Question ATTN Devs: please look into overclocking panel to 90hz+

Search This thread

lolwatpear

Nov 24, 2011
I know this has been done with other phones. Manufacturers are software capping these panels and hoping they don't eat into their more pricey devices (ie pixel 6/ 6 pro) by performing these anti-consumer practices. It would be grealyt appreciated if we can get higher than pathetic 60hz in 2022.

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Google Pixel 6a
You can't make a 60Hz screen run at 90Hz, but you can make a 90Hz screen run at 60Hz to save battery life.

Odds are Google put a 60Hz screen in the phone to cut down on the overall cost. If they put in a 90 Hz screen, they would have marketed it as such because more people would be attracted to the phone with that feature.

• Haha
Reactions: batp and V0latyle

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
You can't make a 60Hz screen run at 90Hz, but you can make a 90Hz screen run at 60Hz to save battery life.

Odds are Google put a 60Hz screen in the phone to cut down on the overall cost. If they put in a 90 Hz screen, they would have marketed it as such because more people would be attracted to the phone with that feature.
Exactly. "Overclocking" a display panel is difficult at best, impossible at worst. If you want a 90Hz screen, buy a Pixel 6. Don't buy a mid range device and expect premium features.

971shep

Apr 11, 2022

There would be two reasons to throttle the refresh rate; Battery Life and Thermal issues.

Zaxx32

Mar 23, 2019
Morgantown
Moto G5 Plus
Moto G7
120Hz would be insane but I'd gladly take 90Hz...:giggle:

In case some of u haven't heard...

It may take some but this moder is known for boosting refresh rates.
He also said the 6a panel is made by Samsung and is capable 120Hz refresh rates. The story mentions...

"The current solution also requires manually flashing an image to one of the system partitions, which means unlocking your bootloader, breaking SafetyNet, etc., so it could be too big of a pain for most of our readers to attempt."

Oh my!! You mean that shady and back-breaking act of unlocking, rooting and breaking SaftyNet...which can be fixed with a simple Magisk mod!? It's easy to see that AP knows who 'butters it's bread' with tons of advertising...:sneaky:

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
I have only turned my pixel 5 to 90hz maybe a dozen times since owning since release day. I turn it on to play once 6a came out and honestly, 60hz is fine, but everyone different.
I'd just wait for the Pixel 7 if 90hz is a huge issue. Or get a P5 or P5a or P6 :)
Many a good Pixel to choose from.

Reactions: Meloferz

natheux

Jul 7, 2013
between 0 & 1
As it seems when someone express a wish on this thread, it come true... Soooo, what about breaking that 18W charging limit ? :D
(joking)

Last edited:
Looks like the cry babies got their wish of 90hz. I almost wish you hadn't. Its such a dumb thing to complain so heavily about.

Even if it did support 90hz out of the box, 3 of my spare phones support up to 120, and i run them at 60. anything above 60 on such a small screen just personally makes me dizzy.

Hope most of you realize its more than likely a dangerous overclocking game that will wear out the display far more quickly.

Reactions: Meloferz

Zaxx32

Mar 23, 2019
Morgantown
Moto G5 Plus
Moto G7
Most people don't have dizzy issues tho. You prefer 60...that's just fine, but don't rag on other for wanting the best experience possible...esp from a mid-ranger with a flagship processor! Smh...

Most people don't have dizzy issues tho. You prefer 60...that's just fine, but don't rag on other for wanting the best experience possible...esp from a mid-ranger with a flagship processor! Smh...
its the way they complained. Idc what people do or don't enjoy... I'm ragging on it because of the way they IMMEDIATELY complained about a BUDGET DEVICE not having a high end device feature, and demanding hackers/modders find a way to do it. And its definitely not equal to a flagship processor.

Zaxx32

Mar 23, 2019
Morgantown
Moto G5 Plus
Moto G7
The Tensor is the same as in the Pixel 6 Pro...a flagship device.

I agree tho...there were 2 separate threads started, like right off the bat, that shoulda been combined imo and yeah it was annoying...😠

Being a root/mod user and a PC builder on a budget, I guess I am a bit partial... I'm always tryin' to squeeze the BBB outta everything I build/buy. (oh, BBB=Best Bang for the Buck)

With a PC it's easy, if u want better gfx, you buy a better gfx card. If you want faster load times, you get a faster chipset...and so on.
But with a phone you're stuck. U have to buy smart and choose well. For me, the 6a is the best (phone) buy/upgrade I've ever made, coming from a P4a even.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I hope 90Hz will be released in future hentaiOS build. Best solution would be to have it as Magisk module or custom kernel though
    Anyone can share vendor_boot.img for 90 hz mod?
    "pathetic" 60hz is good enough for 85% of people who would by this phone.

Exactly. "Overclocking" a display panel is difficult at best, impossible at worst. If you want a 90Hz screen, buy a Pixel 6. Don't buy a mid range device and expect premium features.
    "pathetic" 60hz is good enough for 85% of people who would by this phone.
    Only thing is I think more like 95%. Anyone concerned that much wouldn't buy the phone. But a 6.1" device... ahh heaven. Never again will I get anything larger.
    As it seems when someone express a wish on this thread, it come true... Soooo, what about breaking that 18W charging limit ? :D
    Big NO..

Don't do it.. You might set your apartment on fire..
    Anyone can share vendor_boot.img for 90 hz mod?