. Voice dictation worked and then stopped: I guess something interferes... Android Auto app crashes although phone connects to car and is recognised.
Very strange behaviour...

Do you have any idea on how to reflash last .160 zip without twrp? Once installed it gets ignored by system when saved in home directory...

Everything else is working properly.

finallau

Mar 6, 2015
london

..I followed your guide.

Keep spamming flashall_aft.cmd until it works or try flashing other raw.
This worked for me if your able to get fastboot devices listed in adb firstly

Reactions: fux1976

fux1976

Jun 22, 2016
ASUS ROG Phone II
I only have raw for .143 but I updated to .160*...can I use the previous version or do I get bricked? I don't trust anti roll back mechanism. I can live with this 2 "limitations" waiting for twrp and then be able to flash zip with no hassle.

*I downloaded source code from the Asus site but not sure how to use it (and unzipped is around 10 gb 😅)

Navani

Oct 19, 2010
Thank you for this! I've been out of the root game for years but noticed with your post that I can hide root from Google Pay and my banking apps, so thinking of trying this. One question though - you mentioned that official updates need to be manually downloaded and the phone re-rooted. Would this wipe the phone each time?

MrKioFLow

Oct 6, 2012
Anyone know if I root my phone following these instructions, will it factory reset or wipe my data partition? Sorry it's been a while since I rooted any phone, and I am excited about going this route 😄

vladaxx

Sep 11, 2014
Prague

Troubleshooting

1. Once you boot into the bootloader with the adb reboot bootloader command, stay on the screen with the green START. Do not navigate to the fastbootd.
  2. Use the side USB port to connect to your computer - not the bottom one.
  3. Run the adb and fastboot commands in Command Prompt as Administrator.
  4. Before you reboot into bootloader, remove Lock screen in Settings.
  5. If you execute fastboot flashing unlock and you got FAILED (remote: 'permission denied'), just ignore it.
  6. It's always better to install the latest updates, then download the firmware to your PC from ASUS Webpage and extract the boot.img and patch it in Magisk in the phone using this tutorial.

Reactions: insideoft

ignatttt

Jun 16, 2021
Thanks for the guide! Should add that you have to use the side port for fastboot to see the device. Was stuck for a while trying to figure out why neither mac nor pc couldn't find it when it was in bootloader mode - it was because I was using the bottom port lol!

Also if you want to disable verity and verification for the verified boot images, you have to do for both vbmeta.img and vbmeta_system.img. Didn't boot for me until I did that, and had to do an additional factory reset from recovery because of this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

..I followed your guide.

..I followed your guide.

Troubleshooting

1. Once you boot into the bootloader with the adb reboot bootloader command, stay on the screen with the green START. Do not navigate to the fastbootd.
    2. Use the side USB port to connect to your computer - not the bottom one.
    3. Run the adb and fastboot commands in Command Prompt as Administrator.
    4. Before you reboot into bootloader, remove Lock screen in Settings.
    5. If you execute fastboot flashing unlock and you got FAILED (remote: 'permission denied'), just ignore it.
    6. It's always better to install the latest updates, then download the firmware to your PC from ASUS Webpage and extract the boot.img and patch it in Magisk in the phone using this tutorial.