Question Asus Stock Camera App, Please !

Search This thread

adam.718

Nov 15, 2021
Hi XDA,
Can anyone please pull the stock Asus Zenfone8 app(as an .apk) so we can use it on custom ROMs ?
I compared the stock Asus camera app with all availabe apps before installing the LineageOS and the difference is huge, specially comparing it to the OpenCamera.
The stock app is way better.
I wish I can have it on my LineageOS now :(
Appreciate your help so much!

Reactions: Mecallie

Mecallie

Sep 16, 2011
Does not work in Lineage. I’ll see if I can get it from the original img.
Well, I was hoping it was some kind of img file. But it's a zip with a .bin file. Not a clue as to what I can do with that. Would be great to get the stock camera. The Lineage camera really sucks and I cannot get any of the gcam versions to work either...

Adaoh

Jun 13, 2021
ASUS ZenFone 8
If that helps, I was able to get OK results on the stock ROM from the GrapheneOS Camera app. You can get it from their github repository. Note that it is very basic and lacks any night mode or any kind of special features. Also I just noticed that it does not offer the option of switching lenses. Maybe it is possible but I didn't search on that subject. Here are some comparison images

Attachments

• IMG_20211207_202239_1.jpg
    IMG_20211207_202239_1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 93
  • P_20211207_202244_1.jpg
    P_20211207_202244_1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20211208_012249230.jpg
    PXL_20211208_012249230.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20211207_202639_1.jpg
    IMG_20211207_202639_1.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 94
  • P_20211207_202644_1.jpg
    P_20211207_202644_1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 91
  • PXL_20211208_012647924.jpg
    PXL_20211208_012647924.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 96
Reactions: adam.718

adam.718

Nov 15, 2021
Well, I was hoping it was some kind of img file. But it's a zip with a .bin file. Not a clue as to what I can do with that. Would be great to get the stock camera. The Lineage camera really sucks and I cannot get any of the gcam versions to work either...
Hi, I tested it as well and had no sucess. As a developer I also tried to unpack the apk and take a look, imeediatly noticed that it has some google dependencies which in my case a LineageOS with no google will not work, as well I saw some properties and configurations files so maybe these has some data related to the phone of the good guy who ported it out.
The stock camera app is way better than the most famous free camera apps out there, specially in night photography, the OpenCamera for example leaves you night photos so so noisy and it sets the screen brightness on max with no way to change that (not that I know).
Lets please keep this thread running to find out the best camera for this phone with AOSP and no google dependneces.

Winnie_LD

Oct 19, 2020
Tested the Witchaya Port of GCam yesterday. No luck with Version 8 (just crashes), but Version 7 first seemed to run. Yet it freezes the captured image constantly after 3 seconds. Tapping onto a different camera mode wakes the image again for 3 seconds - just to freeze again afterwards. Tried all of the supplied xml config files - no success. I'm running on latest LineageOS nightly without the GApps...

Reactions: adam.718 and Adaoh

adam.718

Nov 15, 2021
I believe if a good developer can take a look at the stock Asus app and figure out why it doesn't work.
Maybe it's just a deal of adjusting some configuration file.

On another thread, what's the best free Camera app you're using ?
I'm using the OpenCamera since it has lots of options, but its photo quality is not the best and night shoots are so noisy.

adam.718

Nov 15, 2021
Any news regarding cam so far? Been fiddling around with opencamera and the lineageOS cam, but the results are rather disappointing.
Would appreciate any further development in this case.
Thanks, happy new year!
Same exact situation here :(
Just gave the GrapheneOS camera app a try, it looks more promising, hope they will keep on upgrading it.
I raised an issue for supporting the ultra-wide lens as well, hope they will work on it.
It's good to keep an eye on this app, thanks to @Adaoh for mentioning it.
Happy new year!

Last edited:

Winnie_LD

Oct 19, 2020
Same exact situation here :(
Just gave the GrapheneOS camera app a try, it looks more promising, hope they will keep on upgrading it.
I raised an issue for supporting the ultra-wide lens as well, hope they will work on it.
It's good to keep an eye on this app, thanks to @Adaoh for mentioning it.
Happy new year!
Nice hint, thank you! Just installed it, seems to work fine except for the ultra-wide lens, as you mentioned already.

Adaoh

Jun 13, 2021
ASUS ZenFone 8
I have tried OmniRom, and it has an Asus camera port that works I will be asking the maintainer if he is fine with me sharing the APK.

Reactions: jaalai

Adaoh

Jun 13, 2021
ASUS ZenFone 8
Thank you @Adaoh ! Unfortunately it does not work for me. After granting access the app displays "Camera not ready. Try again later" (translated from german) and exits. Obviously depending on some other components not available in LineageOS...
Yeah they warned me about that on the OmniRom telegram group, a friend tested on his Pixel 4a and it worked, so I assumed it would have worked on ZF8

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

PhotonCamera​

Best camera app for LineageOS so far.

- It support Asus Zenfone 8 running LineageOS.
    - It support both lenses/cameras normal+ultrawide.
    - It has enhanced image processing and gives better image quality, better than LOS stuck camera, OpenCamera and grapheneOS Camera.
    - It has one issue; unable to save video after been captured (there's already an opened issue for that in their github, so I hope they're going to fix this soon).
    Download at:
    Here is the OmniRom APK
    Thank you @Adaoh ! Unfortunately it does not work for me. After granting access the app displays "Camera not ready. Try again later" (translated from german) and exits. Obviously depending on some other components not available in LineageOS...
    Tested the Witchaya Port of GCam yesterday. No luck with Version 8 (just crashes), but Version 7 first seemed to run. Yet it freezes the captured image constantly after 3 seconds. Tapping onto a different camera mode wakes the image again for 3 seconds - just to freeze again afterwards. Tried all of the supplied xml config files - no success. I'm running on latest LineageOS nightly without the GApps...
    Asus camera is dependant of asus framework . Most likely nogo to get it to run on non as roms.
    Its not as simple as config files, it much deeper integrated in asus framework
    It was worth a shot asking. Thankfully those are much less important features. Thank you for your help!
    Shamin gcam got working slow motion: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-shamim/f/dl6/