At&t 2.23.502.3 - 4.4.3 Bootable RUU - No PC required - Mac friendly

Search This thread

Wonders_Never_Cease

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 10, 2013
All this is null n void in order to run any Lollipop roms. You will not be able to run anything higher than what your current build(4.4.2,4.4.3) do not know what build number is for that specific ROM. Without s-off you cannot update firmware to newer.

Hi, the steps in the first thread are very detailed. However, I'm not certain how many apply to my use case which is keeping me from proceeding further. I'm currently running Liquid Smooth ROM on an ATT HTC One M8 S-ON that is rooted with the bootloader unlocked and I'm using TWRP for recovery. My ONLY goal is to get the bootloader updated so I can run the latest Lollipop ROMS.

So if I'm rooted with S-ON already with a custom ROM....what are the steps needed to flash this and get my bootloader updated?

italynstylion

Feb 3, 2014
All this is null n void in order to run any Lollipop roms. You will not be able to run anything higher than what your current build(4.4.2,4.4.3) do not know what build number is for that specific ROM. Without s-off you cannot update firmware to newer.

So now that Firewater doesn't work what do you do to get S-OFF? Sunshine's checker said my ROM must be "close to stock" and my phone failed the test.

Wonders_Never_Cease

Jul 10, 2013
Youd have to pay for it@sunshine to unlock your bootloader. And flash back to a stock rom Im guessing. Ive never used sunshine but have seen posts about being as close to stock as possible.

italynstylion

Feb 3, 2014
Youd have to pay for it@sunshine to unlock your bootloader. And flash back to a stock rom Im guessing. Ive never used sunshine but have seen posts about being as close to stock as possible.

Thanks again for the help. Assuming I can get Sunshine to work, what's the remaining process like? I'm familiar with using TWRP and flashing ROMS but I've never updated the bootloader ever.

Wonders_Never_Cease

Jul 10, 2013
Not very complicated...once s-off you can just change cid to BS_US001 and run the 3.28.1540.5 ruu and itll update everything to unbloated 4.4.4

rizzo269

Jan 16, 2011
MI
Decided to give this a run today since I have been waiting for the 4.4.4 update and had the itch to flash something. Followed instructions and had no issues at all to get it running. Phone seems to work great but probably mostly due to factory resetting after the RUU installed. Thanks for posting the file and instructions, it was the first run at any flashing on this phone I have done since I got it.

ForgeFed

Apr 23, 2013
RUU returns Update Size error when flashing?

Tried this today to get back to stock to take the 4.4.4 OTA.
I keep getting an error regarding the update size or something.
Won't finish flashing. It replaced recovery though, looks like it wipes system too.
Firmware isn't updated, system wiped.

I relocked bootloader, I'm S-ON. I've used this before successfully, but I've been using a GPe-based ROM rather than Sense. I didn't think it could repartition or anything without S-OFF, so I don't know if it is that.

I downloaded a Sense-based rom, reunlocked bootloader, flashed recovery, flashed Sense rom, relocked bootloader and attempted the RUU again.
Same error.

Thoughts?

im2c0ol

May 1, 2014
How do I lock my bootloader on my M8 ATT 4.4.3 Insert Rom before flashing this RUU then OTA to Stock 4.4.4?
I've been searching all day for HTC M8 no luck.

MuffinMan157

Jan 17, 2015
Stock Recovery?

My M8 is 4.4.3, with S-On and TWRP. My question is: can I run this with a custom recovery? My problem is since my phone's software version is 2.23.502.3, I can't find a recovery img with that same version for me to flash. Would this give me a stock recovery?

shoe-jitsu

Oct 16, 2013
keeps on saying "device halted due to large image update fail" its on external sd not unzipped and i verified md5

Were you ever able to get this sorted out? I'm having the same issue, although I know that using the RUU like this work because I've done it with the 1.58.502 one. I got that error and paniced, tried to go back to the 1.58.502 and I'm getting the same error... oops something seems wrong here lol

IS33D34DP30PL3

Mar 14, 2013
olympia
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Were you ever able to get this sorted out? I'm having the same issue, although I know that using the RUU like this work because I've done it with the 1.58.502 one. I got that error and paniced, tried to go back to the 1.58.502 and I'm getting the same error... oops something seems wrong here lol

I would highly recommend using a official ruu from HTC. http://www.htc.com/us/support/rom-downloads.html I do not remember how I fixed it but a ruu from the computer should work

IS33D34DP30PL3

Mar 14, 2013
olympia
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Quick question... do you know if you have to be S-ON to do this? Currently S-OFF and Unlocked and it seems to be taking way too long to complete the initial step of "sending" the update to the phone... sorry to pester ya

How long is it taking? Also as long as you're s-off you won't have to relock your bootloader or get s-on. If it hasn't gone past the initial sending update and you've waited like 30 min then try unplugging your phone and rebooting your computer. Your phone will stay in ruu mode and just plug her back in and restart the ruu

Reactions: shoe-jitsu

shoe-jitsu

Oct 16, 2013
How long is it taking? Also as long as you're s-off you won't have to relock your bootloader or get s-on. If it hasn't gone past the initial sending update and you've waited like 30 min then try unplugging your phone and rebooting your computer. Your phone will stay in ruu mode and just plug her back in and restart the ruu

Well, I figured out the problem... it was HTC sync manager messing with the phone while it was trying to install. I have a new problem though, it gives me the same error as the bootable RUU. Back to square 1 i suppose...

Reactions: IS33D34DP30PL3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HTC has halted this firmware due to battery drain. I'm sure another firmware will be out in a week or two. I'm sure if you just flash a rom afterwards there will be no battery drain, its probably just something in the software. This firmware will let you flash all of the "newer 2.**" international roms such as Viper etc.. properly with new sound drivers.

Confirmed working first by "italyforever" - I could not test myself since I sold my M8, just wanted to help others out. Confirmed working by several other members too.

At&t 2.23.502.3 Ruu has just come out and I have had requests for bootable RUU. Here it is first from me! Place this file in the root of your ext sd card and boot to hboot and hit vol up to update. If you are soff you do not have to lock boot loader. If you are s-on you must lock boot loader first. Please follow my guide for the 1.58 bootable RUU for any questions. It explains everything. Do not try to modify file as it is singed and encrypted by HTC and will cause issues if you mess with it. If you try to unzip it, it will say corrupt because this is an encrypted file. Just verify md5 to make sure your file is good. The restore takes 14-17 minutes. Plugging in phone is a good idea so there is no chance of battery dying. It will do a bunch of different unzipping and installing. It will bypass certain things too, this is normal. Let the update finish. It will say update complete press button to reboot. Do not touch phone during this process! This is ONLY for the at&t M8, no other variant. CWS__001 or 11111111 cid required. This will erase your phone like new so backup anything needed. I am NOT responsible for anything that happens! Please click my thanks button if I helped you.

2.23.502.3 bootable RUU - https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23622183712463537

Old guide - http://xdaforums.com/att-htc-one-m8/general/att-1-58-501-1-bootable-ruu-hboot-t2818556
    no one here has said that this work that's why i asked

Just finished restoring right now.

I came from Viper 2.2x, TWRP, and I re-locked bootloader before starting this RUU. I have never done S-OFF, so I was S-ON when I did this.

Reverted phone to 100% stock, no issues. re-unlocked bootloader and flashed viper again. Perfect.
    Just used this to update from `1.58 since I couldn't OTA. Works perfectly! I was worried at one point when it kept unzipping and updating the system over and over, but after about the fifth time it finished. Thanks again!
    This will give me stock recovery?

Yes, this will make your phone completely stock except it does not mess with boot loader or security "s-on / s-off"
    I need to update my base. Flashed and worked perfectly... I'm s-off and unlocked... So after flashing just fastboot recovery and flash new rom... = win! Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk