• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Atrix is FM radio capable, will they enable it?

Search This thread

youareme7

Mar 30, 2010
Madison, WI

netboy

Jun 30, 2008
Any added feature is welcome and there are people who like to listen to radio DJs and talk shows.

Inspiredwire

Jul 16, 2010
I care. Not necessarily for listening to Top 40 radio, but getting local traffic, weather, emergency information without having to rely on Internet access through ATT. Second, my local gym broadcasts TV sound over FM.

According to the Broadcom specs. this chip can also transmit over FM (perhaps to car FM for listening to stored music?). So why waste a bunch of $ for a clunky FM transmitter when it's built right in to the phone?

Somebody out there must have the technical prowess to figure it out.

hotleadsingerguy

Jan 12, 2010
Who cares? Radio Zzzzzz that's why Pandora etc. exists. FM is lame, crap quality and commercial bloated.

Most people don't care about listening *TO* FM radio...it's about broadcasting *ON* FM radio. The ability to broadcast your music over FM means you could play music in your car without plugging it in or using bluetooth.

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Looking at how at&t went far and beyond to cripple this phone, i doubt they will enable anything on it.
Disable more features with the upcoming update is more likely.

kenyu73

Mar 4, 2010
Upstate NY
Install Tunein radio. Most stations stream over the internet and this app makes it nice and simple to grab these radio stations.

James62370

Feb 22, 2007
Install Tunein radio. Most stations stream over the internet and this app makes it nice and simple to grab these radio stations.

Thank you for your suggestion, but I already have Tunein Radio, however there are some stations which I like to listen to which are not available on that app. Also, where I live, Internet Access comes and goes so I cannot do my walk/run without constant interruption with Tunein Radio.

Hopefully there will be some sore of remedy soon like what they have done with other Motorola phones.

mn3kgtvr4

Nov 9, 2007
Ridiculous that FM isn't enabled. I bought mine a week ago and just assumed it had FM since my last 3 phones had it. Never thought it wouldn't so didn't check! I've got an awesome local station called The Current that I can't live without and really don't care to risk data overage charges just to listen to it on my phone. Silly ATT.

ixohoxi

Apr 24, 2011
San Francisco
Well not everyone uses Atrix on AT&T. I use Simple Mobile, which is on T-Mobile, and can only use EDGE. So FM receiver are very welcome (also transmitter).

I'll use my example here: Also Atrix was just made available in Thailand where Internet radio is really unpopular. Although that there are several 3G providers in Thailand, the quality and consistency are on the low par. More than that, the 3G coverage is very limited. On the other hand, traditional FM radio is very very common and popular across the country so phones without FM capabilities are the first to be easily cut off from the customer's choices.

crnkoj

Feb 16, 2011
the atrix doesnt have an RF chip and an antenna for the FM radio, so it FM radio is quite surely not doable as such

chria01

Sep 7, 2007
I assume he is talking about the hdmi webtop that is disabled unless you buy the expensive dock.

eedna

Mar 11, 2011
the tvs at my gym broadcast on fm, id appreciate this considering i still cant use netflix so im formatting and adding/deleting tv shows to watch on the treadmill every couple of days now

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This has been covered many times. We do not have the hardware to run fm radio.

We do have the hardware, it's just missing a connection.

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium
    Its for saving 0.05$ of production costs
    This has been covered many times. We do not have the hardware to run fm radio.
    the fm is part of the bcm4329 module, and the antenna is usually the headphones
    Using TuneIn and IHeartRadio are nice, but they don't address three main reasons people want to use the built-in FM radio in the first place.

1. People don't want to cut into their capped monthly data plans.
    2. People want to be able to use FM radio when the network is unavailable (e.g. emergency weather alerts).
    3. People want to be able to access FM broadcasts that aren't available over the network (e.g. gym tv's, drive-in theaters).