• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Asus zenfone 8 , I purchased a new Asus zenfone 8 dual SIM 2weeks ago . But the battery life is just shocking. Had anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Search This thread

napster79

Jun 10, 2011
Got a p30 back, Jesus to say it is night and day I've used the p30 more than I used the zenfone and ended the day with 40% at the end of the day where I had to top up the zenfone. There is clearly something wrong with the design of the phone.
I am also comtemplating to use back my P30 (One of the best phone I ever used). The only thing holding me back is the 120Hz Display. - How I wish P30 has that.

Kemez

Mar 28, 2011
Although I will not change my Zenfone 8 back for the LG V30, mostly due to way worse camera and used out battery, I have to admit that the V30 was seductive besides being brilliant technically for it's time.
ZF8 is proper and more advanced in almost every imaginable area (wired audio is worse) but it is not a phone that feels better, it doesn't connect with you.

I have no idea what is missing. Maybe the thing that it is not the best in anything makes it lacking character. V30 had the best hifi audio features, high res screen supporting Daydream, arguably leading cameras, and unmatched durability (mil standard).

I'll see the Xperia 5iii reviews and next year find something else. Maybe the ZF9 will have the motorized cameras in small size - that could do the trick!

majorwedgy

Jun 26, 2010
Although I will not change my Zenfone 8 back for the LG V30, mostly due to way worse camera and used out battery, I have to admit that the V30 was seductive besides being brilliant technically for it's time.
ZF8 is proper and more advanced in almost every imaginable area (wired audio is worse) but it is not a phone that feels better, it doesn't connect with you.

I have no idea what is missing. Maybe the thing that it is not the best in anything makes it lacking character. V30 had the best hifi audio features, high res screen supporting Daydream, arguably leading cameras, and unmatched durability (mil standard).

I'll see the Xperia 5iii reviews and next year find something else. Maybe the ZF9 will have the motorized cameras in small size - that could do the trick!
Know what you mean, personally find the ergonomics poor, almost every time I picked up the phone I double pressed the power button and activated my camera. Similarly, even though the phone is narrower than the p30 I found phantom screen pressed when single handed typing that I don't get on p30. Performance of evening from the snapdragon 845 onwards is at such a level that almost everything is smooth anyway so performance is virtually indistinguishable in day to day use. Nail in coffin is definitely the battery, considering the soc is supposedly more efficient, screen smaller, battery bigger than the p30 and it is easily 30% less screen on time and I am being Conservative with that estimation. Cannot emphasise how disappointed I was with this phone.

DeepAccursed

Sep 2, 2021
I can't even get the the Android Auto to work with my Skoda. Gotta say I am extremely disappointed with it and the S21 Exynos prior, thinking of trading it in for a Xperia 5 ii or iii if I can afford it.

Kmoussa

Jun 19, 2021
Got a p30 back, Jesus to say it is night and day I've used the p30 more than I used the zenfone and ended the day with 40% at the end of the day where I had to top up the zenfone. There is clearly something wrong with the design of the phone.
Couldn't agree more with your statement! I'm going to sell mine zenfone 8. I've had enough so much promised so little delivered.

Reactions: majorwedgy

majorwedgy

Jun 26, 2010
Very different to my experience, had the xz2c and until Sony ruined it with an update, battery life was never a concern. Literally from the day I opened the box of the ZF8 it was apparent that battery life was abysmal
I have no problem with AA on Honda cIVIC 2017. ZF8 works better than my previous Sony XZ2 Compact.

DeepAccursed

Sep 2, 2021
Also works on my mazda 3

I solved mine with another cable, for some reason the PD 30W cable I bought for the phone prevented connection to the Skoda, used an old type C cable it works fine. Android pay started working again randomly, seemingly after raised a case with Google themselves.

I've given up the 120hz, Battery life is fine for me now (on auto) and I'm getting about 6 .5 hours screentime. Disabled Bluetooth and WiFi location scanning and renabled 5G. 90% charging limit.

Mostly happy with the phone although Asus needs to be much more careful software updates.

Hoping and praying
I don't wake up with the phone bricked due to the ramdump issue. Keeping an eye on the Zentalk forum for how Asus deals with this ( may influence me to trade the phone in earlier, don't want a £600 paperweight)
Going to be checking for the Xperia 5iii as I believe it has a bigger battery. Can't see anything else coming out which is compact-ish , high end and Android.

Reactions: assasss

assasss

Jun 14, 2012
ASUS ZenFone 8
I solved mine with another cable, for some reason the PD 30W cable I bought for the phone prevented connection to the Skoda, used an old type C cable it works fine. Android pay started working again randomly, seemingly after raised a case with Google themselves.

I've given up the 120hz, Battery life is fine for me now (on auto) and I'm getting about 6 .5 hours screentime. Disabled Bluetooth and WiFi location scanning and renabled 5G. 90% charging limit.

Mostly happy with the phone although Asus needs to be much more careful software updates.

Hoping and praying
I don't wake up with the phone bricked due to the ramdump issue. Keeping an eye on the Zentalk forum for how Asus deals with this ( may influence me to trade the phone in earlier, don't want a £600 paperweight)
Going to be checking for the Xperia 5iii as I believe it has a bigger battery. Can't see anything else coming out which is compact-ish , high end and Android.
Xperia 5 III was my contender too, but the high price tag is kind of working against it. 1000€ is a bit too much for a phone (for me)

DeepAccursed

Sep 2, 2021
Xperia 5 III was my contender too, but the high price tag is kind of working against it. 1000€ is a bit too much for a phone (for me)
Yep that's why I would wait until about November / December time when here in the UK we get the best deals on phones and contracts.

I remember the Xperia ii had a black Friday deal last year down from about £800 to about £599 from Sony (Amazon and John Lewis were price matching) which I nearly bit the bullet but went with the Pixel 5 instead. Sold the Pixel 5 due to being bored and ended up regretting missing the Xperia ii. Hopefully we could see the same this year.

Kemez

Mar 28, 2011
Tested battery drain : with 2 sims, 100% wifi i get 1% /h standby drain
No sims, wifi on, 0,2% /h . Seems asus has poor mobile optimization
This is not poor. With 2 active sims that is actually quite good. Just think for a minute why the flagships of the top companies almost never get dual sim option (at least in Europe and America). If you need dual sim there are some downs to that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got a root. After that, I changed the minimum frequencies of the processor (they are high in the drain, no matter what mode we choose). Chosen by a conservative governor. Removed all Google software. I set the refresh rate to 60 Hz. Disabled AOD. Sim one is 3g, the other is 2g. But I still get the same 5-6 hours. I have a suspicion that the reason for the fast discharge is the radio module.
    So I have Zenfone 8 since June and battery life is OK, I can get through a day. Saying that I am a pretty heavy user as I had to charge my pixel 3 twice in a day, while now when my father is using it, battery lasts for 2 days with 4-5h screen on time.

Here is my accubattery estimates. They have gone from 6h 10min to 6h 48m in the last week, so maybe the adaptive battery is affecting this.

Screenshot_20210805-201438569 (1).jpg
    Just wondering if anyone who has an Asus zenfone 8 are having trouble with the battery life ?
    I'm not sure about everyone. I heard from some people on stock about 6-7 hours SoT, but i don't know how. 5-6 sound much real)
    I'm not sure about everyone. I heard from some people on stock about 6-7 hours SoT, but i don't know how. 5-6 sound much real)
    5-6 sounds about right . That's very disappointing considering it's a 4000amh battery . I would have expected slot more hours.
    Also works on my mazda 3

Hoping and praying