AT&T Note 5 (N920A) Teather Root

Search This thread

boodi

Aug 31, 2008
I wo
If you still have a device that is on a build before October/November 2016, meaning you still have a device with a Version 3 Bootloader (i.e. 3BPH4 or below) the device is still fully rootable. Using the ENG sboot.bin and Eng Kernel on a 5.1 based build you can' now root and reboot without a PC. Please read my current state of root thread.

Using the Eng Sboot, Eng Modem, and Eng Kernel, the device can be carrier unlocked and untethered rooted. But these files are based on Lollipop builds.

So if you have a binary 4 device now because you updated. You will want to find the PL1 Combination file (which I have) and then use the Eng Kernel with it.

I have not tested it fully with a Binary 4 Firmware because my device was a Binary 3. But I had Root, and did not need a PC to reboot the phone.
I would try to do it , it looks to me like I would need some more passage/flash though -other then the "standard" listed on the first post of the thread

I wo

I would try to do it , it looks to me like I would need some more passage/flash though -other then the "standard" listed on the first post of the thread
PM me, and tell me if what build is bootlooping. Most likely you just do not want to accpt an OTAupdate using a temp root & eng kernel. because the eng kernel has root access by default on the adb command line.

Reactions: boodi

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My knox was not tripped.

Highly recommend to have a odin firmware!

Tested on 5.1.1

Recommend to update to PB2, BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP may delete everything.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/kuvw79x83zrdpc9/N920AUCU2APB2_User_Binary.zip

A not much has been said in the thread, yes after Odin flashing the ENG kernel for our device and flashing a root script we can use rooted apps. @metalcated*posted a script that does push SuperSU into system/. This was originally posted in the AT&T GS6 forum. It's a potentially complicated process and if your phone shuts off, battery dies or you hard reboot you will be stuck in a bootloop, hotbooting works fine for Xposed. Will this method be practical for everyone probably not, but considering we were told the device was unrootable........
    Read thru his thread, then read it again, seriously do this. And if you still want to try, backup everything you can just in case you need to reflash via Odin to recover from a bootloop. Here were my steps.

1. Yes this needs to be flashed before the process begins, the script wont run with the stock kernel.*
    Here's a link to the eng kernel. Download and extract. Yes flash via ODIN, add the kernel file to the AP slot.*
    http://www.mediafire.com/?2i5aeu6pr0ms7io

2. The only file I downloaded and used was this one:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?m0b639pfnavjmha
    (G920a5.1.1.root.metalcated-v4.zip)

3.Save it and extract it on your PC

4. Verify Samsung drivers and adb are installed

5.***ENABLE USB DEBUGGING*** this is an important step.*

6. Plug device into PC open file and run root script. It'll prompt you to press enter a couple of times and reboot the phone. Just follow the on-screen instructions.

7. After it reboots you have root access.

Root apps that work for me: Titanium backup/root explorer/build.prop editor/no frills.
    I was able to delete all Knox apps and debloat the heck of the stock ROM. At no point did my device freeze, reboot on its own.

Let's work on bootloader unlock so we can flash custom rom, kernel and recoverys.

Thanks to Michael3214 for finding the method.
    Thanks to Metalcateds for scripts.
    Sure I'll send you a PM.

got it thanks alot metalcated

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Well.....i found the bit i need to change in the boot loader...............wow there is a bit more then a bit.
    Full Root or Teather Root?

Running On Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge G935A Wicked Dark Carnage Theme

From what I understand it's full root. Haven't gotten the marshmallow package installed yet to see. Still few bugs getting fixed.
    Roots and boots itself then randomly crashes (unavoidable) and bootloops the whole phone with Odin required or in this case sideboard of the marshmallow package. Root works though and can last from 5 seconds to a few hours. Very odd probably to due with kernel.
    im packin it in i guess......cant get past the selinux resetting its self from the bootloader. nothing works. SO!!!!!!! HERE IT IS!!!!!!!!
    ALL my files for the N920A. hope someone else has better luck then me. ;)
    http://h4ck3d.us/N920A/Factory/N920A_RootKit.7z
    New ENG. Kernel from my friends at AT&T the OFFICIAL AT&T Eng. Kernel.
    Root Script
    Updated SU Binary
    Busybox Pro 30 something
    Build.prop upgrades
    courtesy of TechNine66 and JeSTeRH4CK3D
    PowerSaving
    pm.sleep_mode=1
    power.saving.mode=1
    ro.ril.disable.power.collapse=0
    ro.build.selinux=0
    #ro.config.knox=v30
    ro.config.knox=0