Atoto S8 General Discussion

Search This thread

ChrisDos

Sep 5, 2009
Denver
Google Pixel 6 Pro
hello.
Shouldn't 2022-09-22 be rooted?

I can't get the 2022-09-22 to root to to the signing problem. I used the same signing tool as I used on 2022-04-15 and it's not working. I tried signing under both Linux and Windows using Oracles Java8 under windows and OpenJDK 8 under LInux. I'm not sure if ATOTO is using a different method to sign this firmware.

ATOTO_Root_Signing_Error.jpg

mashaty

Jul 5, 2010
I can't get the 2022-09-22 to root to to the signing problem. I used the same signing tool as I used on 2022-04-15 and it's not working. I tried signing under both Linux and Windows using Oracles Java8 under windows and OpenJDK 8 under LInux. I'm not sure if ATOTO is using a different method to sign this firmware.

View attachment 5721569
Ahh. . . Oh my God
I'm in trouble because I'm using a rooted app.
Please make it Rooted.

ChrisDos

Sep 5, 2009
Denver
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Ahh. . . Oh my God
I'm in trouble because I'm using a rooted app.
Please make it Rooted.

Yea, I need someone else to try to root it who is more familiar with rooting these android head units. I may try and root 2022-08-11 so at least I'll have that. Shame because 09-22 seems to fix the Home Launcher pinning problem. But we can fix that using root by disabling launcher3.

Reactions: 03hdfatboy

famalamadingdong

Aug 11, 2020
Hey guys, in trying to solve two issues.

1. Carlink wireless Android auto is unreliable. Sometimes it works flawlessly and sometimes the connection drops instantly. Does anyone have tips to fix this?

2. Is it possible to turn off screen without stopping music? I tried the hardware button but it stops music. Tasker doesn't seem to be able to control screen timeout. For now I have to manually go into setting and change the 'auto black screen' every night.

scorpio76r

Jan 10, 2016
All over like street lights
Hey guys, in trying to solve two issues.

1. Carlink wireless Android auto is unreliable. Sometimes it works flawlessly and sometimes the connection drops instantly. Does anyone have tips to fix this?

2. Is it possible to turn off screen without stopping music? I tried the hardware button but it stops music. Tasker doesn't seem to be able to control screen timeout. For now I have to manually go into setting and change the 'auto black screen' every night.
As far as connection on the August update for Atoto standard, I noticed that doing a factory reset on the radio and then just connecting to Bluetooth one and, using Android auto wireless on my phone ensures connection each time. The only thing that I did on the radio was adjust eq settings and did nothing else. For some reason if I signed into the playstore on the radio I would get the issue you mentioned and, it would randomly happen like crazy. I know that this seems weird but it is what I found out

ChrisDos

Sep 5, 2009
Denver
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Yea, I need someone else to try to root it who is more familiar with rooting these android head units. I may try and root 2022-08-11 so at least I'll have that. Shame because 09-22 seems to fix the Home Launcher pinning problem. But we can fix that using root by disabling launcher3.

Trying to root 2022-08-11 results in the same signing error problem. I'm going to roll back to rooted 2022-04-15 for now.
Edit: Looks like you cannot restore before 2022-07. I'll post more information in the Rooted Thread.

Last edited:

esertime

Oct 6, 2022
Hey guys. I update my S8 Gen2 Standard to the newest Firmware and now my SEAT Logos are all gone. Can someone send me this logos and wallpapers? I think it was located in the picture folder? And the Icon Logo please.

Second thing is, i have some questions i hope someone can help. Thanks

1. external microphone I installed the external microphone and made a test call. The person I am talking understands me very badly. Is it possible to make any settings here?

2. built-in microphone in the head unit The head unit has an integrated microphone, can someone tell me something about the voice quality, so that I could possibly omit the external microphone?

3. BT-1, BT-2, WLAN, cable This is my most annoying problem. If I want to connect via BT-2 or WLAN, I have to activate it every time I turn the ignition off and on again. Is there a solution to this that the S8 just automatically connects to my iPhone's hotspot? I don't want to have to press 5-6 buttons before I start driving, that's not the point.

4. HD03LR Deactivate fisheye, full picture I have successfully installed and connected the HD03. However, this fisheye bothers me because the corners of the monitor stay black at the top and bottom edges. I have another car that has a similar function, but not with this exaggerated optics.

5. Auto-Dimming How is that possible, i hear that it works?

scorpio76r

Jan 10, 2016
Hey guys. I update my S8 Gen2 Standard to the newest Firmware and now my SEAT Logos are all gone. Can someone send me this logos and wallpapers? I think it was located in the picture folder? And the Icon Logo please.

Second thing is, i have some questions i hope someone can help. Thanks

1. external microphone I installed the external microphone and made a test call. The person I am talking understands me very badly. Is it possible to make any settings here?

2. built-in microphone in the head unit The head unit has an integrated microphone, can someone tell me something about the voice quality, so that I could possibly omit the external microphone?

3. BT-1, BT-2, WLAN, cable This is my most annoying problem. If I want to connect via BT-2 or WLAN, I have to activate it every time I turn the ignition off and on again. Is there a solution to this that the S8 just automatically connects to my iPhone's hotspot? I don't want to have to press 5-6 buttons before I start driving, that's not the point.

4. HD03LR Deactivate fisheye, full picture I have successfully installed and connected the HD03. However, this fisheye bothers me because the corners of the monitor stay black at the top and bottom edges. I have another car that has a similar function, but not with this exaggerated optics.

5. Auto-Dimming How is that possible, i hear that it works?
I ditched my external mic a year ago because people heard me just fine with the built-in mic. I have not had issues other than having to increase the stereo volume to hear others speaking to me. Also Atoto ditched the logos in this update. I have emailed them and, asked why and, have yet to get a response.

Divehard

Sep 12, 2022
Hi everyone. A little update for me. Upgraded from the S8 Standard 7" to the S8 Premium 7" without a hitch, all the wiring was the same so it was just a simple swap. Upgraded firmware to the "....220811.zip" and verified the MCU was updated but the wireless AA won't work. According to the update instructions from ATOTO, I am to pair with the local hotspot named "CarLinkAP630" after I pair bluetooth but I cannot find it on the S8. Emailed ATOTO customer support and haven't received a reply yet (It's day 3). Any suggestions. I'd also like to get the boot image with the Jeep logo back if anyone can help.
TIA

Attachments

• 20221005_125218.jpg
    20221005_125218.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25

scorpio76r

Jan 10, 2016
Hi everyone. A little update for me. Upgraded from the S8 Standard 7" to the S8 Premium 7" without a hitch, all the wiring was the same so it was just a simple swap. Upgraded firmware to the "....220811.zip" and verified the MCU was updated but the wireless AA won't work. According to the update instructions from ATOTO, I am to pair with the local hotspot named "CarLinkAP630" after I pair bluetooth but I cannot find it on the S8. Emailed ATOTO customer support and haven't received a reply yet (It's day 3). Any suggestions. I'd also like to get the boot image with the Jeep logo back if anyone can help.
TIA
Factory reset your radio. Then just connect Bluetooth 1 only. Make your you enable wireless Android auto on your phone before doing what I mentioned. Lastly enjoy Android auto wireless 👍

Reactions: Divehard

Divehard

Sep 12, 2022

Factory reset your radio. Then just connect Bluetooth 1 only. Make your you enable wireless Android auto on your phone before doing what I mentioned. Lastly enjoy Android auto wireless 👍
Yes I installed that file

I will do the reset.
Does this mean setting up the backup camera again? That whole operation was a real pita

Divehard

Sep 12, 2022
Some things come with a cost but, you will be good in the end
OK I want to understand correctly so the reset button is the little hole that I push in with a paper clip or is there a menu for it somewhere that I have to find? I found it in the settings screen. sorry for being impatient and thanks again

03hdfatboy

Sep 4, 2009
OK I want to understand correctly so the reset button is the little hole that I push in with a paper clip or is there a menu for it somewhere that I have to find? I found it in the settings screen. sorry for being impatient and thanks again
Reset in menu, if you're talking about a factory reset

scorpio76r

Jan 10, 2016
OK I want to understand correctly so the reset button is the little hole that I push in with a paper clip or is there a menu for it somewhere that I have to find?
It's in the menu I believe. Be careful poking at holes as you don't want to poke the mic. Unless you have confirmed that it is a reset. I use the standard S8 and I know that the reset is in the menu.
Yeah Its still not working
That's odd. I'm wondering if you have a faulty unit at this point. These radios are not too complicated

Divehard

Sep 12, 2022
It's in the menu I believe. Be careful poking at holes as you don't want to poke the mic. Unless you have confirmed that it is a reset. I use the standard S8 and I know that the reset is in the menu.

That's odd. I'm wondering if you have a faulty unit at this point. These radios are not too complicated
I hope not This is already my second unit. AA works fine the wireless just won't work. I enabled automatic connect with bluetooth on BT-1 and enabled wireless AA in settings and in developer settings on my phone as well. It worked on the first unit but I had other issues and had to return it. I followed these directions from the ATOTO update. The "CarLinkAP630" Hotspot never appears

Screenshot_20220923-004537_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220923-004548_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

ahardie

Sep 16, 2009
TIA

ahardie

Sep 16, 2009
You probably need to update the BT1 firmware. That's what fixed it for me. Its very easy to do. You can find the file by joining the Facebook Atoto owners group and find a post by Mark Irwin from the 6th October where he has uploaded the file. Don‘t worry about the name of the hotspot. Atoto says it has to be CarLinkAP630 but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Reactions: Divehard

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So how do you map to the phones assistant? There is only one mic icon in the Atoto setip for steering wheel controls.
    Thanks.
    ps Android Auto gives me access to navigation, music from my phone, messages etc. All I need.
    I don't have a pic of the icon options and my car is in the shop (fuel line leak, again), so if you can take a pic and post it, I should be able to tell you which one it is. I think it is like a person speaking or something, not a mic. The instructions may well tell you, too.

So why buy a fancy stereo if you just want to use Android Auto? It is ugly, clunky, and does not do enough IMO. I need to be able to use all my phone's apps on the phone and any app I want on the stereo, plus have a nice-looking screen on the stereo (I use Agama, not the Atoto home screen). I get way more tethered data than I'll ever need included with my phone plan, so that's not an issue for me to use the stereo instead of the phone. I use Google Maps on the stereo (usually using the Atoto mic to tell it where to navigate to but sometimes just using previous places I've looked up since it syncs with what I've looked at on other devices), Bluetooth music from my phone, have Bixby read out loud all my texts and other notifications when they happen (sometimes it is funny when she gets to an emoji), can use Google Assistant (via the phone-mapped button) to respond to texts (although in the car it doesn't get my words correct most of the time - I'm guessing it uses the phone's mic instead of the Atoto's mic? Calls work perfectly/people can hear me fine), and when parked/waiting can use any app.
    Does anyone know where I can buy this unit? S8TYC78UL-N: WUDH07D Here is the atoto product link for the North American Version. I can only find the Asia version on Japanese Amazon, but that would not allow for access to the majority of the NA 4g bands if I decide to put a sim card in it.

Anyone heard anything on this? This style is mainly for older Toyota's with 205mm width head units (I have an older Toyota) and to accommodate the wider double dim size they've added volume knobs etc. which I love. I'm even thinking of just buying this Asian version on amazon and not going 4g it looks so nice, but would prefer the option to access 4g in NA.
    It is also on the US Amazon site, just listed as unavailable. You should write to Atoto and ask if they will be selling it again or if you can buy the Japanese one and change the firmware to the US one.

Your Atoto links don't work.

My cell phone plan comes with more tethering data than I could ever use, so I just use Wi-Fi Hotspot from my phone for Atoto and it works well. You may not need the SIM card version if you have tethering on your phone plan.
    Welcome! Please feel free to ask for help or share your experience with the Atoto S8 line of head units.

Current lineup:

S8 Standard S8G2A71S(2GB/16GB)
    S8 Pro Version S8G2A75P(4GB/32GB)
    S8 Ultra

attachment.php

Tips/Notes
    • Ensure your Google contacts are backed up if you allow the HU to access them. It has been known to delete them. You can disable Contact Sync from the Accounts section in Settings.
    • Developer Options can be enabled via the repeated clicking under 'About', but to access the menu, you need a play store program that will take you directly to it. A lot of alternative launchers provide a way to access them.
    • The ONLY USB connection that USB debugging works on is USB1 --> Phone Link. For it to work, you need to change the "computer connection" to whatever the SECOND option is [untranslated]. This can be selected from the top right menu in Developer Options
    • File down the very end, outer part of the wire harness clip, and it will go in all the way and latch like it's supposed it. Just needs to clear the casing by 1/16" or less.
    • On at least the first batch of S8's there is a chance the RCA Rear and Front outputs are incorrect and need swapped. The labels are incorrect.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got mine in this afternoon and installed it in my 86 Ford truck this evening. Prior to that I set it up via the AC adapter (sold separately).
    I know there are a lot more fleshed out reviews out there but here's my take on it.
    I really liked the A6Y Pro. It started out really strong and for 95% of the time it did what was needed. When you consider it's a head unit so it encompasses a lot more than just an Android tablet, it really is impressive. Everything it did, it did well - it just did it kind of slowly. It got pretty sluggish at times when trying to switch between a lot of apps and installing apps from the app store was painfully slow. It should be noted that in just the normal run of the mill drive when you are listening to a single music/radio app or navigation it did great. It was really just when I was sitting in my truck messing with it that one noticed these things. So take those complaints as being a tad bit critical.
    In comes the S8. I didn't have any plans of getting the S8 initially but since I am still working on the interior of the truck I am restoring I felt like it made sense to get the latest version before finalizing the wiring and dash.
    Right off the bat, it's noticeably faster and more responsive. I could install my apps from the app store about as fast as I could click them. Even the cold boot wasn't much slower than my phone (A6Y Pro would go through the 'Optimizing app' process every time and that took awhile). The status bar has changed quite a bit in that the navigation is at the top left vs the bottom. The three primary buttons work really well there and the split screen feature works slick.
    This is a personal preference but while I like the new status bar approach, I wouldn't mind seeing a way to style it differently. I am not a huge fan of colors up there like is seen when a phone is connected.

As I said, there are better video reviews out there but let me just say that if you have the A6Y and feel like you are pushing it, the S8 is the answer for you.
    Additionally the Atoto support team is very quick to respond (realize that hours may differ from where you are) and is extremely helpful. That's a huge plus especially with the S8 being fairly new to market.

Items of note that I have found:
    1. LastPass and FCC Launcher.
    Both need Accessibility Services but when trying to grant them and click OK I am unable to due to a message of: "Because an app is obscuring a permission request, Settings can't verify your response"
    There may be other apps that will run into this issue also or if someone has tried either one of these and they don't have the issue granting it, please let me know

2. RCA Rear and Front outputs are incorrect
    This one threw me for a minute. I am using the RCA FR and FL for my door component speaks and am joining the RR and RL for my Hideaway sub. Turns out in the first shipment of S8's the ports are backwards so you will need to hook the Fronts to the RL/RR and vice versa. I am told that the next shipment will have this resolved. Those are the only RCA outputs I have used so far as the male part of my rear view camera RCA cable fell off when removing the A6Y Pro so I have to wait for a new connector to come in so I can repair it.
    To bad Atoto is not monitoring this thread to help it's customer's a little bit with these type of questions.
    I have the S8 standard, I've been running and messing with it for about a week now. The stock launcher, the icons are way too big and there's no way to resize them, so I installed Google Now Launcher and the icons are smaller and I can stack 2 rows on the bottom of the screen. The only issue that I'm having with the launcher is that the Phone app is gone. It's not onscreen and it's not in the app drawer. It's like it disappeared when I installed the new launcher. I still receive calls through it connected to bluetooth to my cell, but I can't find the app to make calls out.

With the radio, I have the same back up cam that everyone gets installed and it worked great the first day that I installed it. I put the car in reverse and 3 seconds later I have video. My car sat for 2 days and then when I drove it again, the reverse cam video shows up, but it says no signal and the screen is black. So I know at least the trigger wire works, and it has to be a short in the video cable itself. But every now and then, I get video on the screen.

I'm guessing there's no way to set certain apps to load on startup. I'd like to turn on the car and the radio app just turns on and plays, but it defaults to the the home screen and I have to load the radio app. I don't use the radio widget, I use the icon to bring up the full screen version of the radio. Once the radio app is running, I have a habit of hitting the back button and it turns the radio app off. So I have to get used to hitting the home button after I load it so it goes back to the home screen.

Google Maps works great, I downloaded over 600MB of offline maps. I don't have a hotspot except when I use my phone, so it is completely shut off from wifi. I can get into some pretty deep woods with it. But sometimes the app gets stuck and you get a white screen and the GPS can't find you. So you have to force stop Google Maps and reload it and hope that the GPS finds you. I'll post up more of my experiences with it as time goes on. But I have to say, this is my 4th Android car stereo and it's really great so far.
    I'm guessing there's no way to set certain apps to load on startup. I'd like to turn on the car and the radio app just turns on and plays, but it defaults to the the home screen and I have to load the radio app. I don't use the radio widget, I use the icon to bring up the full screen version of the radio. Once the radio app is running, I have a habit of hitting the back button and it turns the radio app off. So I have to get used to hitting the home button after I load it so it goes back to the home screen.

I'm still waiting on my S8 Pro to arrive but I was looking through a thread for must have apps for android head units and this comment suggested AutoStart - No root. Hopefully this helps you, or it looks like there's plenty on the Play Store to try out.
    IThoughts
    Theres a lot of praise for atoto which there should be, this device is much smoother than the A6 and i would say even better value for money if you can get it cheap and sell your A6. However there a few issues that i managed to find in just 30 minutes. BUT damn, this thing is quick, and only £60 more than the A6 sometimes. I dont think ill upgrade again. hopefully i can sell the A6 for a good enough amount to cover the cost of this upgrade.

1) Z LINK - this does not work well with android auto (ironic this an android head unit). There is a DPI issue, spotify icon does not scale properly, whether thats my p30 pro or the app i am not sure yet. Right hand side does not work for us in the UK, always showing left hand side arrangement.

2) finger gestures - we should be able to choose this but minor in the grand scheme

3) AUDIO - oh audio, so much promise. Can definitely be fixed with software updates tho. other asked for help in setting a nice eq setting, so far a smooth v shape from +5 at the low, 0 at the mids and +6 at the high is doing well. There is a catch, turn off audio delay ( the distances are too small to make a difference imo and makes it sound weird, comes set up for left and side tho i believe).
    Subwoofer RCA is 0.8v so be aware. I am not sure how to even amplify such a small signal

4) in car calls - The new system is SICK. with all the reviews ive seen, i cannot stress how good the s8 handles calls. new pop up is small and out of the way, can pick up and hang up like usual. On top of that you can change weather you want handset or car audio if you want to make a private call! and lastly, floating number pad!!

5) horsepower - since Z link is for me subpar with AA, i am using headunit reloaded. The a6 could barely handle 720p and it had to be done with software. now i run AA at 720p with hardware acceleration! buttery smooth, feels like it was design by a name brand. I will use Zlink for car play but HUR for AA.

6) some of my contacts were also delete -_- (Fix: turn off sync for contacts. then roll back changes to your account and hour or to yesterday)