ATT Galaxy S4..Just Received An Update

Search This thread

hamzer11

Dec 5, 2010
Did you uninstall anything using Titanium? I used Kies to return phone to stock and then applied the update. If you've removed certain files the update will freeze like that.

Also, I didn't have to remove root.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

No, not at all. All I did was root. patch the stock email app to remove security, and then disable the bloat. I just removed my root manually and tried again. Still getting fail at 27%. Very strange. I no longer have the custom screen either after removing root and rebooting twice. It doesn't like something. Maybe I should re-enable all the stock junk?

It doesn't say install failed. It says install interrupted for some reason.

StolenVW

Mar 20, 2012
Elizaville
No, not at all. All I did was root. patch the stock email app to remove security, and then disable the bloat. I just removed my root manually and tried again. Still getting fail at 27%. Very strange. I no longer have the custom screen either after removing root and rebooting twice. It doesn't like something. Maybe I should re-enable all the stock junk?

It doesn't say install failed. It says install interrupted for some reason.

You need the bloat and unlatched email also

Phone needs to be 100% stock for the ota

Ota normally works with root installed and normally removes

hamzer11

Dec 5, 2010
You need the bloat and unlatched email also

Phone needs to be 100% stock for the ota

Ota normally works with root installed and normally removes

So to confirm you are saying I need to enable all the apps I disabled and put back the unpatched email apks?

jgruberman

Dec 6, 2011
Dallas
Wow... they weren't kidding... this update really did speed the phone up.

Sounds like what I do at work.... try and quietly fix things based on feedback and slip the update in without telling anyone it was ever broken and acknowledging my first mistake :)

stevehkim

Oct 29, 2011
So I odin back to try and get this ota to work. Odin flashed fine phone rebooted and first thing I saw was the custom lock icon. After everything loaded everything on my screen was just how i left it. Isnt odin supposed to bring me back to completely fresh firmware?

ATT S4 Rooted. Beastin.

highaltitude

Nov 4, 2010
NC
Did you uninstall anything using Titanium? I used Kies to return phone to stock and then applied the update. If you've removed certain files the update will freeze like that.

Also, I didn't have to remove root.

Not true, I had uninstalled apps with TB, days ago, this morning I got the message in my status bar saying software update. I clicked it, ran it and installed it just fine all within 5 minutes, though I do have a kicka$$ 450mbps router with 35mbps Internet

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

SysAdmNj

Jun 29, 2010
I dont see a huge increase in speed as I wasnt lagging that much before but I do notice more heat from the processor. Anyone else?

milicigoran

Oct 22, 2012
Seattle, WA
I froze a bunch of apps with TB, froze not uninstaled, and I received the Ota. Re rooted the phone with motochoper and from the first impressions battery life is easy better. In 6 hours and 1.5 hours of screen time I only lost 30 percent. Before for 1.5 hours of screen time I would lose about 50 percent.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Plus the benchmark scores improved in both valermo and geek bench after the update.

_Burst_

May 20, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I'm guessing it forces you to update after awhile huh.
I tried to push it off but this morning the notification was gone and my numbers all match the latest update. doh! >_<
Oh well. I could tell as soon as I picked the phone up home much more responsive it was.

deepen915

May 8, 2013
So I rooted my phone last week. Also used Titanium backup to remove the AT&T apps, bloatware etc. Nothing system critical, just AT&T stuff. Now I tried to update today and it keeps failing at 30pct. I have used the instructions on the forums to remove the root, so i'm unrooted. What am I doing wrong? Can I restore to stock firmware like the post above says through Kies? and then try?

freemeech

Sep 3, 2009
Atlanta, Ga
Same for me only mine is saying I am currently on the newest software when I'm on the firmware it shipped with ...I uninstalled root as well..please help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium

SysAdmNj

Jun 29, 2010
I did the update with root, doubt root has anything to do with it. It will just remove root if you dont back it up.

Mine says Sat Apr 27 17:06:05 KST 2013 for kernel version

before the update it said Tue Apr 9.

Make sure your at&t software updater and fw updater arent frozen or disabled.

Cali3350

Jan 26, 2011
S-Health walking app is actually working for me now. Before the Steps Taken would always randomly reset and change throughout the day for no reason. Its been consistent and good all day today. Cheers to that!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Re-rooted... Works fine...

Don't spread rumors until you've done it for yourself.....

All rooted apps, like seeder and root explorer on mine has been confirmed after OTA
    As many have discovered through testing, the new kernel does not restrict root access..I took a quick look at the ARM code and saw no remnants. For now, ATT is playing nice with the kernel. This will all be moot once we have the BL unlocked and custom kernels. My S4 should be here tomorrow :)
    I lost root with the update, but I got it back using the motochopper method, no problems.
    I would not up-date the OTA ...

Although I'm in Canada, using an S4 with an unlocked bootloader, I would highly recommend that my friends with an AT&T device NOT install the OTA.

Dan Rosenberg made it very clear when he discovered how to unlock the AT&T bootloader. He said not to do any OTAs until his method is made public later this month following release of the Verizon S4.

His unlocking method may be negated by any OTAs. In the end it may not be a problem but, then again, it could end up being a nightmare for some folks.

Peter
    If you were rooted before can you see if you are still rooted

I used Voodoo OTA RootKeeper to protect root and then restored it no problem after the update.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone