Atoto S8 General Discussion

Search This thread
May 27, 2022
Hi All,

Really like my newish S8 Ultra, but there is one bug I haven't been able to fix.

I use the USB I cable for wired CarPlay, and the second USB cable on that plug I am using for TPMS. The trouble is, the TPMS doesn't connect when the CarPlay is connected. Remove CarPlay on the unit from the running apps list, and the TPMS works great. Start CarPlay again, and the TPMS doesn't detect the TPMS interface.

Any suggestion on how I can get both working? If I need to plug in the second pair of USB cable to achieve it, then I'll do it, but I really don't want to pull it all apart to plug in the second set of USB cables as an experiment, only to have it be no better.

And I am trying to avoid wireless CarPlay. I only go on long trips in this car and so need to plug in the phone for charging - much prefer the stability of the wired CarPlay and since the phone is going to be plugged in, I might as well use wired CarPlay.

Thanks in advance.

Icecosta

Jun 28, 2009
Hi guy's, i recently installed an S8 standard, i also got an external powered dab aerial and connected to the headunit using a usb dab receiver, one of those that are usually used with window antennas.

My question is can i get a better dab receiver to connect the antenna to the headunit, I'm not 100% satisfied with the reception and the antenna is great so I'm guessing it's the receiver that isn't the best.

Catches signal very well, but loses signal pretty fast under certain circumstances like under a bridge, the fm antenna works fine but the dab immediately fails even in a short bridge, everything else is connected to this antenna and works fine, fm/gps no issue whatsoever.

Any suggestions? 🤔

May 27, 2022
I expect the issue is the antenna, not the DAB receiver. You might be able to run an antenna amplifier on your existing antenna, provided the amplifier is one suitable for DAB, and most likely provided your car doesn't already have a built in antenna amplifier.

03hdfatboy

Sep 4, 2009
I wanted a screen protector as I intend to off road in the desert and sand gets everywhere....
The ones that came with the unit were horrible, but I found some I really like on AliExpress for my Atoto S8 Ultra Gen 2. These are 9H tempered glass:
I ordered the 153x85mm size. This leaves a bit of room on each edge, about 1 mm. This allows for easier installation and removal.
Install was VERY easy compared to those silly plastic ones.
You can see the edge of the protector in the picture below.
iP1Kx4pCfvgyZyX2lRxLLqxfi5hg-Z_lRNj-gsUySuQmjpj8b8vWBRnBpK550CnHYoz8RLwi5HAB77yCegaJNfY4m_BIQd9NwffC6tfdczIKR-vJvrM6_3KPN1RFalDG2-rnGDhTTODzQ0_izcJ8oUJ6Xn27_c25Q7Ure6Y2diQiVdNB5bBAts3yvNXVWTa7FXdF8MRwvyedek6SnrxcuQobEmSvgEv70Udf7oOET9OmcguDKnxBBVTHkpLoLOKCI2muNmOohV6ib_UfLDpywf_Lf6x_VZ-IgOoHROac5ZNrwGbJfQr7noa0dYTRCyPNgpvmg65MC5crGDXzh0XKpgZcJGkRrJwD6D9Bs46wLJuLUL1zltkklTSh4q5NNCRoVg516HqI9SZndhYos5dJ78Br1H32WmAOY-kaAV3toER_O_adlgyzbHoerZXs2D1QOZ3ISSC5pkMQAyeXye_eejeh58YORahadxFY71UkQ-0t0j9H2Y_ARB4X5xMmAYkl57D33-wclqnT7ulskq_pXQ5wfmpP77ICqmhjChMZR2KNq8ii-54KglrO2copY4gF7-TFSGxSCA7gLgWrjkXGIVR1rW7XkZfWA8jl70QtKlQ3lNYXMyGYxizfFHMAcRY_zQLaZElBLnX4kHCaJE6j09ZWrtClDFzSty8nSunR_uP7qAcHgKEsUC__-NP8ebwqFkWML3A6-_6nYHvPQsDcc8MY2HoJJDrbnWlcw0BBE2OSI5D6KRJAcdxJpY81=w1080-h810-no
Found this on ebay thanks to your mesurments screen protector

Reactions: vintagephone

03hdfatboy

Sep 4, 2009
The PS2 Slim connected to composite input on my Atoto S8 7" Premium in my '07 Forester XT was fun (takes up the whole glovebox though, and makes my power inverter fan run even with PS2 powered off), but I'm ditching it now that I tried something that I wanted to share with the group:

The PS5 (and probably PS4) gamepad works great on Bluetooth 2 and also via the USB DVR cable. I plugged in an unpaired PS5 gamepad to the USB port and Beach Buggy Racing worked with it immediately and perfectly. I then paired it to BT2 and it also worked perfectly. I tried a couple other games I had installed. Traffic Rider mostly works after setting controls to gamepad. Trials Frontier might or might not work - I haven't sat thru the forced intro yet (I'm a fan of the Trials series). I'll have to try some better driving games and maybe some others that work well with gamepad.

I imagine game compatibility is as expected for PS4/PS5 gamepads on Android. I used to use a program (that required root-access and I can't remember the name of anymore) that would map gamepad buttons/axis to parts of the touchscreen. I used to play Hill Climb Racing 2 a TON and was doing it with a PS4 gamepad for awhile, sitting back and grinding out the coins on an old Android tablet. You could virtually play any Android game with this app, and just navigate around the OS with damn near any gamepad. I see a new app that sounds like it does the same thing called Mantis. I'll check it out and see if it works well.

Next up: Emulators. They'd better give me 8-way DPAD or I'm going to be very upset when I can't slide under the bricks in Super Mario Bros. 1, stage 1-2.
I've got a full blown Linux (MX21) PC in my truck with a 10" screen with nintendo emulators and neary every game every game ever made. Plan to install one in my car connected to my S8 but ill need a HDMI to composite adapter use bluetooth for audio

arkrumm

Aug 6, 2022
Just installed my S8 standard a week or so ago, experimenting with different launchers to see what I like. So far I like the Agama one pretty well, but there are a couple of issues that don't work, and I don't know if it's because it's not compatible or I have done something wrong, so hoping someone might be able to let me know so I stop wasting time if it's not possible, haha.
1) Can't get Google Maps nav to work in the center section. Won't ever connect. Can't find any settings I'm missing. I used the settings apk file from Atoto and that got the music player communicating, but still can't get the map nav to work.
2) Can Agama adjust the volume on the S8? Or are apps not able to do that? I can't get that to work.

Thanks in advance, I've found some good tidbits in this thread, so hoping someone can throw me a bone on these 2 items I'm struggling with.

Just installed my S8 standard a week or so ago, experimenting with different launchers to see what I like. So far I like the Agama one pretty well, but there are a couple of issues that don't work, and I don't know if it's because it's not compatible or I have done something wrong, so hoping someone might be able to let me know so I stop wasting time if it's not possible, haha.
1) Can't get Google Maps nav to work in the center section. Won't ever connect. Can't find any settings I'm missing. I used the settings apk file from Atoto and that got the music player communicating, but still can't get the map nav to work.
2) Can Agama adjust the volume on the S8? Or are apps not able to do that? I can't get that to work.

Thanks in advance, I've found some good tidbits in this thread, so hoping someone can throw me a bone on these 2 items I'm struggling with.
Waze works best for me.

gregrap

Jan 2, 2021
I purchased the ATOTO S8 Ultra Double Din 7 Inch Android Car in-Dash Navigation, and the ATOTO AC-44P2 1080P USB DVR On-Dash Camera. I am in process of installing both.

I am having an issue as I don’t how to plug the camera into the S8 head unit. The camera has a USB end while the head unit has a slot that is for round RCA type plug marked at the back of the head unit as front camera input..... Is there suppose to be an adapter cable? I bought both off of Amazon and the posting stated the two where compatible……… Do I plug the camera into one of the 4 usb extension plugs?

Thanks
yes you can connect the camera to the "DVR" usb input

Reactions: 03hdfatboy

Colemanuk82

Jan 19, 2019
Sounds like something that they would say. They bypass users concerns and, only implement what they feel we should have on a update. If root was possible for this device then we would be in better control. The only reason that I haven't attempted root is because I am unsure if I can recover it from a hard brick if it happened.
Root works completely fine. Check my previous posts... You can download the new firmware images straight from atoto if you need to

peperonikiller

May 22, 2009
Cedar Rapids
Followed the directions to root my S8 Standard (VW Model) and it worked great! It even worked on my buddies S8 Premium. So I can confirm Standard firmware also works on premiums.

Icecosta

Jun 28, 2009
I expect the issue is the antenna, not the DAB receiver. You might be able to run an antenna amplifier on your existing antenna, provided the amplifier is one suitable for DAB, and most likely provided your car doesn't already have a built in antenna amplifier.
Hum the antenna is an external FM/Am GPS Dab Antenna with amplifier built in, it's a new antenna that I installed to replace the old FM/AM antenna the car came originally equipped with, FM works fine, GPS signal is always strong, I'm guessing DAB reception just ain't great where I live, in the city it's almost spotless.

I might still invest in something like this

Just to see if it makes any difference

03hdfatboy

Sep 4, 2009
My background keeps disappearing leaving the background black, does it when I play music. It has the one I set until I play music, It appears to change but when I go back to car launcher it’s not there. Is that a car launcher issue?

Last edited:

badhabit_wb

Jan 17, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hi All,

Really like my newish S8 Ultra, but there is one bug I haven't been able to fix.

I use the USB I cable for wired CarPlay, and the second USB cable on that plug I am using for TPMS. The trouble is, the TPMS doesn't connect when the CarPlay is connected. Remove CarPlay on the unit from the running apps list, and the TPMS works great. Start CarPlay again, and the TPMS doesn't detect the TPMS interface.

Any suggestion on how I can get both working? If I need to plug in the second pair of USB cable to achieve it, then I'll do it, but I really don't want to pull it all apart to plug in the second set of USB cables as an experiment, only to have it be no better.

And I am trying to avoid wireless CarPlay. I only go on long trips in this car and so need to plug in the phone for charging - much prefer the stability of the wired CarPlay and since the phone is going to be plugged in, I might as well use wired CarPlay.

Thanks in advance.
I have an s8 premium gen 2. I put in the wireless android auto firmware and use that to connect to AA, Tpms app works fine when using it this way. There's also a way to switch it off if you don't want to use it. It works great with my pixel 6 pro.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Long story short. The last update I did on my ATOTO S8 Pro Plus S8G2B75PL made Bluetooth,internal and external mic break. I was able to get Bluetooth back working by browsing the net finding a script file to upload. The funny thing is on Bluetooth 1 I can hear the person on the other end of the call but when I try to talk to them they can not hear me at all. When I switch to Bluetooth 2 the person on the other end of the call can hear me just fine. I just can’t hear them. I’ve tried 2 different brand mics and 2 different recording apps. I’ve also contacted customer service about the issue. Needless to say they were no help. I was wondering if anyone else has run into a similar situation and may know how to fix this issue.
    Uh, that's not how BT1 and 2 are supposed to work or be used.

BT2 is the original android Bluetooth stack and is incapable of making calls. BT1 is a separate Bluetooth chip that is used for incoming audio connections (since Android is designed for outgoing not incoming, this is a feature added to radios like ours).
    There's no way you "switch to BT2" that makes any kind of sense to me unless you really are confused to the point that you used BT2 to connect to BT1 (which, since they are separate chips, it technically can see itself and connect) creating a loop of audio with no mic. But it doesn't explain how on earth you'd place a call that way, this makes no sense to me at all.

What kind of script did you find and why was support no help? Support has always been helpful unless you went ahead and tried to flash something made for different hardware and fubared your system before asking them?
    hi, i got the S8 premium, honestly very satisfied so far from the sound and features, although there are many things I am still exploring. When I connect my android phone (AA) I have the connection with my USB 2tb SSD (exFAT) dropping and I need to unplug and replug the drive for the system to see it again. i understand that a USB hub can solve the issue when connecting the phone via USB. Any known solution for wireless connection that you know? mthx in advance
    FWIW, I use this 4 port USB 3.0 hub (https://a.co/d/azTaKgI) with my Atoto S8G2A74SD S8 Gen II 7" head unit (https://a.co/d/jiRgl2E) and it works flawlessly...
    Welcome! Please feel free to ask for help or share your experience with the Atoto S8 line of head units.

Current lineup:

S8 Standard S8G2A71S(2GB/16GB)
    S8 Pro Version S8G2A75P(4GB/32GB)
    S8 Ultra

attachment.php

Tips/Notes
    • Ensure your Google contacts are backed up if you allow the HU to access them. It has been known to delete them. You can disable Contact Sync from the Accounts section in Settings.
    • Developer Options can be enabled via the repeated clicking under 'About', but to access the menu, you need a play store program that will take you directly to it. A lot of alternative launchers provide a way to access them.
    • The ONLY USB connection that USB debugging works on is USB1 --> Phone Link. For it to work, you need to change the "computer connection" to whatever the SECOND option is [untranslated]. This can be selected from the top right menu in Developer Options
    • File down the very end, outer part of the wire harness clip, and it will go in all the way and latch like it's supposed it. Just needs to clear the casing by 1/16" or less.
    • On at least the first batch of S8's there is a chance the RCA Rear and Front outputs are incorrect and need swapped. The labels are incorrect.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got mine in this afternoon and installed it in my 86 Ford truck this evening. Prior to that I set it up via the AC adapter (sold separately).
    I know there are a lot more fleshed out reviews out there but here's my take on it.
    I really liked the A6Y Pro. It started out really strong and for 95% of the time it did what was needed. When you consider it's a head unit so it encompasses a lot more than just an Android tablet, it really is impressive. Everything it did, it did well - it just did it kind of slowly. It got pretty sluggish at times when trying to switch between a lot of apps and installing apps from the app store was painfully slow. It should be noted that in just the normal run of the mill drive when you are listening to a single music/radio app or navigation it did great. It was really just when I was sitting in my truck messing with it that one noticed these things. So take those complaints as being a tad bit critical.
    In comes the S8. I didn't have any plans of getting the S8 initially but since I am still working on the interior of the truck I am restoring I felt like it made sense to get the latest version before finalizing the wiring and dash.
    Right off the bat, it's noticeably faster and more responsive. I could install my apps from the app store about as fast as I could click them. Even the cold boot wasn't much slower than my phone (A6Y Pro would go through the 'Optimizing app' process every time and that took awhile). The status bar has changed quite a bit in that the navigation is at the top left vs the bottom. The three primary buttons work really well there and the split screen feature works slick.
    This is a personal preference but while I like the new status bar approach, I wouldn't mind seeing a way to style it differently. I am not a huge fan of colors up there like is seen when a phone is connected.

As I said, there are better video reviews out there but let me just say that if you have the A6Y and feel like you are pushing it, the S8 is the answer for you.
    Additionally the Atoto support team is very quick to respond (realize that hours may differ from where you are) and is extremely helpful. That's a huge plus especially with the S8 being fairly new to market.

Items of note that I have found:
    1. LastPass and FCC Launcher.
    Both need Accessibility Services but when trying to grant them and click OK I am unable to due to a message of: "Because an app is obscuring a permission request, Settings can't verify your response"
    There may be other apps that will run into this issue also or if someone has tried either one of these and they don't have the issue granting it, please let me know

2. RCA Rear and Front outputs are incorrect
    This one threw me for a minute. I am using the RCA FR and FL for my door component speaks and am joining the RR and RL for my Hideaway sub. Turns out in the first shipment of S8's the ports are backwards so you will need to hook the Fronts to the RL/RR and vice versa. I am told that the next shipment will have this resolved. Those are the only RCA outputs I have used so far as the male part of my rear view camera RCA cable fell off when removing the A6Y Pro so I have to wait for a new connector to come in so I can repair it.
    To bad Atoto is not monitoring this thread to help it's customer's a little bit with these type of questions.
    Guys, there's a new radio app available for the Atoto S8!!! I already tested this and it actually works!
    It's the only radio app besides the native one (well and any from other FYT head units) that actually works with our head unit. :D
    I have a few apps installed on my S8 Gen2. These apps are not able to write to the SD card. Nor can I enable access. When the app tries to open a dialog to grant access it fails. I cannot recall the messages but it seems to say that some system component is missing. I have tried to grant access from the settings -> apps -> permissions but each app seems to already have Storage permission.

Any ideas?
    I've rooted phones before but what do I gain/loose by rooting my headunit?

For the vast majority of users they don't need to root. If the system does what they want then leave well enough alone.

I've rooted all my Android devices since the original Google G1, with the exception of my Sony TVs. For me, rooting gives me full control of my device. I can backup all my apps along with their settings and I can easily restore them. I can block ads (I hate the ads in Waze). I can transfer files back and forth via ADB wireless for the ATOTO (none of the usb ports work for ADB). For the ATOTO, I want to fix the bloody buttons that don't open the correct app. Why in the world would I want the microphone button to open Google Voice Search and search the web instead of Google Assistant that I can open apps and have it make calls with. The AC-44F5 also is hard coded to open the FCAM app instead of being able to change it to open the HDDVR app.

I was really dissapointed to loose the rear cam calibration settings after spending 90 minutes measuring and calibrating the rear camera. So I was not going to go through that again unless I can backup the apps and the settings. Swift Backup gives me that.

So root if you want full control over your device, otherwise leave well enough alone and run the stock firmware.