at&t firmware on Sprint device?

Search This thread

mikeytsi

Aug 21, 2006
Renton
The thread you specified just basically says to use the pit file to repartition before installing, which I've been doing. The pit doesn't appear to be creating a mountable system partition at this point, which combined with the mmc failures I'm seeing is indicating to me strongly that the flash on this device is failing.

It would be great if there was a way to actually test the flash memory, but it doesn't look like that exists on a consumer level.

Mr. JAVI

Nov 7, 2018
South Texas
The thread you specified just basically says to use the pit file to repartition before installing, which I've been doing. The pit doesn't appear to be creating a mountable system partition at this point, which combined with the mmc failures I'm seeing is indicating to me strongly that the flash on this device is failing.

It would be great if there was a way to actually test the flash memory, but it doesn't look like that exists on a consumer level.

It would be but Im not sure how to test the flash memory and not to sure where you extracted the .pit from or what procedure you used. Try Post 60# and I also suggest making a BACKUP.
I dont blame you, I gave up on mine years ago. In trying to help you is when I found interest in trying to fix mine.

Last edited:

mikeytsi

Aug 21, 2006
Renton
There's no point in making a backup if the filesystem is broken, you're just backing up a broken filesystem.

I think I managed to make things slightly more functional by doing some repair actions in TWRP, I got system to show a size again. Still can't write an image though and I'm seeing persistent mmc errors.

Mr. JAVI

Nov 7, 2018
South Texas
Ok

Attachments

• A222.jpg
    A222.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 24
  • A111.jpg
    A111.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 24

Mr. JAVI

Nov 7, 2018
South Texas
I had to root the device to unlock platform so I could use it with the at&t sim. That was months ago and had no impact on running the stock firmware.

What firmware was that? Was it lollipop and system root? How did you root to sim unlock? Did you use an app to root?

You stated at one point in Lineage Os thread that you got an error 7 in TWRP. That error is usually thrown by flashing incomplete roms or .zips.

You could flash no-opt-encrypt-.zip 6. before you flash a stock deodexed rom but your the expert. Not to mention leaving an ATT sim in when flashing Odin Sprint firmware. The read or eMMc fail most likely is a hardware failer but with all the flashing of whatever you did without a back up well, I guess will never know. Who needs a backup anyway ;)

The custom stock rom tgat I suggested requires wiping system before flashing but you obviously know what your doing.

At least I got my Note 4 fixed.

Last edited:

mikeytsi

Aug 21, 2006
Renton
Dude, the pit file wipes system, in fact it wipes the whole internal flash. Have you ever formatted or partitioned a disk volume before? Same thing.

I'm getting persistent write failures even after re-partitioning, which is bad. I'm trying to see if I can get a good write on here but it seems to be degrading as I watch.

Ultimately it's not an unreasonable expectation, flash memory has a specific amount of writes you can reasonably do before the memory starts to degrade, that's just kind of how it works. And with a device that was released in 2014 and has seen regular use it could just be that the flash is becoming more and more toast. I'll keep trying to see if I can get a stable write to work with, but it's probably a losing battle.

On a positive note I should be starting work again in a week or so, so I'll probably be in the market for a new phone soon. I'm kind of hoping I can wait until next year so I can get a S11 or whatever Samsung decides to call the next device.

Mr. JAVI

Nov 7, 2018
South Texas
Congratulations on your new job mikeytsi. Excellent news. I sure would have liked to help fix your Note 4 . Really happy to hear you got a job. Awesome!!!

I noticed you mention an S6 before and I was looking into updating to a 64bit drvice that I could root. Never liked the Note 5, maybe the S6 but leaning more to ward LG V20. LS997 (root depends Firmware Version) What do you think? I know 8.0 bootloader locked and mo root for LG V20 LS997.

https://www.phonemore.com/compare/phones/lg-v20-ls997-vs-samsung-galaxy-s6-sm-g920w8/4597859

I see them on swappa in good condition 64bit /64gbs /4gb ram /big screen/removable battery/ nice looking phone for $60 or $80 bucks.

https://swappa.com/mobile/buy/lg-v20/sprint

Last edited:

mikeytsi

Aug 21, 2006
Renton
Yeah, an agency here needs someone to build deployment images for Microsoft, which is pretty much right in my skillset. I've done all the preliminary stuff, just waiting for the background check to complete and I should start on the 18th.

The S6 seemed pretty hardware common to the Note 5, without the stylus (which I never use anyway), is 64-bit, and the 64GB flavor seems pretty common. It also seems like something relatively new that would probably run Lineage 16 pretty well without being really expensive. I get pretty good discounts and stuff through at&t since I get the Microsoft discounts, and since the OnePlus seems to be working rather well (except the battery life is garbage and the "new" replacement battery was even worse) I'll probably just wait until Samsung announces the new model next year and get one of those.

Reactions: Mr. JAVI

Mr. JAVI

Nov 7, 2018
South Texas
That great, Im hoping all went well on the 10th. Im not totally sure but I thinkthe s6 and s6 edge have 3 gb ram where as the Note 5 and S6 edge plus have 4gb ram. How they all have the same chipset # but variety in ram is what Im confused about.
I like the Note 5 but the flat screen makes it look dated so Im hoping to find a S6 edge plus 64gb post payed device thats still in good condition.

Last edited:

dave678

Aug 17, 2019
That great, Im hoping all went well on the 10th. Im not totally sure but I thinkthe s6 and s6 edge have 3 gb ram where as the Note 5 and S6 edge plus have 4gb ram. How they all have the same chipset # but variety in ram is what Im confused about.
I like the Note 5 but the flat screen makes it look dated so Im hoping to find a S6 edge plus 64gb post payed device thats still in good condition.
Samsung decided to add more ram with those devices.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't dispute that the dm-verity issue is a problem, I just don't think it's necessarily the ROOT problem. Your assistance has been helpful, I usually like to get to the end of troubleshooting before I really know what feedback was ultimately useful.

On a more interesting note, I came to the device this morning with it throwing errors about mounting /data and /cache. I did wipes/formats of both of those, and it completed boot and initial setup, and I'm at the initial setup welcome page again. ???

I'm going to go through setup again (I'm going to skip any restores that use previous data and just do a new setup of the phone in case there's some corruption in a build) and see what happens.
    Im on TWRP 3.1.1 but there is a newer version for the Note 4 sm-n 910p TWRP 3.2.3-0

Did you get better assistance from LineageOs? I didn't think so because its not an issue with LineageOs but of DM-Verity. I also notice that as I had suggested mmc/emmc as a possible issue is also suggested in LineageOs thread. Seems to confirm exactly what I have suggested. Dosent seem better but less feedback of the same. ;) Not to mention that it was my suggest that confirmed this isseu of DM-Verity. ;)

I think you need to fix DM-Verity needs to be addressed before flashing LinageOs 16 unofficial build. Whats stopping you fro flashing the dm-verity .zip in the link I provided? At this point ? ???? I would if it was my device.

Afterwards, flash stock deodexed rom with knox and Itson removed and if that works then try LineageOs. Just follow the institutions in the link I provided.

I know how frustrating a DM-Verity fail is. Big time
    "You can lead a house to water but you can mae them drink" Good luck.
    Yeah, an agency here needs someone to build deployment images for Microsoft, which is pretty much right in my skillset. I've done all the preliminary stuff, just waiting for the background check to complete and I should start on the 18th.

The S6 seemed pretty hardware common to the Note 5, without the stylus (which I never use anyway), is 64-bit, and the 64GB flavor seems pretty common. It also seems like something relatively new that would probably run Lineage 16 pretty well without being really expensive. I get pretty good discounts and stuff through at&t since I get the Microsoft discounts, and since the OnePlus seems to be working rather well (except the battery life is garbage and the "new" replacement battery was even worse) I'll probably just wait until Samsung announces the new model next year and get one of those.