AT&T Customer Service and or CLNR (Certified "Like New" replacement)

Search This thread

A2Trip

Mar 2, 2012
Silver Lake, WI.
Just wanted to know if anyone else has had bad customer service or POS CLNR. I hard bricked my A2 last Sunday and I called in for a warrenty replacement since my father paid over $200 for a two year warrenty plan on it before he passed. They had no problem replacing after I gave a story along the lines of, "I had it plugged in my laptop as I was downloading and installing an update. It froze, I battery pulled, SIM pulled and SD pulled. Tried turning back on and would not." lol had to say somthing right? Anyway, today I get my CLNR and I can tell right away looking at the inside where the battery goes and the grill of the speaker on the bottom of the phone looked all gunked up with some black stuff. Tested stuff out and sure as hell, the speaker is trash, barely hear ANYYHING when before it would be TOO loud when turned all the way up. Can't hear calls coming through cuz the ringtones so quite. Can't hear text messages coming in. Anyway, so again I call AT&T and tell them about their CLNR they sent me and how upset I was since I already had to wait 3 and a half days for my replacement for a phone thats straight defective! After a half hour to fourty-five minutes I finally get off the phone. (Chewed my ear off!) And I now got yet ANOTHER replacement getting sent to me. But because my dis-satisfaction, they say they'll ship the 2 day instead of 6. But because it's Thursday she says I might not get it till monday or tuesday. What a buncha bull. When I was with big red, they'd ship me a replacement over night. I don't know, so far only a couple months on AT&T and I'm starting to see how crappy their customer care is. Just wanted to share and ask if anyone else has had to go through this and share their stories and suprise devices.
Here's the one I bricked: (notice the all black grill. No gunk)
475a6b15-1e8c-a14e.jpg

And here's the replacement I got today. (Notice the resin in it. Not cool)
475a6b15-1ebf-9179.jpg

Sent From My Rooted Motorola Atrix 2 on ICS 4.0.4 Running SCV7!!!

Last edited:

Jce9182

Feb 2, 2012
Philly pa
I had a similar experience. Mine came with stripped screws and now the screen is loose to the point where the front facing camera has nothing but dirt in it, and its basically unusable. If u push lightly on the corners they move a lot more then i think they should.I plan on getting another one soon.

leifemagnuson

Mar 15, 2011
Raleigh N.C.
I got mine replaced in Novemberish. Right in the middle of where the space bar is there is an oval shaped dull spot when the the screen animation starts. It has to be that grey dimpled color of the transition to notice. They said I could send it back and wait on a replacement. I didn't do it. They suck. But I've been with them sooooo long I won't give up my contract or update schedule to switch companies.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Jce9182

Feb 2, 2012
Philly pa
I got mine replaced in Novemberish. Right in the middle of where the space bar is there is an oval shaped dull spot when the the screen animation starts. It has to be that grey dimpled color of the transition to notice. They said I could send it back and wait on a replacement. I didn't do it. They suck. But I've been with them sooooo long I won't give up my contract or update schedule to switch companies.

my first phone had the as well, in the same spot. strange. im on my 3rd now

alteredlikeness

Mar 2, 2012
reflecting on Indra's net
Yea, my first replacement had some resin on it, and it had dust/fuzz and a dead pixel or black dot of some sort in the center of the screen under the glass, and it came already updated on 2.3.6..
The replacement for that is much nicer - like new - and came on 2.3.5.. it's a keeper.
Oh, and I got mine both overnight. The first one I paid 15 bucks, the second time the overnight shipping was "on them"

Sent from my phone's mind

Last edited:

A2Trip

Mar 2, 2012
Silver Lake, WI.
Is the common theme here that all these replacements were given through mail? As opposed to in person?

Sent from my MB865 using xda premium

Yes, in mail. (Fed-ex, UPS ect.) If it were givin to me in person I would have traded off bat but thats the roll of the dice with the getting the shipping. The closest place they said I could come in was about an hours drive so I said whatever just ship it to me. Not wasting my gas and I guess I can just put up with this till then. As long as I am on somthing right? Better then a brick lol.

Last edited:

A2Trip

Mar 2, 2012
Silver Lake, WI.
Yea, my first replacement had some resin on it, and it had dust/fuzz and a dead pixel or black dot of some sort in the center of the screen under the glass, and it came already updated on 2.3.6..
The replacement for that is much nicer - like new - and came on 2.3.5.. it's a keeper.
Oh, and I got mine both overnight. The first one I paid 15 bucks, the second time the overnight shipping was "on them"

See thats what the rep told me the cost would have been for a two day shipping that they "put on them" tonight. This replacement was supposed to be a six buisness day free shipping but came in three and a half. Weird. Think she meant over night? I dunno. My whole point here was not really to flame at&t just my opinion so far since being on it and wanting others opinons. No offence will be tookin just want feedback and I guess sum up how many other people have been screwed as well ya know? lol.

Last edited:

leifemagnuson

Mar 15, 2011
Raleigh N.C.
I think you are one of the lucky ducks living next door to a warranty service center.. normal at&t stores don't even have the A2 anymore, I don't think..

My girl walked into best buy two weeks ago with her broken best buy insured dumb phone and they gave her the a2 at no charge. Just had to change the phone on our plan when she got home.

A2Trip

Mar 2, 2012
Silver Lake, WI.
My girl walked into best buy two weeks ago with her broken best buy insured dumb phone and they gave her the a2 at no charge. Just had to change the phone on our plan when she got home.

Damn what best buy you go to? Hahaha.

qtqt710

Jul 19, 2012
Did you guys' replacement units have a refurbished sticker or something? I thought it would be a refurbished one, but mine doesn't have anything about that.

Reactions: rsprec1

A2Trip

Mar 2, 2012
Silver Lake, WI.
Did you guys' replacement units have a refurbished sticker or something? I thought it would be a refurbished one, but mine doesn't have anything about that.

You know I noticed that too. Came with the Don't text while driving screen protector type thing over it. They never specifically said it was a CLNR either but when I got it and saw I obviously knew. N it just pist me off cuz my pops just bought this like three months ago brand spanking new so yeah, had to call n let loose a lil bit.

A2Trip

Mar 2, 2012
Silver Lake, WI.
You know I noticed that too. Came with the Don't text while driving screen protector type thing over it. They never specifically said it was a CLNR either but when I got it and saw I obviously knew. N it just pist me off cuz my pops just bought this phone like three months ago brand spanking new so yeah, had to call n let loose a lil bit.

Edit: and the defect is clear as day. Look. This pic is the one I bricked on right. (Perfect speaker) and replacement speaker on left. Crazy man. Cant hear calls coming in when its ALL the way up! lol. Cant hear my texts, it kinda sucks. No music unless I plug in the aux.
475a6b15-42c8-d0c4.jpg

Last edited:
T

tmease1

I had to get a replacement for my wife. She has the original atrix and as soon as i took it out of the box i did not approve of it. It had scratches all over it. It rebooted the second that the home screen came up on its first boot. I was not to happy at this point. The next day i called att and had another one sent out. It was a hassle but the next they sent was like new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using xda premium

A2Trip

Mar 2, 2012
Silver Lake, WI.
I had to get a replacement for my wife. She has the original atrix and as soon as i took it out of the box i did not approve of it. It had scratches all over it. It rebooted the second that the home screen came up on its first boot. I was not to happy at this point. The next day i called att and had another one sent out. It was a hassle but the next they sent was like new.

Wow...see I'm glad I posted this. I'm not the only one. Hopefully this next one will be "Like new" or I'm going to call back pretty angry and let them know that I now know of other people on this carrier getting POS customer service or NOT Certified Like New Replacements. Crazy man...AT&T need to step their game up. Service wise.

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Wow...see I'm glad I posted this. I'm not the only one. Hopefully this next one will be "Like new" or I'm going to call back pretty angry and let them know that I now know of other people on this carrier getting POS customer service or NOT Certified Like New Replacements. Crazy man...AT&T need to step their game up. Service wise.

Well, you have to realize the "age" of the A2. Most likely at this point, MOTO and AT&T are not making new A2s anymore, so, so you will not get a new or mostly new replacement anymore. You will mostly get refurbs, so it will be hit or miss.

Jim

T

tmease1

Well, you have to realize the "age" of the A2. Most likely at this point, MOTO and AT&T are not making new A2s anymore, so, so you will not get a new or mostly new replacement anymore. You will mostly get refurbs, so it will be hit or miss.

Jim

That was my first worry with my wifes atrix. The second replacement we got for her was actually in almost perfect condition.

A2Trip

Mar 2, 2012
Silver Lake, WI.

Jim

Very true...almost would like to somehow replace this speaker with the one of the bricked. Just dont know the process of it and don't really feel up to taking much risks anymore after this first brick I've had out of 5-6 devices I have rooted and ROM'd. But again, you do have a point on the age thing. Hopefully this one'll be a hit! (Fingers crossed!)

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Very true...almost would like to somehow replace this speaker with the one of the bricked. Just dont know the process of it and don't really feel up to taking much risks anymore after this first brick I've had out of 5-6 devices I have rooted and ROM'd. But again, you do have a point on the age thing. Hopefully this one'll be a hit! (Fingers crossed!)

If it is not, just send back your bricked one, and also send back the other one you don't like. Then if you get another bad one, just keep it long enough to send back any other one you have to exchange and then do it all over again and keep doing that process until YOU are happy... F' AT&T and Moto. It IS their job to make their customers happy at their expense, not yours.

Reactions: A2Trip

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If it is not, just send back your bricked one, and also send back the other one you don't like. Then if you get another bad one, just keep it long enough to send back any other one you have to exchange and then do it all over again and keep doing that process until YOU are happy... F' AT&T and Moto. It IS their job to make their customers happy at their expense, not yours.
    Its not shocking to me. Ive known other businesses to do this. Because youre not there in person to see it and they know chances are that the customer will ask for another one,they ship the undesirable ones out in hopes that youll just say "whatever, im not sending it back and waiting again". Its a good yet dirty way to get rid of the phones that no one will take in person. Ive seen this same thing done for a lot of things.not just phones.

I am fortunate to have a warranty center close by. They've given me two brand new clean ones when i walked in after two bricks one day. i am sure if they have a couple of "odd balls" on the shelf ,theyll send those out.they wont waste money for a couple of dings if they dont have too.

Sent from my MB865 using xda premium
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone