AT&T S6 (920A) update (9-20-16) Available ~457MB

Search This thread

SCuervo

Sep 30, 2016
Anyone else having high Android OS and Android System battery drain after this OTA? I even tried a factory reset, but it's still there. I'm losing 4 to 6 percent battery power hour compared to 1 or 2 percent per hour before the OTA.

I'm also having issues with Android System and Android OS. I reverted back to an earlier version of Good Lock and that seems to have quelled the System UI problems, but a factory reset hasn't helped the others. I've tried researching a few of what I presume to be the offenders after installing WakeLock Detector Lite, but haven't made any progress there.

tibere86

Feb 14, 2009
Rockville, MD
Anyone else having high Android OS and Android System battery drain after this OTA? I even tried a factory reset, but it's still there. I'm losing 4 to 6 percent battery power hour compared to 1 or 2 percent per hour before the OTA.
I was able to fix my battery drain by turning off ANDROID DEVICE MANAGER in the security settings and disabling GOOGLE APP (Google Now). Phone sleeps like a baby now :good:

h3lluvaninjuhneer

Jul 21, 2012
Louisville, KY
I was able to fix my battery drain by turning off ANDROID DEVICE MANAGER in the security settings and disabling GOOGLE APP (Google Now). Phone sleeps like a baby now :good:

My issue seems to have gotten better after turning off advanced calling (VOLTE). There have also been a couple of updates to the "Good Lock" systemui the past few days which may have helped. Not sure which did it, but for now the battery drain has returned to near normal.

Zero4

Dec 27, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio
Mind posting the build number?
Edit: Got it. G920AUCS5DPI1

3e15a057f1cf614a185dc32acad3ada3.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: tibere86

netter123

Oct 30, 2010
Just fyi of my experience - I had the 9-20 update for about one week with no problems at all. Suddenly with no unusual usage by me, the battery just started dropping like a rock. I cleared cache for the first time ever on this phone and tried changing a few other settings, but the problem persisted. But after about 24 hours, it just seemed to go away on its own. The last couple things I tried was enabling some AT&T apps I had disabled and turning off Enhanced LTE Service. Since the drain stopped, I've since re-enabled Enhanced LTE Service and re-disabled most of the AT&T apps with no problem so far. I was planning a factory reset if it lasted more than a day or two, but for now seems like it was just a temporary drain.

Reactions: Knumb
I'm also having issues with Android System and Android OS. I reverted back to an earlier version of Good Lock and that seems to have quelled the System UI problems, but a factory reset hasn't helped the others. I've tried researching a few of what I presume to be the offenders after installing WakeLock Detector Lite, but haven't made any progress there.
Same battery drain problem here. After the latest Sept OTA, Wakelock detector is showing a wakelock called diagnostics.client.wakelock (found under android system). it appears that at&t has reinstated that carrier iq rootkit/spyware nonsense and it is draining our batteries. There doesn't appear to be anyway to disable it without root so looks like we are stuck with it. Package disabler doesn't offer the option of disabling it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Reactions: h3lluvaninjuhneer

tibere86

Feb 14, 2009
Rockville, MD
Same battery drain problem here. After the latest Sept OTA, Wakelock detector is showing a wakelock called diagnostics.client.wakelock (found under android system). it appears that at&t has reinstated that carrier iq rootkit/spyware nonsense and it is draining our batteries. There doesn't appear to be anyway to disable it without root so looks like we are stuck with it. Package disabler doesn't offer the option of disabling it.

You are able to disable Carrier IQ with EZ DISABLER. See how Here

@tibere86 - thank you so much for pointing us to ez disabler. i was able to successfully disable carrier iq with it. Do you happen to also know how to eliminate or minimize the net_scheduler wakelock? That was the only other wakelock that was introduced with the recent OTAs.

Reactions: h3lluvaninjuhneer

tibere86

Feb 14, 2009
Rockville, MD
@tibere86 - thank you so much for pointing us to ez disabler. i was able to successfully disable carrier iq with it. Do you happen to also know how to eliminate or minimize the net_scheduler wakelock? That was the only other wakelock that was introduced with the recent OTAs.

I am not sure. I will do some XDA searching later on it.

padawan_lp

Jul 1, 2013
How do you get all OTAs?
Every time I check it says I have the latest version installed. I got tired of waiting and installed PG1 using Odin.

tenorman

Sep 15, 2006
I found another source of battery drain in the WiFi Calling/Advanced Messaging Update...

New Facebook processes.

After tracing the network traffic I saw that my phone was connecting to Facebook for software updates- despite previously disabling Facebook. The main Facebook app was disabled, but two new tasks Facebook App Updater <sic> and another FB process (both now gone so I don't have the exact names). Disabling both of these new processes has stopped the excessive Cell Standby, Android OS, and Android System drain.

Hope this helps someone. I was two clicks away from a new Pixel on Project Fi before I found this fix!

Last edited:
Reactions: netter123

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I am not sure. I will do some XDA searching later on it.
    According to Wakelock Detector I'm still getting killed by IMSService drain which falls under Android System. I haven't been able to quench its thirst by turning off advanced messaging, wifi calling, message backup and sync and a few other things I'm probably forgetting. Ive seen some suggestions on clearing cache of IMS Service and Contacts for people getting a message about IMS Service has stopped, but I'm not getting any such messages. I factory reset the device a few days after the September update but am still struggling for battery. Any better ideas before I start hacking away at cache and end up at another factory reset?
    goto settings -> mobile network -> mobile data and turn off enhanced lte service (i.e. VoIP). I have been able minimize the IMS wakelock by doing so. good luck!

I tried a couple times and it failed. Turned WiFi off, and then it worked on first attempt. No reboot. No clue why.

I think it just needed a few more bars of service. I plugged in my microcell and the wifi calling activated after my cell reception went up.
    Downloading now.. I guess I should abandon all hope of ever getting root on this S6 and just save up and buy a Nexus on Swappa.
    This is the first phone I'm not using root on, and I can't say I'm missing it.

The only 2 things I really liked root for was TiBu and AdAway.