AT&T unlocking and non-ATT image

Search This thread

olav

Apr 7, 2007
Hi,

First some intel:

I got my Duo device in a raffle and it happened to come from AT&T. It is locked to the AT&T network and unlocking had to be done via the helpdesk and couldn't be done for their website. The IMEI number isn't recognized. So, be aware that you really need to direct the helpdesk what to do in order to get it unlocked; they will tell you it's not an AT&T device.

So, finally, I got it unlocked. Yet....now there's AT&T bloatware on the device. So, what I want to do is put the original MS image back on the device. I have the following questions:

I need to supply the serial number in order to download the image from the Microsoft site. When I do that, it gives me the AT&T image.

1) if I put the AT&T image on the phone (which is already there, so I don't want to do that), will it root my phone?

2) what about the original MS image? Will it make permanent changes to the bootloader? Will it root my phone? (I don't want my phone rooted - I want a Duo with the original MS software, not with the AT&T nonsense installed).

Finally, where do I get the original image? I emailed Microsoft, but they say "it may damage the software" if I put the non AT&T image on the device. This is obviously a weird answer, but it shows they can't advise me on how to proceed.

Thank you!

mastibeta

Jun 14, 2010
Tampa Fl
Nothing about flashing stock firmware will root your device. That requires an explicit action aimed at rooting. As for flashing the non-att firmware, it should work just fine, if you cant get the phone to accept it. You could try using a serial number from a non-att device. At some point im sure there will be flashable firmware posted up here...it may require unlocking bootloader, then relocking when you have switched. Is OEM-unlocking available on the att model?

Apr 22, 2021
anyone try this yet? does it work? would love to lose the att bloat ware. also still looking for an unlocking solution (recieved a replacement from microsoft that att will not unlock, device is paid for etc)

rabilancia

Mar 2, 2006
Microsoft Surface Duo
anyone try this yet? does it work? would love to lose the att bloat ware. also still looking for an unlocking solution (recieved a replacement from microsoft that att will not unlock, device is paid for etc)

I too would be interested in any reports. I'm expecting the AT&T version from the Woot.com special last week, but am not an AT&T customer. My planned usage will be to use the Duo on WiFi only. Getting rid of the AT&T bloatware would be ideal. Thanks in advance....