ATTENTION DEVELOPERS AND ROM COOKS

Search This thread

Kinghacker

Jul 21, 2012
Bhandara
Next I await their reply about who to contact about it. I would advise people to start emailing them. Maybe drop a few tech sites the info and see if they will run a story about it. I am not saying spam the site. But don't just accept what they say. Push the issue.

Wayne Tech Nexus

I did email to Karbonn...but they said they same...

Sent from my A9 using Tapatalk 2

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Next I await their reply about who to contact about it. I would advise people to start emailing them. Maybe drop a few tech sites the info and see if they will run a story about it. I am not saying spam the site. But don't just accept what they say. Push the issue.

Wayne Tech Nexus
How about getting a portal story wrote about it?
It then lets the XDA side of things know about it + a lot of sites use XDA portal to publish information on their sites.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
I am not sure if XDA will make a portal post about it as it is not really a wide spread issue and only effect select countries. You could suggest it and see what happens. I would start with local sites though.

Wayne Tech Nexus

Reactions: akshay380

u.k-f

Jan 8, 2013
Lauenau
How about recovery-tools like CWM which also come together with a kernel?

To be fair, your rule about roms must also match such tools, that the kernel source must be available.

regards Uwe

varun.chitre15

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 23, 2011
Sangli
A recovery image (like CWM) also contains a kernel (which is under license of GPL) so why is a recovery completely different to a ROM?

regards Uwe

I had a debate with @zelendel on this. But he isn't ready to believe that all recovery images all over XDA contain kernel i.e zImage which is a fact. In case of some Samsung phones it combines both kernel and recovery partition into single one.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Look guys, The bottom line is that any kernel on XDA has the kernel source posted. This is one of XDA rules and most comply with it. Those that dont are normally from Companies that import their devices from China where GPL laws are not respected.

Now as I stated the recovery source is open to all to be built into the kernel.

u.k-f

Jan 8, 2013
Lauenau
Look guys, The bottom line is that any kernel on XDA has the kernel source posted. This is one of XDA rules and most comply with it. Those that dont are normally from Companies that import their devices from China where GPL laws are not respected.

Now as I stated the recovery source is open to all to be built into the kernel.

Of course the recovery source is open, but it needs to be combined with an appropriate kernel for that device.

Its nearly the same as a ROM, I can take an existing kernel (where the OEM does not provide source) and build a CWM from it.

So when the rule is, that a ROM including such a kernel must not be provided on xda, the rule must also be, a CWM containing such a kernel must alos not be provided on xda

regards Uwe

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Of course the recovery source is open, but it needs to be combined with an appropriate kernel for that device.

Its nearly the same as a ROM, I can take an existing kernel (where the OEM does not provide source) and build a CWM from it.

So when the rule is, that a ROM including such a kernel must not be provided on xda, the rule must also be, a CWM containing such a kernel must alos not be provided on xda

regards Uwe

Look I dont know if you noticed or not but most of the devices here all have the kernel source posted. So this covers the recoveries for that device. If a recovery is being posted for a device that has no kernel source then it is removed.

Now we are working on removing all device threads for device that dont provide kernel source code. Not a big deal really as most provide the source code. Very few do not. Now we can argue about this all we want but this is not a new rule to debate.

u.k-f

Jan 8, 2013
Lauenau
Look I dont know if you noticed or not but most of the devices here all have the kernel source posted. So this covers the recoveries for that device. If a recovery is being posted for a device that has no kernel source then it is removed.

Thanks! That was one part I wanted to hear...

Now we are working on removing all device threads for device that dont provide kernel source code. Not a big deal really as most provide the source code. Very few do not. Now we can argue about this all we want but this is not a new rule to debate.

I never wanted to argue against removing the ROMs!!!

I just want that you notice, that there are recoveries without posting the kernel-source, which is also a violation of GPL!

And it should not be enough that the OEM supplies the kernel-source, but the recovery thread should also link to the kernel source, to follow the principle:

The same rules for all is fair!

regards Uwe

MysteryEmotionz

Sep 7, 2010
Massachussets
What if I was to repack a modified randisk with the stock zimage and make a boot.IMG and my OEM doesn't have available source?

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

MysteryEmotionz

Sep 7, 2010
Massachussets
Doesnt matter as the kernel source code has to be posted with all changes properly documented.

I think this is a step backwards for xda then. I understand GPL n follow GPL for my work.

If the kernel itself is untouched then I don't see the need for the dev to be GPL complaint. I see people moving to other forums that compete with xda n what it is.

Reactions: iHateWebOS

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
I think this is a step backwards for xda then. I understand GPL n follow GPL for my work.

If the kernel itself is untouched then I don't see the need for the dev to be GPL complaint. I see people moving to other forums that compete with xda n what it is.

Its because the min you distribute the kernel you are held to the GPL and are liable for it. So if you distribute a kernel and cant provide the kernel source for the kernel you could have your rights taken away to distribute any kernels at all.

You have to remember that XDA is a developers site not really a rom or kernel site so a kernel without source does no one here any real good.

Reactions: iHateWebOS

MysteryEmotionz

Sep 7, 2010
Massachussets
Its because the min you distribute the kernel you are held to the GPL and are liable for it. So if you distribute a kernel and cant provide the kernel source for the kernel you could have your rights taken away to distribute any kernels at all.

You have to remember that XDA is a developers site not really a rom or kernel site so a kernel without source does no one here any real good.

This I understand but people come here to look to modify there phones. If they can't find what they want here then they'll look else where. You guys frown upon having to links directed to competing forums but now your driving people to use those forums to get what they need or want for there device. Isn't it good practice to keep all traffic coming back as much as possible?

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
This I understand but people come here to look to modify there phones. If they can't find what they want here then they'll look else where. You guys frown upon having to links directed to competing forums but now your driving people to use those forums to get what they need or want for there device. Isn't it good practice to keep all traffic coming back as much as possible?

Then honestly they are coming here for the wrong reasons. We are a developers site first and formost. If they want to just get stuff to flash their devices and dont care about learning then this is not the place for them to be honest.

Reactions: kuma82

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It has come to my attention that roms are being released without Kernel source coded being provided. As per XDA rules and XDA policy please post links to the source code to the kernel included in the rom. If the OEM doesnt provide the source code for their Stock kernel they are in violation of the GPL and in turn Roms for those devices will not be allowed on XDA.
    Ok now that I gave this a day and see it has been seen by many take this as a fair warning.

Threads are to be updated with kernel source links with in 48 hours or the threads will be closed and all links will be removed.

This is not debatable.
    This is for only those roms which are compiled from source... You can't post source of kernel if your rom is stock... But if you compiled kernel from source... The kernel you used in you custom rom then post source for the kernel in your rom thread...
    Thank you...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

This is not so. The kernel source HAS to be made available. If the OEM doesnt provide the kernel source then no rom for that device will be allowed. OEMs post the source code for their kernels. Well most do anyway, the ones that dont are in violation of the GPL laws.
    For my device Micromax A110...Kernel Sources arent released and they wont but its clone device "Mobistel Cynus T2" released Kernel Source...So is that enough??

One Kernel was compiled using it....

And if yes,i will notify Micromax A110 Forum Developers about it :laugh: Sorry if i am disturbing

What ever kernel is in the rom that is posted must have available kernel source. If roms are using the stock kernel and no sources are available then it will be removed. If it is using a custom kernel based on the clone source and a link to the source can be provided then that is fine. But the source MUST match the kernel in the rom.
    I have a question...
    As android is open source... Any one can use its source and make his/her own stuff... What i read is that Linux kernel is licensed under Apache license and anyone can use the source and the new source the developer make are his own now and depends on him if he wants to share it with someone else or not... Like miui is closed source... They don't share there source and also OEM's like Samsung and HTC don't share all source... So why is it so compulsory for devs to post there source?
    I am not sure where i am wrong... I am not offending xda rules... I am just asking what i am missing here... So please correct me where i am wrong...
    Thank you...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

The Linux kernel is licensed under the GPL license not the Apache. Only the kernel source code is required to be posted.

Wayne Tech Nexus