• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

ATOTO S8 - System Contents

Search This thread

buffaloquinn

That sucks. I've always got at least a half dozen SD cards floating around. I use them in USB readers as flash drives and a number of my laptops have built in SD readers as well.
I'm going to drag one of my laptops out to the car this morning to try my luck at ADB.
So. Good news is I got ADB working. The Developer Options three dot second USB choice allows for the computer connection. Unfortunately, it resets on reboot. So if I ADB reboot bootloader, it restarts in fastboot mode but it is no longer connected to the computer. Haven't been able to figure a way around this. It's there any way to send fastboot commands by a connected keyboard perhaps?

buffaloquinn

I spent the better part of 4 hours today setting up the connection between my new ATOTO S8 Pro and my laptop. After getting USB debugging working, and a functional adb shell, I pulled off everything that I could copy with the limited permissions I had.

To be clear, I have NOT rooted the headunit. I'm a little leery about doing it, as I don't want to break anything, and as of right now, there is no way to restore the headunit back to factory like you would with, say, a Pixel phone.

BUT, for those of you who are curious here is my compressed system dump (or rather, adb pull) of everything I could get my hands on while in a factory state.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13llpDmcNc5pyKbOIePn1hdDYxXd5iPeP/view?usp=sharing

INTERESTING TIDBITS:
* There is a "fastboot mode". Accessed by the usual "adb reboot fastboot" (still seeing what I can do with it)
* After around 6m 30s, fastboot mode will automatically reboot the unit back into the OS. Fastboot activity MAY reset the idle timer, not sure yet.

* There is NO "recovery mode". "adb reboot recovery" simply reboots the unit. May or may not be a recovery like most phones. Still digging.
* Seems the bootloader is unlockable. I have not done it though. You can activate the "bootloader unlock" option in developer options.
* To access Developer Options, you do the usual button mashing on "About", but to access the actual menu, you need a play store program that will take you directly to it.
* The ONLY USB connection that USB debugging works on is USB1 --> Phone Link. For it to work, you need to change the "computer connection" to whatever the SECOND option is (I'm not translating it)
* File down the very end, outer part of the wire harness clip, and it will go in all the way and latch like it's supposed it. Just needs to clear the casing by 1/16" or less. EASY FIX!

If I find any more interesting things while I have this, I'll update the information here. If YOU decide to root yours, let me know how it goes. I don't have another $340 to spare to buy another one. I'm poor. lol
When I did "ADB reboot fastboot" I got nothing. When I did " ADB reboot bootloader" I got a line that said "fastboot mode" at the top of the screen, but nothing else. No menu. Did you get a fastboot menu?
Also the USB computer connection mode resets on reboot, so you don't have access to the unit anymore after the reboot command. Haven't found a workaround, have you?

JMeister234

Mar 16, 2011
Mississauga
When I did "ADB reboot fastboot" I got nothing. When I did " ADB reboot bootloader" I got a line that said "fastboot mode" at the top of the screen, but nothing else. No menu. Did you get a fastboot menu?
Also the USB computer connection mode resets on reboot, so you don't have access to the unit anymore after the reboot command. Haven't found a workaround, have you?
If you have fastboot, then you can try
$ fastboot boot patched_boot.img

Can you "su" in adb shell?

buffaloquinn

If you have fastboot, then you can try
$ fastboot boot patched_boot.img

Can you "su" in adb shell?
I think you missed the point. Although I can get ADB to reboot into FASTBOOT, I cannot send any commands to it because the head unit reset the USB connection on reboot so Fastboot just sits there waiting for a connection. I haven't tried "su" in the ADB shell yet. I also want to try it in Termux on the head unit.
BTW, I did get ATOTO to send me the update file for my unit.

JMeister234

Mar 16, 2011
Mississauga
I think you missed the point. Although I can get ADB to reboot into FASTBOOT, I cannot send any commands to it because the head unit reset the USB connection on reboot so Fastboot just sits there waiting for a connection. I haven't tried "su" in the ADB shell yet. I also want to try it in Termux on the head unit.
BTW, I did get ATOTO to send me the update file for my unit.
Cool.

Because I found the below link which is basically what I'm trying to do for the Ultra, which they did for Joying using the same scripts. I just need to remount /system as rw and then I can copy su/busybox into /system/xbin/

Amazon sent me a 64gb card overnight so I'm trying this again.

JMeister234

Mar 16, 2011
Mississauga
Amazon sent me a 64gb card overnight so I'm trying this again.

Update: And then I patched the boot.img file and flashed it using DD, only to be thrown into a boot loop.

I reached out to Atoto and they suggested unplugging the car for 10 min...

I added the clean MicroSD and on booting the first time after the 10 min battery disconnect, it relflashed the unit.

So that's good to know....

Before patching, I was able to use the script to copy over su and busybox and chmod them but that didn't get a rootchecker pass.

Are there special su for Android 8? The root kit was for KitKat.

buffaloquinn

Update: And then I patched the boot.img file and flashed it using DD, only to be thrown into a boot loop.

I reached out to Atoto and they suggested unplugging the car for 10 min...

I added the clean MicroSD and on booting the first time after the 10 min battery disconnect, it relflashed the unit.

So that's good to know....

Before patching, I was able to use the script to copy over su and busybox and chmod them but that didn't get a rootchecker pass.

Are there special su for Android 8? The root kit was for KitKat.
It is my understanding that root kits that worked on KitKat are pretty much useless on higher versions.

JMeister234

Mar 16, 2011
Mississauga
It is my understanding that root kits that worked on KitKat are pretty much useless on higher versions.
I found an Oreo root kit from a Samsung S7/Oreo and I'll use that instead.
Only two files are required + the two binaries (under /root on the sdcard):

lsec6521update
lsec_updatesh/lsec.sh

mount -o rw,remount /system
cp /storage/sdcard1/root/su /system/xbin/su
chmod 6775 /system/xbin/su
cp /storage/sdcard1/root/busybox /system/xbin/busybox
chmod 6775 /system/xbin/busybox

Pretty simple/quick. I'd rather not flash the Joying boot.img again. It uses the flash/patched boot.img and risk another boot loop.

buffaloquinn

I found an Oreo root kit from a Samsung S7/Oreo and I'll use that instead.
Only two files are required + the two binaries (under /root on the sdcard):

lsec6521update
lsec_updatesh/lsec.sh

mount -o rw,remount /system
cp /storage/sdcard1/root/su /system/xbin/su
chmod 6775 /system/xbin/su
cp /storage/sdcard1/root/busybox /system/xbin/busybox
chmod 6775 /system/xbin/busybox

Pretty simple/quick. I'd rather not flash the Joying boot.img again. It uses the flash/patched boot.img and risk another boot loop.

Am I to understand you put the above lines of code into the update file?
Did it work?

JMeister234

Mar 16, 2011
Mississauga
Am I to understand you put the above lines of code into the update file?
Did it work?

It works in so much that it was "successful" but not that it appears to do anything.
=> I also copied the Joying script to take a backup/dump all the partitions to IMG files
=> the script itself is like being able to run root commands (but only until it reboots)

I popped out the head unit to remind myself about the set up. I have 4 usb cables coming out of the ultra, split from two actual connection plugs. Being able to "adb" or "fastboot" is still the sticking point. I wished I had bought the lower end models (since adb/fastboot seem to work on those).

buffaloquinn

It works in so much that it was "successful" but not that it appears to do anything.
=> I also copied the Joying script to take a backup/dump all the partitions to IMG files
=> the script itself is like being able to run root commands (but only until it reboots)

I popped out the head unit to remind myself about the set up. I have 4 usb cables coming out of the ultra, split from two actual connection plugs. Being able to "adb" or "fastboot" is still the sticking point. I wished I had bought the lower end models (since adb/fastboot seem to work on those).
I've got the premium and ADB works but it's of limited use since you can't do much without root. If I could input to Fastboot when it reboots into it, I'd be all set, but the computer connection is reset on reboot..

buffaloquinn

So I've made a little bit of progress. Found a link on XDA for updated ADB/FASTBOOT drivers and now I can actually send FASTBOOT commands. It recognizes the unit when it boots and lists it when I do a Fastboot Devices command. It will even reboot back into bootloader when I issue that command. It isn't unlocking the bootloader however. Using either the "Fastboot flashing unlock_bootloader" or "Fastboot flashing oem unlock" just returns a line with "..." on the computer & it just waits there.
It seems like it's waiting for something from the unit, but there is nothing on the unit screen. I'm wondering if I'm supposed to press one or more of the buttons to initiate something. Haven't got a clue.

buffaloquinn

Ok not sure why you can't ADB, makes no sense. Try updating via this link. This is the guy that finally got my computer to run Fastboot commands to the head unit.

b0b88

Aug 17, 2017
Ok not sure why you can't ADB, makes no sense. Try updating via this link. This is the guy that finally got my computer to run Fastboot commands to the head unit.
i'm following all of this closely lol, I thought your other post was the newest update... now I realize there are still issues... I am really stupid excited to possibly root this damn thing, all so I can keep PDAnet from closing and lagging because its always running in the background XD and maybe play with some other things as well. i did try to flash the s8 premium with the ultras firmware and it threw an error and rebooted without any problems. I'll wait for atoto to hand me the premium firmware before I play anymore :) I definitely think you are onto something and i'll really delve into the russian site, my wife is russian so maybe she can help translate some things :)

jayone24

Jul 23, 2021
hello
I have the last atoto s8 gen 2, does anyone know how to acces the hidden menu for the carlink app ? I saw this menu the very first time I launch it but now it never appears...

Sifimaso

Jun 24, 2021
Hi guys how can i fix the issue Drm Widevine L1 on the Atoto S8 Plus Gen2 my device is rooted
thanks to Xda user who helped me and i even manage to google certified it and it passes safety net
but when i try to use streaming apps i get an error Drm failed to initialize or device not supported
i've tried all the magisk drm widevine modules and patches but nothing is seem to work
any help will be appreciated thank you

blk.kalel

Jun 6, 2006
If you don't know this already, you can access OEM settings on the ATOTO unit this way:
Settings>System, click this option four times continually>input 3368, you will enter into the OEM Settings
It did work for me. I eliminated the split screen view on the back up camera through this hidden menu.
BTW, I was able to get to developer's options without a separate app and interestingly my unit came with developer's options already turned on.
It is also not a guarantee that you can unlock the bootloader just because the option appears in developer's mode. These units use a very customized version of Android & it seems some things are still in the settings, but only cosmetically, they don't actually do anything.
Still cant figure out how to get to Developer Options. Can you share the secret?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I spent the better part of 4 hours today setting up the connection between my new ATOTO S8 Pro and my laptop. After getting USB debugging working, and a functional adb shell, I pulled off everything that I could copy with the limited permissions I had.

To be clear, I have NOT rooted the headunit. I'm a little leery about doing it, as I don't want to break anything, and as of right now, there is no way to restore the headunit back to factory like you would with, say, a Pixel phone.

BUT, for those of you who are curious here is my compressed system dump (or rather, adb pull) of everything I could get my hands on while in a factory state.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13llpDmcNc5pyKbOIePn1hdDYxXd5iPeP/view?usp=sharing

INTERESTING TIDBITS:
    * There is a "fastboot mode". Accessed by the usual "adb reboot fastboot" (still seeing what I can do with it)
    * After around 6m 30s, fastboot mode will automatically reboot the unit back into the OS. Fastboot activity MAY reset the idle timer, not sure yet.

* There is NO "recovery mode". "adb reboot recovery" simply reboots the unit. May or may not be a recovery like most phones. Still digging.
    * Seems the bootloader is unlockable. I have not done it though. You can activate the "bootloader unlock" option in developer options.
    * To access Developer Options, you do the usual button mashing on "About", but to access the actual menu, you need a play store program that will take you directly to it.
    * The ONLY USB connection that USB debugging works on is USB1 --> Phone Link. For it to work, you need to change the "computer connection" to whatever the SECOND option is (I'm not translating it)
    * File down the very end, outer part of the wire harness clip, and it will go in all the way and latch like it's supposed it. Just needs to clear the casing by 1/16" or less. EASY FIX!

If I find any more interesting things while I have this, I'll update the information here. If YOU decide to root yours, let me know how it goes. I don't have another $340 to spare to buy another one. I'm poor. lol
    We you or anyone able to root this device?
    As far as I know, no one has rooted this device. Having bricked a much cheaper unit attempting root, I'm reluctant to be the first one to try on this one.