• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

ATT suspending Huawei phones?

Search This thread

bigfire

Feb 25, 2004
I've just sold my Mate 20X, and I put my ATT sim card in it one last time to make sure everything was fine. When I did so, my ATT service was suspended. I had to get them to re-enable my sim card. Talking to ATT, they said it's because they don't support Huawei phones anymore. I used this phone on ATT as my primary phone a year ago and never had any problems. Did I just miss this?

I'm slightly worried it's because I gave out my IMEI to a prospective buyer, but the ATT rep said there was no problem with it being blacklisted, just that they don't allow Huawei phones on the system anymore. I'm very suspicious of this, so I thought I'd check here.

ben63vw

Oct 2, 2010
I'm still using AT&T and T-Mobile on my AL00 without issues
Screenshot_20210225_105923_com.android.settings_edit_311831391453458.jpg
Screenshot_20210225_105928_com.android.settings_edit_311812032994607.jpg

fitrockx

Jul 31, 2013
I've just sold my Mate 20X, and I put my ATT sim card in it one last time to make sure everything was fine. When I did so, my ATT service was suspended. I had to get them to re-enable my sim card. Talking to ATT, they said it's because they don't support Huawei phones anymore. I used this phone on ATT as my primary phone a year ago and never had any problems. Did I just miss this?

I'm slightly worried it's because I gave out my IMEI to a prospective buyer, but the ATT rep said there was no problem with it being blacklisted, just that they don't allow Huawei phones on the system anymore. I'm very suspicious of this, so I thought I'd check here.

Happened to me after testing my sim card in a S20 FE. When I put it back on my Mate 20 X the service got disconnected. Called AT&T they say because I need to update to a 4G phone. I told them that my Mate is 4G and they reactivated without issues. The rep that attended me didn't told me that Huawei was not being accepted anymore from AT&T, just that needed to make sure it supports 4G.

bigfire

Feb 25, 2004
I did try it out with Tmobile later and had no problems, and the buyer hasn't reported any issues, so it sounds like just bad information. Thanks for the info!

D

Deleted member 11523331

kin USa idiots at ATT .. pss message to them from me pls !

CCJ22

Jun 11, 2011
Little Rock
I got a text message today from AT&T saying "we're sending you a phone. if you don't activate it, we will auto activate it after 30 days and your phone you're using now will only be able to call 911"

This is a huge bummer.

AngelDeath

May 12, 2009
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
I only got that they are retiring 3G, but nothing that says they are suspending supporting The phone as they have NEVER supported the phone, so thats a crock of crap. The only thing they can do is turn off the 3g band and if your phone doesnt use 4G then your SOL. Mate 20X uses 4G LTE so they cant touch me and if they do they have alot more to answer for.

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
At least from a test
I only got that they are retiring 3G, but nothing that says they are suspending supporting The phone as they have NEVER supported the phone, so thats a crock of crap. The only thing they can do is turn off the 3g band and if your phone doesnt use 4G then your SOL. Mate 20X uses 4G LTE so they cant touch me and if they do they have alot more to answer for.
That is what I thought BUT I think I found the issue. If you download an app that check the band your phone is using, you will see that for CALLS the 20x with an ATT sim card, will drop to a 3G band not LTE!
Now, if I try a TMobile sim card and make a call, the phone still shows using LTE band so looks like people with TMobile will be able to keep the phone just fine.

loudawg11

Mar 8, 2010
Cincy
I recently experienced the same thing on my Huawei Mate 20x evr-l29. Call AT&t and they unlocked the suspended account and explain to me my phone is registering as a 3G device. I asked them to look at my network history and they clearly see it's using the 4G LTE network without issues. The representative at tech support said they were noting my account to escalate a ticket to not shut off my device come February. She assure me it will continue to work but we will wait and see.

Epiphanysfi

Aug 17, 2012
So I was told that, my wife's Mate 20 x had to activate the new sim card because 3G was tied to the previous sim. Was not the case and they suspended the phone number once I activate the new sim (they also sent a refurbished S9 with the sim). I had to call customer service and escalate for them to reactivate the sim card. I'm now waiting to call their "3G Sunset Department" to try to put my phone on a white list (1-800-880-8581). Seems they are only open during business hours so have to call back then. This has not been a good experience.

Epiphanysfi

Aug 17, 2012
So I had a fiasco with AT&T. Props to the services techs that had to deal with me in store and over the phone. They kept their cool and customer service up there. I've just been trying to keep my cool over these two days spending alot of time going between different people and then also swapping to another sim being told that would fix it.

Mate 20X is no longer supported by AT&T. In the case of new customers. Basically they have black listed the model and IMEI numbers of these phones. So when a sim card is inserted the phone line associated with it will be suspended.

To get around this you have to call customer support to have them activate the SIM card so that it will work. Phone calls and Data will work after that.

For my wife's phone I used to have unanswered calls and busy get forwarded to her google voice. With the problem above with the IMEI number being technically blacklisted I was not able to set up google voice again. Took me a couple of calls and an escalation to an advanced tech to have them set up call forwarding from their side. After that the phone works as before for now until they shut off 3G data in February.

Educational moment: After I did some searching online and also a good talk with that advanced tech I found out the reason that this phone is identified as 3G. I blame AT&T for the lack of educational material being sent out and the training of their staff on the phone.

Good article explanation: https://www.androidauthority.com/volte-att-t-mobile-1148654/

The Mate 20X is a 3G voice phone. Even though it is a 4G LTE capable phone it is not a VoLTE/HD Voice phone. Hence the reason why this phone was identified as a 3G device. So basically when the cutoff date comes in February, the phone will not be able to make phone calls or receive texts. Technically it should still be capable of using the 4G data but take this with a grain of salt because they basically blacklisted the IMEI/Model of this phone. So they could just force these to not work anymore.

Here's a list from AT&T that will still work after the change to 3G: https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/wireless/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf

This is their current compatibility list for unlocked phones: https://www.att.com/idpassets/image...Capabilities-Unlocked-Devices-ATT-Network.pdf

Reactions: blackhawk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I had a fiasco with AT&T. Props to the services techs that had to deal with me in store and over the phone. They kept their cool and customer service up there. I've just been trying to keep my cool over these two days spending alot of time going between different people and then also swapping to another sim being told that would fix it.

Mate 20X is no longer supported by AT&T. In the case of new customers. Basically they have black listed the model and IMEI numbers of these phones. So when a sim card is inserted the phone line associated with it will be suspended.

To get around this you have to call customer support to have them activate the SIM card so that it will work. Phone calls and Data will work after that.

For my wife's phone I used to have unanswered calls and busy get forwarded to her google voice. With the problem above with the IMEI number being technically blacklisted I was not able to set up google voice again. Took me a couple of calls and an escalation to an advanced tech to have them set up call forwarding from their side. After that the phone works as before for now until they shut off 3G data in February.

Educational moment: After I did some searching online and also a good talk with that advanced tech I found out the reason that this phone is identified as 3G. I blame AT&T for the lack of educational material being sent out and the training of their staff on the phone.

Good article explanation: https://www.androidauthority.com/volte-att-t-mobile-1148654/

The Mate 20X is a 3G voice phone. Even though it is a 4G LTE capable phone it is not a VoLTE/HD Voice phone. Hence the reason why this phone was identified as a 3G device. So basically when the cutoff date comes in February, the phone will not be able to make phone calls or receive texts. Technically it should still be capable of using the 4G data but take this with a grain of salt because they basically blacklisted the IMEI/Model of this phone. So they could just force these to not work anymore.

Here's a list from AT&T that will still work after the change to 3G: https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/wireless/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf

This is their current compatibility list for unlocked phones: https://www.att.com/idpassets/image...Capabilities-Unlocked-Devices-ATT-Network.pdf