AT&T Radio bands info

Search This thread

scifan

Dec 7, 2008
Does the AT&T M8 have the same radio bands/frequencies as the developer edition?

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
As far as the specs listed, and as far as I know, yes.

Although some folks have found that the versions sometimes contain band support for bands not listed in a particular versions specs. So the longer answer, is that there may be some small hidden differences (additional support bands on one versus the other).

It might be more useful for you to describe your intent, what you are trying to accomplish etc.

For instance, if you have the necessary bands for your carrier on the Dev Edition, changing to AT&T won't change that.

But the band support is either identical or at the most, minor differences.

Reactions: scifan and bpc4209

scifan

Dec 7, 2008
I have a gold AT&T M8... It's unlocked s-off, etc... (bought it off Swappa loaded with Dev edition, s-off/unlocked, etc)

My carrier is T-Mobile... currently I have it flashed with the Dev edition of Marshmallow... I THINK my radio's the MM edition... (H-boot shows the radio is listed as 1.29.214500021.24_2G/OS as 6.12.1540.4)

Just trying to make sure I'm running something that won't leave me hanging on radio's... I've dabbled with GPE and T-Mo roms... but wasn't sure if the Dev radio would try and support bands that the hardware won't actually support...

Is there a real way to verify the bands the hardware will support?

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I have a gold AT&T M8... It's unlocked s-off, etc... (bought it off Swappa loaded with Dev edition, s-off/unlocked, etc)

My carrier is T-Mobile... currently I have it flashed with the Dev edition of Marshmallow... I THINK my radio's the MM edition... (H-boot shows the radio is listed as 1.29.214500021.24_2G/OS as 6.12.1540.4)

Just trying to make sure I'm running something that won't leave me hanging on radio's... I've dabbled with GPE and T-Mo roms... but wasn't sure if the Dev radio would try and support bands that the hardware won't actually support...

Is there a real way to verify the bands the hardware will support?

The hardware is identical between the T-Mob, AT&T, Dev Ed and most other M8 versions. Band support is determined by the radio baseband firmware.

That being said, you do indeed have the MM radio, and most likely the Dev Ed radio (can't seem to find that radio number, at the moment), which is designed to work on AT&T's network. That means on T-Mob, you will have 2G (voice and EDGE data), 3G 1900 MHz (Band 2) and LTE (AWS); but you will not have 3G (HSPA) where T-Mob is using the HSPA AWS band (3G Band 4). This may or may not be an issue depending on your location. From what I'm reading, T-Mob is in the process of shutting down 3G service on the AWS band anyway, and migrating all 3G service to 1900 MHz (HSPA Band 2), one market region at a time. So you may not need the 3G AWS band, anyway.

However, if you find you need 3G AWS band at your location, you may want to go the the MM T-Mob radio once that update rolls out. Another option (if you really need the 3G AWS band now) might be to roll back to T-Mob Lollipop firmware, but that may cause its own complications.

scifan

Dec 7, 2008
The hardware is identical between the T-Mob, AT&T, Dev Ed and most other M8 versions. Band support is determined by the radio baseband firmware.

That being said, you do indeed have the MM radio, and most likely the Dev Ed radio (can't seem to find that radio number, at the moment), which is designed to work on AT&T's network. That means on T-Mob, you will have 2G (voice and EDGE data), 3G 1900 MHz (Band 2) and LTE (AWS); but you will not have 3G (HSPA) where T-Mob is using the HSPA AWS band (3G Band 4). This may or may not be an issue depending on your location. From what I'm reading, T-Mob is in the process of shutting down 3G service on the AWS band anyway, and migrating all 3G service to 1900 MHz (HSPA Band 2), one market region at a time. So you may not need the 3G AWS band, anyway.

However, if you find you need 3G AWS band at your location, you may want to go the the MM T-Mob radio once that update rolls out. Another option (if you really need the 3G AWS band now) might be to roll back to T-Mob Lollipop firmware, but that may cause its own complications.

The last time I ran a T-Mo radio on my M8 HSPA wouldn't work at all because even though they'd refarmed my area, it would try and run on frequencies my phone didn't have... (it was LTE or no data)

And I either was able to get a stable Bluetooth connection, or a stable cellular data connection... but I couldn't get both to be happy at the same time... (I found switching from WiFi to Cellular was problematic under some of the 4.x stock OS's... and then bluetooth was spotty under most of the stock 5.x rom's... and cellular switching wasn't consistent under ASOP...)

I don't know... I think at this point, I'm going to see what happens after the rest of the Sense MM releases come out... if I can't get something consistent, I'll probably work on selling this one and move to a new phone... it's nearly time anyway.

Last edited:

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
The last time I ran a T-Mo radio on my M8 HSPA wouldn't work at all because even though they'd refarmed my area, it would try and run on frequencies my phone didn't have... (it was LTE or no data)

I don't know what you mean that "it would try and run on frequencies my phone didn't have" as that really doesn't make sense (or I'm not properly understanding what you mean).

T-Mob radio is designed to run on their network, so 3G should work whether its refarmed (1900 Band 2) or not (AWS Band 4).

And I either was able to get a stable Bluetooth connection, or a stable cellular data connection... but I couldn't get both to be happy at the same time... (I found switching from WiFi to Cellular was problematic under some of the 4.x stock OS's... and then bluetooth was spotty under most of the stock 5.x rom's... and cellular switching wasn't consistent under ASOP...)

Hard to speculate what the issue there was, as I don't know the specifics of what ROM(s) you were on (version, stock, custom) as well as what firmware number. But what I normally would have recommended, is to baseline to full stock T-Mob using RUU, and go from there; to eliminate mismatches between ROM, firmware, etc.

But it sounds like you are past that point, and not necessarily looking for fixes for things that happened in the past.

scifan

Dec 7, 2008
I don't know what you mean that "it would try and run on frequencies my phone didn't have" as that really doesn't make sense (or I'm not properly understanding what you mean).

T-Mob radio is designed to run on their network, so 3G should work whether its refarmed (1900 Band 2) or not (AWS Band 4).

I've read elsewhere that if your baseband/radio includes frequencies your phone actually doesn't have hardware to support, that you can get stuck where your device will try and utilize that frequency and not realize that it's failing to communicate... I don't know if this was the situation, but it was significantly impacting my cellular data experience...

Hard to speculate what the issue there was, as I don't know the specifics of what ROM(s) you were on (version, stock, custom) as well as what firmware number. But what I normally would have recommended, is to baseline to full stock T-Mob using RUU, and go from there; to eliminate mismatches between ROM, firmware, etc.
But it sounds like you are past that point, and not necessarily looking for fixes for things that happened in the past.

When I originally moved to 4.4.x on T-Mobile, I RUU'd the phone... I want to say that I've had to do this once or twice when I soft bricked my phone in the past as well... I've made too many changes to speculate on one baseband/rom or another... I've flopped back and forth between being fully GPE and a combo of Sense Firmware and GPE rom...

At this point, I'm running the MM Dev firmware and rooted Dev Rom from This thread.

Btw, normally, the bluetooth issues I've experienced are pauses in music playback... with my current configuration sometimes I'll see bluetooth disconnect once after it initially connects.... Pandora controls work well. and everything else works as expected.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I've read elsewhere that if your baseband/radio includes frequencies your phone actually doesn't have hardware to support, that you can get stuck where your device will try and utilize that frequency and not realize that it's failing to communicate... I don't know if this was the situation, but it was significantly impacting my cellular data experience...

The only such instance I am aware of on the M8 that is similar to what you describe, is if you try to flash a "GSM" radio (basically any non-CDMA version) to one of the CDMA variants (Sprint, Verizon) which results in a radio brick. Meaning the phone doesn't work, but it breaks the radio. But this is an issue unique to Sprint, Verizon M8.

All other M8 versions (with the odd exceptions of the dual SIM, and M8 Eye - which are really different devices) are identical in hardware and the radios are interchangeable.

Even with the CDMA M8, from what I understand, the hardware is the same as the GSM versions. Its just the partitioning that is different that causes the radio brick.

Reactions: scifan

scifan

Dec 7, 2008
The only such instance I am aware of on the M8 that is similar to what you describe, is if you try to flash a "GSM" radio (basically any non-CDMA version) to one of the CDMA variants (Sprint, Verizon) which results in a radio brick. Meaning the phone doesn't work, but it breaks the radio. But this is an issue unique to Sprint, Verizon M8.

All other M8 versions (with the odd exceptions of the dual SIM, and M8 Eye - which are really different devices) are identical in hardware and the radios are interchangeable.

Even with the CDMA M8, from what I understand, the hardware is the same as the GSM versions. Its just the partitioning that is different that causes the radio brick.

I know I've flashed back and forth between T-Mobile, AT&T, GPE and Dev radio's without breaking things... it just seemed that some radio frequencies didn't work...

PunishedSnake

Apr 12, 2014
Fresno
Actually the reason I got a att m8 off swappa was because of the increased amount of bands over the tmobile version

Holds all lte and hspa bands along with additional lte ones

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As far as the specs listed, and as far as I know, yes.

Although some folks have found that the versions sometimes contain band support for bands not listed in a particular versions specs. So the longer answer, is that there may be some small hidden differences (additional support bands on one versus the other).

It might be more useful for you to describe your intent, what you are trying to accomplish etc.

For instance, if you have the necessary bands for your carrier on the Dev Edition, changing to AT&T won't change that.

But the band support is either identical or at the most, minor differences.