AT&T Flat out refusing to Unlock my phone

Search This thread

s44

Sep 25, 2010
I think they really don't get the codes into their system for a month. For CS access, anyway -- I'm sure they're hiding somewhere.

chocodough

Aug 28, 2003
Courtesy?

My question is this and as you say you work for AT&T so you might be able to give me a straight answer... If I DON'T get the phone at a contract price and pay the $639.99 why should AT&T care what I do with the phone then? I can understand them not wanting to share codes for a subsidized phone but full retail? What do they loose by not sharing the code? With the prevalence of services like cellunlocker.net they don't have the ability to keep the device on lock down.

I just don't get the big deal assuming one opts to pay full non-contract price.

I wish I had a good answer for you, but unfortunately I don't. I'm low on the totem poll.

Like I said earlier, from what I understand, they won't give out unlock codes for atleast 6 months for new flagship phones, regardless of if it was bought at full cost or subsidized.

I guess the higher ups do consider it a courtesy, since I don't think legally they technically have to unlock phones.

I know it stinks, and I do think it's a major bummer that they won't unlock a phone bought at full price.

mostyle

Nov 13, 2006
Langley, SC
I wish I had a good answer for you, but unfortunately I don't. I'm low on the totem poll.

Like I said earlier, from what I understand, they won't give out unlock codes for atleast 6 months for new flagship phones, regardless of if it was bought at full cost or subsidized.

I guess the higher ups do consider it a courtesy, since I don't think legally they technically have to unlock phones.

I know it stinks, and I do think it's a major bummer that they won't unlock a phone bought at full price.

Thanks for your answer. I do appreciate it.

It does suck and it's like salting a wound if I choose to front the full price but hey I don't make the rules..

rexxcastle

Jan 1, 2012

Hey guys, i have a brand new Lamborgini for sale for about 150k if anyone is interested, However you can only drive it around my neighborhood once you buy it.

Reactions: greekunit690

Solariis

May 1, 2013
Well, this is the only one I could find cheaper @ $29.99: samsungimeiunlock . com

A lot of unlock sites don't have the S4 listed yet but prices will probably come down to around $20 in the next few months. I know you're not going to wait that long and it should be free given your situation, but just trying to help.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

Also, there's another thread under AT&T GS4 Q&A section called "SIM Unlock" with quite a few replies on how AT&T does unlocks and other people's experiences. You may want to check that out. I'd link it but I'm too new of a user.

VtHondaGuy08

Jun 27, 2010
Burlington, Vt
They will if you buy outright.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367891157440.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367891157440.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 116

rexxcastle

Jan 1, 2012
They will if you buy outright.

Its been stated multiple times that the phone was bought outright.

Who exactly did you send an email too to get that response as no where in that image does it show who sent you that unlock code, that could be a cellularunlocker blah blah email for all we know

VtHondaGuy08

Jun 27, 2010
Burlington, Vt
Its been stated multiple times that the phone was bought outright.

Who exactly did you send an email too to get that response as no where in that image does it show who sent you that unlock code, that could be a cellularunlocker blah blah email for all we know

Read the bottom.

I called and spoke to tech support and they issue a case number and can take 3-5 business days. They send out to Samsung for it, I'm also a premier account.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367892021843.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367892021843.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 96

rexxcastle

Jan 1, 2012
Well, this is the only one I could find cheaper @ $29.99: samsungimeiunlock . com

A lot of unlock sites don't have the S4 listed yet but prices will probably come down to around $20 in the next few months. I know you're not going to wait that long and it should be free given your situation, but just trying to help.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

Also, there's another thread under AT&T GS4 Q&A section called "SIM Unlock" with quite a few replies on how AT&T does unlocks and other people's experiences. You may want to check that out. I'd link it but I'm too new of a user.

From what i saw there was less info in that thread than this one. Over the last week i have called ATT more times and talked to more reps than i can count and they all say the same thing, that is why i am calling BS on anyone who says ATT has unlocked their phone. If it were that easy at least 1 of the 20 different reps (phone and instore) would have been able to do it im sure

UPDATE: Ok i just called AGAIN, the answer i got this time was that my phone has an "exclusive model number" and that ATT can not submit an unlock request because of some "contract" with Samsung.

The stories im getting from these reps seem to be getting crazier and crazier.

Last edited:

_Burst_

May 20, 2010
San Antonio, TX
You could try what is posted on this page...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2023709

I just used this method to unlock my co-workers S3.
Maybe it will work on the S4?

"Just dial the following keys *#197328640#

Main Menu > [1] UMTS > [1] Debug Screen > [8] Phone Control > [6] Network Lock > Options [3]Perso SHA256 OFF > (after choosing this option, wait about 30 seconds, then go back one step by pressing the Menu button then select Back, now you are in [6] Network Lock then choose [4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ ..... wait for a minute then reboot your phone... enjoy!!!
"

Edit: Tried it myself. No dice. Code doesn't bring up the menu. Maybe a custom shortcut to this debug menu...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I paid full price for my phone, I have called and spoken to 5 different AT&T Reps and every single one of them either tells me "we cant do it" or that the "code isnt available" . With the new law thing i though if you paid full non contract price for a phone they were obligated to unlock for you?
    http://www.cellunlocker.net/

they did mine and it works great ..... nuff said
    :good:
    $32.99, that is ripping
    Search is your friend. There are several unlock methods ive seen posted on xda.

Care to share one of the several unlock methods for the S4 you've seen on here?
    Thats so weird. I just bought mine and its unlocked after talking to a rep. I think you just need to get lucky and speak to thr right person. I didn't use my upgrade I just purchased it straight out. Oh I did mention I was going overseas and that this is the only phone I have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium

Hey guys, i have a brand new Lamborgini for sale for about 150k if anyone is interested, However you can only drive it around my neighborhood once you buy it.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone