• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Asus zenfone 8 , I purchased a new Asus zenfone 8 dual SIM 2weeks ago . But the battery life is just shocking. Had anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Search This thread

batjon

Nov 1, 2010
ASUS ZenFone 8
So, having used a few days now it has suddenly got much better. I'm off charge since 7am and am writing at 4pm and I'm at 80%. Not massive usage - 1 hour screen time with a little Pokémon go in between which seems pretty decent to me. I've disabled 5g, have screen on auto refresh rate and running latest firmware. I do wonder if low signal strength causes disproportionate power drain, the office saw me down to 30% by mid day work virtually no usage at all.
I suspect it's the searching for signal. My office is the same (with an old phone. I'm now work from home) and it would rinse my battery with barely any signal.

majorwedgy

Jun 26, 2010
Lol, I'm getting about half what you guys are complaining about. Have to say, given the six is more efficient and the battery larger, the battery life is incredibly underwhelming compared to my p30.

Screenshot_20210816-202523653.jpg

5tormChild

Be sure to let your battery deplete completely from time to time, as the battery gauge seems to be misalligned a bit!

I've installed AccuBattery Pro on my ZenFone 8 just like on any of my Android devices, and when it had 2% left (which seems to be scary, isn't it?), I've decided to let it run completely out of juice, so I've started YouTube, and when the battery was on 1%, that 1% meant another 100+ minutes of video watching, and another 500mAh of battery, which wasn't present by default.

Now I have over 3.600mAh of battery in my ZF8 according to AccuBattery, but most probably it will take another few rounds to "format" the battery and recalibrate it.

Having the battery mode on "Durable" also can help to prolong battery life, of course.
So far so good, I love my ZF8, it's everything I wanted after carrying my SIM card in my Unihertz Jelly 2, and carrying my ROG Phone 3 with me to be able to use WhatsApp for a longer time...

Last edited:

Kemez

Mar 28, 2011
Damn! I thought I'd deplete the battery just to make sure. And i couldn't do it! I run yt with max resolution and 60fps AND stadia at the same time on split screen for over an hour and got from 20% to 2% on full brightness and everything turned on (sync, gps, wifi and mobile, high performance mode).

I am now the 19h since charge and 5h SOT. Actually i get the impression that the highest mode is more energy efficient than dynamic and durable. Also leaving all apps hanging in the background doesn't do much.

Definitely the battery can do the job. We just don't know how to set it up :)

Harthouse

May 4, 2010
Subotica
Sistem modes: Durable
Refresh rate: Auto
5G Network: Off
NFC: Off
Automatically sync app data: Off
AOD: Off
Adaptive brightness: On
Adaptive Battery: Off
Background management: Off
Double tap to wake: Off

I leave the battery to discharge to 1%. When charging the battery, I turn on Airplane mode. It always charging to 100%. Maybe this will mean something to someone? 😊

Ane one important thing... I'm using 2 sim!

Last edited:
Reactions: amenthes

Kemez

Mar 28, 2011
From my experience the Durable mode doesn't give me more juice than Dynamic.
I confirm that disabling location improves the time.
I also have set 90Hz instead of Auto and I don't know which one is better. In the evening when it turns to durable it sets to 60 of course.
I have the rest of settings like you. I do have app sync on, however. Without that it makes no sense to have a smartphone.

majorwedgy

Jun 26, 2010
Well I can comfortably say that performance destroys the battery, in looking at c. Half a day using it. More I use the phone the more I wish I'd kept my p30. This just isn't a meaningful upgrade and in many cases a downgrade

Harthouse

May 4, 2010
Subotica
No! It's not all in the battery! Can your battery hold the whole day without charging? The phone is compact in size, cute, great performance, solid camera. It has strong hardware, pretty good, fluid software. By the way, I tested the speed of the phone and according to Antutu Benchmark, my phone is in fifth place!

Adaoh

Jun 13, 2021
ASUS ZenFone 8
Personally I can get around 3.5 - 5 hours SOT with the battery limited to 80%. My usage is pretty light, youtube, a little bit of browsing, discord and Infinity for Reddit. Also I noticed that the phone seems to drain fast when it is looking for cell towers, as when I am at home it does not drain so fast, but when I am moving it drains faster.

DeepAccursed

Sep 2, 2021
Getting about 5 1/2 SOT with the new .115 update over 11 hours use. Just as average as the exynos S21 I returned prior to it.

Screen set to 90hz, dynamic performance, everything on except AOD.

majorwedgy

Jun 26, 2010
Got a p30 back, Jesus to say it is night and day I've used the p30 more than I used the zenfone and ended the day with 40% at the end of the day where I had to top up the zenfone. There is clearly something wrong with the design of the phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got a root. After that, I changed the minimum frequencies of the processor (they are high in the drain, no matter what mode we choose). Chosen by a conservative governor. Removed all Google software. I set the refresh rate to 60 Hz. Disabled AOD. Sim one is 3g, the other is 2g. But I still get the same 5-6 hours. I have a suspicion that the reason for the fast discharge is the radio module.
    So I have Zenfone 8 since June and battery life is OK, I can get through a day. Saying that I am a pretty heavy user as I had to charge my pixel 3 twice in a day, while now when my father is using it, battery lasts for 2 days with 4-5h screen on time.

Here is my accubattery estimates. They have gone from 6h 10min to 6h 48m in the last week, so maybe the adaptive battery is affecting this.

Screenshot_20210805-201438569 (1).jpg
    5-6 sounds about right . That's very disappointing considering it's a 4000amh battery . I would have expected slot more hours.
    I think 5-6hrs with moderate usage is alright
    First of all it has an 888 and flagship socs in general are known to have an higher battery consumption plus the higher refresh rate (and depends if you use 5g all the time or if you get a better reception in your area and other usage)

You can optimise some stuff in Asus autostart manager,disable aod (which consumes quite a bit of battery) and some other stuff and get slightly better battery life though

But Asus might optimise battery further with otas though
    By the way, what SAR level ZF8 has?
    I have good signal 4G and 3G where my previous Note20 Ultra (865+) was often switching to 2G.
    SAR value (head): 1,412 W/kg, SAR value (body): 1,582 W/kg (source)
    I've attached the official SAR test report of the Zenfone 8, if anybody's interested.
    So, having used a few days now it has suddenly got much better. I'm off charge since 7am and am writing at 4pm and I'm at 80%. Not massive usage - 1 hour screen time with a little Pokémon go in between which seems pretty decent to me. I've disabled 5g, have screen on auto refresh rate and running latest firmware. I do wonder if low signal strength causes disproportionate power drain, the office saw me down to 30% by mid day work virtually no usage at all.