• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Asus zenfone 8 , I purchased a new Asus zenfone 8 dual SIM 2weeks ago . But the battery life is just shocking. Had anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Search This thread

Kmoussa

Jun 19, 2021
Hi all
Just wondering if anyone who has an Asus zenfone 8 are having trouble with the battery life ?
Thank you

Sebi673

I find the battery life ok but in need of some tweaks (hopefully) on AOD, 2t2w, wakelocks, cpu governors and so on.
Hopefuly they'll put the effort into it.

In my usage, i shut off the 2nd sim when i don't need it, aod, 2t2w/fingerprint is on (w/out the aod icon), reception set on 3g w/ occasional 4g, 120hz (not that much of an impact) but i restrict some of the apps that pool lots of resources and (with a few exceptions) i have most of the battery optimizations on (adaptive bat, managed auto-start aps, bg app mgmt, w/ bat draining apps off.

On an average day outdoors, spotify streams on very high most of the time to BT (aptx hd), some occasional pics/videos, plenty of instagram, some browsing and some youtube. I usually go to sleep w/ 20-30% left. Charging is done w/ shed charging and ultra steady charging during sched charging.

It is my opinion that the screen on very high brightness just eats through battery (I mostly avoid extended usage in direct sunlight).
While excluding the 120hz refresh rate, second battery hogs after the screen would be the 2t2w, aod and the general standby opptimizations.

I hope they'll address some of these but otherwise I pretty much love the tiny guy - there had to be a comproomise for the specs and pricepoint. :love:

Sam6536

Apr 3, 2019
Asus Zenfone 5Z
5-6 sounds about right . That's very disappointing considering it's a 4000amh battery . I would have expected slot more hours.
I think 5-6hrs with moderate usage is alright
First of all it has an 888 and flagship socs in general are known to have an higher battery consumption plus the higher refresh rate (and depends if you use 5g all the time or if you get a better reception in your area and other usage)

You can optimise some stuff in Asus autostart manager,disable aod (which consumes quite a bit of battery) and some other stuff and get slightly better battery life though

But Asus might optimise battery further with otas though

Reactions: badboys87

a7lanov

Mar 13, 2015
I got a root. After that, I changed the minimum frequencies of the processor (they are high in the drain, no matter what mode we choose). Chosen by a conservative governor. Removed all Google software. I set the refresh rate to 60 Hz. Disabled AOD. Sim one is 3g, the other is 2g. But I still get the same 5-6 hours. I have a suspicion that the reason for the fast discharge is the radio module.

5tormChild

By the way, what SAR level ZF8 has?
I have good signal 4G and 3G where my previous Note20 Ultra (865+) was often switching to 2G.
SAR value (head): 1,412 W/kg, SAR value (body): 1,582 W/kg (source)
I've attached the official SAR test report of the Zenfone 8, if anybody's interested.

Attachments

• FCC_Zenfone_8_SAR.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Reactions: dron39

majorwedgy

Jun 26, 2010
Had mine a full day and the battery is appalling! Come from a p30 with bigger screen, smaller battery and less efficient soc and the ZenFone is draining about 40% faster. Came on here to ask the exact same question!!

paul_cherma

Apr 20, 2021
Has there been any software update from Asus that improves the battery life? I've been reading that the battery is a big issue. I'm split between getting this phone or the Pixel 5. I'm currently using a s21U and have been using big screen phones the last few users but I'm ready to switch to a more compact phone, it's rare to find one nowadays. The market has more demand for big screen phones nowadays unfortunately and the current compact Android phone choices are very limited...

majorwedgy

Jun 26, 2010
So, having used a few days now it has suddenly got much better. I'm off charge since 7am and am writing at 4pm and I'm at 80%. Not massive usage - 1 hour screen time with a little Pokémon go in between which seems pretty decent to me. I've disabled 5g, have screen on auto refresh rate and running latest firmware. I do wonder if low signal strength causes disproportionate power drain, the office saw me down to 30% by mid day work virtually no usage at all.

Reactions: D0CT0RFATE

assasss

Jun 14, 2012
ASUS ZenFone 8
So I have Zenfone 8 since June and battery life is OK, I can get through a day. Saying that I am a pretty heavy user as I had to charge my pixel 3 twice in a day, while now when my father is using it, battery lasts for 2 days with 4-5h screen on time.

Here is my accubattery estimates. They have gone from 6h 10min to 6h 48m in the last week, so maybe the adaptive battery is affecting this.

Screenshot_20210805-201438569 (1).jpg

sen_ci

Aug 15, 2011
My basic settings:
5G disabled
Systemmode dynamic
Refresh rate set at 90Hz
Adaptive Battery enabled
Background management enabled
Adaptive brightness enabled
AoD disabled
Double tap to wake disabled
Face unlock disabled
Fingerprint enabled
Auto sync disabled

Reactions: D0CT0RFATE

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got a root. After that, I changed the minimum frequencies of the processor (they are high in the drain, no matter what mode we choose). Chosen by a conservative governor. Removed all Google software. I set the refresh rate to 60 Hz. Disabled AOD. Sim one is 3g, the other is 2g. But I still get the same 5-6 hours. I have a suspicion that the reason for the fast discharge is the radio module.
    So I have Zenfone 8 since June and battery life is OK, I can get through a day. Saying that I am a pretty heavy user as I had to charge my pixel 3 twice in a day, while now when my father is using it, battery lasts for 2 days with 4-5h screen on time.

Here is my accubattery estimates. They have gone from 6h 10min to 6h 48m in the last week, so maybe the adaptive battery is affecting this.

Screenshot_20210805-201438569 (1).jpg
    5-6 sounds about right . That's very disappointing considering it's a 4000amh battery . I would have expected slot more hours.
    I think 5-6hrs with moderate usage is alright
    First of all it has an 888 and flagship socs in general are known to have an higher battery consumption plus the higher refresh rate (and depends if you use 5g all the time or if you get a better reception in your area and other usage)

You can optimise some stuff in Asus autostart manager,disable aod (which consumes quite a bit of battery) and some other stuff and get slightly better battery life though

But Asus might optimise battery further with otas though
    By the way, what SAR level ZF8 has?
    I have good signal 4G and 3G where my previous Note20 Ultra (865+) was often switching to 2G.
    SAR value (head): 1,412 W/kg, SAR value (body): 1,582 W/kg (source)
    I've attached the official SAR test report of the Zenfone 8, if anybody's interested.
    So, having used a few days now it has suddenly got much better. I'm off charge since 7am and am writing at 4pm and I'm at 80%. Not massive usage - 1 hour screen time with a little Pokémon go in between which seems pretty decent to me. I've disabled 5g, have screen on auto refresh rate and running latest firmware. I do wonder if low signal strength causes disproportionate power drain, the office saw me down to 30% by mid day work virtually no usage at all.