attached is a functioning tun.ko for droid x

Search This thread

mab2

Jul 29, 2010
Because Motorola hasn't provided the .config file for the Droid X yet, I used 'make mapphone_defconfig' and then enabled config_tun in the resulting .config file. That .config file was used to generate tun.ko - it's currently functioning and working on my droid X phone. Since it's not the .config file used by Motorola there may be some oddities, unexpected problems or your house may explode if you use it. I don't take any responsibility for anything that happens if you use this - use it at your own risk.

It hasn't bricked my phone and it's been working without a problem, but your mileage may vary.

Attached is the .config file that was used as well as the tun.ko file :)

Enjoy

Attachments

• config.ko.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,056
  • tun.ko.zip
    70 KB · Views: 2,096
Last edited:
Reactions: DarkWolfx

ses1er

Oct 19, 2007
Would I need the config file or is that just for compiling other kernel modules for the DX?

mab2

Jul 29, 2010
The config file would really only be used to compile other modules. All you need is the tun.ko file

kris7778

Mar 11, 2009
I placed this in /dev/net/tun/tun.ko
then I ran chmod 777 /dev/net/tun/tun.ko
then I ran insmod /dev/net/tun/tun.ko

I then tried the Gui app (get-a-robot-vpnc) and it fails immediately when trying to connect - am I missing something?

I'm new to android. :)

mab2

Jul 29, 2010
I placed this in /dev/net/tun/tun.ko
then I ran chmod 777 /dev/net/tun/tun.ko
then I ran insmod /dev/net/tun/tun.ko

I then tried the Gui app (get-a-robot-vpnc) and it fails immediately when trying to connect - am I missing something?

I'm new to android. :)

Hi,

You should place tun.ko in /sdcard/ or /system/lib/modules (if you have it mounted /system read,write)... I use the app "openvpn settings" - in that program when you go into the settings and choose "advanced" you can click the checkbox next to "load tun kernel module", then in "TUN module settings" set "load module using" to "insmod" and type in the proper path to tun.ko in the "path to tun module" area.

You may need to, as root (su) run:
mkdir /dev/net
busybox mknod /dev/net/tun char 10 100
ln -s /dev/net/tun /dev/tun

Best of luck

kris7778

Mar 11, 2009
Do I need to set the path to the openvpn binary also? (Not sure where this gets installed)

And... what is required in the config file.

This is all I use on linux:
IPSec gateway X.X.X.X
IPSec ID mygroupid
IPSec secret mysecret

thanks!

mab2

Jul 29, 2010
Do I need to set the path to the openvpn binary also? (Not sure where this gets installed)

And... what is required in the config file.

This is all I use on linux:
IPSec gateway X.X.X.X
IPSec ID mygroupid
IPSec secret mysecret

thanks!

Hi Chris,

I think that would be something that the get-a-robot-vpnc folks will have to help you out with.

kris7778

Mar 11, 2009
I got your tun.ko working with the commandline vpnc. It appears that get-a-robot-vpnc is just not quite calling vpnc how i need it to.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

jafcobend

Nov 10, 2010
Invalid module format

I get an invalid module format error while trying to load this module. I am running Froyo if that makes any difference. THX

SOGJC

Jul 27, 2010
Can someone post instructions.....

HI,

Can someone post some instruction how to get the vpn connections working in Droid X? Please...

I can help with a donation.... $$

rhyzar

Oct 9, 2007
Cheyenne
HI,

Can someone post some instruction how to get the vpn connections working in Droid X? Please...

I can help with a donation.... $$
I would love to get some instructions as well. I have a corp 5520 with group authentication that would be very nice to be able to connect to. Anyone successfully connect with the DroidX?

DarkWolfx

Nov 27, 2007
mab2,
As you were able to get this file, is there any way you are able to dump a file so I can use to get EVDO internet settings stick on QPST?

began319

Nov 2, 2010
VPN Connections

Are you rooted?
I will post instructions if needed, I connect to a Cisco ASA and use VPN Connections - works like a charm.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because Motorola hasn't provided the .config file for the Droid X yet, I used 'make mapphone_defconfig' and then enabled config_tun in the resulting .config file. That .config file was used to generate tun.ko - it's currently functioning and working on my droid X phone. Since it's not the .config file used by Motorola there may be some oddities, unexpected problems or your house may explode if you use it. I don't take any responsibility for anything that happens if you use this - use it at your own risk.

It hasn't bricked my phone and it's been working without a problem, but your mileage may vary.

Attached is the .config file that was used as well as the tun.ko file :)

Enjoy