ATT VOLTE OP 5T (And possibly other phones)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

apophis9283

Forum Moderator /Inactive Recognized Developer
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Somewhere in the static of the Universe
I was able to get VOLTE working by "manipulating" ATT. I dont know if this has been discussed or anything, all I can say is it's verified.

You need the IMEI of a device that has been "greenlighted" by ATT to have VOLTE. Leave your OP 5t setup alone. Sim card in and everything.

Chat with att or call them and tell them to assign the IMEI number to your phone number. It took about a day for it to go through. I went in and used the Magisk Module to enable VOLTE. Sure enough VOLTE works fine. Its just fooling their system into thinking the device is "greenlighted".

Edit: I guess when I sat down to write this, it may not be totally clear.

1) You have to have a device with a good IMEI, you arent changing the IMEI.

2) You want ATT to Apply that IMEI that came with the phone you are going to use for the IMEI.

It triggers their system to think the device is greenlighted for volte, even if you use your OP 5t (or other phone).

Theres nothing illegal, its just a loop hole Ive found in their system since they dont want to play nice with VOLTE and phones they dont sell. That S6 was mine and had a good IMEI. Its sitting next to me.

Just wanted to go on record and in a little more depth of what I was doing and how it was working, Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused. I do go on record stating, I told the ATT tech what I was doing and all he said was "thats clever". He still did it for me. So I dont even think you would have to lie to be honest,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171209-220155.jpg
    Screenshot_20171209-220155.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 826
Last edited:
Reactions: Ideas4ya

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
I was able to get VOLTE working by "manipulating" ATT. I dont know if this has been discussed or anything, all I can say is it's verified.

You need the IMEI of a device that has been "greenlighted" by ATT to have VOLTE. Leave your OP 5t setup alone. Sim card in and everything.

Chat with att or call them and tell them to assign the IMEI number to your phone number. It took about a day for it to go through. I went in and used the Magisk Module to enable VOLTE. Sure enough VOLTE works fine. Its just fooling their system into thinking the device is "greenlighted".

2) You want ATT to Apply that IMEI that came with the phone you are going to use for the IMEI.

It triggers their system to think the device is greenlighted for volte, even if you use your OP 5t (or other phone).

Theres nothing illegal, its just a loop hole Ive found in their system since they dont want to play nice with VOLTE and phones they dont sell. That S6 was mine and had a good IMEI. Its sitting next to me.

Just wanted to go on record and in a little more depth of what I was doing and how it was working, Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused. I do go on record stating, I told the ATT tech what I was doing and all he said was "thats clever". He still did it for me. So I dont even think you would have to lie to be honest,

Well there are 2 things about that.

1. Xda doesnt condone committing fraud which is what you are doing. It doesnt matter if you own the other phone or not.
2. ATT also does random scans where they pull the imei from active devices to update the accounts.

Last edited:

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
I have an LG G6 on my account as my OP5t and it still doesn't work for me. I tried that on the OP5, having them add an imei of a known ATT phone. They guy scanned a store version of a G6, but no change.

Neo

Sr Mod / Mod Committee / The One / Free Your Mind
Staff member
Aug 4, 2011
The Matrix

1. Xda does condone committing fraud which is what you are doing. It doesnt matter if you own the other phone or not.
2. ATT also does random scans where they pull the imei from active devices to update the accounts.
Says who? I'm sure you meant to say that we DON'T condone the committing of fraud, which would then be an accurate statement.

As to the subject matter however, I have to respectfully disagree here Zel. There is no theft taking place, no exchanging of IMEI information. All this is saying is that you apply a valid IMEI to your account for VoLTE access in a device that typically wouldn't have it. This is simply circumventing the system. Just like allowing threads that talk about circumventing Googles startup security measures for pre-owned phones that were reset while a password encrypted device was in use. Or slipping your working sim card from a device you own and into a new device you purchased from the carrier in an effort to keep from getting charged the upgrade fee once the new provisioned sim becomes active and registers that it is an upgrade.

Yes, XDA does not condone illegal practice and in my strong opinion, this isn't such. I will now take this to the others for clarification and input as I'm sure it will go there without me after making this post

Last edited:
Reactions: mark manning

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
Says who? I'm sure you meant to say that we DON'T condone the committing of fraud, which would then be an accurate statement.

As to the subject matter however, I have to respectfully disagree here Zel. There is no theft taking place, no exchanging of IMEI information. All this is saying is that you apply a valid IMEI to your account for VoLTE access in a device that typically wouldn't have it. This is simply circumventing the system. Just like allowing threads that talk about circumventing Googles startup security measures for pre-owned phones that were reset while a password encrypted device was in use. Or slipping your working sim card from a device you own and into a new device you purchased from the carrier in an effort to keep from getting charged the upgrade fee once the new provisioned sim becomes active and registers that it is an upgrade.

Yes, XDA does not condone illegal practice and in my strong opinion, this isn't such. I will now take this to the others for clarification and input as I'm sure it will go there without me after making this post

But it is not a valid one that is connected to that account. As those features are meant to only work with ATT devices which ATT sales. Meaning that you are taking money from them in a sense that is stealing. You are purposly giving incorrect info (imie that will be used with the sim number) to get things you normally wouldnt unless you bought one of their devices. So i see no difference.

Our threads are a lot of grey with a bunch of double standards really.

You are right. I did mean doesnt.

Reactions: Neo

Neo

Staff member
Aug 4, 2011
The Matrix
But it is not a valid one that is connected to that account. As those features are meant to only work with ATT devices which ATT sales. Meaning that you are taking money from them in a sense that is stealing. You are purposly giving incorrect info (imie that will be used with the sim number) to get things you normally wouldnt unless you bought one of their devices. So i see no difference.

Ah yes, the gray. ATT would obviously check the IMEI before using it. If it has been flagged as stolen, clearly they won't use it. The same if it happens after this has been applied. If it hasn't been reported as being from a stolen device though, it is assumed that the device is owned by that person and I don't see a problem with it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mark manning

mark manning

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
Apr 7, 2010
Nusquam et ubique

1. Xda does condone committing fraud which is what you are doing. It doesnt matter if you own the other phone or not.

I would have to agree with Neo's thoughts. XDA absolutely does not condone fraud.

Like Neo said, there is no exchanging of imei information whatsoever. All this does is unlock a service you already pay for. It reminds me of the old school tethering apps. Therefore, nothing that is being done is illegal. It might trip something in ATTs system but there is a lot of stuff done on XDA that carriers don't like.

Last edited by a moderator:

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
Ah yes, the gray. ATT would obviously check the IMEI before using it. If it has been flagged as stolen, clearly they won't use it. The same if it happens after this has been applied. If it hasn't been reported as being from a stolen device though, it is assumed that the device is owned by that person and I don't see a problem with it.

It doesnt matter if you own the device. Its the devicve that is being used. Which you are flat out lying about so in the text of it you are committing fraud. ATT could very well be in their rights to sue if they found out (not that they really would)

This came up recently in our core stores and 2 ideas are being batted around to fix it.

1. lock sims to imeis
2. Require imei changes on the account to be done in person with the person presenting the device to be verified.

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

I would have to agree with Neo's thoughts. XDA absolutely does not condone fraud.

Like Neo said, there is no exchanging of imei information whatsoever. All this does is unlock a service you already pay for. It reminds me of the old school tethering apps. Therefore, nothing that is being done is illegal. It might trip something in ATTs system but there is a lot of stuff done on XDA that carriers don't like.

You are right I did know that fact. But as of late I am not sure about anything to do with XDA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo

Staff member
Aug 4, 2011
The Matrix
Thread Closed.

EDIT: As an update to this discussion, it has been found that this procedure is not illegal, and is simply either a limitation of the carrier's current system, or circumventing a carrier placed restriction (such as getting tether to work on your device without paying for a tether package). We've allowed these kinds of workarounds for years on XDA, and if ever the carrier or entitled body officially requests/demands removal of the content, we have and will oblige. XDA has always been a site for development, workarounds, exploits, mods, etc. There is an ethics element to this however, depending upon how the IMEI is obtained or by lying to the carriers.

That is all.

[Neo]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thread Closed.

EDIT: As an update to this discussion, it has been found that this procedure is not illegal, and is simply either a limitation of the carrier's current system, or circumventing a carrier placed restriction (such as getting tether to work on your device without paying for a tether package). We've allowed these kinds of workarounds for years on XDA, and if ever the carrier or entitled body officially requests/demands removal of the content, we have and will oblige. XDA has always been a site for development, workarounds, exploits, mods, etc. There is an ethics element to this however, depending upon how the IMEI is obtained or by lying to the carriers.

That is all.

[Neo]

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone