Atoto S8 General Discussion

Search This thread

dalboynz

Apr 24, 2021
When I map my steering wheel control to the microphone icon, it does not open the Android Auto icon which would let me speak to AA without having to say "Hey Google" and without having to press the blue mic icon on the AA screen.
Instead, it stops AA and opens a screen asking to turn on Wifi or insert a sim card.
Is there a way to map to the AA mic?
Thanks.

Oct 20, 2021
When I map my steering wheel control to the microphone icon, it does not open the Android Auto icon which would let me speak to AA without having to say "Hey Google" and without having to press the blue mic icon on the AA screen.
Instead, it stops AA and opens a screen asking to turn on Wifi or insert a sim card.
Is there a way to map to the AA mic?
Thanks.
I don't use Android Auto (what's the point of having the stereo if you're going to just use that?), but if the mic in there uses your phone's Google Assistant, then you should try mapping the button to the one for your phone's assistant. I have one button mapped for the Atoto's assistant (for Google Maps) and another mapped for the phone's assistant. The one you're currently using is Atoto's assistant as that's the screen that pops up if you're not connected to the Internet via your phone (WiFi or, for those phone companies that allow it, Bluetooth).

dalboynz

Apr 24, 2021
So how do you map to the phones assistant? There is only one mic icon in the Atoto setip for steering wheel controls.
Thanks.
ps Android Auto gives me access to navigation, music from my phone, messages etc. All I need.

Oct 20, 2021
So how do you map to the phones assistant? There is only one mic icon in the Atoto setip for steering wheel controls.
Thanks.
ps Android Auto gives me access to navigation, music from my phone, messages etc. All I need.
I don't have a pic of the icon options and my car is in the shop (fuel line leak, again), so if you can take a pic and post it, I should be able to tell you which one it is. I think it is like a person speaking or something, not a mic. The instructions may well tell you, too.

So why buy a fancy stereo if you just want to use Android Auto? It is ugly, clunky, and does not do enough IMO. I need to be able to use all my phone's apps on the phone and any app I want on the stereo, plus have a nice-looking screen on the stereo (I use Agama, not the Atoto home screen). I get way more tethered data than I'll ever need included with my phone plan, so that's not an issue for me to use the stereo instead of the phone. I use Google Maps on the stereo (usually using the Atoto mic to tell it where to navigate to but sometimes just using previous places I've looked up since it syncs with what I've looked at on other devices), Bluetooth music from my phone, have Bixby read out loud all my texts and other notifications when they happen (sometimes it is funny when she gets to an emoji), can use Google Assistant (via the phone-mapped button) to respond to texts (although in the car it doesn't get my words correct most of the time - I'm guessing it uses the phone's mic instead of the Atoto's mic? Calls work perfectly/people can hear me fine), and when parked/waiting can use any app.

Reactions: maverixz

dalboynz

Apr 24, 2021
I don't have a pic of the icon options and my car is in the shop (fuel line leak, again), so if you can take a pic and post it, I should be able to tell you which one it is. I think it is like a person speaking or something, not a mic. The instructions may well tell you, too.

So why buy a fancy stereo if you just want to use Android Auto? It is ugly, clunky, and does not do enough IMO. I need to be able to use all my phone's apps on the phone and any app I want on the stereo, plus have a nice-looking screen on the stereo (I use Agama, not the Atoto home screen). I get way more tethered data than I'll ever need included with my phone plan, so that's not an issue for me to use the stereo instead of the phone. I use Google Maps on the stereo (usually using the Atoto mic to tell it where to navigate to but sometimes just using previous places I've looked up since it syncs with what I've looked at on other devices), Bluetooth music from my phone, have Bixby read out loud all my texts and other notifications when they happen (sometimes it is funny when she gets to an emoji), can use Google Assistant (via the phone-mapped button) to respond to texts (although in the car it doesn't get my words correct most of the time - I'm guessing it uses the phone's mic instead of the Atoto's mic? Calls work perfectly/people can hear me fine), and when parked/waiting can use any app.
I guess because I used to use AA on my phone when driving and just wanted the bigger screen of something like the Atoto, I am used to AA so never saw the need to change.
Hre is a photo of the setup screen, were you referring to the icon to the right of the mic one, looks like someone speaking? I tried that and it does nothing. When I use the mic one i get the message about needing wifi or a sim. I have wifi turned off on the Atoto because I am using AA wirelessly but even if I turn wifi on it just goes to Google Assistant which is not what I want, I need it to stay in Android Auto if that makes sense.
Appreciate any help you can give.

Attachments

• 20221114_112431.jpg
    20221114_112431.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 35
  • 20221116_083323.jpg
    20221116_083323.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 33

rgsumpter

Nov 15, 2022
I am thinking of upgrading to the S8 standard. Have read through this forum a couple of times and will reread portions of it again. Trying to keep track of who has the original gen and gen2 S8’s can get confusing.

Presently I have a A6 pro installed in my 97 GMC truck. My issue is that it is getting slow and is very slow to update apps when at home on wifi. I have a backup camera, front camera and dash cam with 256G SD card and the atoto steering wheel control. I also have a 256G SD card that is formatted as internal memory. I installed a SPDT toggle switch to the switched power lead so that I can leave the radio on to perform updates when needed. I mostly use it for music, offline mapping, torque and the cameras and hand free phone calls. I also use a Logitech trackball with the unifying receiver.

From reading this forum I understand that the S8 will be a lot faster but that I will be unable to format the SD card as internal memory, is this still true for the gen2 versions? Also that the WiFi will be a lot better when doing updates at home.

I also would like to use the mapping app “Here We Go” which is unavailable for the A6. It was mentioned earlier in the forum that the “Here” apps have a problem and was wondering if this was still true with the gen2 versions? The other mapping app I use is “US Topo Maps”. As mentioned I use the mapping apps offline as a lot of the area I use them in I do not have cell service. Will have to look into storing the downloaded maps and music in a external storage location. Presently I store the offline data in internal storage on the SD card.

Oct 20, 2021
I guess because I used to use AA on my phone when driving and just wanted the bigger screen of something like the Atoto, I am used to AA so never saw the need to change.
Hre is a photo of the setup screen, were you referring to the icon to the right of the mic one, looks like someone speaking? I tried that and it does nothing. When I use the mic one i get the message about needing wifi or a sim. I have wifi turned off on the Atoto because I am using AA wirelessly but even if I turn wifi on it just goes to Google Assistant which is not what I want, I need it to stay in Android Auto if that makes sense.
Appreciate any help you can give.
Yes, the one to the right of the mic with the guy speaking - the text under the icon stands for Android Auto/Car Play/Bluetooth. So, it should work with your Android Auto. 🤷‍♀️ I don't know if your phone needs to get permissions to use it maybe? I use it as the Bluetooth to my phone's Google Assistant, and last set it up over a year ago when I got my current phone, so I don't remember if it needed permissions or not.

Yeah, the mic one is for using the Atoto's assistant, not your phone's, so that's why it requires WiFi/Bluetooth/SIM for Internet access and won't be via Android Auto.

Gotcha on the being used to Android Auto thing.

barb44

Feb 15, 2009
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 6T
Hi, just installed my S8 GEN2 standard and everything works fine, apart from the fast boot. The unit goes through displaying the google logo for a few seconds before showing main screen, definitely longer than 2 seconds. Do I have to turn this feature on anywhere ? Thanks

ahardie

Sep 16, 2009
There should be a permanent live to the Head unit. I think it's the yellow wire on the harness. If that's not connected to a connection that's live even when the ignition is off then the HU will cold boot every time. If you've connected that you may need to check it with a multimeter with the ignition off.

androidenth00siast

Dec 4, 2022
Does anyone know where I can buy this unit? S8TYC78UL-N: WUDH07D Here is the atoto product link for the North American Version. I can only find the Asia version on Japanese Amazon, but that would not allow for access to the majority of the NA 4g bands if I decide to put a sim card in it.

Anyone heard anything on this? This style is mainly for older Toyota's with 205mm width head units (I have an older Toyota) and to accommodate the wider double dim size they've added volume knobs etc. which I love. I'm even thinking of just buying this Asian version on amazon and not going 4g it looks so nice, but would prefer the option to access 4g in NA.

scorpio76r

Jan 10, 2016
All over like street lights
Does anyone know where I can buy this unit? S8TYC78UL-N: WUDH07D Here is the atoto product link for the North American Version. I can only find the Asia version on Japanese Amazon, but that would not allow for access to the majority of the NA 4g bands if I decide to put a sim card in it.

Anyone heard anything on this? This style is mainly for older Toyota's with 205mm width head units (I have an older Toyota) and to accommodate the wider double dim size they've added volume knobs etc. which I love. I'm even thinking of just buying this Asian version on amazon and not going 4g it looks so nice, but would prefer the option to access 4g in NA.
Are you able to access Ebay? I just checked there and, I noticed some there. You can even reach out to the sellers for specific questions also.

androidenth00siast

Dec 4, 2022
Oct 20, 2021

It is also on the US Amazon site, just listed as unavailable. You should write to Atoto and ask if they will be selling it again or if you can buy the Japanese one and change the firmware to the US one.

Your Atoto links don't work.

My cell phone plan comes with more tethering data than I could ever use, so I just use Wi-Fi Hotspot from my phone for Atoto and it works well. You may not need the SIM card version if you have tethering on your phone plan.

Reactions: androidenth00siast

norwn

Jan 3, 2011
Hi guys,
could you help me out, to find out what are the standard build props for the S8 Gen2 Ultra?
I think I have flashed a wrong config.txt so bluetooth is not connecting and has an empty name, cannot rename it either. Both BT1 and BT2. Flashing latest firmware or factory reset didn't solve it.
Would be good to figure out the standard values for the launcher, bluetooth type, name, etc. HWGetInfo application can pull all kind of system parameters into a zip, like:

ro.fyt.launcher=com.android.launcher4
ro.fyt.amp_type=0
sys.fyt.bluetooth_type=0
sys.fyt.ec_version=6

Thanks in advance!

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
Hi guys,
could you help me out, to find out what are the standard build props for the S8 Gen2 Ultra?
I think I have flashed a wrong config.txt so bluetooth is not connecting and has an empty name, cannot rename it either. Both BT1 and BT2. Flashing latest firmware or factory reset didn't solve it.
Would be good to figure out the standard values for the launcher, bluetooth type, name, etc. HWGetInfo application can pull all kind of system parameters into a zip, like:

ro.fyt.launcher=com.android.launcher4
ro.fyt.amp_type=0
sys.fyt.bluetooth_type=0
sys.fyt.ec_version=6

Thanks in advance!
As per other posts....

sys.fyt.bluetooth_type=1

com5984

May 27, 2016
Is it possible to use 2 functions at once on the ultra? I drive a bus and play the radio for my passengers but I want to listen to spotify with my bluetooth ear buds.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I guess I will find out..... The Premium arrived today from Amazon and I immediately sent it back and ordered the Ultra.
    Welcome! Please feel free to ask for help or share your experience with the Atoto S8 line of head units.

Current lineup:

S8 Standard S8G2A71S(2GB/16GB)
    S8 Pro Version S8G2A75P(4GB/32GB)
    S8 Ultra

attachment.php

Tips/Notes
    • Ensure your Google contacts are backed up if you allow the HU to access them. It has been known to delete them. You can disable Contact Sync from the Accounts section in Settings.
    • Developer Options can be enabled via the repeated clicking under 'About', but to access the menu, you need a play store program that will take you directly to it. A lot of alternative launchers provide a way to access them.
    • The ONLY USB connection that USB debugging works on is USB1 --> Phone Link. For it to work, you need to change the "computer connection" to whatever the SECOND option is [untranslated]. This can be selected from the top right menu in Developer Options
    • File down the very end, outer part of the wire harness clip, and it will go in all the way and latch like it's supposed it. Just needs to clear the casing by 1/16" or less.
    • On at least the first batch of S8's there is a chance the RCA Rear and Front outputs are incorrect and need swapped. The labels are incorrect.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got mine in this afternoon and installed it in my 86 Ford truck this evening. Prior to that I set it up via the AC adapter (sold separately).
    I know there are a lot more fleshed out reviews out there but here's my take on it.
    I really liked the A6Y Pro. It started out really strong and for 95% of the time it did what was needed. When you consider it's a head unit so it encompasses a lot more than just an Android tablet, it really is impressive. Everything it did, it did well - it just did it kind of slowly. It got pretty sluggish at times when trying to switch between a lot of apps and installing apps from the app store was painfully slow. It should be noted that in just the normal run of the mill drive when you are listening to a single music/radio app or navigation it did great. It was really just when I was sitting in my truck messing with it that one noticed these things. So take those complaints as being a tad bit critical.
    In comes the S8. I didn't have any plans of getting the S8 initially but since I am still working on the interior of the truck I am restoring I felt like it made sense to get the latest version before finalizing the wiring and dash.
    Right off the bat, it's noticeably faster and more responsive. I could install my apps from the app store about as fast as I could click them. Even the cold boot wasn't much slower than my phone (A6Y Pro would go through the 'Optimizing app' process every time and that took awhile). The status bar has changed quite a bit in that the navigation is at the top left vs the bottom. The three primary buttons work really well there and the split screen feature works slick.
    This is a personal preference but while I like the new status bar approach, I wouldn't mind seeing a way to style it differently. I am not a huge fan of colors up there like is seen when a phone is connected.

As I said, there are better video reviews out there but let me just say that if you have the A6Y and feel like you are pushing it, the S8 is the answer for you.
    Additionally the Atoto support team is very quick to respond (realize that hours may differ from where you are) and is extremely helpful. That's a huge plus especially with the S8 being fairly new to market.

Items of note that I have found:
    1. LastPass and FCC Launcher.
    Both need Accessibility Services but when trying to grant them and click OK I am unable to due to a message of: "Because an app is obscuring a permission request, Settings can't verify your response"
    There may be other apps that will run into this issue also or if someone has tried either one of these and they don't have the issue granting it, please let me know

2. RCA Rear and Front outputs are incorrect
    This one threw me for a minute. I am using the RCA FR and FL for my door component speaks and am joining the RR and RL for my Hideaway sub. Turns out in the first shipment of S8's the ports are backwards so you will need to hook the Fronts to the RL/RR and vice versa. I am told that the next shipment will have this resolved. Those are the only RCA outputs I have used so far as the male part of my rear view camera RCA cable fell off when removing the A6Y Pro so I have to wait for a new connector to come in so I can repair it.
    To bad Atoto is not monitoring this thread to help it's customer's a little bit with these type of questions.
    Guys, there's a new radio app available for the Atoto S8!!! I already tested this and it actually works!
    It's the only radio app besides the native one (well and any from other FYT head units) that actually works with our head unit. :D
    I have the S8 standard, I've been running and messing with it for about a week now. The stock launcher, the icons are way too big and there's no way to resize them, so I installed Google Now Launcher and the icons are smaller and I can stack 2 rows on the bottom of the screen. The only issue that I'm having with the launcher is that the Phone app is gone. It's not onscreen and it's not in the app drawer. It's like it disappeared when I installed the new launcher. I still receive calls through it connected to bluetooth to my cell, but I can't find the app to make calls out.

With the radio, I have the same back up cam that everyone gets installed and it worked great the first day that I installed it. I put the car in reverse and 3 seconds later I have video. My car sat for 2 days and then when I drove it again, the reverse cam video shows up, but it says no signal and the screen is black. So I know at least the trigger wire works, and it has to be a short in the video cable itself. But every now and then, I get video on the screen.

I'm guessing there's no way to set certain apps to load on startup. I'd like to turn on the car and the radio app just turns on and plays, but it defaults to the the home screen and I have to load the radio app. I don't use the radio widget, I use the icon to bring up the full screen version of the radio. Once the radio app is running, I have a habit of hitting the back button and it turns the radio app off. So I have to get used to hitting the home button after I load it so it goes back to the home screen.

Google Maps works great, I downloaded over 600MB of offline maps. I don't have a hotspot except when I use my phone, so it is completely shut off from wifi. I can get into some pretty deep woods with it. But sometimes the app gets stuck and you get a white screen and the GPS can't find you. So you have to force stop Google Maps and reload it and hope that the GPS finds you. I'll post up more of my experiences with it as time goes on. But I have to say, this is my 4th Android car stereo and it's really great so far.
    IThoughts
    Theres a lot of praise for atoto which there should be, this device is much smoother than the A6 and i would say even better value for money if you can get it cheap and sell your A6. However there a few issues that i managed to find in just 30 minutes. BUT damn, this thing is quick, and only £60 more than the A6 sometimes. I dont think ill upgrade again. hopefully i can sell the A6 for a good enough amount to cover the cost of this upgrade.

1) Z LINK - this does not work well with android auto (ironic this an android head unit). There is a DPI issue, spotify icon does not scale properly, whether thats my p30 pro or the app i am not sure yet. Right hand side does not work for us in the UK, always showing left hand side arrangement.

2) finger gestures - we should be able to choose this but minor in the grand scheme

3) AUDIO - oh audio, so much promise. Can definitely be fixed with software updates tho. other asked for help in setting a nice eq setting, so far a smooth v shape from +5 at the low, 0 at the mids and +6 at the high is doing well. There is a catch, turn off audio delay ( the distances are too small to make a difference imo and makes it sound weird, comes set up for left and side tho i believe).
    Subwoofer RCA is 0.8v so be aware. I am not sure how to even amplify such a small signal

4) in car calls - The new system is SICK. with all the reviews ive seen, i cannot stress how good the s8 handles calls. new pop up is small and out of the way, can pick up and hang up like usual. On top of that you can change weather you want handset or car audio if you want to make a private call! and lastly, floating number pad!!

5) horsepower - since Z link is for me subpar with AA, i am using headunit reloaded. The a6 could barely handle 720p and it had to be done with software. now i run AA at 720p with hardware acceleration! buttery smooth, feels like it was design by a name brand. I will use Zlink for car play but HUR for AA.

6) some of my contacts were also delete -_- (Fix: turn off sync for contacts. then roll back changes to your account and hour or to yesterday)